Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Leaf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,061 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

... and now I can't get Android Auto to work!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Check your cable, to it works for me but cuts out intermittently I recon it's because my cable is old and shite

Also abrp seems to be causing issues

Yeah tried 4 different cables, none working.

Followed all the instructions in the user manual, and a couple of YouTube videos.

So keep trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Partial

Should I have gotten a chademo lead with my new lead or do I purchase that separately? Or is it the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,075 ✭✭✭✭KCross

No, the Chademo lead is attached to the public charger. You dont bring one with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭harderthanf

Is every ones Leaf camera such bad quality? Terribly low resolution and wobbly lines??

No, mine always been pretty sharp, considering it is only a little lens.

Are you sure yours are clean and free of dirt? This time of year they get very mucky, give them all a quick wipe and try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭harderthanf

Yeah, it's just out of the showroom. Wonder if there's a fault on this one.

Re: my issue getting Android Auto to work, I have now tried 2 phones and loads of cables, and still no joy.

Do you need a certain version of Android OS, as both ours phones are version 8.

Edit: was Android Auto even standard, or perhaps it's an extra my car hasn't got?

Post edited by NIMAN on

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Partial

Had a bit of a nightmare first day of long distance travel today, but learned some lessons! I have two stupid questions:

does having a phone plugged into the USB affect the distance, ie the main battery?

when heating is turned off there is still cold air coming from the vents. Can this be switched off? Was trying to save battery by not using heating but the air was cold!

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭furiousox

We're ready to pull the trigger on either a 40kw leaf sve or the kona executive 39.

Daily commute from Drogheda to Nth Dublin city and back, about 90km per day round trip and we will be getting a home charger fitted.

Money wise they're both working out much the same.

We both like the two tone leaf in white with the black roof but my wife slightly prefers the driving position of the kona (we both noticed the centre console in the leaf flares outwards and irritates your left knee somewhat)

I'm 60/40 in favour of the leaf but I'm slightly concerned that it's maybe becoming outdated in comparison to the new technology of the kona.

I don't see one being "better" than the other, just different from each other.

Can any leaf owners help me with any obvious reason apart from the different driving positions (car vs suv) to choose one over the other?

Thanks!

CPL 593H

Charging your phone makes no difference to range. Neither will having wipers, radio or a/c on.

high speed, wet roads and cabin heating affect range.

heat the cabin before you leave (when plugged in) and then just leave it on and it won’t affect range that much. Don’t drive around in the cold. life is too short for that carry on! 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭podge3

I had the same dilemma late last year, although I was looking at the 62kwh Leaf and e-Niro (close relation of the Kona).

I had looked at all of the other available EVs in that price bracket and narrowed it down to those 2. TBH, I didn't consider the Kona as it's too small, although it's very similar to the e-Niro.

What swung it for me was range. Both Korean cars are much more efficient than the Leaf. There were other considerations also like the Nissan's passively cooled battery, battery degradation, Chademo charging etc.

I already had a Leaf and was slow to look elsewhere but IMHO, Nissan dropped the ball on the "new" Leaf in 2018 and got totally left behind in the EV game. The new Ariya looks to be a great car but it's a different price bracket.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

Can you fast charge a 2011 Nissan Leaf?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭jprboy

Yes, once it has a CHAdeMO connector port.

Not all of the earlier Leafs had these.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Just be mindful that the 2011 Leaf is most likely down to about 8 bars. It’s the early battery tech.

Car will be perfect but range will be reduced to 80ish km I’d imagine at this stage.

you are right , 80 km in summer, 70 on these cold days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Have you done a Leafspy State of Health on it?

I'm curious as to why you think chademo is considered a disadvantage?

• Advertisement

Chademo is now effectively a legacy standard. I think the Leaf is the only new EV on offer with it. The new Ariya has CCS.

We both like the two tone leaf in white with the black roof but my wife slightly prefers the driving position of the kona (we both noticed the centre console in the leaf flares outwards and irritates your left knee somewhat)

Everything else is immaterial! You know the decision is made for you! 😀

Can any leaf owners help me with any obvious reason apart from the different driving positions (car vs suv) to choose one over the other?

Being serious though, both cars will serve you well so I think it really is down to how each car makes you feel. Does your gut pull you to one over the other and then just go with that.

One thing the Leaf does have is the app and the ability to remotely heat the cabin. Does the Kona have that now? I know it didnt but maybe that was addressed. App support and remote heating is very useful in winter. Hopping into a warm, defrosted car each morning is a joy!

I have never used Leafspy. I have the car over two years now, in daily use, its a joy to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

That remote heating is an absolute joy! And it costs next to nothing for a huge benefit...

How is it legacy? Other than the handful of ionity and Tesla stations it's available at every fast charge station in the country and beyond

One of the definitions of legacy is indicating that something has been superseded. Chademo has gone the way of betamax, HD DVD, DAT etc etc and CCS has won the plug war.

Of all the new EVs available, AFAIK the only mainstream car using Chademo is the Leaf. Sooner or later, new rapid charging stations will start reducing or eliminating Chademo connectors.

This will take ages, of course, there are a lot of Leafs out there and will be for a long time to come.

Some would say the fact that only the Leaf is using Chademo is, in effect, giving Leaf owners a private charging network - just like Tesla 🙂.

CCS is a european standard so it will eventually be in all cars in the EU so for that reason it will eventually win out, that is true, but to say CCS is already the winner is a bit premature though. The difference between Chademo and betamax, HD DVD etc etc is that dual CCS/Chademo chargers are the norm whereas a dual HD-DVD bluray player was never going to happen. The fact that the Nissan Leaf is still being sold today with Chademo suggests they'll be around for the next 10 years at least and by then who knows what the EU will decide is the next charging standard

I know of just one DC charging station that has chademo only, the rest that I know of are Dual CCS/Chademo stations... Not exactly what I would call a "network"

• Registered Users Posts: 46 autoboi

Hi folks,

Could I ask for some buying advice for a Nissan Leaf. My current petrol car is coming to the end of the road and electric is how I would like to go.

Im looking at 2016-2017 Nissan Leaf in both 24Kw and 30Kw versions. My work means I will move around Dublin for the next few years which I'm sure either version will cope with. I will be based in Naas for a while which is where I worry.

So my question is would a 24kw leaf get me from North Dublin to Naas and back (comfortably) on a single charge? Google maps tells me its a 80km round trip 95% of which is motorway. From what I read a 24Kw will do it but I feel like nobody is quoting motorway range!

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭tobottherobot

Hi there,

I have a 2016 24Kwh leaf with the full 12 bars / 90% ish SOH.

I drove from West Dublin to Athlone in it (104km) on the M4/6 in cold weather with the heat on intermittently. If you're going 120kmh it wouldn't do it but you learn to balance the speed to the range you need to go... If youre between 80-100km speed it wont be an issue. If I'm on fast roads in winter, my rule of thumb is 1km = 1% (which is conservative).

You should be fine if you get one with good health. The 30Kwh obviously makes it more comfortably but they tend to be a a few k more expensive and a lot of them have bad battery degredation already.

If I was you, I'd go with the 24kwh and save the money. They're a great car... get a Tekna, very comfortable place to be. Also, don't forget they have a granny charger so you possibly charge at work

T.

Advertisement