Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2015 Footballer Of The Year.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Godge wrote: »
    He didn't headbutt O'Shea, O'Shea was comprehensively shown to be a liar when the pictures showed no contact. A pathetic attempt by O'Shea to get an opponent into trouble. Not surprised the sore loser is now claiming he was sledged.

He also didn't gouge Donaghy. If you get eye-gouged by someone from Ballymun, you are not leaping up off the turf and whinging to the referee afterwards, you are too busy trying to push your eyeball back in. Donaghy is just as much a sore loser as O'Shea, they both have form on this.

Philly McMahon should be Player of the Year, no question, cleaned O'Shea for 1-2 and Cooper for 0-1. Absolutely magnificent in the two games that counted most.

:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

He eye gouged him. It was shown clearly during the live broadcast thus setting off an immediate debate on here and elsewhere. Guilty as charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭PressRun

Godge wrote: »
    He also didn't gouge Donaghy.

You do realize that there was a camera on him when this happened and the whole country saw it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Whether or not he actually gouged him, you don't go pushing your fingers around a guys face like that. If he did that in rugby he'd get a big ban, and rightly so. From a Dub who thought he had a phenomenal year but also thinks he needs to cop on.

I guess it depends on whoever votes on it, whether they think the positives outweigh the negatives. Personally, I wouldn't begrudge Philly POTY. I think he's a fantastic footballer despite his behavior.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭paintitwhite

D9Male wrote: »
    I don't think he is.

But it would be plausible for a sore loser to falsely accuse somebody who marked him out of the game of doing something naughty.

To be fair these accusations aren't coming from Donaghy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

To be fair these accusations aren't coming from Donaghy.

Donaghy was the one who ran to the ref pointing towards his head, when his team were behind. If it were any other player, I'd may take it as face value. But Donaghy has a terrible reputation for running & whinging to referees trying to get opponents into trouble. Whatever side of the Philly debate you are on, that is a stone cold fact. People have been saying that about him for years, long before the recent AI final incident. No amount of outraged indignation from Kerry fans will change that. Whatever about wearing blue tinted glasses, I'd say that is behind a lot of peoples reluctance to condemn Philly outright/and or take Donaghy's word as gospel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Smartguy

No it is mainly just dubs who won't condemn Philly.

Also the people falling for the my brother was a junkie, I had a tough time growing up life story will also side with Philly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭corny

Donaghy being a thoroughly unlikeable chap (thats how you say without getting in trouble:D) on the pitch really shouldn't come into it though. I can't see how there's any doubt to what McMahon did. He raked Donaghys eyes. Knew exactly what he was doing too.

Point about whether you think this should exclude him from the award is a matter of personal opinion but surely its the only thing up for debate.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    I'd say that is behind a lot of peoples reluctance to condemn Philly outright/and or take Donaghy's word as gospel.

:confused:

It's not about taking someone's word for it. Everyone saw it. There were cameras there, it was broadcast across the country. Whether you think that the gouging should detract from his claim for POTY is a different matter, but there is no doubt about what Philly did. Philly hardly even bothered denying it himself.

• Advertisement

Don't be daft. Philly denied doing it in no uncertain terms.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭noway12345

It's pretty clear from the video that Donaghy's eye attacked McMahons fingers.

Don't be daft. Philly denied doing it in no uncertain terms.

Lad. Everyone saw it. Debate whether that should have a bearing on him getting POTY, fine. But the facts of what happened are there for everyone to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Thomas998

Didn't Donaghy try to quash the issue when the media brought it up later? He's really not culpable in this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Thomas998 wrote: »
    Didn't Donaghy try to quash the issue when the media brought it up later? He's really not culpable in this.

Yes he did and said something along the lines of what happens on the field stays on the field, but Donaghy's apparent dislikeable character is the only straw the like of proudDUB have to clutch at, I mena its as black and white a case as you will ever see, but I guess there is none as blind as those who will not see!

No where in this thread (or any other) did I say that Philly didn't do what he was accused of, or that he should be let off the hook, if there is indeed concrete proof that he did what he is accused of doing. My comment about Donaghy was purely in context of his having form in doing and saying things to get opponents in trouble with refs. If you don't think that an accusers past history in that regard, is relevant then you are being deliberately selective in your thinking. I am damm sure if he was involved in a similar incident involving one of your own counties players, you'd be thinking it too. So kindly refrain from laying things at my door, that I flat out did not say.

No where in this thread (or any other) did I say that Philly didn't do what he was accused of, or that he should be let off the hook, if there is indeed concrete proof that he did what he is accused of doing. My comment about Donaghy was purely in context of his having form in doing and saying things to get opponents in trouble with refs. If you don't think that an accusers past history in that regard, is relevant then you are being deliberately selective in your thinking. I am damm sure if he was involved in a similar incident involving one of your own counties players, you'd be thinking it too. So kindly refrain from laying things at my door, that I flat out did not say.

So simple question then, did Philly McMahon gouge or attempt to gouge Kieran Donaghy, a simple yes or no answer please.

Option C. I don't know. I wasn't on the pitch at the time, nor was I close enough to the pitch to see for myself. I haven't watched the game back.

Option C. I don't know. I wasn't on the pitch at the time, nor was I close enough to the pitch to see for myself. I haven't watched the game back.

lol you are full of it!

Do you genuinely expect everyone here to believe you have not seen the TV coverage of the incident since?

The mask is slowly slipping :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Smartguy wrote: »
    No it is mainly just dubs who won't condemn Philly.

Also the people falling for the my brother was a junkie, I had a tough time growing up life story will also side with Philly.

For a "smartguy" you need to do a bit of research. That is a stupid post. Most Dubs I know would condemn what he done if proven. You quite obviously dont know many or have spoken to very few or listened to very few.

McMahon was not the one who brought up where he was from it was a sneery comment. McMahon also did an excellent interview with Sean O'Rourke and was questioned about his life, sporting and other issues and also Damien Lawlor done a good piece on him and both quizzed him on growing up in Ballymun. The fact his deceased brother came up served more as a motivating factor for him and put him on the right track if you like. He is also ensuring a lot of others keep on the right side of the tracks with his initiatives in helping lads get qualifications. Doesnt say much for your mindset or type that you think he would use his brother to deflect for his alleged indiscretion.

I think he grabbed his face, a red card offence but to say he gouged him!! I am not so sure and only Philly McMahon knows.
    danganabu wrote: »
    Yes he did and said something along the lines of what happens on the field stays on the field, but Donaghy's apparent dislikeable character is the only straw the like of proudDUB have to clutch at, I mena its as black and white a case as you will ever see, but I guess there is none as blind as those who will not see!

Donaghy has a history of intimidating match officials for decisions and has picked up a few suspensions along the way so what else could he do? He might have been sore after the game but like a real Kerryman he let it go. The only thing I would say in his defence is he didnt go off whinging to the media but there could yet be a leak........
    Video evidence I believe proved McMahon also didn't make contact with Aidan O'Shea I didnt see this but believe it was available and as a result he was proven to be sent off in the wrong.

He (O'Shea) tried to get an opponent sent off and this type of thing leaves a sour taste no matter who it is. O'Shea gave as good as he got for most of that match but got very little support from his teammates at vital stages (they were busy planning the demise of H & C.

After all that I am not a fan of Philly McMahon, just cant take to him. But I do respect him for what he done with his life and hopefully he will continue to develop his ideas to keep teenagers involved in sports and education. He would not be in bad company with some of the lads who have gone before him Ryan McMenamen, Thomas O'Sé, Kieran McGeeney, Paul Galvin Karl Lacy.... all alter boys

My player of the year would be Cian O'Sullivan. Consistant and a very simple style of play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭corny

LeoB wrote: »
    I think he grabbed his face, a red card offence but to say he gouged him!! I am not so sure and only Philly McMahon knows.

Don't agree with that. Its easy to see McMahon puts his hand on the face and rakes it upwards in a sharp motion. We could get pedantic but for me that should be classed as gouging.

His intent might be up for debate though. Probably repeating myself here... I believe he was not trying to injure Donaghy but instead trying to provoke a reaction and eat up a bit of time. I think thats the reason why Donaghy didn't suffer any noticeable damage. McMahon was fully in control of himself throughout imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Smartguy

LeoB wrote: »
    For a "smartguy" you need to do a bit of research. That is a stupid post. Most Dubs I know would condemn what he done if proven. You quite obviously dont know many or have spoken to very few or listened to very few.

McMahon was not the one who brought up where he was from it was a sneery comment. McMahon also did an excellent interview with Sean O'Rourke and was questioned about his life, sporting and other issues and also Damien Lawlor done a good piece on him and both quizzed him on growing up in Ballymun. The fact his deceased brother came up served more as a motivating factor for him and put him on the right track if you like. He is also ensuring a lot of others keep on the right side of the tracks with his initiatives in helping lads get qualifications. Doesnt say much for your mindset or type that you think he would use his brother to deflect for his alleged indiscretion.

Donaghy has a history of intimidating match officials for decisions and has picked up a few suspensions along the way so what else could he do? He might have been sore after the game but like a real Kerryman he let it go. The only thing I would say in his defence is he didnt go off whinging to the media but there could yet be a leak........
    Video evidence I believe proved McMahon also didn't make contact with Aidan O'Shea I didnt see this but believe it was available and as a result he was proven to be sent off in the wrong.

He (O'Shea) tried to get an opponent sent off and this type of thing leaves a sour taste no matter who it is. O'Shea gave as good as he got for most of that match but got very little support from his teammates at vital stages (they were busy planning the demise of H & C.

After all that I am not a fan of Philly McMahon, just cant take to him. But I do respect him for what he done with his life and hopefully he will continue to develop his ideas to keep teenagers involved in sports and education. He would not be in bad company with some of the lads who have gone before him Ryan McMenamen, Thomas O'Sé, Kieran McGeeney, Paul Galvin Karl Lacy.... all alter boys

My player of the year would be Cian O'Sullivan. Consistant and a very simple style of play.

I love this if proven, dubs would condemn him. All reasonable people know exactly what Philly was doing. Y

Philly has been a complete media whore this year and has been quite happy to play the drug addict brother, wrong side of the tracks card to build his media profile and business.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Thomas998

If you haven't actually seen the incident, as so many Dubs are claiming, then why are you here defending McMahon? It's really mind-boggling.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Thomas998 wrote:
    If you haven't actually seen the incident, as so many Dubs are claiming, then why are you here defending McMahon? It's really mind-boggling.

Who's the so many Dubs you are talking about ?
    Everyone I know saw it on TV.

For the 897th time, I have never defended Philly, by saying he didn't do what he is accused of doing. Nor have I ever said that it is ok to do what he is accused of doing. Nor have I ever said that he should get off, if there is video proof that he did it. Let the powers that be examine all the evidence and then let the chips fall where they may, when the appropriate punishment is handed out.

I merely said, that I wouldn't just take Donaghys word for it, based on his track record for this kind of thing. Philly is Public Enemy #1 now. Some people want him to be guilty to suit their own agenda. (Just as I freely want him to not be guilty to suit my own agenda, but at least I admit it.)

After Aidan O'Shea made his head butt allegation, every one was out for his blood. The very next day, the Indo posted footage (shot from a different angle,) that showed Aidan O'Shea with his hand on the neck of Phillys jersey & no head butt taking place. The very same people baying for his blood 24 hrs earlier, disappeared into the word work after that. Funny that !

I recorded the game, but my recording jumps and skips. I watched the Sunday Game later that night, but I wasn't entirely sober at the time. I could go online and search out gifs and what not, but I just couldn't be arsed. People will see what they want to see & the one camera angle is only going to show one angle, as the so called headbutt footage showed. Like I said, let the powers that be - who I presume will be more impartial than any of us & who have access to more footage than us - come to their ruling. Philly will just have to abide by it.

I'd love to know what people mean by wanting Dubs to "condemn" him....say he is a filthy scrote and a scumbag? No, we'll leave that up to the other oh so brave keyboard warriors out there. One poster here, recently referred to him as "a vile human being." That says an awful lot more about them, than it does about Philly imo.

Or do you want us to say that he should be kicked off the squad? Yeah, good luck with that. Just like everyone wants Sean O'Brien kicked off the Irish rugby squad, for punching that French lad in the belly. Gas how quiet we all are about that, while hoping to God he gets off, eh? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭munster87

For the 897th time, I have never defended Philly, by saying he didn't do what he is accused of doing. Nor have I ever said that it is ok to do what he is accused of doing. Nor have I ever said that he should get off, if there is video proof that he did it. Let the powers that be examine all the evidence and then let the chips fall where they may, when the appropriate punishment is handed out.

I merely said, that I wouldn't just take Donaghys word for it, based on his track record for this kind of thing. Philly is Public Enemy #1 now. Some people want him to be guilty to suit their own agenda. (Just as I freely want him to not be guilty to suit my own agenda, but at least I admit it.)

After Aidan O'Shea made his head butt allegation, every one was out for his blood. The very next day, the Indo posted footage (shot from a different angle,) that showed Aidan O'Shea with his hand on the neck of Phillys jersey & no head butt taking place. The very same people baying for his blood 24 hrs earlier, disappeared into the word work after that. Funny that !

I recorded the game, but my recording jumps and skips. I watched the Sunday Game later that night, but I wasn't entirely sober at the time. I could go online and search out gifs and what not, but I just couldn't be arsed. People will see what they want to see & the one camera angle is only going to show one angle, as the so called headbutt footage showed. Like I said, let the powers that be - who I presume will be more impartial than any of us & who have access to more footage than us - come to their ruling. Philly will just have to abide by it.

I'd love to know what people mean by wanting Dubs to "condemn" him....say he is a filthy scrote and a scumbag? No, we'll leave that up to the other oh so brave keyboard warriors out there. One poster here, recently referred to him as "a vile human being." That says an awful lot more about them, than it does about Philly imo.

Or do you want us to say that he should be kicked off the squad? Yeah, good luck with that. Just like everyone wants Sean O'Brien kicked off the Irish rugby squad, for punching that French lad in the belly. Gas how quiet we all are about that, while hoping to God he gets off, eh? :rolleyes:

Sean O' Brien deserves a suspension for that strike. And as it is rugby he will get the suspension he deserves. If a rugby player raked someone's eyes, as I can see Philly doing in the replay, they too would receive the suspension they deserve. Philly will not. And I'm assuming raking your fingers across someone's eyes would call for a longer suspension than striking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Green_Tae

Anyway,

2015 Footballer Of The Year - Mattie Donnelly impressed me the most.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

seriously, after all your talk on the whole thing, going on about taking Donaghys word for it, you never even saw the incident that was clearly seen. Sure wasted some amount of talk on here.

In any case, he has accepted his suspension for the incident. And rightly so. It had nothing to do with the credibility of Donaghy as you keep on repeating, but did have everything to do with the clear video footage of the incident.

no one is saying he should be kicked off the squad, but you are here defending him (and yes, by going on about accusations and bringing Donaghys reputation into it, that is defending him) and trying to muddy the waters when you say you havent seen it. You are one of few Dublin posters doing so, the most of them are condemning McMahon for what he did and have said he deserves his suspension And thats all it is, a suspension for a dirty act, so be it, it happens quite a bit. People move on and get on with things. But the over reaction defending of it is odd. No one said he should be kicked off the team, its the head in the sand mentality that is being brought into lends no credibility to discussing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭paintitwhite

Philly has chosen to accept the suspension linked to the incident. I'd still have him as player of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Smartguy wrote: »
    I love this if proven, dubs would condemn him. All reasonable people know exactly what Philly was doing. Y

Philly has been a complete media whore this year and has been quite happy to play the drug addict brother, wrong side of the tracks card to build his media profile and business.

Philly has been asked questions by Sean O'Rourke on R.T.E and other excellent interviewers on both Radio and in the press. The media have jumped on this angle about his brother and for you to call him a media whore is in my opinion way over the top. Most of us saw what happened but whether it was deliberate or not neither you nor I know. But I dont think it was. I think it was a yellow card offence as he grabbed his face.

For the record Sean O'Brien and the I.R.F.U done his best to get away with the miniMum 2 week suspension and it worked, he got a 1 match ban when a 2 week suspension is what he should have been given.

Poor Philly will now miss the league opener against Kerry, I d say he is heart broken but he can stand outside Croke park and advertise his business to the people who dont begrudge him or Dublin.

He is right to use the media to build his business, he like every other G.A.A. player has a limited time to get exposure like this, would you not do the same if you had the chance? Take a look around the country and look at the amount of interviews done where lads work, its free advertising and fair play to them all. They deserve whatever breaks come their way.

Anyway I still think Cian O'Sullivan would be my player of the year

Advertisement