Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2015/2016 Season predictions

Options
  • 05-08-2015 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,694 ✭✭✭

... you know the drill lads.

No fear of this becoming a repeat of the infamous ''this year we could actually do it" thread.

But let's not get carried away by last night poor performance against RM either.

Usual stuff

Top 4 final positions
    Relegated teams
    Spurs final position

Cup winners
    Spurs cup prediction

Spurs top goal scorer
    Breakout player

... feel free to add others.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Top 4 final positions: 1st Chelsea. 2nd United. 3rd City. 4th Gooners.

Relegated teams: Sunderland, Norwich, Bournemouth

Spurs final position: 5th - too early for 4th, our young team is still developing.

Cup winners: FA Cup: Chelsea League Cup: Man City Champions League: Real Madrid Europa League: Some Champions League drop out

Spurs cup prediction: FA Cup: Quarter Finals League Cup: Semi Finals Europa League: Quarter Finals

Spurs top goal scorer: Harry Kane

Breakout player: Dele Alli

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Top 4 final positions: 1st Chelsea. 2nd City. 3rd Gooners. 4th United.

Relegated teams: Leicester, Norwich, Bournemouth

Spurs final position: 6th - will fall behind Liverpool in the pecking order

Cup winners: FA Cup: United League Cup: Man City Champions League: Barcelona Europa League: No idea

Spurs cup prediction: FA Cup: Round 6 League Cup: Final again Europa League: Quarter Finals

Spurs top goal scorer: Harry Kane

Breakout player: Delli Alli

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Top 4 final positions: 1st Chelsea. 2nd Arsenal. 3rd City. 4th United.

Relegated teams: Sunderland, Norwich, Watford

Spurs final position: 5th

Spurs top goal scorer: Goes without saying.

Don't see the point in trying to predict who will win the cups, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

League Position - 6th
    FA cup - 4th Round
    League Cup - Semi-final
    Europa - Last 32
    Managers - 2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭slegs

League: 1st Arsenal 2nd Chelsea 3rd Man City 4th Spurs (cant not believe at this stage without a ball kicked!)
    Relegation: Bournemouth, Watford, Sunderland
    FA Cup: 3rd Roaund
    League Cup: Winners
    Europa: QF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

Watched the arsenal game tonight, both teams miles ahead of us at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,694 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

mushykeogh wrote:

You know what. I was just saying the exact same thing to the wife (she wasn't interested).

It was like watching a different sport compared to that drivel on Saturday afternoon. 2 teams playing end to end stuff. Full of purpose, poise and pace.

Y Full of purpose, poise and pace.

Yep, it looked like they had a plan and knew how to play. Imagine that.

mushykeogh wrote: »

Disagree.

Arsenal's defence was all over the place, Liverpool should have been 3 up at half time.

West Ham beat Arsenal 2-0, then got beaten by Bournemouth.

Granted, Liverpool have kept it tight and performed well defensively.

Though don't for a second think that the Arsenal fans think they're miles ahead of us!

Just as Carragher said last night, "the top 6 will rise to the top, they always do."

The level of knee jerk negativity here is disgusting!

Disagree.

Arsenal's defence was all over the place, Liverpool should have been 3 up at half time.

Yes, probably because they were missing their two first choice central defenders. Knee jerk? Gimme a break, we finished last season playing tripe and started this season playing tripe. If you think we are the same level as those two last night at the moment your in cloud cuckoo land.

have you seen the last 3 games? We are clueless!

• Advertisement

Yes, probably because they were missing their two first choice central defenders. Knee jerk? Gimme a break, we finished last season playing tripe and started this season playing tripe. If you think we are the same level as those two last night at the moment your in cloud cuckoo land.

It's frustrating, but give it time to settle down before you start seizing us up for relegation. The transfer window hasn't even closed.

They were missing their first choice centre backs?!! They somehow kept a clean sheet last night.

They conceded TWO against West Ham at home and TWO against Palace with their "first choice centre back".

Are West Ham and Crystal Palace miles ahead of us too?

It's frustrating, but give it time to settle down before you start seizing us up for relegation.

Never mentioned relegation so i don't know why you are mentioning that.

They conceded TWO against West Ham at home and TWO against Palace with their "first choice centre back".

Are West Ham and Crystal Palace miles ahead of us too?

Their defence is poor but it always has, didn't see the west ham game, but i saw last night and palace, Arsenal and Liverpool are playing way better stuff than us.

Never mentioned relegation so i don't know why you are mentioning that.

Your view of us being miles behind was way over dramatic, so I responded in kind.

Their defence is poor but it always has, didn't see the west ham game, but i saw last night and palace, Arsenal and Liverpool are playing way better stuff than us.

I don't disagree that last night's match was entertaining.

Though, West Ham beat Arsenal. Liverpool were lucky to hang on to a slender lead against Bournemouth. Arsenal were lucky to get out of Selhurst Park with all three points.

The above suggests that Arsenal and Liverpool are not really miles ahead of anyone.

At this stage, I'd say only Man City could be put in that bracket.

Your view of us being miles behind was way over dramatic, so I responded in kind.

your right, we are so close to Arsenal and Liverpool right now i don't know why i even bothered to comment.

your right, we are so close to Arsenal and Liverpool right now i don't know why i even bothered to comment.

Fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭golfball37

At this juncture I would say there are at least 8 teams better than us in the division currently.

Disagree.

West Ham beat Arsenal 2-0, then got beaten by Bournemouth.

Granted, Liverpool have kept it tight and performed well defensively.

Though don't for a second think that the Arsenal fans think they're miles ahead of us!

Just as Carragher said last night, "the top 6 will rise to the top, they always do."

The level of knee jerk negativity here is disgusting!

Well said. It's hysteria.

We finished last season in 5th. I know it's not as good as 4th, but it can't really be tripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

Ormus wrote: »
    We finished last season in 5th. I know it's not as good as 4th, but it can't really be tripe.

I wouldn't say finishing 5th was much of an achievement last year to be fair.
    Everton imploded, while Man U,Liverpool and ourselves all conspired to try and hand 4th place to one of the other two. Man Utd were slightly less crap than ourselves and Liverpool and stumbled over the finish line for 4th.

Hammar wrote: »
    I wouldn't say finishing 5th was much of an achievement last year to be fair.
    Everton imploded, while Man U,Liverpool and ourselves all conspired to try and hand 4th place to one of the other two. Man Utd were slightly less crap than ourselves and Liverpool and stumbled over the finish line for 4th.

I wouldn't say it was much of an achievement either. I thought we were poor last season. We overachieved.

But to say it's tripe or we're clueless is just non-sensical.

• Advertisement

Ormus wrote: »
    I wouldn't say it was much of an achievement either. I thought we were poor last season. We overachieved.

But to say it's tripe or we're clueless is just non-sensical.

I didn't say ALL of last season, i said towards the end, our last few games were brutal, like our first three this season. Did you watch the game on Saturday? clueless is a very apt description imo.

Com'on now, Arsenal and Liverpool are miles ahead of us at the moment - surely everyone can see this?

Liverpool have some great players going forward, (particulary Coutinho) and are pretty solid in all areas. They have invested well this summer and still have sturridge to come back into the side. They have more pace, imagination and grit (Henderson & Milner) than us.

Arsenal defended poorly in the 1st half last night but it was their 3rd and 4th choice center backs. We need to compare our first choice 11s and they are stronger than us in every single position bar maybe in goal.

Us on the other hand don't seem to have a plan, we have no leaders, no pace and no imagination. We are basically back to where we were 11 years ago before Santini left the club. It been a shocking decline from where we were just a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,904 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Most topics on here seem to go way off kilter from what they originally set out to do?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQnvVHTTCwIRuc9zfcoWtVZu49rzjUBXoSEQqwhVUPoolP1uTAZXCz6XDU

I didn't say ALL of last season, i said towards the end, our last few games were brutal, like our first three this season. Did you watch the game on Saturday? clueless is a very apt description imo.

I did watch the game. We were poor. If we were clueless, we would have lost 5-0. Instead we got a draw away from home against a team that won its first two matches. It wasn't a great result, but it wasn't a disaster, and certainly wouldn't have been possible if we were clueless.

Com'on now, Arsenal and Liverpool are miles ahead of us at the moment - surely everyone can see this?

That's your opinion. However, I'm of the opinion that if West Ham can go to the Emirates and win 2-0, yet be beaten by Bournemouth - then Arsenal aren't miles ahead of anyone.

Arsenal defended poorly in the 1st half last night but it was their 3rd and 4th choice center backs. We need to compare our first choice 11s and they are stronger than us in every single position bar maybe in goal.

Their first choice 11 conceded two at Palace and West Ham!

That's your opinion. However, I'm of the opinion that if West Ham can go to the Emirates and win 2-0, yet be beaten by Bournemouth - then Arsenal aren't miles ahead of anyone.

Their first choice 11 conceded two at Palace and West Ham!

They have finished above us 20 years in a row and they have better players then us in 10 out of 11 positions - do you really think we are better than them ?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Let's see how the next week goes... But as we stand arsenal are in a different league to us.... And Liverpool have a stronger starting 11 too...

They have finished above us 20 years in a row and they have better players then us in 10 out of 11 positions - do you really think we are better than them ?

When did I ever say we were better than them?????

All I said is the negativity on this forum is disgusting.

Arsenal have been exposed this year, which is a fact. Arsenal have conceded two goals in two games against 'weaker' teams, which is a fact.

In my mind, that would suggest that Arsenal are not miles ahead of anyone in the league. Yes, it's my opinion, but it's closer to fact than not.

When did I ever say we were better than them?????

All I said is the negativity on this forum is disgusting.

Arsenal have been exposed this year, which is a fact. Arsenal have conceded two goals in two games against 'weaker' teams, which is a fact.

In my mind, that would suggest that Arsenal are not miles ahead of anyone in the league. Yes, it's my opinion, but it's closer to fact than not.

fair enough, both clubs have begun poorly but I think the gap is a lot wider. I suppose the point difference at the end of the season will tell the true story.

The negativity surrounding THFC is not restricted to just this forum, it's widespread now after years of false dawns and broken promises.

Is it not reasonable to be a bit pissed off that our club:
    • Brings in more money from transfers than it spends
    • Is in the middle of leanest trophy run since the war
    • Has a team with no leaders and no pace that plays dull football
    • Expects the supports to shell out some of the highest ticket prices in Europe
    • Blew the opportunity that Champions League qualification gave us
    • Wasted the Gareth Bale transfer kitty
    • Has a chairman who consistently attempts to remove himself from blame when his latest manager, coach, DOF makes a complete bollox of their role.
    • Does its business as late as possible in order to save a few quid to the detriment of the football team.

When some of the above are addressed I think you'll find that a lot of the negativity will ease. However while they remain in place you'd have to be barking mad to expect anyone to be positive about what's happening at the club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,694 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

For years now enic have done a fine job into convincing a large section of our own fans into accepting mediocrity. Actually not even accepting it but in some cases even appreciating it. God forbid we'd have a bit of ambition to better ourselves.

It's better to aim high and fail then aim low and succeed and all that...

.. sure we all know people who work their whole lives in the same job or stay in avdead end relationship/marraiges because they haven't the balls to move on. I often wonder if the same people are those kinda fans - secret spurs fans who want better but wouldn't know what to do it they actually got it.

Advertisement