Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Grand Tour [Amazon]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,307 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I downloaded the first 2 Grand tour episodes... either of them worth watching?

I've only watched Episode 1.
    The only segment that I thought was worth watching was the main feature... the trip in Switzerland with Clarkson in a Lamborghini Aventador S, May in a Honda NSX, and Hammond in a Rimac Concept One.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Anjobe

I downloaded the first 2 Grand tour episodes... either of them worth watching?

First episode is OK, 3 nice cars in some spectacular scenery plus Hammond's accident. Some annoying clumsy scripted nonsense though, and a really quite dull celebrity bit.

Second episode is a bit better - a car (new Ford GT) vs public transport race plus a power test (new Mercedes-AMG GT R) and a new unnamed female test driver for the power laps (actually Abbie Eaton), just like an old TG episode - just FF through the celeb bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,718 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Much improved. The American gone and killing celebrities every week gone too. Shows they took the negative feedback on board. Good to see. Negative now is the celebrity section. Always was even on Top Gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

worst bit is the scripted chit chat, just a filler really

• Registered Users Posts: 12,823 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Okay, so Top Gear dug up Dunsfold to make the track a half rally cross track and found that it didn't work and went back to the old track. What do The Grand Tour do?
    Also if they aren't lugging the tent around the world anymore then why have it? Why not just rent a studio?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Watching, albeit with mild enthusiasm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Tell me Clarkson didn't actually mow down all those dead sheep? what the fuk was that......there's no way they'd have got away with that on the bbc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

Its like the last few seasons of TG before teh fracas.

A bit **** and rather dull but we all keep watching in the hope that something interesting might happen to justify our perseverance with the 3 lads.

However i dont think its going to get any better, but i will continue out of morbid curiosity waiting for the day it finally disappears up its own hole

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I'm really struggling to come to terms with how old looking they've gotten. It's no longer three men going around in cars having the craic, but more like an episode of Dad's Army. These guys are far disconnected from the audience they are getting on Amazon Prime

EDIT: I just checked, and Clarkson is only 57 :eek: He appears a LOT older than that in this series. May is 54, and Hammond is only 48. Wow. I thought they were all a fair bit older

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Patww79 wrote: »
    Clarkson said on twitter that story is rubbish and rightly pointed out it's the daily mail after all.

Either way there will be other offers falling over themselves for the trio if Amazon want out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Clarkson said there'll be no more studio stuff in the series that follows this. Good. There was a thing on RTE Entertainment reportedly saying the presenters will also have their own individual stuff. Hope this means documentaries.

https://twitter.com/JeremyClarkson/status/1073576362500333568

I wouldn't have changed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

48738c2fd0a7a08fbf19d1a4c9b2a33f.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Just finished the first show, same old same old nothing new. Glad they are getting rid of the tent for the next series as it brings nothing to the show.
    Heavily scripted as per usual but the on location segment is a slick production with plenty of money thrown into it.
    A few class muscle cars on it but it’s a definitely a tired format at this stage.
    A bit of brain dead telly for an hour .. watchable .

I felt quite sorry for Detroit, really. The theatre was most impressive. Glad they went to the old factory, a few nice pics of old Cadillacs.

Nice pop about Millionaire.

"Back to the tent" just doesn't roll off the tongue and sounds rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I watched first episode of season 3 this morning ..

Was a bit dissapointed , I actually thought season 2 was a massive improvement over season 1 but 1st episode of season 3 wasnt great in my opinion.

I think they're trying to hard in conversation street , scripting it to hell.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

13 episodes, they cant all be perfect.

I have seen quite a few shows\documentaries about Detroit recently so that took away a few of the "surprises".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Anjobe

I thought it was OK - but it is just an undemanding, reasonably enjoyable hour of TV. Its been a few years now since TGT/TG was anything more.

The other thing, I got a new TV a couple of months ago, and I have to say that Ultra HD + HDR really doesn't do the 3 guys any favours.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Beautifully edited, but very poorly shot. You could see the cops and fire brigades in the background of their "impromptu" street drag race.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Colombia special; double episode field trip coming out tomorrow and Saturday; these tend to be the best part of every season so looking forward to it.

First part was a bit on the dull side, tbh. Second part a lot better. Great ad for Colombia. The hummingbirds were a real treat, surpassed only by the hippos.

I stopped when they were photographing the birds and dogs around town after sitting through the whole beach scene with the car. As poor as I've ever seen on this or when they were on the BBC. Was so disappointing as I was looking forward to it when I heard it was a special. Even worse than India.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

I stopped when they were photographing the birds and dogs around town after sitting through the whole beach scene with the car. As poor as I've ever seen on this or when they were on the BBC. Was so disappointing as I was looking forward to it when I heard it was a special. Even worse than India.

If you didn't finish watching the entire two episode specials, then you don't get to have an opinion.

I really enjoyed the special, definitely better than India or Middle East specials. It's on par with Ukraine special I reckon.

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    If you didn't finish watching the entire two episode specials, then you don't get to have an opinion.

I really enjoyed the special, definitely better than India or Middle East specials. It's on par with Ukraine special I reckon.

Finish watching? Then nobody does as only the first has been on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Finish watching? Then nobody does as only the first has been on.

Both are available

Advertisement