Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junior Rugby [Social Rugby] Season 2015/2016

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 martyfurey

Stephen a number of players were involved in both squads. 1 player started both games. Then 3 others were subs on that division 8 team who were starters in that division 11 all of last season. You should check your facts before you make such comments. All players involved were eligible and played with that squad all season.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

martyfurey wrote: »
    Stephen a number of players were involved in both squads. 1 player started both games. Then 3 others were subs on that division 8 team who were starters in that division 11 all of last season. You should check your facts before you make such comments. All players involved were eligible and played with that squad all season.

Getting fairly defensive there. I said that I recognised a lot of faces from your division 7 winning team last season. Since division 11 is supposedly a "development league", I don't think that is in the spirit it's intended. I never said they weren't eligible, but being eligible and loading a team in an inferior league are not the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 martyfurey

We have a 70 yr old Canadian playing on that development team. How much development does one want. Out of the 27 man squad given at division 11 23 of them had nothing to do with that division 8 team. So while you are sitting on here acting as a keyboard warrior we will preparing and planning for our season at division 5, 7 and 10. Good luck next season. If you spend less time on here slandering teams and more time practising your rugby skills you may be more competitive in your league next year. I doubt it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

We have a 70 yr old Canadian playing on that development team. How much development does one want. Out of the 27 man squad given at division 11 23 of them had nothing to do with that division 8 team. So while you are sitting on here acting as a keyboard warrior we will preparing and planning for our season at division 5, 7 and 10. Good luck next season. If you spend less time on here slandering teams and more time practising your rugby skills you may be more competitive in your league next year. I doubt it though.

No need to get so personal. Let's leave it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

We topped the table in our league, I think we are quite competitive :). Also I didn't slander your team, just pointed out there were a lot of league winners from a much higher team last season in the team photo for the play off. I've no idea how you see that as slander.

• Advertisement

J5 blitz in Mary's was a good bit of craic yesterday. Went out to get 20 min or so game time just to keep ticking over but ended up playing about 90 min over two teams. Wish a bit more rugby was played at this time of year for junior rugby!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

.ak wrote: »
    J5 blitz in Mary's was a good bit of craic yesterday. Went out to get 20 min or so game time just to keep ticking over but ended up playing about 90 min over two teams. Wish a bit more rugby was played at this time of year for junior rugby!
    Its end of April. Season going on long enough at this stage so unless you start later then it wont be going on this time of year...

There is very very little rugby being played at the moment. 80-90% of sides at all levels are finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

We (Tallaght) finished out the season with a "friendly" :) against Clondalkin at Tallaght stadium. Our first time playing there and hugely enjoyable.

Wasnt looking good going in at half time 26 - 0 down, but we pulled it back level before some numpty :o:) gave away a penalty for being offside and we ended up losing by 3. Hopefully it becomes an annual thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭GavMan

Its end of April. Season going on long enough at this stage so unless you start later then it wont be going on this time of year...

There is very very little rugby being played at the moment. 80-90% of sides at all levels are finished.

Junior rugby should be scrapped from early december until late January.

Would leave free time for college students to take care of exams and let the worst of the weather pass.

Play on till later in the year

GavMan wrote: »
    Junior rugby should be scrapped from early december until late January.

Would leave free time for college students to take care of exams and let the worst of the weather pass.

Play on till later in the year
    What levels of junior rugby? it happens in quite a few of the lower divisions already bar refixed games that had been postponed/delayed earlier in the year
    A lot of the lower divisions don't really have games from 12/13 of December until 20th of January...

• Advertisement

Ha I would say there's about 4 students across 3 of our junior teams.

For me, and I'm sure there's a massive reason why it's not done like this, but the metro divisions should be more consolidated, especially at the lower end. Most divisions only have 6 or 7 teams, if they had 10 or 12 the season would have more games and it'd be a bit more complex

Ha I would say there's about 4 students across 3 of our junior teams.

For me, and I'm sure there's a massive reason why it's not done like this, but the metro divisions should be more consolidated, especially at the lower end. Most divisions only have 6 or 7 teams, if they had 10 or 12 the season would have more games and it'd be a bit more complex
    From experience of elsewhere. Smaller divisions of 6/8 teams and playing home and away works considerably better than larger divisions of 12/14 and playing teams once.
    With metro leagues now not divided by levels I don't think larger groupings of teams is feasible. When junior rugby was split into j1/2/3/4 you could have bigger groups.

From experience of elsewhere. Smaller divisions of 6/8 teams and playing home and away works considerably better than larger divisions of 12/14 and playing teams once.
    With metro leagues now not divided by levels I don't think larger groupings of teams is feasible. When junior rugby was split into j1/2/3/4 you could have bigger groups.

I prefer the new divisions, don't get me wrong, the grading is much better... But for me I could play in div 9 or 11 and not notice much of a difference.

Personally I think 10 teams home and away is doable. At the moment there's too many breaks in the season, at our level we just want to play as much as possible and keep momentum going. It seems straight away there's breaks in November, December and 6n, then throw in the weather and you're lucky to get two games in a row.

I prefer the new divisions, don't get me wrong, the grading is much better... But for me I could play in div 9 or 11 and not notice much of a difference.

Personally I think 10 teams home and away is doable. At the moment there's too many breaks in the season, at our level we just want to play as much as possible and keep momentum going. It seems straight away there's breaks in November, December and 6n, then throw in the weather and you're lucky to get two games in a row.
    10 teams home and away is 18 games. Adding in a cup that's a minimum of 22 weeks for all games. There is about 30-35 weeks in the season. Only place that's really possible is Ulster. Just wont happen anywhere else.
    Yes at any level teams want as much games as possible but you have to look at all the factors. Its social rugby.
    There wont be a huge difference between divisions 9/11. Its social rugby with big mix of beginners etc etc
    With the changes to divisional rugby the leagues could start earlier as teams are more at the same level per division but you still have to wait until late September so see who's fielding especially at the lower divisions.
    League fixtures can be created early enough for divisions 1-5 but from 6 down you have to wait and see what clubs will be fielding and who wont etc. Changing to bigger divisions just isn't going to work.

What levels of junior rugby? it happens in quite a few of the lower divisions already bar refixed games that had been postponed/delayed earlier in the year
    A lot of the lower divisions don't really have games from 12/13 of December until 20th of January...

Everything below say Div 2 to facilitate AIL 2nds teams. That should catch all save for a couple like Dundalk and Skerries who have been in Div4

I've played fairly low down the leagues and played in very late December games and played on the 9th of January this year.

It's often discussed here how we can keep kids over 20 in the junior game and I think this is a really easy win thats easy to implement, costs nothing a could yield significant results. A lot of guys I play with on my team are 21/22/23 and this would be huge for them. They tend to duck out of games when the heat is on for college

Everything below say Div 2 to facilitate AIL 2nds teams. That should catch all save for a couple like Dundalk and Skerries who have been in Div4

I've played fairly low down the leagues and played in very late December games and played on the 9th of January this year.

It's often discussed here how we can keep kids over 20 in the junior game and I think this is a really easy win thats easy to implement, costs nothing a could yield significant results. A lot of guys I play with on my team are 21/22/23 and this would be huge for them. They tend to duck out of games when the heat is on for college
    I don't think leaving a seriously long mid season break in social rugby will have that much of an effect. Yes there will be games played in the lower leagues in late December/early January but that time should be kept free to play catch up on games postponed in first half of season and allow a break. But stopping even longer I don't see a need. There already is a month off(and more for most) between Christmas/new years for a lot of teams.

I don't think leaving a seriously long mid season break in social rugby will have that much of an effect. Yes there will be games played in the lower leagues in late December/early January but that time should be kept free to play catch up on games postponed in first half of season and allow a break. But stopping even longer I don't see a need. There already is a month off(and more for most) between Christmas/new years for a lot of teams.

Another potential solution shot down by The Lost Sheep...:rolleyes:

Completely diagree. There have been plenty of seasons where i've played on the 17th/16th of December and the 2nd weekend of January. Comps should begin earlier in September and play further into spring.

Another potential solution shot down by The Lost Sheep...:rolleyes:

Completely diagree. There have been plenty of seasons where i've played on the 17th/16th of December and the 2nd weekend of January. Comps should begin earlier in September and play further into spring.
    Competitions cant really start earlier as so many clubs don't know exactly what way they will be sorted with their social teams in terms of numbers etc. Leagues have to be rearranged due to teams pulling out etc.
    Yes there has been plenty of seasons with games on those dates but those games are generally refixed games from earlier in the season. Having a break then allows catch up of missed games.
    Why the roll eyes because Im actually debating the points. Do we all have to follow the same viewpoint or have I missed something.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

But for me I could play in div 9 or 11

Let's not go crazy here

cloneslad wrote: »
    Let's not go crazy here

The devil's in the detail. Like I could play. Someone may pick me by accident.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Get friendly with foreign clubs and have matches against touring teams. This is "high season" for them. Also some internal club comps (or an invitation-type comp) like a sevens comp.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Something that's starting to become a problem in some leagues is the lack of relegation due to teams dropping out. A team that really should drop a league is staying in the higher division but the promoted team coming up is strong as well so the weak team gets hosed even worse the next year.

Also I think the branch should tighten the 6 game restriction on players coming down from a higher team in the club. Once the gap between the divisions is higher than 3-4, those higher level games should count for 2 games towards the 6 game limit.

I'm not going to name any names but there was a j5 game this year where 8 players from one team had started at what used to be j3 level and the other team got absolutely hockeyed. It's supposed to be a beginners-level-friendly league and this doesn't help their development in any way.

Advertisement