Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driver Cyclist arguement with a brilliant ending NSFW or kids

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

QuinDixie wrote: »
    I think you are very confused.
    I do not overtake every bicycle and leave 1 foot gap. That does not happen.
    I have done it, but very rarely and involving low speeds.
    I suppose it comes down to skill of driving, mine is very high. You dont drive so wouldnt understand.
    Presumably this is just trolling, but if not, perhaps I should explain that I do drive. Like most cyclists, I drive, having passed the same driving test as every other driver.

Most of us think that we're great drivers, and most of us are wrong. If you think that there are any circumstances where a 1 foot gap is safe, you are neither a skilled driver nor a courteous driver.

But again, you avoid the question - what is so urgent about your overtake that you can't wait 30 or 60 seconds to do it safely and legally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

I think you are very confused.
    I do not overtake every bicycle and leave 1 foot gap. That does not happen.
    I have done it, but very rarely and involving low speeds.
    I suppose it comes down to skill of driving, mine is very high. You dont drive so wouldnt understand.

You be careful out there. Always keep it real and show some courtesy.

The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias wherein relatively unskilled individuals suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly assessing their ability to be much higher than is accurate. This bias is attributed to a metacognitive inability of the unskilled to accurately evaluate their own ability level. Conversely, highly skilled individuals may underestimate their relative competence, erroneously assuming that tasks that are easy for them are also easy for others.[1]

David Dunning and Justin Kruger of Cornell University have postulated that the effect is the result of internal illusion in the unskilled, and external misperception in the skilled: "The miscalibration of the incompetent stems from an error about the self, whereas the miscalibration of the highly competent stems from an error about others."

As has been said, if you think 1 foot is enough, then you are not a competent driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭QuinDixie

RainyDay wrote: »
    Presumably this is just trolling, but if not, perhaps I should explain that I do drive. Like most cyclists, I drive, having passed the same driving test as every other driver.

Most of us think that we're great drivers, and most of us are wrong. If you think that there are any circumstances where a 1 foot gap is safe, you are neither a skilled driver nor a courteous driver.

But again, you avoid the question - what is so urgent about your overtake that you can't wait 30 or 60 seconds to do it safely and legally.

Most of us think we are great cyclists, and most of us are wrong.:pac:

1 foot gap and happens everyday, and the statistics prove its not exceptionally dangerous. Just look at cyclist deaths. Very low. Cycling is not a dangerous pastime.

ezra_pound wrote: »
    The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias wherein relatively unskilled individuals suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly assessing their ability to be much higher than is accurate. This bias is attributed to a metacognitive inability of the unskilled to accurately evaluate their own ability level. Conversely, highly skilled individuals may underestimate their relative competence, erroneously assuming that tasks that are easy for them are also easy for others.[1]

David Dunning and Justin Kruger of Cornell University have postulated that the effect is the result of internal illusion in the unskilled, and external misperception in the skilled: "The miscalibration of the incompetent stems from an error about the self, whereas the miscalibration of the highly competent stems from an error about others."

As has been said, if you think 1 foot is enough, then you are not a competent driver.

I dont understand, can you explain to me better.
    Does this mean everyone in the whole world suffers from this.:D

I dont understand, can you explain to me better.
    Does this mean everyone in the whole world suffers from this.:D

No but incompetent drivers who think that they have excellent drinking skills do.

• Advertisement

No but incompetent drivers who think that they have excellent drinking skills do.

Yes is the answer. your answer shows you suffer from it to.
    Ya Follow.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭LeBash

Yer man on the bike was just looking for an argument and chickened out. A better outcome would have been the driver catching the bike with the kick and both of taking a faceplant.

No.

I think you've got a bias in your ability to understand cognitive bias theories.

No.

Exactly. :D

• Advertisement

I think you've got a bias in your ability to understand cognitive bias theories.

Love it, must be contagious, That description of cognitive bias fits with everyone I know. :pac:

Exactly. :D

I'm sorry but someone who thinks that it's acceptable to overtake a pedal bike leaving only 1 foot is acceptable because it happens everyday is not only an idiot but a bad driver. Furthermore, If that incompetent driver considers that they are skilled as a motorist, they are clearly suffering from a cognitive bias.

Love it, must be contagious, That description of cognitive bias fits with everyone I know. :pac:

Maybe because your peers are all in their twenties!

I'm sorry but someone who thinks that it's acceptable to overtake a pedal bike leaving only 1 foot is acceptable because it happens everyday is not only an idiot but a bad driver. Furthermore, If that incompetent driver considers that they are skilled as a motorist, they are clearly suffering from a cognitive bias.

Firstly, I dont think you understand cognitive bias.
    Secondly, I am not the idiot here, see Firstly.
    Thirdly, I am an excellent driver. never had a point, a fine, any accident.
    Hooray for me.
    1 foot my eye.:pac:

Hooray for me.

What does 1 foot my eye mean?

1 foot is what you think is a reasonable distance to overtake cyclists. Right?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Hooray for me.

Ok, enough sly digs. We're done here unless somebody else wants to talk about something other than how long 1 foot is.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement