Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Tax bands fair?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

I do also want to know who decides who are "the deserving poor" and who are the ones who should be kicked out onto the streets. Personality test?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Great, let them live on the streets and see who gives a toss. That is where they belong, not with a taxpayer provided roof over their heads.

Taxpayers in this country are being taken for fools not by the rich but by the abundance of underclass scroungers who go on fleecing this country and nothing is done about it.

And nothing bad will come of that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

bmm wrote: »
    Not fair, no way!
    A new 70% tax rate for all income over 70k for a single person.
    Low income earners , under 20k should pay Zero tax and zero USC/bank bail out tax ! Income between 20k-70k should be taxed at 25%.

Simples!

So if you earn 69k you should pay 17,250 tax a year and if you earn 71k you should pay 49700 tax a year?

Dots1982 wrote: »
    So if you earn 69k you should pay 17,250 tax a year and if you earn 71k you should pay 49700 tax a year?
    That's not what it says

efb wrote: »
    That's not what it says

What's wrong?

• Advertisement

70k would be 12,500
    71k would be 13,200

• Registered Users Posts: 23,482 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

And nothing bad will come of that?

You are afraid of them. Why?

Do you think a few nights on the streets might

a: turn them into rampant criminals (whilst starving, cold and wet)

or

b: teach a lesson to society that there are consequences to certain behaviour

Income 0-20,000 nil
    Income 20,000- 70,000 12,500
    70,000-71.000 - 700

You are afraid of them. Why?

Do you think a few nights on the streets might

a: turn them into rampant criminals (whilst starving, cold and wet)

or

b: teach a lesson to society that their are consequences to certain behaviour

What has history taught us?

I am waiting for you to tell me why you are afraid of those that actually steal from you while making people's lives a misery.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Desperate people do desperate things :P Instead of being mugged at knife point you probably be knifed then mugged.

Income 0-20,000 nil
    Income 20,000- 70,000 12,500
    70,000-71.000 - 700

My misunderstanding, apologies

I am waiting for you to tell me why you are afraid of those that actually steal from you.

I dunno they may have knives of weapons and unfortunately I'm not Steven seagal. And by the time the Garda get to the area if ever one could be dead. I highly doubt one would be saying this nonsense if it was there child being targeted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Well around about what figure would the tax be if there was a 15% across the boards rate, versus what we have now? What figure would it need to be?

I dunno they may have knives of weapons and unfortunately I'm not Steven seagal. And by the time the Garda get to the area if ever one could be dead. I highly doubt one would be saying this nonsense if it was there child being targeted.

So keep baby feeding them your money because you are afraid of them. I take a different approach. Manners can be put on much more easily than you think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Not a NSA agent

I dunno they may have knives of weapons and unfortunately I'm not Steven legals. And by the time the Garda get to the area if ever one could be dead. I highly doubt one would be saying this nonsense if it was there child being targeted.

Then you just have more gardai working to prevent crime. Sure it could end up costing more and be a pain in the ass but at least you'll teach them a lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭JonEBGud

One of the worst things the F F government did was to do away with "Rates".
    Every council knew their budget.
    They could budget for water, bins, street lighting, parks and gardens and house sizes etc.
    Now we're paying on the double for all those services.

So keep baby feeding them your money because you are afraid of them. I take a different approach. Manners can be put on much more easily than you think.

Who decides who needs manners put on them ?

Do you live in Gotham?

Kermit. Rich people aren't the problem, its the poor.

• Advertisement

Do you live in Gotham?

Nah I think Mega city 1

Scumbag goes for weekly wage in dole office.

Scumbag told no money for them.

Suddenly ruthless scumbag becomes begging pathetic destitute figure - deperate for help from the very people said scumbag abused.

Lesson learned. Plenty of time and incentive to think their lives over.

Kermit. Rich people aren't the problem, its the poor.

Ah yeah I forgot :pac: Coke and hookers are fine :P

Suddenly ruthless scumbag becomes begging pathetic destitute figure - deperate for help from the very people said scumbag abused.

Lesson learned. Plenty of time to think their lives over.

Ruthless scumbag stabs you for your Iphone check mate.

Lesson learned. Plenty of time and incentive to think their lives over.

Are all people on the dole scumbags???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Not a NSA agent

Nope, kermit buys himself a stab proof vest with all the money he saved while cursing how the tax he pays pays for the footpath he is walking on while others pay less.

Why are you afraid of these people? You are clearly happy for them to leech off you because you are scared.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

We have the most overly progressive tax rate in the OECD, which in layman's terms means low earners pay feck all tax (I'd be in this category) and high earners bear a massive brunt. It's completely unfair on high income earners imo.

Our tax regime should be brought in line with the rest of the developed world, or we will continue to see highly skilled workers leaving the country to work elsewhere purely because of tax reasons (which is a massive problem in Ireland at the moment - even though it isn't popular to discuss)

Nope, kermit buys himself a stab proof vest with all the money he saved while cursing how the tax he pays pays for the footpath he is walking on while others pay less.

what if he's stabbed in the neck?

Hospitals better not be publicly funded!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

The more you have the more ability you have to avail of loopholes fancy accountants so there is a cut off. And no one pays 52% tax.

Most probably don't dark, but I'm sure some do.

Consider that case if a single person was earning something really high like 300k+.

They'll be taxed at the lower rate for only about 10% of their income, paying the 52% on the 90% of income above this, so it would probably work out at about 50% overall in that case.

Advertisement