Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most convincing non Irish actor in an Irish role.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,305 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

"Excellent! Stephen, is my name"

The accent might be off slightly, but he has the persona down to a T.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭nozipcode

Toni Collette - Glassland

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭trashcan

What about Kevin spacey in Ordinary Decent Criminal (least I think thats what it was called ) I don't really remember it been bad so it musta been ok....

God no. It's right down there with Tom Cruise in Far and Away. Horrendous.

Daniel Day Lewis in My Left Foot, Name of the Father and The Boxer nailed it I thought. Cate Blanchett was good in Veronica Guerin. I actually didn't think Brad Pitt was too bad in The Devils Own. But for someone who grew up in Ireland, Pierce Brosnan should hang his head in shame for Eibhlin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

What about Kevin spacey in Ordinary Decent Criminal (least I think thats what it was called ) I don't really remember it been bad so it musta been ok....

Dreadfull film.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭BofaDeezNuhtz

Bosco

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

MrWalsh wrote: »
    Yes, as a derogatory term.

The n word might also be used in movies but it doesn't mean we should be using it posting here!

Actually you're probably right having read back over it - initially I (mis)read it as 'Bradd Pitt played the pikey' (not a pikey). Funny the difference such a small work can make, eh!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

quickbeam wrote: »

McAvoy's missus, Anne-Marie Duff in The Magdelene Sisters was excellent too.

Kelly Macdonald (notoriously for her awful accent in Boardwalk Empire) did a great accent in Intermission.

Good call on Duff, I thought she was Irish for a long time, even when I saw her in Shameless I was thinking "fair play to her for picking up that accent"!!

MacDonald's accent is so grating in BE, it's even more annoying considering she damn near nailed it in Intermission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Another vote for Jon Voight in The General. Superb.

I always think it's more surprising when an American nails the Irish accent, as opposed to a Brit. The British have had Irish tv and radio personalities, neighbours, co-workers, even parents and other family members to listen to for decades... The Americans have the Lucky Charms leprechaun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Ben Schnetzer's northern accent in Pride was excellent. His real accent can be heard here.

Maggie Smith's accent in The Lonely Passion of Judith Hearne was flawless too.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,266 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Anthony Brophy as coco prunty in the run of the country nailed the long border drawl

Anthony Brophy is irish. Not from the border but still irish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭MattB11

Richard Gere got it spot on as an IRA leprechaun in the Jackal

MattB11 wrote: »
    Richard Gere got it spot on as an IRA leprechaun in the Jackal

No he diden't.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Aj Furlong

Dunno if it has been said but Paddy Considine in the move In America was pretty spot on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

I'm only half-joking here, but I nominate Ryan O'Neal as Barry Redmond in Barry Lyndon. Yes, his accent is dodgy, but because of it he seems to be an imposter even in his own country. I never bought into him as an Irishman but it all works in the context of his character.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭gungun

This is from Sons of Anarchy season 3 just as a heads up for anyone who hasn't seen it, and I know this is for good Irish accents, but I just have to post this, it's too bad to not see it.

Titus Welliver you absolute clown

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

I won't get carried away by this until I see Meryl Streep playing Peig.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,266 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I'm only half-joking here, but I nominate Ryan O'Neal as Barry Redmond in Barry Lyndon. Yes, his accent is dodgy, but because of it he seems to be an imposter even in his own country. I never bought into him as an Irishman but it all works in the context of his character.

i honestly cant remember what his accent is like in Barry Lyndon. I shall have to watch it again to confirm. how terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

gungun wrote: »
    Titus Welliver you absolute clown
    That actually made me stop watching the show, dead in it's tracks. And I really liked it up until that point, and would usually class that as a stupid reason to stop watching something... but oh my god, I don't think I've seen anything like that in a loooong time.

I don't know what was more annoying - the "all Irish people are cultist levels of religious" stereotypes, the horrific accents, the cringeworthy names (Jimmy O'Phelan? Aahhh sure yeah, he's good mates with Paddy O'McMurphy after all), or the "everyone speak US American!" dialogue. Because everyone up around Belfast refers to their missus as their "old lady" don't you know!

Really makes you wonder how inaccurate the rest of the show was too, in terms of how they represented different groups. Because that was even past "so bad it's funny" territory.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

That's almost as bad as Timothy V Murphy's Russian accent in True Detective. Almost.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

When I first saw In the Name of the Father, I was convinced Pete Postlethwaite was Irish, and that he was putting on accents in other films. This was in the days before Google.

I'd be a bit more forgiving towards American actors putting on the accent, as it's a little easier for Scottish or English actors. Brad Pitt was decent enough with the Cookstown twang in the Devil's Own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Aimeee

feargale wrote: »
    I won't get carried away by this until I see Meryl Streep playing Peig.
    Now that would be interesting. Meryl could pull it off I reckon. She can do anything.
    Long time since I've seen it now but i think her accent was ok in Dancing at Lughnasa? Don't know if mentioned already.
    Also, again long time since I've seen it, but how was Julia Roberts in Michael Colins?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Aimeee wrote: »
    Also, again long time since I've seen it, but how was Julia Roberts in Michael Colins?

Full on "Tooraloora Begorrah!"

Dire.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭baron von something

I remember quite enjoying Jim Broadbent's accent in Perriers Bounty. Or maybe I just liked the acting. One or the other

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Billy86 wrote: »
    That actually made me stop watching the show, dead in it's tracks. And I really liked it up until that point, and would usually class that as a stupid reason to stop watching something... but oh my god, I don't think I've seen anything like that in a loooong time.

I don't know what was more annoying - the "all Irish people are cultist levels of religious" stereotypes, the horrific accents, the cringeworthy names (Jimmy O'Phelan? Aahhh sure yeah, he's good mates with Paddy O'McMurphy after all), or the "everyone speak US American!" dialogue. Because everyone up around Belfast refers to their missus as their "old lady" don't you know!

Really makes you wonder how inaccurate the rest of the show was too, in terms of how they represented different groups. Because that was even past "so bad it's funny" territory.

How they figured Titus would pass off as even irish looking I don't know.
    I'm only on season 2 of SoA but I'm not sold on it, completely over-rated so far:
    - Humman's acting is awful, he seems to be trying to let his gatch do most of the walking in some seasons
    - The mother's hushed whispery tones
    - The Sergeant at Arms "wisecracks"
    - Stormtrooper esque shooting

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I loved John Hurt as The Bird O'Donnell.
    First person that came into my mind after reading the thread title :)

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Pat_custard

Brad Pitt in The Devils Own. He does a pretty good Northern accent and it's a decent film as well.

As Turkish says in Snatch "it's not quite Irish, it's not quite English, it's just.. Pikey"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

razorblunt wrote: »
    How they figured Titus would pass off as even irish looking I don't know.
    I'm only on season 2 of SoA but I'm not sold on it, completely over-rated so far:
    - Humman's acting is awful, he seems to be trying to let his gatch do most of the walking in some seasons
    - The mother's hushed whispery tones
    - The Sergeant at Arms "wisecracks"
    - Stormtrooper esque shooting

Don't forget how they never lose and are never held accountable for anything. Season upon season of the most unbelievable dribble.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Aimeee wrote: »
    Now that would be interesting. Meryl could pull it off I reckon. She can do anything.
    Long time since I've seen it now but i think her accent was ok in Dancing at Lughnasa? Don't know if mentioned already.

F Meryl Fing Streep. Glenn Close as Albert Nobbs. Meryl Street always taking Glenn Close's talent as her own :(

Elmo wrote: »
    F Meryl Fing Streep. Glenn Close as Albert Nobbs. Meryl Street always taking Glenn Close's talent as her own :(

Glen Close dosen't speak in an Irish accent in Albert Nobbs,the character is English.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,479 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

darkdubh wrote: »
    Glen Close dosen't speak in an Irish accent in Albert Nobbs,the character is English.

I thought Janet McTeer faired well in Albert Nobbs

Advertisement