Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legal advice employer issue-so stressed out!!!

Options
  • 02-08-2015 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭

Hi all I badly need some expert advice. I am called into a disciplinary meeting with my work. I have basically been shafted by other workmates and now management are basically saying i have done a gross misconduct and have said i can have a work colleague or someone else in the meeting with me as a representative. I am the kind of person that could easily get swallowed up here as I am sensitive and really hate any sort of conflict!! (the work colleagues knew who to pick on!!). I wanted to ask is there anywhere i can get free legal advice and if they can come with me to the meeting? I haven't much money so I don't know what to do any help with this would be much appreciated!.

Also can anybody tell me with regards annually leave if you work them and get extra money for working on the day are you also entitled to extra annually leave hours?? and if a company dismisses you are you still in entitled to all your annual leave? thanks!!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Maybe contact the legal advice board? You can Google their details

It's most unlikely you'll be allowed bring them to your meeting

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Are you in a union? Consult a union rep and ask them to attend with you if you are.

Does your company have a disciplinary manual? Read that if so. Also consult the citizen information website and NERA. There is a lot of useful information there

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭fairycakes

no not in a union, never in my life had to be in a disciplinary meeting like this. The company has policies and procedures manual and to me looks very vague..hence why I need to talk to an expert and at least I am prepared. Thanks I will look at NERA! thanks a mill!

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

Your company policy will dictate if you can bring a legal rep into the meeting but as advised, it's highly unlikely.

You need to understand that you can usually be dismissed at this meeting if you are found guilty of gross misconduct so make sure you have prepared properly.

If colleagues have stitched you up, you won't be sacked. Even if your company has rubbish policies there are legal standards to protect you. But if the influence of others has made you do something yourself which is wrong you will need expert help.

Consult NERA and your citizen advice office. Remember, you can usually postpone the meeting once, so do this if you are under time pressure to get the correct advice.

Good luck

Thank you for the advice much appreciated!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

FLAC will provide you with proper advice for free. I highly recommend a good employment law solicitor be engaged though. The question is always cost, to which the reply should always be isn't it cheaper to keep the job/be terminated with a good reference and a payment?

You'll find that most will give a short initial consultation for free (In Dublin anyway). The advice and support you'll be given will pay dividends.

Best of luck OP.

Thank you I will check them out. Just wondering are you allowed to join the trade union after an incident? or do you have to be an existing member to have them represent you?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

fairycakes wrote: »
    Thank you I will check them out. Just wondering are you allowed to join the trade union after an incident? or do you have to be an existing member to have them represent you?

Usually you need to be an existing member, and your company have to acknowledge the union. Companies do not have to compulsorily liaise with trade unions.

A union will not look favourably on blowins.

Frankly in this day and age unions are only useful in certain industries, the rest of us can simply fall back on private legal representation. Some union reps are excellent, unfortunately some are useless. If you get a negligent solicitor you have recourse through the Law Society.

The company has stated that I have a right to have a representative present or a work colleague they never stipulated who the representative has to be.

• Advertisement

The company has stated that I have a right to have a representative present or a work colleague they never stipulated who the representative has to be.

Given you've no union in the company it will be a colleague that will be accepted as the de facto rep.

A union rep or a legal rep will be denied access most likely

If it's gross misconduct then there is case law to suggest a solicitor can be your representative; furthermore they can engage with the hearing and conduct cross examinations for you etc. It's a colossal waste of money though in 99% of cases. Your best bet is to have a friend that's good at taking notes and it willing to give evidence at tribunal if needed. Well worth covertly recording the meeting if you're sure you won't get caught. Even better if your rep isn't employed by the company get them to do it.

Having a solicitor present will only put manners on the employer and make them careful. Let them feel secure and cock-up. Plays right into your hands.

Standard trick when a solicitor pitches up is to apologise profusely and reschedule the meeting due to unforeseen circumstances. The solicitor still bills you and it stresses you out even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭snoopy12

Stheno wrote: »
    Usually you need to be an existing member, and your company have to acknowledge the union. Companies do not have to compulsorily liaise with trade unions.

I stand corrected but i think that regardless of whether the company recognises a union you are entitled to have a union rep present at disciplinary meetings. Certainly more favourable than bringing a colleague. Employees also have these option of becoming confidential union members to draw on the union as necessary. Depending on the union most relevant to your industry they may work with you if you sign up immediately. This is at their discretion as there can be a defined period before you can use them eg 4 weeks, iykwim.

A quick Google threw out the link below which briefly surmises your rights:

http://www.unionconnect.ie/rights/1discipline/

Best of luck.

sorry as you can see I have no clue about law, why would they be denied access? They are a private company.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

Hi all I badly need some expert advice. I am called into a disciplinary meeting with my work. I have basically been shafted by other workmates and now management are basically saying i have done a gross misconduct and have said i can have a work colleague or someone else in the meeting with me as a representative. I am the kind of person that could easily get swallowed up here as I am sensitive and really hate any sort of conflict!! (the work colleagues knew who to pick on!!). I wanted to ask is there anywhere i can get free legal advice and if they can come with me to the meeting? I haven't much money so I don't know what to do any help with this would be much appreciated!.

Also can anybody tell me with regards annually leave if you work them and get extra money for working on the day are you also entitled to extra annually leave hours?? and if a company dismisses you are you still in entitled to all your annual leave? thanks!!

a company should give you a contract, which outlines disciplinary action steps etc. You usually get some informal notification first, followed by more formal steps such as a letter of sorts.

what you describe is pretty much the step that leads to dismissal, have you a record of actions that led to this happening, if you are getting shafted or bullied by anyone ,clearly that is a no. You need to see some legal advice.

If you have a valid case and if the company are in the wrong I would see a solicitor. Doesn't sound like anyone at work is worth brining to this meeting.

Don't sign anything at this meeting until you know where you stand.

snoopy12 wrote: »
    I stand corrected but i think that regardless of whether the company recognises a union you are entitled to have a union rep present at disciplinary meetings. Certainly more favourable than bringing a colleague. Employees also have these option of becoming confidential union members to draw on the union as necessary. Depending on the union most relevant to your industry they may work with you if you sign up immediately. This is at their discretion as there can be a defined period before you can use them eg 4 weeks, iykwim.

A quick Google threw out the link below which briefly surmises your rights:

http://www.unionconnect.ie/rights/1discipline/

Best of luck.

From a similiar google search

There is no legal obligation on an employer to negotiate with a union on behalf of an employee member, unless previously agreed. This does not prevent a dispute about trade union recognition from being a lawful disput

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/industrial_relations_and_trade_unions/trade_unions.html

Nothing there about gross misconduct being an exception, and certainly in the many non unionised workplaces I have worked in, unions were never allowed into the company, same with legal representatives even in terms of gross misconduct. The threat of legal representation in one case I personally had however, served as a deterrent. It wasn't gross misconduct.

Op should seek professional advice.

sorry as you can see I have no clue about law, why would they be denied access? They are a private company.

There is case law to suggest that they are allowed in, no definitive right (well actually there probably is but I digress). Companies balls-up disciplinary procedures all the time, they'll do all sorts of things incorrectly including denying a solicitor access.

As said though, not worth taking one anyway.

I think the union would be IMPACT so might just give them a call and see what they say. Awful to be treated so badly and feel like have no support whatsoever especially if you are the kind of person that doesn't like to argue over things!

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭snoopy12

From a similiar google search

There is no legal obligation on an employer to negotiate with a union on behalf of an employee member, unless previously agreed. This does not prevent a dispute about trade union recognition from being a lawful disput

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/industrial_relations_and_trade_unions/trade_unions.html

Nothing there about gross misconduct being an exception, and certainly in the many non unionised workplaces I have worked in, unions were never allowed into the company, same with legal representatives even in terms of gross misconduct. The threat of legal representation in one case I personally had however, served as a deterrent. It wasn't gross misconduct.

I certainly agree re professional advice. Thanks for the info above Stheno.

Where the employee is on notice that the hearing may lead to dismissal (which they must be id the hearing can lead to dismissal) the rules change. So while not strictly a gross misconduct situation - gross misconduct almost always carries with it the threat of dismissal.

The rights stem from a constitutional right to justice and fairness, including representation. However it depends (rather unfairly) on the job. The suggestion is one can be a professional prison guard but not a professional cleaner or shop worker. Very interesting and quite snobby area of law IMHO. Sorry for the digression.

Last time I'll say it - not point in taking a solicitor to a hearing anyway in the vast majority of cases. Having one on the end of the phone though is quite different and most entertaining in some cases.

• Advertisement

snoopy12 wrote: »
    I certainly agree re professional advice. Thanks for the info above Stheno.

No problem at all, people often think that unions have far greater powers than they have. The most famous case was Ryanair winning the right not to recognise unions whatsoever in the Supreme Court.

You can try as an individual to have a union represent you, but the company can refuse to deal with them.

It's still an area that isn't black and white in law, but currently sides with the employer.

I've personally worked in three environments where individual attempts to involve unions failed, but using legal representation worked. One case was myself directly (i didn't bother with the union, but invoked foi law) the other two involved trying both unions and lawyers. None however were for cases of gross misconduct, which ime directly supports employers for the most part. The burden of guilt is on the employee

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

Op bring someone with you that you trust. Get them to take notes etc at this meeting. Show them that you are prepared and stay calm and confident. Don't go throwing accusations just stick to the facts of what happened etc

Where the employee is on notice that the hearing may lead to dismissal (which they must be id the hearing can lead to dismissal) the rules change. So while not strictly a gross misconduct situation - gross misconduct almost always carries with it the threat of dismissal.

The rights stem from a constitutional right to justice and fairness, including representation. However it depends (rather unfairly) on the job. The suggestion is one can be a professional prison guard but not a professional cleaner or shop worker. Very interesting and quite snobby area of law IMHO. Sorry for the digression.

Last time I'll say it - not point in taking a solicitor to a hearing anyway in the vast majority of cases. Having one on the end of the phone though is quite different and most entertaining in some cases.

The one personal case I had well over ten years ago was due to my suffering from a protracted illness.

I attended the company doctor who agreed I was too unwell to work, but the company initiated proceedings to dismiss me due to the protracted illness.

I sought legal advice, and initiated a freedom of information request on all of my records, which appeared to frighten the company enough that they dropped all proceedings.

Too many times I think companies think employees are too afraid to take action.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,764 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I think the union would be IMPACT so might just give them a call and see what they say. Awful to be treated so badly and feel like have no support whatsoever especially if you are the kind of person that doesn't like to argue over things!

OP, it's worth a go.

But remember that if it's your colleagues who have shafted you already, then those same colleagues may well be union members. And the union will have to represent the majority of it's member, ie support the colleagues not you.

There's a lot of spatting here about whether you're allowed to have a lawyer or not. Don't listen to it: if your company have said "a colleague or someone" then that someone can be anyone - a solicitor, a friend, a union organiser etc. But it may get expensive, especially if the company pulls tricks.

As stated, it may be better to have a friend who's an excellent note-taker and have some idea about meeting procedure.

If you're presented with anything to sign, don't do it there. Say you will take it away and get back to them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

If you're presented with anything to sign, don't do it there. Say you will take it away and get back to them.
    But if the company has any cop on they will simply read it out loud to you and have two witnesses sign it stating you have been read the content but refused to sign it.

On the other hand if they do have something prepared to sign they could set themselves up for a procedural mistake (deciding the outcome of the meeting in advance rather than have a fact gathering and clarifying meeting and then based on the facts presented take a decision).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

Nody wrote: »
    But if the company has any cop on they will simply read it out loud to you and have two witnesses sign it stating you have been read the content but refused to sign it.

On the other hand if they do have something prepared to sign they could set themselves up for a procedural mistake (deciding the outcome of the meeting in advance rather than have a fact gathering and clarifying meeting and then based on the facts presented take a decision).

Depends on what stage the OP is at with the disciplinary process, a meeting such as this usually comes towards the end and at a stage when a company is looking to terminate a contract.

Does anybody know if you have handed in your notice do you still have to attend this meeting? and can you get fired if you have already handed in your notice ( I am basically working my notice out at present-2 weeks) thanks guys for your help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

How long are you with the company and how much notice of the disciplinary meeting did they give you?

Is what you are accused of considered Gross misconduct?

Does anybody know if you have handed in your notice do you still have to attend this meeting? and can you get fired if you have already handed in your notice ( I am basically working my notice out at present-2 weeks) thanks guys for your help.

Come to an agreement with the employer. Usually you negotiate a good reference, a payment and the process being dropped in exchange for notice. Speak to your solicitor.

• Advertisement

Hi Avatar with this crowd seven months. I got notice 5 days ago re meeting and handed in my notice 4 days ago. No in my opinion its not gross misconduct as its all hearsay (if that makes sense).

Advertisement