Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2015/2016 Season predictions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

For years now enic have done a fine job into convincing a large section of our own fans into accepting mediocrity. Actually not even accepting it but in some cases even appreciating it. God forbid we'd have a bit of ambition to better ourselves.

It's better to aim high and fail then aim low and succeed and all that...

.. sure we all know people who work their whole lives in the same job or stay in avdead end relationship/marraiges because they haven't the balls to move on. I often wonder if the same people are those kinda fans - secret spurs fans who want better but wouldn't know what to do it they actually got it.

So.. Are you predicting another season of mediocrity or just in the wrong thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,695 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

irishmover wrote:
    So.. Are you predicting another season of mediocrity or just in the wrong thread?

Well both obviously! !!

.. we'll go on a nice little run in a few weeks time. Just enough to take the heat off the club ... by Christmas we will all have some bizarre feeling that maybe this season will be a good one after all and just when we've got used to that idea the season will unfold and taper of in March/April as usual. Then rinse and repeat and start again next June. Yawn.

... and seeing as this is the prediction thread I predict one thing

- Poch will not be in charge by next Summer.
    I'm on record in last year's (14/15 season) thread as saying he won't be there in June 2016 and I stand by that call I made last Aug.

He won't be sacked either. Even Levy wouldn't sack yet another manager. But I think he will quit either out of frustration or for a better job offer.

.. just to clarify (before I get jumped on by the haters). I DO NOT THINK POCH SHOULD BE FIRED ... not even close. I think he his doing a very decent job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

... and seeing as this is the prediction thread I predict one thing

- Poch will not be in charge by next Summer.
    I'm on record in last year's (14/15 season) thread as saying he won't be there in June 2016 and I stand by that call I made last Aug.

He won't be sacked either. Even Levy wouldn't sack yet another manager. But I think he will quit either out of frustration or for a better job offer.

.. just to clarify (before I get jumped on by the haters). I DO NOT THINK POCH SHOULD BE FIRED ... not even close. I think he his doing a very decent job.

That's not really much of a prediction. The average tenure of a Premiership manager is not much more than a season.

Ormus wrote:
    That's not really much of a prediction. The average tenure of a Premiership manager is not much more than a season.

Yeah. When you include the number of managers quitting or been sacked following a relegation that sounds about right. Some of them go through 3 managers a year which distorts the figure.

... but when you examine the teams who consistently stay within the division for extended and continuous periods lilke ourselves, Everton, Stoke, villa then the average length of a managers reign is considerably more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Ormus wrote: »

wouldn't it be nice to be the exception to the rule for a change ?
    Getting to that place involves 2 key criteria:

1. Hiring a top quality manager to begin with
    2. Supporting him 100% in the transfer market

Rarely, but sometimes we succeed in the first point, but we never ever deliver on the second item.

And when it all inevitably falls apart the unsupported manger gets the boot and the whole bullsh1t cycle starts again.

Yeah. When you include the number of managers quitting or been sacked following a relegation that sounds about right. Some of them go through 3 managers a year which distorts the figure.

... but when you examine the teams who consistently stay within the division for extended and continuous periods lilke ourselves, Everton, Stoke, villa then the average length of a managers reign is considerably more.

Well if Poch makes it to June 2016, he'll be two full years in the job. Apart from Wenger, I can't think of many managers who have been that long in the job. Rodgers is 3 years I guess. Pellegrini is two. After that Eddie Howe?

So 3 out of 20 in the job over two years.

After the window shutting and taking a look at the teams around us I think it'll be 5th again. Dropping out early in the Europa League and Capitol one cup.

I think we'll finish ahead of Liverpool. I don't think they're that good of a side. If Son can perform and get goals then I think we'll pip them again.

If we can string a few results together and beat Arsenal at the end of the month then that might be the catalyst to go on a bit of a pre xmas run.

I'd say 6th or a close 7th on goal diff or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

10th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

I think Chadli's goal input last season was under rated. This season he's has a few tidy assists and a goal.

If we put Son on the other wing, instead of Lamela, we might get Kane scoring again.

Eriksen will pull the strings in the number ten.

On top off all the above, we have a far stronger defence than last year.

So my season prediction is an unlucky 5th but a good run for 4th.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

I'm feeling positive after getting over the failure to sign a striker. We still have Hugo. Expecting Kane to start scoring again soon. If Poch flogs Kane to death in Europa n other cups we fin 7th. If he is sensible with Kane and providing no major injury until Daniel buys a world class striker in January we could sneak 4th.

So 4th but wouldn't bet any more than twenty on it.

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    I'm feeling positive after getting over the failure to sign a striker. We still have Hugo. Expecting Kane to start scoring again soon. If Poch flogs Kane to death in Europa n other cups we fin 7th. If he is sensible with Kane and providing no major injury until Daniel buys a world class striker in January we could sneak 4th.

So 4th but wouldn't bet any more than twenty on it.

Haha could you imagine the reaction if we did finish 4th.

I'm sure someone would be still having a strop at the owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

irishmover wrote: »
    Haha could you imagine the reaction if we did finish 4th.

I'm sure someone would be still having a strop at the owners.

Am sure the reaction would be amazing as we are all Spurs fans at the end of the day.

KingdomYid wrote: »
    Am sure the reaction would be amazing as we are all Spurs fans at the end of the day.

Yeh but it would be with a team Levy put together.

I thought most Spurs fans want us to fail so he gets the chop no? I'm sure finishing 4th would be a failure somehow. Just like signing 6 first team players is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

I thought most Spurs fans want us to fail so he gets the chop no? I'm sure finishing 4th would be a failure somehow. Just like signing 6 first team players is.

Nope finishing 4th would be absolutely an amazing performance from this squad so definitely not a failure. COYS!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

I don't think anyone wants our team to fail - where ever did you get that idea from ?

When things go wrong at the club it's only right and proper to discuss the how's and the why's, we all have our own theories.

I know you find Levy criticism personally offensive - I'm not sure why you're so sensitive on the subject but each to their own at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

I thought most Spurs fans want us to fail so he gets the chop no?

here is the problem. The thought that any of us want us to fail is ridiculous. We are all entitled to our opinion and i for one am disgusted with how our club is being run on the football side of things. But every game we go in to I passionately hope we win and i would love nothing better than the likes of Son to become spurs legends and us to win things.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I don't think anyone wants our team to fail - where ever did you get that idea from ?

Perhaps it was from one of your comments about preferring us to be in the championship if it meant levy/enic were got rid of?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

I thought most Spurs fans want us to fail so he gets the chop no? I'm sure finishing 4th would be a failure somehow. Just like signing 6 first team players is.[/quote]

Most spurs fans want spurs to fail? What are you on about? What a ridiculous childish comment.
    Is this supposed to be some way of getting back at the sizeable number of people on here giving out about the methods of the owners/management? If so that comment is pathetic.
    Spurs fans are just that. FANS. We all want our team to win as much as possible

• Advertisement

We'd be delighted.

Heck, most of us would be pleasantly surprised if we get 5th at the end of this season.

Can't speak for others but as I've said many many times (as recently as earlier this week) - I'll be the first to congratulate Levy and Co the current transfer policy pays off and we finish 4th or better.

All we want, all we ALL want is progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭golfball37

Anyone who thinks our current squad has any chance of being fourth needs to be sectioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Martin567

We'd be delighted.

Heck, most of us would be pleasantly surprised if we get 5th at the end of this season.

Can't speak for others but as I've said many many times (as recently as earlier this week) - I'll be the first to congratulate Levy and Co the current transfer policy pays off and we finish 4th or better.

In fairness, I think some people are just sick to the back teeth of the constant moaning. Spurs did finish 5th last season and it was still endless complaining for most of the season. I read several comments about the worst team in years, etc!

As you seem to indicate above, anything less than 4th would represent failure. This ignores the fact that there are two Sugar Daddy clubs continuing to get away with murder while Man Utd are one of the richest clubs in the world. Spurs have continually challenged for Top 4 over recent years and succeeded twice.

However, it should be acknowledged that getting Top 4 represents a serious over-achievement given the wage bills of the other contenders and the fact that two of them don't abide by normal business rules.

We'd be delighted.

I'm sick of the owners. Something needs to change, Levy needs to go..

Finish fourth... Levy is god.

Is that how it works? The hypocrisy is rife. Football is a results game afterall. Finish 5th off with his head (not saying that's what you'd think). Finish fourth and alls OK again. **** me.

I honestly don't think levy is thinking any different than you. I'm pretty sure all he wants to do is see the club progress too, both on and off the pitch.

I also don't get it. What's the current transfer policy? Not being stupid and buying 7 overhyped and far too expensive players who turn out to be ****? We were all happy with that transfer policy until it went sour. The only logical thing to do was take a step back and be conservative. Only buying when the opportunity arises for the 'right' player. That's a **** transfer policy too yeh? So what is a good transfer policy?

Lads. Read the last line of my previous post again - I said PROGRESS

Finishing 4th would be an improvement on the last few years were we finished 5th.

Finishing 6th or 7th would be a step backwards no?

Martin567 wrote:
    As you seem to indicate above, anything less than 4th would represent failure.

Answer me this. Just a single word answer. Would you see finishing 6th this year as a success or a failure. That's it ... success or failure?
    Martin567 wrote:
    This ignores the fact that there are two Sugar Daddy clubs continuing to get away with murder while Man Utd are one of the richest clubs in the world. Spurs have continually challenged for Top 4 over recent years and succeeded twice.

I see to recall us finishing 4th twice since City and Chelsea became 'sugar daddy' clubs... and united have been one of the richest clubs in the world for the best part of 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Martin567

wrote: »
    As you seem to indicate above, anything less than 4th would represent failure.

Answer me this. Just a single word answer. Would you see finishing 6th this year as a success or a failure. That's it ... success or failure?

I see to recall us finishing 4th twice since City and Chelsea became 'sugar daddy' clubs... and united have been one of the richest clubs in the world for the best part of 20 years.

I don't live in such a black & white world as you where the only options are success (Top 4) or failure (outside Top 4). It's part of the problem that people try to reduce everything to such simplistic terms (single word answers!!!) and then construct their own flawed narrative of another person's thinking based on that one word answer.

Finishing 6th doesn't mean anything in itself. Spurs could do that and be anything between 1 and 20 points behind the teams they're trying to overhaul. They have a very young team with a lot of potential which deserves to be supported without all the negativity and whinging. Their performance over the season can only be evaluated at the end of the season.

As I said in my previous post, Spurs have continually challenged for Top 4 over the last 6 seasons and succeeded twice. My point is that achieving Top 4 represents a serious over-achievement and that not doing so does not represent failure and justify incessant complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

For the first time in most Spurs fans' lives we are experiencing a proper title chase. Some of us are trying not to get ahead of ourselves, some are spilling over with excitement and a very few are claiming "I told you so".

So, I thought it would be a good time to revive our start of season predictions thread.

Look at what you predicted in August, look at where we are now, then sit back and enjoy the ride. :D :cool:

Top 4 final positions: 1st Chelsea. 2nd United. 3rd City. 4th Gooners.

Relegated teams: Sunderland, Norwich, Bournemouth

Spurs final position: 5th - too early for 4th, our young team is still developing.

Cup winners: FA Cup: Chelsea League Cup: Man City Champions League: Real Madrid Europa League: Some Champions League drop out

Spurs cup prediction: FA Cup: Quarter Finals League Cup: Semi Finals Europa League: Quarter Finals

Spurs top goal scorer: Harry Kane

Breakout player: Dele Alli

P.S.

My Premier League Top 4 preduictions are miles off, but the rest ain't going too badly.

Haha it's funny reading this thread now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

I really regret not posting in this thread initially. I would have been miles off.

Advertisement