Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most convincing non Irish actor in an Irish role.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

kupus wrote: »
    Veronica Guerin actress forget her name, I remember thinking the accent was pretty good.

Cate Blanchett

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Surely Brad Pitts accent in Snatch wouldnt be considered to be Irish? It was a traveller accent, probably sounded terrible to a traveller. I wouldnt consider travellers to have Irish accents.

I thought yer man in Braveheart who played the mad Irishman Stephen did a good Irish accent. "He wasnt right, in the head".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

MrWalsh wrote: »
    Surely Brad Pitts accent in Snatch wouldnt be considered to be Irish? It was a traveller accent, probably sounded terrible to a traveller. I wouldnt consider travellers to have Irish accents.

I thought yer man in Braveheart who played the mad Irishman Stephen did a good Irish accent. "He wasnt right, in the head".

Yes,never knew that actor is Scottish.He also played an IRA man in Some Mothers Son,which brings us on to Helen Mirren in that film.

darkdubh wrote: »
    Yes,never knew that actor is Scottish.He also played an IRA man in Some Mothers Son,which brings us on to Helen Mirren in that film.

Sorry I should have said he was Scottish in my post.

Id forgotten he was in Some Mothers Son - only watched that recently. Agree, Helen Mirren had a very natural accent in it.

It feels like Snatch was Brad Pitt's way for him to apologize and make up for his terrible attempt at an accent in Devil's Own. While inconsistent, his traveller accent was spot on.

• Advertisement

While inconsistent, his traveller accent was spot on.

Id like to hear what a traveller thought of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

'Twas spot on Boss.

Didn't he spend some time on a halting site learning from them?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Hrududu wrote: »
    I'll never forget seeing the trailer for Evelyn in the cinema and breaking myself laughing at Pierce Brosnans accent. "Where's me dhhhhaughthhher?"

fc,550x550,heather_grey.2.jpg

Didn't he spend some time on a halting site learning from them?

Dunno, but it sounded quite different to say, Patrick from Love/Hate who is actually a traveller.

I also dont know if there is a difference between the accent of a traveller who lives in Ireland and one who lives in England.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Anybody in Darby O' Gill.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭poeticmakaveli

Arnold Schwarzenegger in the terminator!!

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭poeticmakaveli

There was an episode in columbo called "the conspirators" where the main culprit is Irish and has committed a murder trying to do a deal with a man so he can smuggle guns back to Ireland to help with the IRA!I thought he was pretty good! I think he was English!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Agree with whoever said Brad Pitt's performance in Snatch was fun but his accent was all over the place and in no way convincing.

He obviously tried hard though.

Day-Lewis in In the Name of the Father was pretty good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Will Poulter (fairly posh UK accent) is exceptional at an American accent, obviously, but I felt he was also very good at a thick Dublin one in Glassland.

The person I was with when I seen it actually thought that he was an Irish actor.

Can only find one line of it really, but it comes at the very end of this clip:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭xalot

James McEvoy in Inside I'm Dancing is a good Dublin accent.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

James McAvoy in Inside I'm Dancing as already mentioned, but also Romola Garai in the same movie was also excellent.

McAvoy's missus, Anne-Marie Duff in The Magdelene Sisters was excellent too.

Paddy Consindine in In America already mentioned, but Samantha Morton, his wife in the film was also good.

Kelly Macdonald (notoriously for her awful accent in Boardwalk Empire) did a great accent in Intermission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Will Poulter (fairly posh UK accent) is exceptional at an American accent, obviously, but I felt he was also very good at a thick Dublin one in Glassland.

The person I was with when I seen it actually thought that he was an Irish actor.

Can only find one line of it really, but it comes at the very end of this clip:

That's excellent. I was waiting for a posh English guy to appear at the end and do a good Irish accent but it was the guy at the counter. The reason I thought he was Dublin before he spoke is because of his mannerisms and body language/deportment.

The trend seems to be if they try to do an actual regional accent, it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Daniel day Lewis, my left foot
    Brad Pitt, snatch

Brad Pitt was a pikey... I'm not sure that there was any mention of nationality

Not that I can remember anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭jones

lawred2 wrote: »

"Not quite Irish, not quite English" is how the film portrays it i believe

• Advertisement

lawred2 wrote: »

The term you used in the post above is offensive and considered to be racist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

The term you used in the post above is offensive and considered to be racist.
    Well to be fair, 'the pikey' is basically his pseudonym in the role. Haven't seen it in a few years, but if I recall Jason Statham and the rest call him that most of the time when he isn't around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

Thought for a thick Glaswegian accented James McAvoy, he did alright in Inside I'm Dancing.

I came onto this thread to post just that. I was convinced he was Irish for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Meant to be incomprehensible, anybody who spent time in West Limerick or North Kerry would be well used to deciphering accents like the one Brad Pitt had. He went on a week long bender with members of the travelling community in London to nail it. Not the first and not the last to get wasted in the name of research.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭whereto now

What about Kevin spacey in Ordinary Decent Criminal (least I think thats what it was called ) I don't really remember it been bad so it musta been ok....

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

What about Kevin spacey in Ordinary Decent Criminal (least I think thats what it was called ) I don't really remember it been bad so it musta been ok....

Watch it again, it's brutal

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭whereto now

Todd Gack wrote: »
    Watch it again, it's brutal

Will do.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

it would have to be Trevor Howard as the priest in Ryan's Daughter, played it to a tee

• Advertisement

Billy86 wrote: »
    Well to be fair, 'the pikey' is basically his pseudonym in the role. Haven't seen it in a few years, but if I recall Jason Statham and the rest call him that most of the time when he isn't around.

Yes, as a derogatory term.

The n word might also be used in movies but it doesn't mean we should be using it posting here!

Advertisement