Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rallying around a rapist

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Disgusting....those people are just as guilty and dangerous as him tbh.

If they support him like this then they must not see any wrong in what he did and that to my mind makes them dangerous to children too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

It's says more about the stupidity and naivety of the people that signed the petition supporting him imo. I guarantee if it was their sister /daughter that he was convicted of raping they wouldn't be so quick to support him.

I'm baffled as to how people could support him especially the ex girlfriends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

I suppose the petition was signed before the conviction by those who believed that he is innocent? A very strange thing to do though.

The community has since rallied to support him with 43 signatures submitted to the court extending their support to him. The local football club, his former employers and girlfriend also submitted testimonies.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

That clown writing a letter saying there's no justice?? She's right, there is no justice when a paedophile gets his life back after 9 years, when he's destroyed two lives forever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭VisibleGorilla

If they support him like this then they must not see any wrong in what he did and that to my mind makes them dangerous to children too.
    Your post is stupid beyond belief.

Guilty by association, eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Tommy Kelly

I think to some people or this lot that just because this lad was able to kick a football around a field on a Sunday morning and was able to do a bit of work says he couldn't possibly be a rapist. ''Cause he's just like us a proper jack the lad, tis' not possible your honor. Free him and free him now''

Terrible too.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, those recommendations would have all been gathered before the trial. If you think about it; someone you know and think very highly of has been accused of this kind of thing, you think there's no way it can be true, he's a decent guy, etc etc, so you happily sign the letter of support.

This is kind of the point of character witnesses too though I suppose - to gather peoples' honest feelings about the person before it's tainted by a guilty verdict.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,148 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

They aren't just associated with him though, they are actively supporting him despite him being a convicted child rapist. They obviously think his crimes aren't that bad and he should be treated more leniently than others. Even his girlfriend who has an 8 year old child ffs. Is it a coincidence he ended up with another woman with a young child? Highly doubtful. That woman needs to evaluate her priorities, how stupid can you be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Well when people don't see anything wrong with sexually assaulting a child, and full on raping another younger child, you'd wonder why that is. Attacking and abusing anyone in a vulnerable position is clearly wrong and anyone capable of such a thing is a danger to society. So, when 50 or so clowns petition the court to free th rapist, and wail about there being no justice in the world, clearly think that it's justified to rape a child

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Playing devils advocate, I suspect many of those people will have since changed their minds once evidence of his crimes became known. They, naively, signed the petition before the case started on the basis that he proclaimed his innocence and probably did do the good things mentioned. If they were all contacted now and asked if they still hold the same belief, I'd say most if not them all would have changed their minds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Playing devils advocate, I suspect many of those people will have since changed their minds once evidence of his crimes became known. They, naively, signed the petition before the case started on the basis that he proclaimed his innocence and probably did do the good things mentioned. If they were all contacted now and asked if they still hold the same belief, I'd say most if not them all would have changed their minds.

I reckon you are right.
    The 'When' is the important part of this.

But at the same time, if someone asked me to sign a petition for the local community star who, according to the person with the petition, was completely innocent and wrongly accused of child rape....I would tell them to jog on.
    And it is not like that case a few years ago where they locals lined up to shake the hand of a man just after he was convicted of rape 'to show our support'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Hhmmm.

In fairness, this is not something we see all the time. I know there has been the odd time that some despicable person has had the support of their community and been given glowing character references which they in no way deserved etc but this does seem to be at a level of support I don't think I have ever seen the like of before. It certainly appears, rightly or wrongly (it appears wrongly) that these people in no way felt that the man could possibly be guilty of what he was accused of and that in fact, the accusations leveled at him were lies. Any rapist (particularly, child rapist) I have ever heard of in Dublin has almost immediately been shunned by their local community, to say the very least, long before going on trial. What gave these people such confidence he was innocent. Well, whatever it was, hopefully they were wrong about it and the court was right.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,093 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Of course, this is complete rubbish.

Isn't it just character references to say that he was a hard worker and a good team player on the football pitch? If those things are true then they should be part of the process.

If the guy is a danger to children, then children should be protected from him. If he's a danger to adults, then adults should be protected from him. It looks as if he's a danger to children and not to adults which provides more information on how to spend resources to protect those at risk.

Just because he was a hard worker doesn't mean he should be found innocent but if it's true then why complain about people saying it?

In this case yes, they are sympathising with him and rallying around him.

They clearly either care nothing for the poor child and/or see nothing wrong in what he did.

Of course, this is complete rubbish.

Isn't it just character references to say that he was a hard worker and a good team player on the football pitch? If those things are true then they should be part of the process.

If the guy is a danger to children, then children should be protected from him. If he's a danger to adults, then adults should be protected from him. It looks as if he's a danger to children and not to adults which provides more information on how to spend resources to protect those at risk.

Just because he was a hard worker doesn't mean he should be found innocent but if it's true then why complain about people saying it?

I'm not complaining about that, they can say what they like about him, it won't change what he is.

I'm complaining about seemingly rational right thinking people sympathising with and supporting a child molester.

In this case yes, they are sympathising with him and rallying around him.

They clearly either care nothing for the poor child and/or see nothing wrong in what he did.
    So if my friend commits a crime and I choose to remain friends with him, I have committed the same crime? I should be hauled in front of the courts too?

Complete lunacy. You're working of emotion instead of logic due to the crime committed.

About as stupid as a anyone who thinks supporters of a rapist are as guilty as a rapist.

What else can be said about people who sympathise with such a person?

So if my friend commits a crime and I choose to remain friends with him, I have committed the same crime? I should be hauled in front of the courts too?

Complete lunacy. You're working of emotion instead of logic due to the crime committed.

No but I would see it as you agreeing with what he did. And to me that makes you just as bad ....but that's my own personal opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Vomit

What I find slightly more disturbing than this is the lynch mob mentality you see here on boards when cases like this pop up. People instinctively defending a friend is much less scary than a group of faceless people saying, "String him up by his balls and torture him to death!"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Do you really believe that the basis of a group of people supporting a man to this degree could possibly be because they either a) don't give a monkies about the two girls or b) see nothing wrong with raping children in general? You genuinely believe that's probable? Come on. Child rape is (rightly) seen as one of those abhorrent crimes there is today. I have no doubt in my mind that these people felt that the man was innocent of these crimes. Appears they were wrong, fair enough, but lets not pretend that Irish society in this day and age (even a small section of it) could be blasé about the rape of two little girls.

That they didn't believe the accusations for whatever reason? Do you really think that a group of people in Dublin would support a man who has raped two little girls knowing him to be guilty and not caring about that? Or even doing so but yet suspecting that he might be guilty? Cause I don't. Not that many people anyway. We do not know why they found the accusations so hard to believe. Maybe he's very charismatic guy and it seemed beyond him, or maybe there are other reasons for that support, that we know nothing of, but either way, that's the long and short of it and as someone has pointed out, perhaps those people now regret supporting him and are hanging their heads in shame. Perhaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

I see the facts of the issue can be conveniently forgotten in the haste to become outraged.

There's a presumption of innocence in this country until actually convicted of a crime.
    None of these people rallied around a rapist - they rallied around a still innocent man charged with an offense.

Doubt there's too much rallying around him now - but why let the facts get in the way of a good old rant?

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tigerboon

Why would anyone chose to remain friends with a child rapist? We're not talking about just any crime here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

No but I would see it as you agreeing with what he did. And to me that makes you just as bad ....but that's my own personal opinion.
    And this folks is why we really don't need uninformed mob rule in a society. Feelz matter more than thought. Ironically it's as bad as those supporting him. If not worse actually as it seems the support came before the guilt was established. That's a natural human response to an accusation of someone that's well regarded within a group. I'll bet the farm that the majority if not all would retract their support now he's been found to be a child molesting scumbag. Yet some like above think they agree that child rape is OK. Jesus.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Vomit wrote: »
    What I find slightly more disturbing than this is the lynch mob mentality you see here on boards when cases like this pop up. People instinctively defending a friend is much less scary than a group of faceless people saying, "String him up by his balls and torture him to death!"

If I was asked to defend or speak up for someone even accused of such crimes I would no longer consider them my friend!

As soon as I found out they were suspected of such a crime the friendship would end!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

foggy_lad wrote: »
    If I was asked to defend or speak up for someone even accused of such crimes I would no longer consider them my friend!

As soon as I found out they were suspected of such a crime the friendship would end!
    Jesus. Part Deux. Are you serious? Have you never heard of wrongful accusation? Mistaken identity, miscarriages of justice? So in your mind being charged with a crime is enough? Or is it only the emotive stuff that overrides your logic?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

And if they were later cleared of all charges?

The very definition of a fair-weather friend - i.e. no friend at all.

Are you serious?!

Wow!

These days it really is guilty until you can prove your innocence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭FactCheck

I see the facts of the issue can be conveniently forgotten in the haste to become outraged.

There's a presumption of innocence in this country until actually convicted of a crime.
    None of these people rallied around a rapist - they rallied around a still innocent man charged with an offense.

Doubt there's too much rallying around him now - but why let the facts get in the way of a good old rant?
    Wibbs wrote: »
    And this folks is why we really don't need uninformed mob rule in a society. Feelz matter more than thought. Ironically it's as bad as those supporting him. If not worse actually as it seems the support came before the guilt was established. That's a natural human response to an accusation of someone that's well regarded within a group. I'll bet the farm that the majority if not all would retract their support now he's been found to be a child molesting scumbag. Yet some like above think they agree that child rape is OK. Jesus.

It's very kind of you both to give the benefit of the doubt to the mob in court, but I'm afraid you're both quite wrong. Character references are taken by the court after conviction (what would be the point of doing so before? What a waste of time). The article also makes clear that the "petition" was gathered since the conviction which occurred earlier this month.

These people have chosen to rally around a convicted child rapist. Now, I have no doubt they firmly believe his testimony that he woke up to find the child in question having sex with him. Much like Danny Foley's supporters in Listowel decided that the CCTV evidence and the eyewitness testimony from two Gardai was outweighed by his insistence that his unconscious victim was coming on to him.

Those people all believed that, and they were all very deeply stupid people. I can see where posters are coming from in believing that there's a point at which that deep stupidity crosses into actual wickedness. I don't personally have an opinion on where that is, I can't see into their hearts. I only know that what they've chosen to do is contrary to all evidence, good sense, and decency.

The sad thing is that in this country we have a well-established cultural tradition of overlooking abuse if committed by someone we like and respect. We like to tell ourselves we're past all that, but you don't put such a deep societal sickness to bed so quickly or so easily.

• Advertisement

Are you serious?!

Wow!

These days it really is guilty until you can prove your innocence.

But he is guilty....he's been convicted. That's where the problem lies.

Advertisement