Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding Cost and Gifts

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Jwacqui

Myself and my fiancé are planning our wedding for summer 2017.

We are looking at about €23,000 and that's with a full spreadsheet with a budget for everything. There is nothing on the list that is extravagant. We will be having about 140-150 guests for the full day.

We already have €15,000 saved and have another 22 months to save.

We will be spending what we have saved and hoping to not get any loans.

We won't be relying on presents but we will be expecting some of course! That will go back into savings and be a start on the house deposit for us.

I am however very conscious of how much people give. It really differs on circumstance.

From experience you can expect anything from nothing to €100-€200 per couple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Jwacqui wrote: »
    Myself and my fiancé are planning our wedding for summer 2017.

We are looking at about €23,000 and that's with a full spreadsheet with a budget for everything. There is nothing on the list that is extravagant. We will be having about 140-150 guests for the full day.

We already have €15,000 saved and have another 22 months to save.

We will be spending what we have saved and hoping to not get any loans.

We won't be relying on presents but we will be expecting some of course! That will go back into savings and be a start on the house deposit for us.

I am however very conscious of how much people give. It really differs on circumstance.

From experience you can expect anything from nothing to €100-€200 per couple.

Sorry now, but your spending 23.000 on a wedding, and then saving for a house?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

That's their choice. As long as it doesn't affect you what does it matter? There's loads of things other people spend thousands on before buying a house, like trips around the world and brand new high end cars, that I'd never buy, but it makes no difference to me. Everyone has different priorities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

My sister and her husband has a modest wedding, without a lot of the trappings and with DIYing a lot of the stuff themselves, with less than 100 guests, and they hit €20,000 very easily. That included the honeymoon but anyone with a slightly bigger wedding and/or a more traditional day would hit that figure for the wedding alone quite easily. It all adds up very quickly!

Yes we are. We are both young, have no children and getting married is very important to us.

My fiancé is from Tipp and me from Dublin. We are both working and living in Dublin and we are not in a position to make a decision on where we want to live forever.

We could choose Tipp, Dublin or somewhere in between.

As the two previous posters have said its my decision to make and my money to choose how I spend it.

As lazy girl says other people spend thousands on travelling or new cars. My car is nearly 10 years old and I drink about twice a year. It doesn't bother me if people want to spend thousands travelling. Doesn't impact me.

€23,000 is not extravagant we have a careful budget. Weddings are expensive. We are not going all out but at the same time we are having what we both want.

Also having €15,000 in wedding savings with two years to go is quite good I think, and that doesn't include our other savings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,297 ✭✭✭✭fits

You dont need to justify yourself to strangers online Jwacqui. Sounds like ye are well sorted anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭stickybookmark

That's her own business! Her life, her choices!

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭owen85

You can cut on costs without it really damaging the joy of your wedding.
    transport.....use a family members car
    flower arrangements???
    drinks reception....make a deal with the hotel that allows you to bring the alcohol to them the day before the wedding for them and them to set it up and serve it.

my sister in law sat around with her sisters (one of which could do a bit of basic photshopping) and made up invites.
    a drink or two per person during the meal is included, the rest they pay for themselves.

anything more is splashing in my opinion / going back to tiger times. Youll have a nice time either way...just make sure you get to spend enough time with your wife on the day....so many newly weds regret that they didnt get a small bit of personal time in on the day..even if it was just for a stroll or a mid day romp

• Registered Users Posts: 13,297 ✭✭✭✭fits

owen85 wrote: »
    flower arrangements???
    drinks reception....make a deal with the hotel that allows you to bring the alcohol to them the day before the wedding for them and them to set it up and serve it.

We did all of this and it still added up. supplied a lot of booze mind.. Wedding costs add up fast. You just dont get it til you do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

owen85 wrote: »
    flower arrangements???

well most venues will charge corkage fees for bringing in alcohol.
    Buying your own flowers are very expensive, then you have to buy wire, ribbon, and other florist materials.
    Invitations really add up when you DIY, buying nice quality paper, envelopes, stamps, ribbon and other appliques etc, let alone printing costs.

23K would defo add up quickly for a modest wedding. if you're getting married in a decent venue, on a weekend in summer, youre gonna be paying peak prices for everything.
    If you want to spend a fortune on your wedding, and you have the money, go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

expecting guests to pay for the wedding is one thing, but expecting them to pay for a deposit for your house, now thats going too far...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

expecting guests to pay for the wedding is one thing, but expecting them to pay for a deposit for your house, now thats going too far...

who said that?

What was said was that they are going to pay for their own Wedding, THEN continue saving for a deposit on a house.

Jwacqui wrote: »

Read my original post above. I am not expecting anyone to pay for a deposit for me. Do you know how much a deposit for a house is? My family and friends are not that rich.

Everyone receives wedding presents and it's the bride and groom that get to decide what they do with it. Some people get a loan for the wedding and use presents to pay off the loan. I'm choosing to pay my wedding in full and put any cash presents into my savings.

All presents regardless of what they are will be appreciated and I will not be relying on them as I said in my original post.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,909 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Second Toughest in_the Freshers I suggest that you have a read over the Charter, and also this announcement if you plan to continue using this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭stickybookmark

Looks like they should just donate all the wedding presents to charity........

it's the only option that would please some of the people on here it seems !!

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

ah no, my post was very much tongue in cheek...

(I knew i should have added a few of these :pac: :D :rolleyes: ;) :cool: )

Advertisement