Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Balancing Act

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Darrenon91 wrote: »
    Ya I am prob being a little harsh on myself. Sorry back machine is seated row. Why I called it back machine I have no idea.

Ya to be honest I defo don't have anything left in the tank with the OH Press, T Bar and Pull ups. Maybe I can go a bit heavier on the row and facepulls and see how that feels.

Looks like you're doing fine. The absence of DOMS doesn't really mean anything and you're not finding it easy so lean ar aghaidh!

Problem with going heavier and heavier on something like face pulls is you start to lose the impact from where you're supposed to and the lower back gets involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Darrenon91

Looks like you're doing fine. The absence of DOMS doesn't really mean anything and you're not finding it easy so lean ar aghaidh!

Problem with going heavier and heavier on something like face pulls is you start to lose the impact from where you're supposed to and the lower back gets involved.

Ya your right its easy lose form on exercises like that. Maybe I should trust the programme and get on with it.

Cheers for the input as always ALF.:)

Ya your right its easy lose form on exercises like that. Maybe I should trust the programme and get on with it.

Cheers for the input as always ALF.:)

Always trust the program :)

FWIW, I only ever really get DOMS when I go back to high volume stuff and even thern it's only after the first couple of sessions.

Had a busy weekend of training with the GAA so didn't get to the gym. Groin has recovered well and felt good after training last night.

Also got to the gym before training in order to keep on track with the programme. I have set exercises that I want to do on bench day but we all know that's not gonna work out sometimes due to time constraints and how busy the gym is and Im not one for waiting around to be honest.

A) BB Bench - 5*5*85kg - Felt incredibly easy compared to last week.
    B) DB Flat Bench - 4*6*32.5kg
    C) Dips - 4*6 BW (going to add weight here in the future - finding them quite easy)
    D) Incline DB 4*12*25kg
    E) Cable Flies - 4*12*10kg

Again things didn't go to plan last night. Gym seems to be extra busy these days. Summer is coming.....:pac:

Anyways happy with the session especially the DL's.

A) Deadlifts - 5*5*145kg - really felt good here.
    B) T-BAR - 4*6*60kg - making my way up the weights but struggled a bit here
    C1) Pull Ups 4*6 BW
    C2) Didn't get OH press done. Too busy and no bars.
    D) Seated Cable row - 4*12 @66kg
    E) Face Pulls - 4*12 @32kg

Game Saturday so wont gym until Sunday or Monday again. Hopefully will be good to squat heavy again by then.

• Advertisement

Didn't feel confident in squatting last night so did bench day. Feeling much better today and Im looking forward to squatting again tonight. Hopefully pick up where I left off.

Anyways, last night went as follows

A) BB Bench - 5*4*90kg - Bench is feeling really good. or at least it was until I got too cocky on the last set and nearly got stuck. Lesson learned. :pac:
    C) Dips - 4*6 +5kg - First 3 sets felt fine. Last one was a major struggle.
    D) Incline DB 4*12*25kg
    E) Cable Flies - 4*12*10kg

Championship in two weeks so going to add in extra cardio during this week and half of next.

C2 Rower 500m Intervals (1:1 rest)
    1.41 (gassed pretty badly around 350m)

Good session.

C2 Rower 500m Intervals (1:1 rest)
    1.41 (gassed pretty badly around 350m)

It's a horrible feeling on those...the gassing.

It's a horrible feeling on those...the gassing.

Ya I know. I wasn't ready for it. A smooth 350m and then nothing for the last 150m.

Ya I know. I wasn't ready for it. A smooth 350m and then nothing for the last 150m.

Been doing something similar the last few weeks - 3 rounds of 500m, 60s rest and every time in the mid 200s of the last round I died. But then last week I passed the usual point of death and the mental boost kept me going until the end.

And then I died :)

Been doing something similar the last few weeks - 3 rounds of 500m, 60s rest and every time in the mid 200s of the last round I died. But then last week I passed the usual point of death and the mental boost kept me going until the end.

And then I died :)

Ya Im not gonna lie I kinda robbed the idea off you. :pac: I am a big fan of the rower though. 2k's are usually what I do but this could be a fun alternative, and by fun I mean not fun at all.

• Advertisement

Ya Im not gonna lie I kinda robbed the idea off you. :pac: I am a big fan of the rower though. 2k's are usually what I do but this could be a fun alternative, and by fun I mean not fun at all.

I did like the 30s row/30s rest option trying to keep above 150m per row and do 10 rounds of it but then I went to the 500m rows and it just pushed me a lot harder.

Trying to get a better hang of pacing before I start doing 1k and 2k rows. I figure I might as well give myself a chance of a half decent time if it's going to kill me :D

Eased back into the squat session last night. Groin didn't feel 100% on the squats even though I had no trouble with it during the match on Saturday. Still a bit of weakness there.

A) Back Squat - 5*5*95kg
    B) Front Squat - 4*6*75kg
    C) RDL - 4*6*75kg
    D) Lunges - 4*12 (e/l)* 20kg sand bag on back.
    E) Plyo squat jumps - 4*12 (BW)

Legs are fairly sore today. Pretty tired today also but might get to the gym tonight for an extra session this week. Have game on Friday so will leave Deadlifts until the weekend.

I made it to the gym on Saturday after my game on Friday but it was more of a recovery session than anything so nothing really to post from that.

Got to the gym last night to start week 4 of 12. Feeling good to be honest. Championship Friday though so not sure much will be done after Wednesday.

A) BB Bench - 5*3*95kg - Was nervous here to start and asked a random for a spot. Absolutely flew through the reps and got a weird look after :pac: Bench feeling gooood.
    C) Dips - 4*6 +15kg - Couldn't find a 10kg plate anywhere so said **** it ill try the 15kg. Reps were a struggle but got the 4*6 done.
    D) Cable Flies - 4*12*10kg
    E) Hand release push ups 4*12

Good session. Might just keep it easy enough tonight and tomorrow. Want to be as fresh as possible for Friday.

Took the weekend off after championship to rest and recover. Ive been focusing on staying fresh for games and training so I have defo neglected lower body work over the last few weeks. I will defo be looking to rectify this over the next month.

Last night felt good.

A) BB Bench - 5*2*100kg.
    B) DB Flat Bench - 4*6*35kg
    C) Dips - 4*6 +15kg. Feeling strong here.
    D) Cable Flies - 4*12*10kg
    E) Hand release push ups 4*12

Feeling pretty good overall. Gonna train hard this week as we have the week off from football.

Gym was on another level of packed last night so I couldn't stick to my programme but what can you do. Wanted to go heavy enough on the legs while I can.

A) Power Clean to Front Squat *5*5 - 85kg (couldn't get a rack)
    B) Hex Bar Deadlift - Worked up to a heavy single - 170kg
    C) Split Squats (using bench) 10kg each arm.
    D) Leg extensions 75kg - 4*6
    E) Air Squats * 40

Good session. Sore today.

Might go gym tonight but will call it later.

Wasn't feeling great at all last night but dragged myself to the gym for a quick session. Ive done the first six weeks of the new programme so I am planning on testing this weekend or Monday. so last night was just something to keep me ticking over,

A) BB Bench 90kg 5*5.
    B) Curls 25kg - 5*8
    C) Incline Bench 50kg 5*8
    D) Hand release push ups 4*12
    E) C2 Intervals

1000m row - 3.35
    2 mins rest
    750m row - 2.37
    90 secs rest
    500m row - 1.43
    60 sec rest
    250m row - 0.43

Feeling better today.

1000m row - 3.35
    2 mins rest
    750m row - 2.37
    90 secs rest
    500m row - 1.43
    60 sec rest
    250m row - 0.43

Feeling better today.

How did you find that? Easier than you expected?

How did you find that? Easier than you expected?

Ya to be honest I should have went harder earlier on. I wouldn't consider 3.35 a good time for the 1000m row. I will know for the next time. Will prob make the 250m a 500m aswel like you did.

Ya to be honest I should have went harder earlier on. I wouldn't consider 3.35 a good time for the 1000m row. I will know for the next time. Will prob make the 250m a 500m aswel like you did.

Yeah, I found that the first day I did it that I was being conservative on the 1000m and the 750m thinking I'd blow up during the 500m. I didn't and then the 250m just seems so short by comparison that it's mentally easy to get through.

In hindsight, the first time you do it is a marker and gives you an idea of how much harder you can push it earlier on.

Havent posted in a while. Was gonna pack in the thread as I had a pretty disappointing testing week and was disheartened after it but ive got myself going again. Was expecting better results but on reflection its not all bad.

Weight - 107.5kg

Front Squat - 110kg (5kg PR)
    Bench stayed a 105kg
    Back Squat stayed at 135kg (no belt)
    Deadlift 185kg - down from all time high of 190kg
    Max Pull ups. Still at 8
    Strict OH Press 65kg - down from 70kg.

Im the fittest and leanest ive ever been so I suppose something had to give somewhere. At the end of the day GAA is my first preference so as long as I am progressing there then that's good enough for me.

Back into the gym tonight.

• Advertisement

Your football season has started so your focus isn't on the strength training. Your gym time is to complement the football so it's difficult to improve on your PRs at this point in time. If you ran a good 8+ weeks of training and then tested during the off-season you'd have had a much better chance but even then there are a rake of things that can make the difference between a good and bad day.

It's the days and weeks where it feels like it's all gone a bit sh*te that make you appreciate the good.

Onwards and upwards!

Your football season has started so your focus isn't on the strength training. Your gym time is to complement the football so it's difficult to improve on your PRs at this point in time. If you ran a good 8+ weeks of training and then tested during the off-season you'd have had a much better chance but even then there are a rake of things that can make the difference between a good and bad day.

It's the days and weeks where it feels like it's all gone a bit sh*te that make you appreciate the good.

Onwards and upwards!

Cheers Alf. I think it was just the original disappointment as I had done 6 good weeks and was hitting easy doubles at 95% last week but as you said there are many variables and I will leave it at that and move on. :)

Back at it last night. Felt good going in and got a good session in.

A) Back Squat - 5*5*100kg
    B) Front Squat - 5*5*80kg
    C) Lunges - 4*12 (e/l)* 20kg sand bag on back.
    D) Plyo squat jumps - 4*12 (BW)

1000m row - 3.25
    2 mins rest
    750m row - 2.31
    90 secs rest
    500m row - 1.41
    60 sec rest
    250m row - 0.43

They are the kinda times I had in mind.

Got a quick session in before GAA training last night. nothing major just some accessory stuff that I leave out sometimes.

A) OHP - 45kg - 10*5
    B) Tricep Pull down - 23kg *4*6
    C) Face Pulls - 23kg *4*12
    D) Dips - 4*6 BW
    E) Lateral and Front raises - 4*8*6kg
    D) Chins *5 BW - EMOM 10 mins

Training was tough after so Im feeling it a bit now. Was planning on Deadlifting tonight but we have got a challenge for tomorrow night so will just do back without involving my legs.

Did a decent enough session last night. Was snappy enough. Was wrecked near the end. Slept like a baby and feeling fresh today.

A) T Bar - 40kg* 5*10 (wanted to try higher rep range on this)
    B) Face Pulls - 23kg*4*12
    C) Seated row 66kg*5*8
    D) Weight assisted Pull ups - 5*8
    E) Upright rows 30kg*5*8

Game tonight. Gonna head home this weekend so will prob get a good bit a training in. League starts back on Wednesday so will try and stay fresh after this weekend.

Had a good weekend of training at home. Just gym work. 2 games and training this week so will aim towards being fresh as possible for those.

Had my main sessions done before the weekend so the sessions weren't that structured. Was more for a catch up with my mates.

Saturday
    A) Bench - Worked up to 5 triples at 100kg
    B) Dips 5*5 *BW + 15kg
    C) Incline bench DB - 25kg 5*8
    D) Deadlift - Worked up to 3 singles at 170kg
    E) Lat Pull down - 5*8

Sunday
    A) Back Squat - 5*10 80kg
    D) Weighted Squat Jumps 5*8 + 10kg
    C) Leg Extensions 5*8 * 75kg
    D) Bench 65kg *5*10
    E) Chest Press 70kg *5*8
    F) Hand release push ups 4*12

Good weekend of training. Hope to continue tonight.

Good session again last night. Prob the last big session this week. Will try and keep tipping over for the rest of the week. Two big matches so if we came out with two wins it would be massive.

A) Deadlift 105kg * 5*10 (gonna lower weight and drill technique for a few weeks)
    B) OHP - 42.5kg - 5*10
    C) Bent over row - 55kg 5*8
    D) Tricep Pull down - 23kg *4*6
    E) Face Pulls - 23kg *4*12

Will get to the gym before GAA training tonight. training will be light with game Wednesday. Big week ahead.

We won our game Wednesday so the job is half done. We won well in the end so I think I pulled up a bit towards the end as I felt fairly decent yesterday morning. Got a decent enough session in last night.

A) BB Bench - 5*10*70kg.
    B) Smith Machine incline Bench - 4*6*65kg
    C) Dips - 4*6 +12.5kg.
    D) Cable Flies - 4*8*12.5kg
    E) Triceps Pull down - 4*8*18kg
    F) BB Flat bench with feet up 4*8*25kg

Just mixing up the accessory exercises now. I feel this will keep it interesting.

Got a decent session in Friday aswel. Felt very fresh so went a bit harder than I had planned.

A) OHP (strict) 40kg* 5*10
    B) Power Snatch 45kg* 5*5
    C) Lateral raises 7kg* 5*8
    D) Power cleans 70kg 5*3
    E) Shoulder press machine 4*12

Just got a notion of doing some Olympic lifting when I seen how empty the gym was. Enjoyed it. We won our game Saturday aswel. :) Really tight game. Felt good. Pigged out yesterday and im not even mad about it. :pac:

Looking forward to squats tonight.

• Advertisement

Just out of curiosity, do you notice gym work paying off on the pitch in terms of strength? As in is it obvious to you?

Advertisement