Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Businesses opening in Dublin 15

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,209 ✭✭✭ongarite

Petshop going into the old butchers shop in Ongar.
    The old Jaipur restaurant is also reserved for new tenant, don't know who is taking it over yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭MacauDragon

quickbeam wrote: »
    I thought it was quite obviously advertising new houses (birds' nest = human houses).

Well yes i suppose humans are synonymous with poultry.
    I imagine the eggs represent savings accounts and pension funds.
    While hatching represents the hatching of a deal and signing of legal paperwork.

Its all so clear now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

ongarite wrote: »
    Petshop going into the old butchers shop in Ongar.
    The old Jaipur restaurant is also reserved for new tenant, don't know who is taking it over yet.

A petshop? Seems like a strange choice for a small village with no passing/tourist trade. Best of luck to them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

Ive heard the Ongar road construction is 260 new houses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Well,i know is more Co. Meath than D15 but is at border so it may influence the area around it.
    After Facebook builds a massive datacentre for the faceborg users, new investment near by comes with 400 permanent jobs plus a massive manufacturing plant of 120-acre site between Dunboyne and Dunshaughlin !
    Nice one...

Link here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Great to Shire building a biologics plant, brilliant for the area

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭AlanG

I noticed the new coffee shop in Blanch Village across from the greyhound has chairs and table in it now so work must have restarted. Does anyone know if insomnia is still going in there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It won't prevent people paying at the pump and heading in anyway to pick up a few things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

I was running low on petrol this evening and the "M3" services are on my route, so I drove off the N3 to see whether the prices had gone down to something reasonable. They had (126.9), so I went in.

To my great joy, the first pump I approached had pay-at-pump. If I had my way, all forecourts would work this way. Instead, the Irish pattern (as played out in every true motorway service area) is to fit the equipment, then decommission it some weeks later, either because it runs out of receipt roll or to drive people into the shop to buy overpriced junk food.

Anyway, this forecourt has a new trick - the pay at pump makes a show of working, then just fails. Not knowing that only some of the pumps have the feature, I drove to a different one. This didn't have a card slot and helpfully informed me that prepay is required after 8.

Despite being a man of the world, I still don't know what a full tank of juice costs, so I dismissed the prepay option as I frequently do on other forecourts, and lifted the nozzle. But these guys are on top of their game. I had to enter the premises, approach the counter and ask with what must have seemed like some exasperation (it was) what was up with the pay at pump. Apparently it's a bit flaky and had been acting up all day. Turns out the cashier didn't know how much a full tank costs either (what do they teach these guys?), but he began to propose something about charging 50 and if I'd stuck around to hear it, I suppose I was supposed to go back into the shop to pay any remainder.

So did I persist with a transaction that was going to end up taking two visits to a pump and another two to the cashier? I did in my proverbial. I took my money elsewhere. I didn't notice whether the Applegreen in Clonsilla had a prepay policy marked on their pump, but they let me pump juice before paying either way.

What's the deal with evening prepay anyway? A brand new forecourt like this should have full camera coverage, and it's not like the cops can pursue a driveaway any faster during the day.

This is very early in the lifetime of a fuel station for the pay at pump to be on the blink, while at the same time being long enough after opening for teething problems to be sorted. First impression: not positive.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

mackerski wrote: »
    Turns out the cashier didn't know how much a full tank costs either (what do they teach these guys?)

So the cashier is expected to know the exact size of every fuel tank of every model of car on the road, and also how much fuel is already in the tank in question before filling it, and then work out exactly how much a fill of that tank would cost based on the constantly changing fuel prices? Yeah, it's shocking they're not taught all that. :rolleyes:

Zaph wrote: »
    So the cashier is expected to know the exact size of every fuel tank of every model of car on the road, and also how much fuel is already in the tank in question before filling it, and then work out exactly how much a fill of that tank would cost based on the constantly changing fuel prices? Yeah, it's shocking they're not taught all that. :rolleyes:

You might want to retune your sarcasm detector, there. My point is that, by expecting me to prepay, the operator is expecting me to do all of those things. Which is just as unreasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Patww79 wrote: »

You don't end up waiting for a family of 5 to get a Supermacs before you can use one because the cashier for the fuel and the cashier for Supermacs are at two different areas. So that's a ridiculously over the top remark.

I will admit though that there has been more than a few teething problems with the fuel side of things.

Anyway, this forecourt has a new trick - the pay at pump makes a show of working, then just fails.

I've used pay at pump there loads of times with no issues.
    Turns out the cashier didn't know how much a full tank costs either (what do they teach these guys?), but he began to propose something about charging 50 and if I'd stuck around to hear it, I suppose I was supposed to go back into the shop to pay any remainder.
    My point is that, by expecting me to prepay, the operator is expecting me to do all of those things. Which is just as unreasonable.

Not sure if you were intentionally being facetious with either the cashier or the post, but seriously, how hard could it have been for you to decide all by yourself that I'll stick €30/40/50 for now, or were you already thinking about what you were going to post on the internet at this stage?

I have old fashioned ideas about how convenience should break down between a service provider and a paying consumer. In this case, I engaged the process in good faith and was disappointed, with the suggested resolution being more inconvenience.

I'm glad to read that pay at pump has been known to work. The cashier mentioned that it had been flaky, which was all I had to go on.

As to guessing how much the car will take, when I find a well-priced forecourt I fill the tank. Choosing an amount of fuel is a valid life choice, of course, but for the garage it means taking less revenue and for me it means refuelling again sooner.

First world problems indeed, but hey, my credit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Blured

I have old fashioned ideas about how convenience should break down between a service provider and a paying consumer. In this case, I engaged the process in good faith and was disappointed, with the suggested resolution being more inconvenience.

I'm glad to read that pay at pump has been known to work. The cashier mentioned that it had been flaky, which was all I had to go on.

As to guessing how much the car will take, when I find a well-priced forecourt I fill the tank. Choosing an amount of fuel is a valid life choice, of course, but for the garage it means taking less revenue and for me it means refuelling again sooner.

First world problems indeed, but hey, my credit card.

Are you being serious? Pre pay pumps can't operate on an unknown amount. You basically tell them 20/30/40 whatever, pay them that amount and that's how much you get.

Really not sure if you are on a wind up

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Surely you'd have an idea of how much you need to input into prepay in order to get a full tank based on the level on your fuel gage? I'd always use pre pay if available and always find it convenient and easy to use. It's just another option. If you aren't happy pay in store.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I'd a similar story to mackerski.

As I understand it, you pay in the the shop what you think you'll use, say €50. If you overestimate, and the tank fills at less then €50, then you have to go *back* in to get your change - two visits. If you underestimate then it stops when it's filled to €50 worth, which may not be a full tank, and if you've OCD tendancies like me, you may want a full tank. The "pay at pump" vs "pre pay at counter" signs weren't obvious to me when I first visited. I'd not have a problem with "pay at pump" as it doesn't matter if you over estimate as only the amount used will come off your credit/debit card. But I wasn't going to risk the two scenarios of either (1) having to make two visits to get my change or (2) not ending up with a full tank, so I took my business elsewhere, and won't be returning unless I'm desperate. Of course, this is first world problems, but there are other stations that don't have these problems and these are the ones I'll give my business to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Patww79 wrote: »

This is my pet hate too and I've noticed it a lot since more and more of these stations have opened (Obama Plaza, Birdhill etc). These forecourts have so much to offer that the delay/linger time is longer. Common courtesy should dictate that unless you are literally buying petrol, you should move away from the fuel bay once you've filled up and park in the customer parking area if you want to also get a barista prepared coffee, made to order sandwich or use the loos etc etc. It's so annoying when you're stuck behind a car at the pump and they eventually saunter out with their Subway sandwich, coffee or big mac etc....!

Blured wrote: »
    Are you being serious? Pre pay pumps can't operate on an unknown amount. You basically tell them 20/30/40 whatever, pay them that amount and that's how much you get.

Really not sure if you are on a wind up

If that's how it works, it's a really crappy pay at pump experience (well, a bit less crappy than not working at all).

I've used many pay at pump systems and I'm pretty sure all of them did a pre-auth for €100 and then ultimately charged whatever you tanked.

No wind up - I genuinely do expect a well designed service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

I never been there yet BUT prepay for me means I pay €50 at the counter, go back to the car, insert pump, press the button AND the pump should stop at €50.
    If it does, happy day.
    If not, i keep holding until it stops, i mean full tank.

That's every time I meet these "pre-pay" pumps and the guy behind till says is not working like that, i have to make sure I stop it at the paid amount...

rolion wrote: »
    I never been there yet BUT prepay for me means I pay €50 at the counter, go back to the car, insert pump, press the button AND the pump should stop at €50.
    If it does, happy day.
    If not, i keep holding until it stops, i mean full tank.

That's every time I meet these "pre-pay" pumps and the guy behind till says is not working like that, i have to make sure I stop it at the paid amount...

The ones at the N3 service will slow down and stop when you get to the amount you authorised.

The other type, the ones you pay at the counter before hand, usually work that way too. I don't recall any that go past what you paid for that I've ever used.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Had a bad experience with the new N3 service station recently. On the way to the airport @5AM I was very low in fuel. I pulled into the station and tried 3 pumps using the "pre-pay" option and none would accept my Visa Debit card. They couldn't take it through the window either as they don't have a card machine that reaches to it! None of the staff could help either obviously because the place is locked up for the overnight shift. I was left with no option but to drive to the airport on an empty tank. Filled up at the airport using their "pre-pay" option with no issues. What a joke of a service.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Havent tried their petrol yet but the salads in Chopped are really good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Gaspode wrote: »

Agreed! The salads I've tried are all delicious and you get so much of it too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Gaspode wrote: »

Advertisement