Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A good strategy game?

Options
  • 29-07-2015 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭

looking for the above, can anyone recommend something?

Last good one I remember was "Commandos" spending hour to complete a mission? Anything similar out recently and decent graphics?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

X-Com Enemy Within / Unknown
    Jagged Alliance 2 Gold with the Main Gun Mod

/thread :P

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Yemowt

If you are looking for a WWII type one that you can basically take over the world if you make your country/alliance big enough, Making History The Calm And The Storm.

You can go through the WWII era but instead of the allies versus the axis, some weird things can occur.

I have had Britain declare war on the US and several other strange things.

If you want a slightly more complex game I would go for Hearts of Iron 3.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Company of hero's

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Omikron1

If you liked Commandos, they came out with with 3 sequels. Commandos 2 is good, 3 was ok and never got around to 4, I don't think it's thought too highly of though. Desperados and it's sequel are good and they're the same type of gameplay as Commandos but with a wild west theme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Company of Heroes is an incredible game. You would not think it's an almost 9 year old game, I still play it regularly. The action is just fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭howyegettinon1

Omikron1 wrote: »
    If you liked Commandos, they came out with with 3 sequels. Commandos 2 is good, 3 was ok and never got around to 4, I don't think it's thought too highly of though. Desperados and it's sequel are good and they're the same type of gameplay as Commandos but with a wild west theme.

yeah i think I played all but the 4th. I was about 10/11 when I played them though and haven't since but remember it as a great game.

Must try out a few of the above

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭howyegettinon1

Company of Hero's looks pretty good I must say! From a quick glace a good bit of action to keep it entertaining too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Cormac... wrote: »
    X-Com Enemy Within / Unknown
    Jagged Alliance 2 Gold with the Main Gun Mod

/thread :P

This!!!! X-Com unknown is class.

Also give Wasteland 2 a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

I recommend X-Com. It's a turn based strategy game. You control a small unit of soldiers on the battlefield, fighting against aliens who are landing on earth. Each soldier has different abilities and loadouts and you are allowed two moves per unit before the aliens have their turn.

Each mission lasts about 20 minutes or so. Great strategic gameplay. Graphics are not fantastic - the game is fairly old at this stage but there's a sequel coming soon.

Another strategic element to the game is what you do when you get back to your base. Managing base layout, hiring and promoting soldiers, researching weapons etc. You gather resources on the battlefield then spend them back at your base.

I've put in about 50 hours over the last month and I'm really enjoying it.

Best way I have of putting it is:
    Company of Heros is Commandos but Faster/More Units and more RTS like
    X-Com is like Commandos but Slower/Smaller Squad and Turn Based.

It all depends on if you wish Commandos was a bit faster, or a bit slower really :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Be advised, when you loose a squad member in X-Com it hurts :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

rome total war, the total war series is great

roll on warhammer

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

XCOM XCOM XCOM

And Civ V
    Hearts of Iron III

IvoryTower wrote: »
    rome total war, the total war series is great

roll on warhammer
    And Civ V

While these are both GREAT strategy games, they are really worlds apart from Commandos, Apples and Pears really.

I'd be more inclined to recumbent Myth: The Fallen Lords over those cause of the game type :P

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,143 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

yeah i think I played all but the 4th. I was about 10/11 when I played them though and haven't since but remember it as a great game.

Must try out a few of the above

The commando games are on steam now if you fancy a trip down memory lane.

forgot all about myth, some game!

IvoryTower wrote: »
    forgot all about myth, some game!

Stop the lights.... wish it was given a bit of Kickstarter Polish and redone

1 was great, 2 was good.... 3 I don't remember enjoying 1/2 as much.

The Lore / Story was brilliant though. Totally surpassed a LOT of Fantasy Fiction and I'm a BIG fantasy Fiction head

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

+1 XCOM , So much fun .

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Must replay Company of Heros! Such a good game... Is there any plans of a new version?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

.ak wrote: »
    Must replay Company of Heros! Such a good game... Is there any plans of a new version?

they did release company of heroes 2...

also i can't believe no one mentioned world in conflict

shame on you all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Yeh never played the 2nd one, and looks like a new expansion is coming out for it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

me either actually. i was all hyped for it and then just... didn't bother

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Valkyria Chronicles is excellent and plays a bit like XCom. Don't be put off the anime visuals (which I think looks gorgeous) it's a great strategy game.

Men of war if you want something hardcore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

.ak wrote: »
    Yeh never played the 2nd one, and looks like a new expansion is coming out for it!

COH2 is good but just not as good as the first game was relative to the time, it's better now with the expansions though. There's the Western Front Armies add-on, the new Ardennes campaign, and the British army add-on is coming out soon.

One thing about the game though is that it's really hardware intensive when the game gets going.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,304 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

strelok wrote: »
    also i can't believe no one mentioned world in conflict

shame on you all

I was going to mention it but he was looking for more of a strategy rather than an RTS game

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Having a lot of fun with Massive Chalice at the moment, which channels a medieval X-Com.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

Having a lot of fun with Massive Chalice at the moment, which channels a medieval X-Com.

That sounds really cool! I'll check that out tonight.

Really want to go back and Play Myth The Fallen Lords now :/

• Advertisement

played warhammer shadow of horned rat earlier. it didnt hold up well at all. Myth doesn't seem to be available on steam or gog

Advertisement