Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Reeling in the years be axed ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 NEW2DIY

Does anyone know if the one where people were emigrating to Canada was shown. 80's i think

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

NEW2DIY wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the one where people were emigrating to Canada was shown. 80's i think

82 or 83 definitely shows people emigrating and talking about emigrating
    "If I could just get the money together I'd be gone out of this country"

amdublin wrote: »
    82 or 83 definitely shows people emigrating and talking about emigrating
    "If I could just get the money together I'd be gone out of this country"
    is there a young fair hair man talking about canada or even in canada. sorry that is vague

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Je suis tres mal

Why would they axe it?
    Best show on RTE these days.

Except re-runs of Keeping Up Appearances

#TheBrochureResidence

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

is there a young fair hair man talking about canada or even in canada. sorry that is vague

Possibly.... but can't say for sure. Do you know them?

• Advertisement

I think that's the bit showing guys going to liverpool, no?
    Standing beside a bus?

Ok this was the part I was referring to;
    https://youtu.be/ffGH2MAIMhE

from about 24.00.00 onwards

(search reeling in the years rte youtube and click on videos)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

1321878863763.jpg

There's always one ne'er do-well

• Registered Users Posts: 68,291 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The 2000s ones were made too soon after the events. Hindsight would make them really rather different now - might be worth editing or remaking

• Advertisement

Agreed, there should be at least 15 years between the year and the respective "reeling"

• Registered Users Posts: 60,481 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

2000 to 2010 should have waited to have been made in 2020.

A decade should separate the making of each.

I understand the reason RTE rushed to make the '00's one (The popularity of the show) but Ireland changed so much between '08 to '10 that we are only seeing now in 2015 the long term affect of what happened during those boom years.

I would like to see the '00 series remade in 2020 when we should by then hopefully see what the impact of those years really have been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

I enjoy watching it.I love the music too.

Possibly.... but can't say for sure. Do you know them?
    i know one person who was in one program, not the program amdublin linked though.

Thanks amdublin

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

In fairness, Reeling in the Years is a great show. I still watch it when it's on these days even after having seen the episodes numerous times

The bigger issue is that it's summer filler material for RTE. They only do a 30 minute Six-One program in the summer, the same at Easter and after Christmas.

RTE news and current affairs seems to take a large portion of July and August of every year off. I had a look at the schedules for this week for example - no current affairs programs on TV all week. It drives me mad - what other company would effectively down tools for a large portion of the year? Can they not arrange peoples' schedules so that not nearly everyone it seems is away on holidays at the same time? Do they think the world suddenly stops for 6 weeks? I think it's linked to the fact that the Dail is on holidays at the same time, but that's no justification.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

People who think RITY should be axed, should have their balls axed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

86 Today

Pdoghue wrote: »
    In fairness, Reeling in the Years is a great show. I still watch it when it's on these days even after having seen the episodes numerous times

The bigger issue is that it's summer filler material for RTE. They only do a 30 minute Six-One program in the summer, the same at Easter and after Christmas.

RTE news and current affairs seems to take a large portion of July and August of every year off. I had a look at the schedules for this week for example - no current affairs programs on TV all week. It drives me mad - what other company would effectively down tools for a large portion of the year? Can they not arrange peoples' schedules so that not nearly everyone it seems is away on holidays at the same time? Do they think the world suddenly stops for 6 weeks? I think it's linked to the fact that the Dail is on holidays at the same time, but that's no justification.

What Current Affairs is there??? Newspapers have to do soft feature pieces to fill the pages.

efb wrote: »
    86 Today

Don't think Canada was mentioned in 86 episode efb. UK and US.

Don't think Canada was mentioned in 86 episode efb. UK and US.

Yes you are correct, I love Mary Black's Neidin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Love watching this, missus can't stand it mind you.. It's always a bonus when the year you were born gets shown and better again if something happened on the day you were born...

Love watching this, missus can't stand it mind you.. It's always a bonus when the year you were born gets shown and better again if something happened on the day you were born...

Anything significant happen the day you were born? Mine is on it! It's quite an infamous one!

Jaysis you're only a whippersnapper :)

Jaysis you're only a whippersnapper :)

Does that mean RITY doesn't go back to yours lol? I'm only a wee baby Eighties child!

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭chanelfreak

God I love that programme - sadly enough, I got the DVDs of the 70's & 80's but they dont show half as much as the tv episodes - I think it has something to do with licensing unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

If anything should be axed from RTE it should be Fair City.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭CathalRyano

To be fair to RTE, it costs peanuts to make and is likely one of their highest rated shows. It's complete **** but it'd be stupid to get rid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭OU812

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    Make new episodes and maybe go further back in time.

Lack of archives is the problem, unless you want ones based on Pathe News or the Evening Press & Herald.

The earliest archives possible from RTE are December 31 1962 (Date of first broadcast). The 60s era was rumoured to be released some time around November 2014, but I'm not sure it ever made it.

In the back of my head I think I've seen the 60s version, but I'm not 100% sure. The RTE page hasn't been updated to include it.

They did have a special version entitled "A Week Of Welcomes" to commemorate the visits of President Obama & Queen Elizabeth in 2011 (that long already), who judging by the cover, were together the whole time

w185297_l.jpg

It's done in the same style but isn't an official "Reeling" title.

EDIT: Just checked KAT & the season 1962-1969 is there

• Registered Users Posts: 9,735 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Any reason why?

• Advertisement

To be fair to RTE, it costs peanuts to make and is likely one of their highest rated shows. It's complete **** but it'd be stupid to get rid.

And a lot of people like it. Me I like it for the comedy factor :)

Advertisement