Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf at the Olympics

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Raisins wrote: »
    If he had any class and could see beyond anything other than pure self interest he'd wish Harrington and Seamus Power well.

I doubt he wishes them any ill.
    But surely that those two names you mention are in the field for something aspiring to be top of the pile event, says it all.
    Most are thinking it, but few are saying it. They play the 'Zika' card instead of calling out for the non-even that it is to most people. So indeed fair play to Rors for being man enough to say what most are thinking. Sure, it does matter to a few. To some, the Olympics does count for something. But they need to accept that to most, it is a joke, and for golf in it, there really just isnt widespread interest. To many top players, it is just a chore that they have no responsibility to play in, and avoiding it, without offending too many, is their goal. Rory is big enough to be able to indulge in a little honesty.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

McIlroy didn't even mention Seamus Power or any other golfer yesterday so I can't for the life of me see how he's supposed to have insulted or aimed a dig at them. I'm sure he wishes Seamus Power well and it'd have probably been a nice PR exercise for him to have said it, but then these press conference golf things are fairly frantic affairs, with questions coming from all angles, so in a sense he was just speaking off the hoof. But I don't get how him saying "stuff that matters" to him is by extension aiming a dig at other Irish golfers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,907 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Has power done enough to qualify?

Edit... Just found it. He is in at 52

http://www.igfgolf.org/olympic-games/qualification-system/ogr-men/

Seve OB wrote: »
    Has power done enough to qualify?

He's 52 out of the 60 to qualify so I think he's nailed on for certain. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I think he's a cert anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

slave1 wrote: »
    Poor comments from Rory, think he should have just pulled out a long time ago and be done with it, he does not deserve to represent Ireland next time around

I imagine everyone - bar Scott - has felt the need to tow the party line. Few, it would seem, are genuinely engaged by Olympic golf. Rory finally took the opportunity to say what was on his mind. Zika was always a convenient excuse.

As is evident from the poll, most viewers want to see amateurs play. Perhaps a lot of the Pros feel the same way. After all, it's not as if a) they don't have a busy enough schedule and b) there was a specific qualification process

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

McIlroy didn't even mention Seamus Power or any other golfer yesterday so I can't for the life of me see how he's supposed to have insulted or aimed a dig at them. I'm sure he wishes Seamus Power well and it'd have probably been a nice PR exercise for him to have said it, but then these press conference golf things are fairly frantic affairs, with questions coming from all angles, so in a sense he was just speaking off the hoof. But I don't get how him saying "stuff that matters" to him is by extension aiming a dig at other Irish golfers.

Because he wasn't satisfied saying it doesn't matter to him and he went on to say he wouldn't watch it even if he could because he'd watch other sports events that matter. That's an obvious dig to the players who are going and the value placed on what they're trying to achieve.

He has done a huge amount for charity on the island and he's rescued the Irish open single handedly. He's not even finished yet either it seems he works a lot on it growing even bigger behind the scenes. The way in which he's gone about the whole affair with the Olympics just leaves a bad taste. In fairness a lot of the Olympic athletes who are there are not there because they want to represent their country, they're there because the Olympics is the biggest event in their sports. It's what they need to win for personal glory and for money from endorsements. Take that away and maybe none of them would be there either.

Because he wasn't satisfied saying it doesn't matter to him and he went on to say he wouldn't watch it even if he could because he'd watch other sports events that matter. That's an obvious dig to the players who are going and the value placed on what they're trying to achieve.

He has done a huge amount for charity on the island and he's rescued the Irish open single handedly. He's not even finished yet either it seems he works a lot on it growing even bigger behind the scenes. The way in which he's gone about the whole affair with the Olympics just leaves a bad taste. In fairness a lot of the Olympic athletes who are there are not there because they want to represent their country, they're there because the Olympics is the biggest event in their sports. It's what they need to win for personal glory and for money from endorsements. Take that away and maybe none of them would be there either.

I suppose its entirely possible Harrington & McGinley might have felt belittled by McIlroy's words and how he's handled the whole thing, but I'm just not willing to be offended on their behalf. And Power is only getting his chance because of Rory and the other Olympic refuseniks, so I'm guessing he'd take any perceived slight in his stride.

I agree, and have agreed, that the interview was a bit impertinent, but I can't see that any insult was intended. His ire, if that's what it was, was directed at the reality of golf at the olympics, he is basically saying he wouldn't watch the golf no matter who was playing, it's nothing personal against those who are actually participating. If the players take that as an insult by extension, then I don't think that is Rory's problem. That's my take on it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Martin567

I'll give Rory the benefit of still being young and a bit immature but he really does need to cop on a bit and stop causing trouble for himself so often. He sometimes comes across as very brash and needlessly insulting whether he means to be or not.

A lot of top golfers are very bland when being interviewed but there is a happy medium between being bland and what Rory often does. Padraig Harrington, Shane Lowry & Phil Mickelson are all very interesting interviewees without ever getting themselves into the positions Rory sometimes does. People commend his honesty but imagine what life would be like if everyone was entirely honest at all times. Tact and cop-on exist for a reason. Try telling your work colleagues or bosses you think they're incompetent idiots and see how many people commend your honesty. That is an extreme example but my point is that honesty is not always a good thing.

It would have been possible for Rory to withdraw without saying any of these things. Nicklaus, Woods, Harrington, Mickelson and others all campaigned for golf to be at the Olympics. They obviously believe it is for the benefit of the sport as a whole. Rory may disagree but there's no need to dismissively say it doesn't matter when some of the people he plays against every week and many of the greats of the past clearly believe it does.

Rory did something similar a few years back when he reacted to some tv criticism from Jay Townsend by saying he wasn't interested in the opinions of a failed professional. Some people again praised his honesty. They didn't appear to recognise that most golf commentators in the media could be classified as failed professionals as could his coach, Michael Bannon. How did they all feel about that, wondering if Rory really had such contempt for everyone not at his own level?

All very well to talk about tact and diplomacy but forgetting that when McIlroy actually tried that by hiding behind the Zika excuse, he was fairly ridiculed in a lot of places unlike, as has been pointed out here and elsewhere, Lowry and others. So is that entirely his fault? Maybe he should just have accepted the ridicule and cut his losses (as Spieth seems happy to do in order to keep himself nicely primed for 2020 when he'll be able to travel to a first world country), but yeah, he's not as PR savvy as some of his peers and that divides opinion clearly. I don't think he's bland or boring anyway.

The Jay Townsend thing was a storm in a teacup. McIlroy shouldn't have reacted but Townsend had a go at his caddie and I think that's what he reacted against, he took it personally. To some degree I believe he was justified in doing so, but I don't think it's all that relevant to the Olympic business anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Martin567

The Jay Townsend thing was a storm in a teacup. McIlroy shouldn't have reacted but Townsend had a go at his caddie and I think that's what he reacted against, he took it personally. To some degree I believe he was justified in doing so, but I don't think it's all that relevant to the Olympic business anyway.

It's more a trend of Rory speaking without engaging his brain and saying some very silly things. There are several other examples but there's no need to drag them all up.

I know what Townsend said and he was too harsh. Rory would have been wiser to say nothing but, as you say, he may have been somewhat justified. The problem was referring to "a failed professional" which could obviously insult many more than his intended target, including some people close to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

I suppose its entirely possible Harrington & McGinley might have felt belittled by McIlroy's words and how he's handled the whole thing, but I'm just not willing to be offended on their behalf. And Power is only getting his chance because of Rory and the other Olympic refuseniks, so I'm guessing he'd take any perceived slight in his stride.

I agree, and have agreed, that the interview was a bit impertinent, but I can't see that any insult was intended. His ire, if that's what it was, was directed at the reality of golf at the olympics, he is basically saying he wouldn't watch the golf no matter who was playing, it's nothing personal against those who are actually participating. If the players take that as an insult by extension, then I don't think that is Rory's problem. That's my take on it anyway.

I see your point and you're entitled to be that generous if you want to be but I don't agree. He dismissed the whole event and was leading the back page of every sports paper in the uk. He reminded me of loads of arrogant players you either play with or coach in lots of sports who decide they're too good to play on a particular team or do a particular drill. Not only did he say this isn't worth it for me or I'm too good for this and walk off the pitch with good grace but he also had to complete the circle by saying this event is a complete waste of time full stop. I'm sure you're right Harrington and Power may well be laughing away on the plane to Rio, not at all offended, but McIroy made a fool of himself.

Martin567 wrote: »
    It's more a trend of Rory speaking without engaging his brain and saying some very silly things. There are several other examples but there's no need to drag them all up.

I know what Townsend said and he was too harsh. Rory would have been wiser to say nothing but, as you say, he may have been somewhat justified. The problem was referring to "a failed professional" which could obviously insult many more than his intended target, including some people close to him.

I think that's correct. I've always thought he could do with better advice sometimes or maybe, as some people suggest, he should insist on being bland and say nothing all the time. Shut up shop like Tiger did when he first came along, wrap himself tightly in a corporate blanket and basically eschew all unnecessary human contact. I actually think somewhere along the way McIlroy took a conscious decision, for better or worse, not to go down that path, he wants to have at least the semblance of a normal life and that occasionally leads him into trouble. If he actually took that Tiger route, he'd likely be more unpopular than he already is!

I see your point and you're entitled to be that generous if you want to be but I don't agree. He dismissed the whole event and was leading the back page of every sports paper in the uk. He reminded me of loads of arrogant players you either play with or coach in lots of sports who decide they're too good to play on a particular team or do a particular drill. Not only did he say this isn't worth it for me or I'm too good for this and walk off the pitch with good grace but he also had to complete the circle by saying this event is a complete waste of time full stop. I'm sure you're right Harrington and Power may well be laughing away on the plane to Rio, not at all offended, but McIroy made a fool of himself.

I am inclined to be generous alright, maybe to a fault. I don't interpret what he said as harshly as you do. It's possible these guys are actually arguing for the integrity of the Olympics, as much as they are being selfish. That's Zach Johnson's argument and I think that's what McIlroy was trying to articulate but the bit of needle just made it come out the wrong way. That's how i see it.

As for guys making fools of themselves, I think Spieth did so far more than McIlroy. Check out Spieth's interview. He tried to stick to the Zika line, then when the reporters challenged him, he plucked out "some other health issues" line and wouldn't expand on it and basically kept digging himself into a hole. Of course, he's still mad about golf at the Olympics and can't wait for 2020 laugh out loud.

Anyway, nobody really seems to care about Spieth here or any of the others. Only McIlroy. Which might be the most interesting thing when you think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭Russman

I'm inclined to think fair play to him for finally saying it. Pro golf has no place in the Olympics IMHO, purely because it will never be more important than the four majors. Same reason tennis or soccer or pro basketball shouldn't be there.
    That being said, he probably shouldn't have slipped it in at the end of the sentence in the slightly snarky way he did. But I'd imagine he's probably well p1$$ed off with the whole illusion at this stage. I mean, he went with the zika excuse like a lot of them did, and nobody buys it, then he tells it almost like it is and people are still upset. Its like people are permanently waiting for something to be offended about. Imagine the uproar if he'd originally gone with the Adam Scott "scheduling" excuse, the internet commentators would have been apoplectic with rage.

Give me his relative openness and sometimes cutting remarks over the Tiger "blandness and talk but say nothing" approach any day of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Russman wrote: »
    I'm inclined to think fair play to him for finally saying it. Pro golf has no place in the Olympics IMHO, purely because it will never be more important than the four majors. Same reason tennis or soccer or pro basketball shouldn't be there.
    That being said, he probably shouldn't have slipped it in at the end of the sentence in the slightly snarky way he did. But I'd imagine he's probably well p1$$ed off with the whole illusion at this stage. I mean, he went with the zika excuse like a lot of them did, and nobody buys it, then he tells it almost like it is and people are still upset. Its like people are permanently waiting for something to be offended about. Imagine the uproar if he'd originally gone with the Adam Scott "scheduling" excuse, the internet commentators would have been apoplectic with rage.

Give me his relative openness and sometimes cutting remarks over the Tiger "blandness and talk but say nothing" approach any day of the week.

Again, why should Pro basketball not be in the Games when it is seen as the greatest prize in international basketball? When playing for your country there is no bigger title to win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Again, why should Pro basketball not be in the Games when it is seen as the greatest prize in international basketball? When playing for your country there is no bigger title to win.

It may well be the greatest prize in international basketball.....but that doesn't make it the greatest prize in the sport of basketball.

I'd imagine winning the NBA Championship is a greater accolade and getting an MVP in the finals or in the All Star Game represents a greater accolade.

Here's Michael Jordan's listed career highlights (from Wikipedia).....
    • 6× NBA champion (1991–1993, 1996–1998)
    • 6× NBA Finals MVP (1991–1993, 1996–1998)
    • 5× NBA Most Valuable Player (1988, 1991, 1992, 1996, 1998)
    • 14× NBA All-Star (1985–1993, 1996–1998, 2002, 2003)
    • 3× NBA All-Star Game MVP (1988, 1996, 1998)
    • 10× All-NBA First Team (1987–1993, 1996–1998)
    • All-NBA Second Team (1985)
    • NBA Defensive Player of the Year (1988)
    • 9× NBA All-Defensive First Team (1988–1993, 1996–1998)
    • NBA Rookie of the Year (1985)
    • 10× NBA scoring champion (1987–1993, 1996–1998)
    • 3× NBA steals leader (1988, 1990, 1993)
    • 2× NBA Slam Dunk Contest champion (1987, 1988)
    • NBA playoffs all-time leading scorer
    • Chicago Bulls all-time leading scorer
    • No. 23 retired by Chicago Bulls
    • No. 23 retired by Miami Heat
    • 3× AP Athlete of the Year (1991, 1992, 1993)
    • 2× USA Basketball Male Athlete of the Year (1983, 1984)
    • NBA's 50th Anniversary All-Time Team
    • NCAA champion (1982)
    • 2× Consensus first-team All-American (1983, 1984)
    • National college player of the year (1984)
    • ACC Player of the Year (1984)
    • No. 23 retired by the University of North Carolina

....no mention of the Olympics or the medals he won there as a pro and amateur

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭Russman

Is it really seen as the greatest prize though ? I'm not convinced, to be honest I've no idea. Perhaps for players from smaller countries, but I suspect for the NBA superstars from the states they'd rather a NBA championship than an Olympic medal - I could be wrong. Since the Dream Team era, all it is is shooting practice for the US team really.

But basketball aside, Olympic golf could potentially become the greatest prize in the amateur ranks if it were limited to just them, similar to boxing until they changed the rules a while ago. I reckon you'd have guys deferring turning pro until they play in a Games, similar to guys putting it off until the play Walker Cup. It might not get the TV audiences they IOC want though.

I think its interesting to hear Justin Rose' comments where he mentions he doesn't mind "giving something back" to the game - if that's how playing in the Olympics is viewed (ie almost a chore) then I think its pointless anyway. I bet he doesn't view playing in the Masters as giving something back to the game.

Jawgap wrote: »
    It may well be the greatest prize in international basketball.....but that doesn't make it the greatest prize in the sport of basketball.

I'd imagine winning the NBA Championship is a greater accolade and getting an MVP in the finals or in the All Star Game represents a greater accolade.

Here's Michael Jordan's listed career highlights (from Wikipedia).....
    • 6× NBA champion (1991–1993, 1996–1998)
    • 6× NBA Finals MVP (1991–1993, 1996–1998)
    • 5× NBA Most Valuable Player (1988, 1991, 1992, 1996, 1998)
    • 14× NBA All-Star (1985–1993, 1996–1998, 2002, 2003)
    • 3× NBA All-Star Game MVP (1988, 1996, 1998)
    • 10× All-NBA First Team (1987–1993, 1996–1998)
    • All-NBA Second Team (1985)
    • NBA Defensive Player of the Year (1988)
    • 9× NBA All-Defensive First Team (1988–1993, 1996–1998)
    • NBA Rookie of the Year (1985)
    • 10× NBA scoring champion (1987–1993, 1996–1998)
    • 3× NBA steals leader (1988, 1990, 1993)
    • 2× NBA Slam Dunk Contest champion (1987, 1988)
    • NBA playoffs all-time leading scorer
    • Chicago Bulls all-time leading scorer
    • No. 23 retired by Chicago Bulls
    • No. 23 retired by Miami Heat
    • 3× AP Athlete of the Year (1991, 1992, 1993)
    • 2× USA Basketball Male Athlete of the Year (1983, 1984)
    • NBA's 50th Anniversary All-Time Team
    • NCAA champion (1982)
    • 2× Consensus first-team All-American (1983, 1984)
    • National college player of the year (1984)
    • ACC Player of the Year (1984)
    • No. 23 retired by the University of North Carolina

....no mention of the Olympics or the medals he won there as a pro and amateur

There's more to basketball than the NBA. A lot more countries other than the USA (who make up the vast majority of all NBA players) play basketball. These people care about playing for their country and should not be denied the opportunity just because a few of the very biggest names in the NBA aren't arsed. There are Spanish players, Lithuanians etc who play in the NBA who love playing for their country.

It's the same in the NHL. The players love playing in the Winter Games, and winning for their country is rated up there with a Stanley Cup. It's the league itself that doesn't want them there as they have to stop the season for 2 weeks and they lose revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,882 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

That is because medals are shown in a different part of Wiki.

Jesus lads - are people seriously trying to undermine the Olympics.

Golf is a joke compared to the Olympics.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/30326825

The way people are genuinely going on here - they are like them lads who play in the same 4 ball at the same time every week on the same course - sure they are happy with their golf and sure that is all that matters.

Who cares about golf as a global game.

Russman wrote: »
    Is it really seen as the greatest prize though ? I'm not convinced, to be honest I've no idea. Perhaps for players from smaller countries, but I suspect for the NBA superstars from the states they'd rather a NBA championship than an Olympic medal - I could be wrong. Since the Dream Team era, all it is is shooting practice for the US team really.

But basketball aside, Olympic golf could potentially become the greatest prize in the amateur ranks if it were limited to just them, similar to boxing until they changed the rules a while ago. I reckon you'd have guys deferring turning pro until they play in a Games, similar to guys putting it off until the play Walker Cup. It might not get the TV audiences they IOC want though.

I think its interesting to hear Justin Rose' comments where he mentions he doesn't mind "giving something back" to the game - if that's how playing in the Olympics is viewed (ie almost a chore) then I think its pointless anyway. I bet he doesn't view playing in the Masters as giving something back to the game.

I said the greatest prize in INTERNATIONAL basketball. I didn't say all of basketball. Simply put, when representing your country, there is no greater prize in basketball than an Olympic gold. In the NBA you do not represent your country.

• Advertisement

There's more to basketball than the NBA. A lot more countries other than the USA (who make up the vast majority of all NBA players) play basketball. These people care about playing for their country and should not be denied the opportunity just because a few of the very biggest names in the NBA aren't arsed. There are Spanish players, Lithuanians etc who play in the NBA who love playing for their country.

It's the same in the NHL. The players love playing in the Winter Games, and winning for their country is rated up there with a Stanley Cup. It's the league itself that doesn't want them there as they have to stop the season for 2 weeks and they lose revenue.

Yes, there is and there's more to golf than the Majors, but the fact remains that when players take up a sport or progress at it they have certain aspirations - if it's basketball it's picking up a championship, if it's athletics its Olympic gold, if it's golf it's a Major.

Golf may well have a place in the Olympics, but that doesn't mean the Olympics are relevant to golf, nor does it mean that the best or better players will be drawn towards competing for an Olympic medal, unless in doing so it helps towards achieving their grander ambitions.

Also, golf is a game/sport, perhaps more than most, that is rooted in tradition and carries a huge awareness of its history - the Open was a third of a century old by the time the modern Olympics was established in 1894 - and it's arguable that a Yank coming over to the Open and winning is very much competing for the honour of his country and his Tour just as a non-Yank stepping out at the Masters, the US Open or the PGA is competing for theirs.

Golf fans are no doubt gracious enough to appreciate what it take to win a tournament, but there'll always be some small irritation at a Johnny Foreigner coming in and waltzing off with 'their' competition :)

That is because medals are shown in a different part of Wiki.

Jesus lads - are people seriously trying to undermine the Olympics.

Golf is a joke compared to the Olympics.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/30326825

The way people are genuinely going on here - they are like them lads who play in the same 4 ball at the same time every week on the same course - sure they are happy with their golf and sure that is all that matters.

Who cares about golf as a global game.

Yes, they are.......but not as part of the 'career highlights' bit.

I don't think anyone is trying to undermine the Olympics - just doubting it's universal relevance to sport. There are undoubtedly sports where it is the absolute pinnacle of achievement to walk off with an Olympic gold and others where it's not so.

Likewise, for some competing for your country, be it at running, golf, basketball or whatever, is a huge honour in and of itself, while for others it's a means to an end - if it wasn't there wouldn't be so many willing to adopt 'flags of convenience' to allow access to international competition.

Yes, they are.......but not as part of the 'career highlights' bit.

I don't think anyone is trying to undermine the Olympics - just doubting it's universal relevance to sport. There are undoubtedly sports where it is the absolute pinnacle of achievement to walk off with an Olympic gold and others where it's not so.

Likewise, for some competing for your country, be it at running, golf, basketball or whatever, is a huge honour in and of itself, while for others it's a means to an end - if it wasn't there wouldn't be so many willing to adopt 'flags of convenience' to allow access to international competition.

Regarding the whole growing the sport argument read the below from pages 120-123, to see the effect of having professional basketball in the Olympic Games has had worldwide, how the standards have risen, and how there are now far more foreigners in the NBA, as a direct result of opening up the Olympics to Pros in 1992.

https://books.google.ie/books?id=OgjHCgAAQBAJ&pg=PA121&lpg=PA121&dq=is+olympic+basketball+important&source=bl&ots=dla4xo1GmW&sig=2AH2-L8J9-N0Kps-CXQfANyourw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi1n4uN8vLNAhXKCsAKHYPDDL44ChDoAQhPMAc#v=onepage&q=is%20olympic%20basketball%20important&f=false

EDIT: Back in 1992, USA wiped the floor with everyone. In 2012 they beat Spain in the gold medal match 107-100!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Golf is non existent in Eastern Europe and Russia, all of Africa bar white South Africa, pretty much all of Asia except Japan and Korea, most of South and Central America excluding Argentina, Colombia and Mexico.

Golf is far from a global game. The Olympics would help grow the sport, but maybe like rugby people, golfers don't really care and are happy to keep it as a wealthy first world sport.
    Regarding the whole growing the sport argument read the below from pages 120-123, to see the effect of having professional basketball in the Olympic Games has had worldwide, how the standards have risen, and how there are now far more foreigners in the NBA, as a direct result of opening up the Olympics to Pros in 1992.

https://books.google.ie/books?id=OgjHCgAAQBAJ&pg=PA121&lpg=PA121&dq=is+olympic+basketball+important&source=bl&ots=dla4xo1GmW&sig=2AH2-L8J9-N0Kps-CXQfANyourw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi1n4uN8vLNAhXKCsAKHYPDDL44ChDoAQhPMAc#v=onepage&q=is%20olympic%20basketball%20important&f=false

Comparing golf and basketball in these terms is an utterly stupid argument. A basketball and two hoops is very inexpensive and can be easily put into any school in almost any country, even if they are impoverished. Two hoops and a basketball is enough to cater for hundreds of students. Golf is a completely different matter.

EDIT: Back in 1992, USA wiped the floor with everyone. In 2012 they beat Spain in the gold medal match 107-100!!

and the Argies ran them a point closer in the semis. So?

show me an elite player who rather have an Olympic gold in preference to an NBA championship.

As I said, lots of sports are relevant to the Olympics - but it isn't axiomatic that the Olympics are relevant to them - golf is one such sport.

Why not tweet Monty on Sky this evening and ask him if he'd rather win the Open this weekend or pick up gold in Rio ;)

show me an elite player who rather have an Olympic gold in preference to an NBA championship.

As I said, lots of sports are relevant to the Olympics - but it isn't axiomatic that the Olympics are relevant to them - golf is one such sport.

Why not tweet Monty on Sky this evening and ask him if he'd rather win the Open this weekend or pick up gold in Rio ;)

I'm sure there are plenty of footballers who would rather a champions league than a World Cup. Who cares. Domestic and international events are separate.

Funny you mention Monty:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/jul/06/colin-montgomerie-olympic-no-show-day-mcilroy-scott

Again, what's your point?

"Slightly older player with a view to a career in punditry in cranky discourse about golfers"?

Where does it say there that he'd happily trade even the opportunity to win a Major for the certainty of an Olympic gold?

I'm sure he'd be proud to play in the Olympics, but in the overall scheme of things would he (and Garcia) prefer a Major or a medal? The answer to that gives you some insight into how relevant the Olympics are to golf.

I'm sure there are plenty of footballers who would rather a champions league than a World Cup. Who cares. Domestic and international events are separate.

Champions League is domestic????

....and if international competition is so important in football, why is Messi retiring? (although he may yet change his mind)

• Advertisement

Again, what's your point?

"Slightly older player with a view to a career in punditry in cranky discourse about golfers"?

Where does it say there that he'd happily trade even the opportunity to win a Major the certainty of an Olympic gold?

I'm sure he'd be proud to play in the Olympics, but in the overall scheme of things would he (and Garcia) prefer a Major or a medal? The answer to that gives you some insight into how relevant the Olympics are to golf.

The same was said about tennis in 1988, and now it is considered the 5th major, part of the Golden Slam. It won't ever become the pinnacle of singles tennis but it arguably is the pinnacle now of doubles and mixed doubles. With proper format, golf could become the pinnacle of team golf. Stroke play needs to go for Tokyo.

Advertisement