Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Job - no accomadation

Options
  • 06-08-2015 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

I'm starting a new job on Monday next week with a large IT multinational in Dublin. I've been trying to find a house share for the past 2 months but t=no has accepted me and I don't think I'll find anything between now and Monday!
    Would it be a good or bad idea to ask my hiring manager or HR to put me up in a B&B just until I find somewhere that I can move in immediately? Desperate times call for desperate measures!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

SystemsGuy wrote: »
    I'm starting a new job on Monday next week with a large IT multinational in Dublin. I've been trying to find a house share for the past 2 months but t=no has accepted me and I don't think I'll find anything between now and Monday!
    Would it be a good or bad idea to ask my hiring manager or HR to put me up in a B&B just until I find somewhere that I can move in immediately? Desperate times call for desperate measures!

And pay for you? I'm confused why they would do that - were they going to be paying your rent when you found a property?
    If not then I don't understand why they should pay for you to stay in a B&B :confused:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

And pay for you? I'm confused why they would do that - were they going to be paying your rent when you found a property?
    If not then I don't understand why they should pay for you to stay in a B&B :confused:

Same thought here, find a b and b yourself and book into it until you find a houseshare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Pay for your own accommodation. Walking in on day one and asking the company to pay for your accommodation would look terrible and would be very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,974 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

could you not travel it??

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭SystemsGuy

And pay for you? I'm confused why they would do that

I've seen it done with lots of people before. Companies have put people up in hotels and B&B's when they were unable to find accommodation in time - but only for a very short while, a week maybe.

• Advertisement

could you not travel it??

Seeing as I'll be moving from Mayo to Dublin, no.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I've seen it done with lots of people before. Companies have put people up in hotels and B&B's when they were unable to find accommodation in time - but only for a very short while, a week maybe.

Were they people moving from abroad?That wouldn't be unusual but if you are already living in Ireland, it would

Stheno wrote: »
    Were they people moving from abroad?That wouldn't be unusual but if you are already living in Ireland, it would

No, they were moving from the midlands to the North West. They informed their manager of their situation they were in the the company helped them out as they did not have somewhere to live in time for their start date.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

I have seen it too but never for an applicant, only ever somebody who was headhunted or somebody coming from abroad on relatively short notice.

OP get your own B&B it will hold you in good stead, if the worst comes to the worst then hold up in a hostel for a while until something comes available.

I have seen it may lf too but never for an applicant, only ever somebody who was headhunted or somebody coming from abroad on relatively short notice.

OP get your own B&B it will hold you in good stead, if the worst comes to the worst then hold up in a hostel for a while until something comes available.

Ok thanks for the advice :) Competition for housing in Dublin is still unreal!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Senior people maybe or else people who are moving over from abroad. Might be an idea to say to the HR department that you are having trouble finding a place as they could point you in the right direction.

Otherwise B&B it for a week and get cracking house hunting once you start.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,974 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Seeing as I'll be moving from Mayo to Dublin, no.

i read a blog yesterday of a guy who bought a transit van and camped for a year and a half to beat the rental market. Excellent idea i thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

I don't think this would be a good idea. When did you apply for the job and when did you accept it?

Was there anything in the job description about a relocation allowance or subsidy? Also did they ask you at the interview about your travel arrangements?

I wouldn't ask my new employers to pay for accomodation while I find somewhere to live, it would have been up to you to get your arrangements in order before taking the job.

Hopefully you will find somewhere, if not maybe try and find a b&b yourself until you get something.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,876 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Could you not contact HR and ask is there an internal list where staff advertise if they have rooms to rent etc ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,173 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Dell do this in cherrywood

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Rebellion

as a short term thing i cant see why they wouldnt accomodate your request

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Have you tried Airbnb? Some people use it to rent out stuff by the month and whilst I'd imagine you might be paying well above the going rate for a room in Dublin, it would be cheaper than having to stay in a b&b for a month!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Ok thanks for the advice :) Competition for housing in Dublin is still unreal!

I wouldn't worry,once you're employed you should find somewhere fairly handy if you look in the right places, don't be bogged down on staying in the city centre get somewhere on a good bus route or luas line.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 JJJayne

may i suggest u try both these websites . easyroommate.com .... homestay.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Put yourself up in a B and B. Once you start work tell all your colleagues that you are looking for accommodation- they might have some contacts that can help. Congratulations on the new job!

• Advertisement

Thanks all! It's actually helping the auld stress levels :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

What area are you aiming for/going to be working in?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Could you not find somewhere within an hour outside Dublin and stay there until you find suitable accommodation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭QuinDixie

buy a tent, there must be a campsite near dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭daveville30

Air bnb you could get somewhere for 15 ir 20 a night till u get somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,752 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OP, contact HR or your hiring manager and ask if they can recommend any nearby BnBs. But do not ask them to pay.

Letting them know the problem is one thing, asking them to fix it for you is quite another.

OP, contact HR or your hiring manager and ask if they can recommend any nearby BnBs. But do not ask them to pay.

Letting them know the problem is one thing, asking them to fix it for you is quite another.

Will do, cheers OBumble.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

That is good advice, you never know they may be able to help you out by putting you in touch with someone who has a room to rent which would be handy for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

As it's still summer try the universities. When I moved to Dublin first I lived in dcu's on campus accommodation while I house hunted. Cheaper than b&bs but more private than a hostel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

While I have often seen companies help with accommodation including myself twice it would have always been agreed at the negotiations stage. Having not brought it up when negotiating your start date it would be unprofessional now.
    I would get a B&B and mention that you are struggling to find accommodation over coffee/lunch they might have an apartment they use that is free or a preferential rate on a B&B but I would not ask them outright to support you .

Advertisement