Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long distance road biking and punctures

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

07Lapierre wrote: »
    I use Conti gp4000 tyres and I don't use tyre levers. There fitted to Shimano, mavic and ffwd wheels.

Delighted for you where as I use gp4000s2 and they don't roll onto mavic wheels.

Therefore the reason for my post I was not trying to prove you wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Delighted for you where as I use gp4000s2 and they don't roll onto mavic wheels.

They roll out Fulcrum 7s :cool: (though your wheels are better :P)

jon1981 wrote: »
    They roll out Fulcrum 7s :cool: (though your wheels are better :P)

Maybe I just need to hit the gym more :D

Maybe I just need to hit the gym more :D

As I said a small lady showed me up by getting the tyre on in under 2 mins without breaking a sweat, certainly was a knack to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭kal7

always have tubes that fit your wheels. Many get caught out by having short valve length and deep dish wheels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I wasn't trying to prove you wrong either. I'm just reporting my experience with my tyres and my wheels.

I do have a set of deep section wheels and getting the tyre on is "a challenge", but I've always managed to get the tyre on.

I did have a set of Vittoria tyres and I found them impossible to get on (by hand). And that was before I had even put in the tube! So I decided there and then not to use them. I figured if I cant get the tyre on in the comfort of my garage, what hope have I doing it on the side of the road on a cold wet winters night?

kal7 wrote: »
    always have tubes that fit your wheels. Many get caught out by having short valve length and deep dish wheels.

I was that soldier.

I had valve extenders on my tube in the wheel which were grand. Do you think I could get the bleedin thing off to put on the spare when I punctured.

A lesson was learned that day and the extenders were fecked over the wall.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I wasn't trying to prove you wrong either. I'm just reporting my experience with my tyres and my wheels.

I do have a set of deep section wheels and getting the tyre on is "a challenge", but I've always managed to get the tyre on.

I did have a set of Vittoria tyres and I found them impossible to get on (by hand). And that was before I had even put in the tube! So I decided there and then not to use them. I figured if I cant get the tyre on in the comfort of my garage, what hope have I doing it on the side of the road on a cold wet winters night?

I can do it with any tyre an any rim that I've ever tried. Some people just don't have the knack and I can never understand why.

Last bit of tyre to go facing away from you. Thumbs on the braking surface facing you. Use your fingers to roll the tyre on, simples. I found gator skins a little more difficult but still manageable.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    I can do it with any tyre an any rim that I've ever tried. Some people just don't have the knack and I can never understand why.

Last bit of tyre to go facing away from you. Thumbs on the braking surface facing you. Use your fingers to roll the tyre on, simples. I found gator skins a little more difficult but still manageable.

You may try mine sometime. They'll probably go on if enough time is spent at it but for the sake of 2 secs with a lever I fail to see the need to break a sweat.

Also go F yourself for the can never understand why comment :D

You may try mine sometime. They'll probably go on if enough time is spent at it but for the sake of 2 secs with a lever I fail to see the need to break a sweat.

My worry with using levers is pinching the tube putting the tyre back on. I come from a time where tyre levers were actually soup spoons. Fado fado and all that.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

Also go F yourself for the can never understand why comment :D

Ah now, we all have different talents in life. I can't cook pancakes, no matter how I try they come out in ****e.

they/them/theirs

My worry with using levers is pinching the tube putting the tyre back on. I come from a time where tyre levers were actually soup spoons. Fado fado and all that.

Made that mistake when I thought I was being as gentle as a lamb.. Hence the visit to the little lady with the tyre handling skills and my dumbfounded head on me as to why this f**king tube won't inflate... surely it must be the pump...nope, she took the tube back out and sure enough I had ripped the sh*te out it! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Another tip: once you've fitted the new tube, do not use tyre levers to put the tyre on! I'd also recommend learning how to remove and refit a road tyre without using tyre levers at all.

I've yet to figure out a way to do this with Gatorskins.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Deep section wheels can be more difficult as you can't roll the tyres on as easy as you can with normal rims. At least I can't! :)

Advertisement