Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A good strategy game?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭howyegettinon1

downloading XCOM Enemy Unknown and Company of Heroes now:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

downloading XCOM Enemy Unknown and Company of Heroes now:D

Why not Enemy Within? It's like X-Com 1.5
    Its an expansion with all the original stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭howyegettinon1

Cormac... wrote: »

ok ill download that one so :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

WHAT!!!!!!!

I thought it was a separate game, I've been playing Enemy unknown until then was going to move on to Enemy Within.

WHAT!!!!!!!

I thought it was a separate game, I've been playing Enemy unknown until then was going to move on to Enemy Within.

Well yeah, like I sold my copy of Enemy Unknown when I got Enemy Within. It was the Vanilla, all the DLC and then the new stuff all in a happy bundle. The new missions/story take place alongside the Vanilla mission/story. They are parallel, not sequential.

Sorry, just for clarities sake, the Steam/PC verison requires the Original. The Consoles re-sold Enemy Within as a different boxed game. Either way, playing Enemy Unknown content is during the same time period as the mani game so no reason NOT to own it.
    XCOM: Enemy Within is an expansion pack for the turn-based military alien invasion strategy wargaming simulator XCOM: Enemy Unknown. The Windows and OS X editions require XCOM: Enemy Unknown to play; Enemy Within was released for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 as part of the Commander Edition bundled with Enemy Unknown. The iOS and Android versions were released as stand-alone apps not requiring the original mobile port of Enemy Unknown to play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

My humble suggestion - a bit different from what people here are saying, but Ground Control?:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/254820/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,378 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

looking for the above, can anyone recommend something?

Last good one I remember was "Commandos" spending hour to complete a mission? Anything similar out recently and decent graphics?
    Try out the Combat Mission series of games. It's turn-based rather than RTS and allows to command a whole pile of different units like men, tanks, artillery. Nothing more satisfy than identifying a narrow bottleneck in a map, deploying your troops there in hiding and then waiting until the last minute as the enemy tanks hit your minefield while your bazooka men pop out from the trees, annihilating an entire column of enemy tanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Aimead

Loved Commando’s, but it became too easy to exploit the brain-dead AI sometimes. Take the example of a patrol that has a fixed route. Simply set your bear trap and, when the alarm dies down, repeat. The alarm doesn’t go off on subsequent killings, making it fairly simple to clear out whole sections of the map.

Any of the suggestions given in this thread avoid this issue?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Give men of war 2 a look in too :pac:

Well yeah, like I sold my copy of Enemy Unknown when I got Enemy Within. It was the Vanilla, all the DLC and then the new stuff all in a happy bundle. The new missions/story take place alongside the Vanilla mission/story. They are parallel, not sequential.

Sorry, just for clarities sake, the Steam/PC verison requires the Original. The Consoles re-sold Enemy Within as a different boxed game. Either way, playing Enemy Unknown content is during the same time period as the mani game so no reason NOT to own it.

Ahh. Balls. I'm too far into it to restart the game.

• Advertisement

Ahh. Balls. I'm too far into it to restart the game.

You're going to be replaying anyway. Everyone knows it! :pac:
    Trying to get the perfect base from the start, all the DLC content, trying Harder Modes etc. Such a great game. Especially after a few months break and a return

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Finally went ahead and installed Company of Heroes after all the praise it's receiving here. Why did I wait so long? It's everything Dawn of War is and more. Will defiantly get the DLC and the second game

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

i didnt like the dlc for the first game, but the dlc/expansion (ardennes assault) for CoH2 is quality, the rest is fairly meh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

Any casual strategy games I could download on the iPad? I've played xcom, fantastic game, so anything similar for the iPad would be great if anyone knows of any game half decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Trying to get the perfect base from the start, all the DLC content, trying Harder Modes etc. Such a great game. Especially after a few months break and a return

Have you played the Long War mod for it? I've looked at it but not sure I have the time to dedicate to it or a wife understanding enough to let me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Any casual strategy games I could download on the iPad? I've played xcom, fantastic game, so anything similar for the iPad would be great if anyone knows of any game half decent.

Take a look at Frozen Synapse (YouTube vids or whatever). It's not similar in terms of visuals etc, nor is it to everyone's tastes. It is however beautifully refined tactical planning that can be played when suits you. Personally, I loved it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

http://www.gog.com/promo/weekend_promo_stratagems_310715

gog are having a strategy game sale atm

men of war: vietnam looks kinda like what OP is after

oh there are actually a **** load of men of war games there

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

strelok wrote: »
    http://www.gog.com/promo/weekend_promo_stratagems_310715

gog are having a strategy game sale atm

men of war: vietnam looks kinda like what OP is after

oh there are actually a **** load of men of war games there

Thats what i recommended

In lost a squad member last night, was tough, he was with me since the beginning, max rank, best gear, tough fecker. Got killed by enemy overwatch :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭the incredible pudding

Frozen synapse is an amazing strategy game. The learning curve is a little bit steep but the pay off is really worth it. Both teams give orders to their units and then they're acted out in real time. It's a fantastic idea that's very nicely realised.

• Advertisement

I just completed "operation devils fear" in Xcom. F*ck that was tough as hell!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I just completed "operation devils fear" in Xcom. F*ck that was tough as hell!!!

They're all randomised aside from like 5 :pac:

Have you played the Long War mod for it? I've looked at it but not sure I have the time to dedicate to it or a wife understanding enough to let me.

Nope, I actually think the game is well paced. And I rarely use Mods for games like this genre (Same with Civ or Total War)
    In lost a squad member last night, was tough, he was with me since the beginning, max rank, best gear, tough fecker. Got killed by enemy overwatch :(

Yeah, this is why I save/load and don't bother with Iron Man etc :pac:

They're all randomised aside from like 5 :pac:

One of the worst random maps...

Crashed ufo cargo ship. Squad enters ships,
    16 aliens have spawned in the room. Was madness and a blood bath. Had to run back and shoot each turn. Entire squad ended up wounded for 7 days after.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭_Puma_

i didnt like the dlc for the first game, but the dlc/expansion (ardennes assault) for CoH2 is quality, the rest is fairly meh

Online CoH2 is where it is at. The Campaigns and Theatre of war are good but wouldn't be as enjoyable as the first games campaign. Clocked up 360 hours last I checked on steam for COH2 and it really is my go to game for a bit of competitive gaming. coh2.org and twitch to get a taste of it. Not for the feint hearted but if you were into Warcraft 3 or Starcraft back in the day it would be up your alley.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,304 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

this weeks mobile bundle has some good strat games for a €1
    https://www.humblebundle.com/mobile

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭thebeerbaron

For RTS strategy it has to be Wargame Airland Battle. Totally brilliant. Real tactics and out smarting your opponent required!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Canaryblue

IvoryTower wrote: »
    rome total war, the total war series is great

roll on warhammer

Little off topic to be bringing this up now, but I used to love Rome total war. What other games out there like it are there? Does the Civilization series compare as well?

Canaryblue wrote: »
    Little off topic to be bringing this up now, but I used to love Rome total war. What other games out there like it are there? Does the Civilization series compare as well?

Shogun Total War 2 is a much better experience by all accounts

Civ 5 with the main 2 expansions is great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭thebeerbaron

Dont get the new Rome Total war, its a disaster.

Advertisement