Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pacteau pleads guilty to murder of Karen Buckley

Options
  • 11-08-2015 4:19pm

From RTE News
    A 21-year-old Glasgow man has pleaded guilty to the murder of Irish student Karen Buckley in Scotland earlier this year.

It has been requested that we reopen the previous thread on this subject, however we think a new thread would be more appropriate.

Please play nice, and keep in mind that Karen's family and friends may read this thread.

Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Good. Hope the scumbag doesn't get out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

So, Pacteau has pleaded guilty and will be sentenced for her murder.
    Seems he killed her in his car after taking offence about something she said. Still not clear why she went with him to his car. He then dumped her bag in the bin and took her body home.
    Two days later he moved the body to that farm to try to dispose of her remains. How he did that is not for the faint hearted...

I hope her family can find some peace now… and he never does.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-33859134

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Rosie Gardens

Good. Her poor family and friends have suffered far too much already without a 'not guilty' plea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

How long is the mandatory life sentence? At least he pleaded guilty so her family don't have to endure the horrors of a full trial
    Eerie looking man. What came over him? I watched a clip of him going to the hardware to buy the causic soda. He looked as cool as a cucumber. Reading the details of what he did is very chilling. I wish people like him did not exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

He used his mobile phone to look up the properties of a chemical called sodium hydroxide, or caustic soda.
    He then bought quantities of the chemical from B&Q and Poundstretcher along with masks and gloves.

That's grim stuff for the family to have to hear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

My heart goes out to her friends and family. I am pleased that he pleaded gulity and has spared her family the added trauma of a trial and possibly appeals etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭VisibleGorilla

Very sad reading about it.

- Why did she get in his car?
    - Did he plan to murder someone that night?
    - Why caused him to attack her?

He has issues, he was previously found not guilty of rape. Dangerous man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

Sickening reading the details from the court hearing today.

Impossible for me to understand how a person is capable of such actions.

Also, the cctv footage of him in the hardware store appearing calm as if nothing happened is chilling.

What a horrible bastard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

How long is the mandatory life sentence? At least he pleaded guilty so her family don't have to endure the horrors of a full trial
    Eerie looking man. What came over him? I watched a clip of him going to the hardware to buy the causic soda. He looked as cool as a cucumber. Reading the details of what he did is very chilling. I wish people like him did not exist.

I don't think there is a mandatory term in Scotland, it's up to the judge.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Such a sad case for the family.

If his story his true and he reacted to a 'trivial remark' he shouldnt be let out into society again. Actually scratch that he shouldnt be let out full stop

• Advertisement

Generally I have a very thick skin and I find it very hard to sympathize with people. This story was one of the ones that made me sad to my very bone... RIP poor girl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭wilhelm roentgen

Pure evil, I hope every day is a living hell for this b@stard and that life means life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

Very touching address by the Buckley family on the BBC News website

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-33859134

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

From RTE News

It has been requested that we reopen the previous thread on this subject, however we think a new thread would be more appropriate.

Please play nice, and keep in mind that Karen's family and friends may read this thread.

Thank you.
    Does the policy of not allowing the discussion of court cases until after sentencing no longer apply?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Fantastic work by the police force to put the pieces together to catch him and find the body.
    It was the only solace the family could have.

I'm surprised he pleaded guilty.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Does the policy of not allowing the discussion of court cases until after sentencing no longer apply?

This is not an Irish court case, so those rules do not apply.

Is there a chance of him getting life and life actually meaning in jail until he dies?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

This case is fascinating to me because of how the police handled it - interviewing him and searching his apartment while insisting that he wasn't a suspect and that in fact he was being incredibly nice and helpful about the whole thing, when clearly they suspected him from the get go.

I wondered at the time how they managed to connect him with that farm they searched - at the time, they simply said that the farmer had reported hearing suspicious noises from his yard early in the morning. From this, they already had far more leads than they let on at the time.

Fair play to them for an amazingly efficient investigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Is there a chance of him getting life and life actually meaning in jail until he dies?

No

• Registered Users Posts: 16,979 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Evil git, he will get his comeuppance

I have seen a timeline on a Celtic forum and it makes very grim reading

I wondered at the time how they managed to connect him with that farm they searched - at the time, they simply said that the farmer had reported hearing suspicious noises from his yard early in the morning. From this, they already had far more leads than they let on at the time.

Fair play to them for an amazingly efficient investigation.

Extract from a timeline I have seen

Wednesday April 15

1.55pm Police are now treating Pacteau as a suspect and arrest him in Starbucks on Nelson Mandela Place.

3pm A member of the public calls police and tells them about Pacteau’s connections with High Craigton Farm. The farm is searched and Pacteau’s storage unit is found.

8pm Fire crews arrive at the farm and remove the corrosive liquid, revealing Ms Buckley’s body in the barrel.

• Advertisement

No

:mad: I know jail is for rehabilitation and not punishment in theory but This is one of the cases where he should just be locked up and never be left out in society again. Someone like that can never be an upstanding member of society.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Very sad reading about it.

- Why did she get in his car?
    - Did he plan to murder someone that night?
    - Why caused him to attack her?

He has issues, he was previously found not guilty of rape. Dangerous man.
    I believe the speculation at the time was that she had probably been drugged. Which seems likely given that she apparently left the nightclub in a hurry without her friends or her jacket, with a man that she had not been seen with previously that night.
    Her family no doubt have more details that will never be revealed, so I hope those details at least answer whatever outstanding questions they have.
    Evil git, he will get his comeuppance

I have seen a timeline on a Celtic forum and it makes very grim reading
    Interesting to see how readily those around Pacteau gave up information about him. Clearly not at all any kind of habitual wiley criminal, just a psycho who probably already gave housemates and acquaintances a very creepy vibe.
    Probably the kind of guy that when his name appeared in connection with this, it made sense for a lot of people.

I guess if there's any solace to be taken from this, he was such a complete idiot that he was able to be caught before he could kill or hurt someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

padd b1975 wrote: »

Were not in Scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I looked up Scottish life sentences for Murder, average time served is just over 15 years (18 in Ireland). For pleading guilty he could end up serving less than the average.

seamus wrote: »
    Interesting to see how readily those around Pacteau gave up information about him. Clearly not at all any kind of habitual wiley criminal, just a psycho who probably already gave housemates and acquaintances a very creepy vibe.
    Probably the kind of guy that when his name appeared in connection with this, it made sense for a lot of people.

Pacteau was cleared of sexual assault and attempting to rape a young woman he met in the same area a few years before

I looked up Scottish life sentences for Murder, average time served is just over 15 years (18 in Ireland). For pleading guilty he could end up serving less than the average.

I think he will be sentenced to a minimum of 20 years before parole
    whiskeyman wrote: »
    I'm surprised he pleaded guilty.

Overwhelming evidence against him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Yes, they have a minimum tariff in Scotland from what I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Starokan

Kudos to the Scottish police investigating this, it looks like top class work. He could have easily stuck with his lies of her going back to the flat willingly and made it very difficult to the family to ever fully know the truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Her dad was so brave reading that statement. Poor family, having to hear that today. At least they're spared a trial

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Not sure why people are asking why she got in his car. There's hundreds of reasons and all of them reasonable. Everyone of us has got a lift from someone or hooked up with a stranger in a bar/club.

As for the guilty plea, I'm delighted for her family not to have to go though the trauma and indignity of a trial and all the media circus that would inevitably follow that. You would imagine given the nature of the crime he'll get the most severe sentence possible and will spend a long long time locked up for this.

I think this case really effected everyone who heard about it so much.

Advertisement