Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some land to develop

Options
  • 30-07-2015 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi all,

I just wanted peoples opinion if i could on something that has been bugging me for a while and doing alot of day dreaming about it :)

I have built a house on fathers in laws land, he has 10 acres that he rents out to a local farmer, he says he hasn't got paid in 5 years for renting this land and he doesn't go chasing it. Remaining land goes around my house, both sides and back. The farmer that's renting it only puts animals into it now and again, horses, yearlings etc, but it is a bit wild and lots of rushes/weeds/ragworth etc in it that's horrible to look out on. The father in law and i have done alot of work on the ditches by hand to tidy them up and I have put an electric fence around my house and the roadway to at least stop the animals going onto my lawn and onto the road, the remaining fencing leaves alot to be desired, as in the can break into his own land and he often has mixtures of animals in with each other for days on end till he comes and separates them again.

My issue is, ive been day dreaming about asking the father in law (who i get on well with) about taking over this land and actually doing something with it. i got some chickens recently and slowly getting the bug to grow your own food and doing things you actually enjoy doing. I used to be big into sport but have since retired from playing and have a busy job and a young family, but i still have a bit of spare time i could use and become a 'farmer'. I spent my youth working on my uncles large dairy farm and often miss the work i did on it.

I dont have alot of capital to invest in this pipe dream, there's no housing facilities and i'd have to pipe water, i have electric fence purchased, i'd have to do a small bit of drainage and alot of fencing.

What i was thinking, was maybe 2 donkeys (for the kids), 2/3 pigs, 2 bee hives, maybe a poly tunnel, veg area, bigger area for hens, 2/3 goats maybe lambs don't know for sure.

Are there any grants i could get to help out with fencing or starting up and with lack of machinery to help out i'd either be slaving away by hand or paying a contractor, but i'm in no panic with things, dont mind taking things slowly.

Am i mad to think i could have fun with this or would this all bring about unnecessary hardship and costs on top of me?

Sterling

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Not mad at all.
    Start out small.
    Hens you have already. Maybe add a couple turkeys, or ducks?
    Do some research -
    will your family drink/use goats milk?
    Will you eat the meat if you raise some pigs?
    See if you can buy a 2nd hand polytunnel
    There are tons of courses you could consider going on to prepare
    Contact Teagasc, google other organisations in your area
    If you have the time/energy/inclination to do something with this land, it could be a wonderful hobby/enhancement to your lifestyle. Get the kids involved - great for them to grow up in such an environment/mentality
    Ask around, check out smallholding.ie or Irish Smallholders Association etc
    You will be amazed at what comes out of the woodwork, resources/offers of help/freebies etc when you ask around your local area
    Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sterling10

I'd like to think i'd be able to eat what i grow and give some to my parents and parents in law who live close by, both sets of parents took early retirement recently so help put alot with our kids and maybe even would like to help out with this project. Three Turkeys, one each for Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭GardeningGirl

We were born to dream!
    I second the earlier advice, start small and only increase your small holding as you get comfortable with each element.
    Pigs aren't the easiest to manage IMO and hens definitely don't mix well with lovingly tended fruit and veg gardens lol.. Keep them well fenced apart for the good of your sanity ;)
    Avoid 'pets' because they quickly become a drag when there are other animals who provide you both pleasure and 'profit'.
    Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

I would say avoid donkeys, cranky gits & long lived too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bellview

Not to come across all legal but the farmer that is renting the land could come to claim it unless you move him in shortly as he is not paying rent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,152 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Bellview wrote: »
    Not to come across all legal but the farmer that is renting the land could come to claim it unless you move him in shortly as he is not paying rent.
    Again not coming across all legal but I thought that there was something about 12 years and adverse possession - could be wrong.
    However you are correct in warning OP about the possibilities.

Base price wrote: »
    Again not coming across all legal but I thought that there was something about 12 years and adverse possession - could be wrong.
    However you are correct in warning OP about the possibilities.

plenty threads about that in the legal discussion forum

• Registered Users Posts: 11,152 ✭✭✭✭Base price

ganmo wrote: »
    plenty threads about that in the legal discussion forum
    Could you post links for OP.

Base price wrote: »
    Could you post links for OP.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057461594

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057458286

the person seeking to take possession of the land needs to show they made an effort to find the owner. that and they can't have gotten any kind of permission to use it

Advertisement