Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2015 Footballer Of The Year.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Didnt stop MDMA winning it the year he got it. Anyone want to guess on how many times he has actually kicked the ball total in championship matches?

Should have been redubbed "player of the year" as opposed FOTY that year.

MDMA solo running the ball is a depressing sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

1. Watching a player with limited natural ability, playing in a position and in a manner that maximizes his effectiveness, in an attacking and creative way. Even if it's not all that pretty to watch at times.

2. Watching one of the games great players, reduced to being just another one of 13 players in a blanket defense.....miles and miles away from where he could dazzle the world with his brilliance, if he was just let.

I know which one I'd find the more depressing to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,052 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

ProudDUB wrote: »
    1. Watching a player with limited natural ability, playing in a position and in a manner that maximizes his effectiveness, in an attacking and creative way. Even if it's not all that pretty to watch at times.

2. Watching one of the games great players, reduced to being just another one of 13 players in a blanket defense.....miles and miles away from where he could dazzle the world with his brilliance, if he was just let.

I know which one I'd find the more depressing to watch.

Which is the bigger "ruination" of the game though. Accommodating an athlete with otherwise limited football ability into a system where he would still look awkward, or dropping a player with genuine talent back into a system where he can affect the game and still allow his natural football ability to influence the game, whether it be on the counter attack, or from frees?

I know which one I'd find a lot more commendable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

I stand by my opinion that Kilkenny should get this if Dublin win and he has a great final. He was very influential today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

D9Male wrote: »
    I stand by my opinion that Kilkenny should get this if Dublin win and he has a great final. He was very influential today

Thought he looked very average today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

D9Male wrote: »

Behave yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

He seems to be a very inconsistent player. In both games against Mayo, he was excellent in the first halves and hardly touched the ball in the second halves.

I'd say it's completely up to the final. If someone does wreck and leads to a win, they'll probably get it. Otherwise, it's anyone's guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

Prob David Moran as I feel to get POTY you should have a medal with you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

liam7831 wrote: »
    Prob David Moran as I feel to get POTY you should have a medal with you

Have Kerry won the All Ireland yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

While we are here is Diarmuid O Connor front runner for YPOTY ?

A title that has already been in the household twice.

Or am I forgetting someone from Kerry, Murphy perhaps ?

Brian Fenton, keeping a recent POTY out of the Dublin team.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

ProudDUB wrote: »
    I know eff all about betting, but are 2/1 and 11/10 not virtually the same thing?

Bad form to be having Philly Mc so low down near the bottom. :p

When you consider that before the semi-final, everyone was talking about Aidan O'Shea for POTY, he gets marked for nearly 150 minutes by McMahon and only gets one point while Philly scores 1-2, you would think that some minds would be changed. The false accusation of headbutting won't help him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Should be McCaffrey or Moran though, if Dublin win and Brogan gets any kind of tally, they'll give it to him. It's what they do..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

ixus wrote: »
    Should be McCaffrey or Moran though, if Dublin win and Brogan gets any kind of tally, they'll give it to him. It's what they do..

Interesting one after today, def no shoe in if Dublin win it. Brogans really stepped up the last few games however. If he has a decent final he'll deserve it. His overall impact has been greater than McCAffreys so far

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Basically A O'Shea and Connolly are now out of the reckoning.

David Moran if Kerry win.

Brogan or McCaffrey if Dublin win.

Is that pretty much it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭invicta

David Moran- even, IF,Dublin win!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

No one deserves it so far. Fenton & BB from the Dubs, Moran and Walsh from kerry. Tbh though, whoever gets it will be lucky.. A serious lack of candidates..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Basically A O'Shea and Connolly are now out of the reckoning.

David Moran if Kerry win.

Brogan or McCaffrey if Dublin win.

Is that pretty much it ?

I think for Dublin the fact that Brogan won it already increases McCaffrey's chances significantly - McCaffrey is available at 7/1 which might be worth a punt (if you think Dublin will win the final)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

THFC wrote: »
    No one deserves it so far. Fenton & BB from the Dubs, Moran and Walsh from kerry. Tbh though, whoever gets it will be lucky.. A serious lack of candidates..

The game is becoming less and less about moments of individual brilliance and more about team work ethic.

Any guy that stands out in one game is double marked for the next game and struggles to make an outstanding impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Godge wrote: »
    Brian Fenton, keeping a recent POTY out of the Dublin team.

He's overage for YPOTY

Paddpower has closed the book on YPOTY - Diarmuid O'Connor a dead cert.

The fact that there are so few serious contenders for YPOTY says a world about the age players are breaking through for the top teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭harpsman

Afair Moran didn't play well against Tyrone and was black carded earlyin the 1st Cork match. I don't think he's been particularly influential this year. Overall I think Bernard Brogan has been the most influential player this year but given theres no outstanding player will probably depends on final. Id still go for BB at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

If Dublin win the final, Kilkenny is nailed on for ypty.

Probably a Dublin player to win senior award.

But same goes for Kerry. Johnnie Buckley has been outstanding but not sure is he under 23?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

If Dublin win the final, Kilkenny is nailed on for ypty.

Probably a Dublin player to win senior award.

But same goes for Kerry. Johnnie Buckley has been outstanding but not sure is he under 23?

Have to be U-21, not U-23.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

liam7831 wrote: »
    Thought he looked very average today

D:

He shouldnt win poty but what game were you watching? He was great yesterday. Scored 3 or 4 from play scoring off both feet, brilliant ball winning and ball carrying ability throughout the game. Along with Andrews he carried the forward line for long periods.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,029 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

DDC1990 wrote: »
    The game is becoming less and less about moments of individual brilliance and more about team work ethic.

Any guy that stands out in one game is double marked for the next game and struggles to make an outstanding impact.

And that's why Donnacha Walsh shod win it, his consistent work is outstanding

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

And that's why Donnacha Walsh shod win it, his consistent work is outstanding

I'll get t-shirts made up. Similarly Bernard Brogan has performed in every game this year. Not as spectacular as other years but a massive contribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I think I might die of pleasure seizures if Donnchadh Walsh got FOTY.

Donnacha Walsh the best footballer in the Country. When pigs fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Bernard is having a brilliant year, when he gets any sort of decent ball he delivers. A ridiculously good player over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭King Cantona

it's got to be BB if Dublin win.

He's been Dublin's most consistently influential player - yesterday he scored 1-1 and assisted a goal. If Philly mcmahon kept his head in the first half that would have been 2 goal assists and 1-1 in an AI semi final.

Connolly, McCaffrey and Kilkenny are close behind - but I feel they'd need to be head and shoulders above a BB display in the final to overtake him at this stage. (If Dublin win)

• Advertisement

Bernards been good but not great IMO, I can see him having a big final and becoming a strong contender though. There aren't really any standout players this season.

Advertisement