Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland RWC Backline

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

I'd like to see Robbie 13 and D'Arcy 12 in one of the warm up games
    If something happens Payne that will probably be the centre pairing
    More realistically though will also probably be D'Arcy last game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

.ak wrote: »
    But he can't get into that frame without gaining valuable experience from being in the camp, knowing the calls, etc., etc.

I think you just re-iterated my point! ;)

Unwittingly so. I thought you meant experience for the future.

Reid is in the same boat as Herring, TOD, Marmion etc - needs a big slice of luck but could well be on the plane.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

If I were Reid I wouldn't want to go to the RWC. He'd be better off getting gametime in the Pro12 than holding tackle bags in the RWC.

He's 25 now and coming into a make or break season if you ask me. He needs to get a good chunk of games this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

CatFromHue wrote: »
    If I were Reid I wouldn't want to go to the RWC. He'd be better off getting gametime in the Pro12 than holding tackle bags in the RWC.

He's 25 now and coming into a make or break season if you ask me. He needs to get a good chunk of games this season.

If D'arcy retires after the RWC there's a good chance Reid will be first choice for the rest of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,769 ✭✭✭✭bilston

There are two ways of looking at it. He may never get another chance to mae a RWC. That is a huge honour whether you play or not. But then again what you say makes perfect sense too. He's a player that will be fascinating to watch next season. 12 is an open position for Ireland. Sure Olding and McCloskey are options but McCloskey still has a lot to prove and just playing rugby again is all Olding can worry about right now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭smiley_face

But he can't get into that frame without gaining valuable experience from being in the camp, knowing the calls, etc., etc.

I think you just re-iterated my point! ;)

I think Reid is the backup only for Madigan. He is a 12 primarily, and could be cover at 10 in an emergency.
    10 will be Sexton, with Jackson as backup.
    I reckon if either Sexton or Jackson gets an injury, Keatley will be called up as backup 10. He played well against Italy, and despite his poor performances since then, I think he is the next best available after Sexton and Jackson.
    Could argue that JJ Hanrahan is also a good option (can also play 12 or 15), but his lack of game-time at 10 is a weakness in his candidacy.
    Ian Humphreys is the next best option perhaps after Keatley.
    I could be wrong, perhaps Madigan is the replacement 10 if either Sexton or Jackson gets injured, and Reid would come in to play the role that Madigan currently fills.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

If D'arcy retires after the RWC there's a good chance Reid will be first choice for the rest of the season.

He still has to make the jersey his own and he can't do that sitting in the stands at the RWC.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I think Reid is the backup only for Madigan. He is a 12 primarily, and could be cover at 10 in an emergency.
    I reckon if either Sexton or Jackson gets an injury, Keatley will be called up as backup 10. He played well against Italy, and despite his poor performances since then, I think he is the next best available after Sexton and Jackson.
    Could argue that JJ Hanrahan is also a good option (can also play 12 or 15), but his lack of game-time at 10 is a weakness in his candidacy.
    I could be wrong, perhaps Madigan is the replacement 10 if either Sexton or Jackson gets injured, and Reid would come in to play the role that Madigan currently fills.

If both Sexton and Jackson are injured then I agree re Keats. If JS gets injured then it should be PJ starting and IM on the bench. Which is exactly the same as we saw in the 6Ns. Mads wasn't trusted to start ahead of Keats but he was trusted on the bench ahead of him.

He still has to make the jersey his own and he can't do that sitting in the stands at the RWC.

Ah, I don't think he'll have any hassle unless they persist with Madigan at 12... and I don't see that happening, I reckon Madigan will be playing all his Leinster games at 10 or 22.

If Sexton and Jackson get injured then the Rugby Gods hate us, probably for the Kidney Clock.

• Advertisement

I don't agree with any of this. I can't see anyone from outside the 45 being called up unless there are multiple injuries in one position.

Ian Humphreys would need an outbreak of bubonic plague in Carton House to have any hope.

molloyjh wrote: »
    If both Sexton and Jackson are injured then I agree re Keats. If JS gets injured then it should be PJ starting and IM on the bench. Which is exactly the same as we saw in the 6Ns. Mads wasn't trusted to start ahead of Keats but he was trusted on the bench ahead of him.

I think Sexton is 10 and Madigan is 22.
    If Sexton gets injured then PJ would be 10.
    Dunno what happens if Madigan gets injured, perhaps Jackson is 22 and Reid comes into the 31 to replace Madigan?
    Or maybe better option is Keatley or Hanrahan to come in to replace Madigan, but neither were called into the training camp.

I don't agree with any of this. I can't see anyone from outside the 45 being called up unless there are multiple injuries in one position.

Ian Humphreys would need an outbreak of bubonic plague in Carton House to have any hope.

Please post what you see happening then.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Please post what you see happening then.

Madigan would obviously start at 10 ahead of Humphreys.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 johnbaldry

best position for zebo is full back kearney over rated trimble should be in squad

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Madigan would obviously start at 10 ahead of Humphreys.

I agree, but what else happens, who comes in to replace the injured player?

I agree, but what else happens, who comes in to replace the injured player?

No one. The point of naming 45 players is to cover injuries.

johnbaldry wrote: »
    best position for zebo is full back kearney over rated trimble should be in squad

trimble injured kearney better fullback than zebo full stops who needs them

Yes, but only 31 make the RWC squad. Who would replace any of our 10 options if we had 1 or even 2 injuries?

trimble injured kearney better fullback than zebo full stops who needs them

If you can only select 5 to cover the back 3 who would you take?
    I'm assuming Kearney and Bowe are already going plus one of Zebo or Fitz at 11.
    So would it be Jones, plus a left-wing, or right-wing, or Dave Kearney who can cover both wings.
    Can Gilroy kick off both legs? perhaps he would be ahead of Kearney if he could cover both wings.
    I think Trimble is a right-wing, and Zebo and Fitz are left-wings.
    So would it be Jones plus one of Zebo/Fitz (whichever is not the 11) or Trimble/Gilroy or Dave Kearney?
    I would go with Zebo at 11, Bowe at 14, Kearney at 15, Jones at 23, and Fitz as cover.
    A bit weak on right wing if Bowe got injured, Jones would have to play right wing, and 23 would be Fitz. Also Bowe would probably play most of the matches against Canada and Romania with Jones coming on for him or Kearney.
    It's a bit of a conundrum unless 6 go to cover the back 3, but I can't see how that would be affordable as we need an extra scrumhalf, and can only take 14 backs I'm assuming.
    Dave Kearney or Gilroy may become the best cover option if they can cover both wings.
    Or is Earls or McFadden going to go as centre/wing? That would mean Madigan and Earls/McFadden as the only centres besides Henshaw and Payne. I would probably choose McFadden in that case.
    Otherwise could take a right-wing (Trimble/Gilroy) and must take Fitz as centre/wing option.
    or take a centre/wing combo, and weighing it up probably Fitz and McFadden are the best balance, or else Fitz and Earls.
    Could also go with Dave Kearney (both wings) and Cave (both centres).
    I think Trimble is the backup for Bowe if he got injured, and Gilroy is behind Trimble, but neither would make the 31 travelling squad, but would be called in if needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

I would have thought 15 x3 for training purposes and to facilitate different style of player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Ian Keatley plays 12...
    :)

Yes, but only 31 make the RWC squad. Who would replace any of our 10 options if we had 1 or even 2 injuries?

One injury = Noel Reid
    Two injuries = Reid + Keatley

If we have that many injuries where Humphreys or JJ become a factor, then we're f**ked anyway.

One injury = Noel Reid
    Two injuries = Reid + Keatley

If we have that many injuries where Humphreys or JJ become a factor, then we're f**ked anyway.

Ok, if 2 injuries (however unlikely) would Keatley be benching ahead of Reid?
    If injury to Madigan does Jackson get the 22 jersey?
    If Jackson is 22 and comes on for an injury to a centre, would Sexton go to 12? Keatley might be the better option to go to 12 if prefer Sexton to stay at 10.
    Or would Reid be preferred at 22?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,769 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Ok, if 2 injuries (however unlikely) would Keatley be benching ahead of Reid?
    If Jackson is 22 and comes on for an injury to a centre, would Sexton go to 12? Keatley might be the better option to go to 12 if prefer Sexton to stay at 10.

Jackson has played 12 for Ulster, only two or three times from the start but he has moved there a few times during matches, so while he clearly doesn't have Madigan's experience there he is capable of it.

I wonder if it is something we will see during the August matches, even if just for 20 minutes towards the end of one of the matches.

bilston wrote: »
    Jackson has played 12 for Ulster, only two or three times from the start but he has moved there a few times during matches, so while he clearly doesn't have Madigan's experience there he is capable of it.

I wonder if it is something we will see during the August matches, even if just for 20 minutes towards the end of one of the matches.

Which would be better, PJ at 10 with JS at 12, or JS at 10 with PJ at 12?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Which would be better, PJ at 10 with JS at 12, or JS at 10 with PJ at 12?

I'd reckon the latter. We've seen Sexton slot in at 12 a few times in the past and he's looked comfortable enough.

The grim spectre of Jonny Sexton at 12 is the reason Madigan has to bench.

The grim spectre of Jonny Sexton at 12 is the reason Madigan has to bench.

Ok,
    If Jackson is 22 and comes on for an injury to a centre, would Sexton go to 12?

• Advertisement

Ok,
    If Jackson is 22 and comes on for an injury to a centre, would Sexton go to 12?

No, he'd pick Jackson at 22, and I think they'd put him at inside centre if it came to it. Sexton is so instrumental to everything that Joe will be loathe to shift him out.

Advertisement