Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK Labour Leadership election

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

What's scary for them is he isn't reflexively pro-EU, isn't an identity politics muppet, and could bring UKIP working class voters back.

He won't IMO unless he changes his views on migration, his views might play well in London but Labour need to convince those white working/lower middle class class voters that feel abandoned by them to win.
    It might not be palatable or popular with the intelectual/media classes but according to pollsters/surveys this is one of the most important issues to voters
    http://www.migrationobservatory.ox.ac.uk/briefings/uk-public-opinion-toward-immigration-overall-attitudes-and-level-concern
    Dismissing these voter concerns as stemming from Racism or lack of education (even if occasionally true!) is how Labour have consistently lost their backbone of voters.
    In a way he's the worst of both worlds, ambivalent about the EU but could be considered soft on migration.
    I like the way he has reframed the debate and seems to be genuinely economically left wing but he represents a wealthy area of North London not the decaying post industrial towns.

Not a great fan of Liz Kendal but I think she had electorally sound idea by talking about these communities.
    Interesting article here
    http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2015/06/we-need-talk-about-inequality-even-when-it-makes-feel-uncomfortable

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,770 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Immigration is only a major concern for the same reason that unemployment benefits are also a major concern; disproportionate coverage in the media. That said, I do take your point regarding the universally neglected white, working class. 4.4 million people voted for UKIP. Unless the new Labour leader makes a serious attempt to address this then they're going to face a difficult election in 2020.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

Immigration is only a major concern for the same reason that unemployment benefits are also a major concern; disproportionate coverage in the media.
    So happy now! I, and about 4.5million people in the UK, plus most tory voters and a fair chunk of labour voters as well as most of Europe who now consider Immagration to be the single biggest issue can relax!!! It's not wage deflation, housing shortages, stretched public services, non EU immigrants costing 100billion and being over represented in crime and underrepresented in employment, watching utopias like Sweden become the rape capital of the world and weekly bomb attacks ignored by the media, social cohesion problems, ghettos being formed, no go zones, religious extremism, cultural practices that result the rape of thousands of white British children, FGM, honour killings and attacks on public transport like seen in Paris or the London bombings, troops beheaded on the street and thousands marching calling for uk troops to burn in hell, trogan attacks to take over schools, attacks on free speech like seen in Paris then the cowardly media being scared into printing the pictures that caused the problem, erc etc etc etc etc.

Who knew the answer was so simple? Just turn the news off! Genius.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,770 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

gallag wrote: »
    So happy now! I, and about 4.5million people in the UK, plus most tory voters and a fair chunk of labour voters as well as most of Europe who now consider Immagration to be the single biggest issue can relax!!! It's not wage deflation, housing shortages, stretched public services, non EU immigrants costing 100billion and being over represented in crime and underrepresented in employment, watching utopias like Sweden become the rape capital of the world and weekly bomb attacks ignored by the media, social cohesion problems, ghettos being formed, no go zones, religious extremism, cultural practices that result the rape of thousands of white British children, FGM, honour killings and attacks on public transport like seen in Paris or the London bombings, troops beheaded on the street and thousands marching calling for uk troops to burn in hell, trogan attacks to take over schools, attacks on free speech like seen in Paris then the cowardly media being scared into printing the pictures that caused the problem, erc etc etc etc etc.

Who knew the answer was so simple? Just turn the news off! Genius.

Sweden is the "rape capital of the world". What? There isn't a single "no go zone" in the UK. Not one. This is just more of your nonsense.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Sweden is the "rape capital of the world". What? There isn't a single "no go zone" in the UK. Not one. This is just more of your nonsense.

Pretty weak reply in fairness, you picked two issues of many but let's explore them anyway, firstly it may well be an exaggeration to say Sweden, due to immigrants has become the rape capital of the world! It's actually only the rape capital of the western world due to an explosion in rape/sexual assault committed by mostly muslim migrants, their is actually a trend of blonde Swedish women dieing their hair and covering up to avoid attention! Parts of Sweden are definitely no go areas for non muslims and suffer many bomb attacks a week, this has resulted in the rise of the right in Sweden, something unimaginable a few years ago! Sweden also suffers an alarming amount of crime and unemployment from its immagrant community.

As for London, it's subjective isn't it, you say there is no areas that non muslims are not safe yet a cursory Google/YouTube search on the topic certainly shows areas that I, as I am sure you would also feel unsafe never mind if you were a scantily clad female or a jew in a skull cap, but I suppose you are correct that there is no map from an official source highlighting dangerous areas for white British people which I suppose would be the only evidence you would be willing to accept, though I would imagine your hypocrisy would be tested if challenged to walk through Alum Rock late at night with your miniskirt wearing wife and your skull cap on.

• Advertisement

Sources for any of this?

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

The symptoms are accurate, but I think the causes are more open to dispute.

Sweden is the rape capital, primarily due to the way crime is reported in Sweden and with a terrible conviction rate. Amnesty International highlighted this in 2009 and an EU study in 2014 confirmed this.
    Amnesty's most damning criticism of Sweden relates to the considerable disparity between the number of rapes reported and the conviction rate.

Case Closed highlights the damning evidence that, despite the number of rapes reported to the police quadrupling over the past 20 years, the percentage of reported rapes ending in conviction is markedly lower today than it was in 1965.

Sweden’s profile in terms of violence against women has also attracted concern from the United Nations.

As UN rapporteur Yakin Ertürk comments in a special report released in February 2007, there is a notable discrepancy “between the apparent progress in achieving gender equality and the reports of continued violence against women in the country.”

The statistics are certainly alarming. Results from the annual, government commissioned National Safety Survey (NTU), which is conducted by BRÅ, indicate that the actual number of rapes in Sweden in 2006 was estimated to be close to 30,000.

If this figure is correct, then it indicates that as few as 5-10 percent of all rapes are reported to the police.

Equally disturbing is the statistic from BRÅ stating that in 2007, less than 13 percent of the 3,535 rape crimes reported resulted in a decision to start legal proceedings.

Over the past ten years there has been a 58 percent increase in reported sex crimes and according to BRÅ, it is now statistically more likely for a person in Sweden to be sexually assaulted than robbed.

Whatever the argument about reporting methods, it seems that the actual rate of rape has definitely increased (and convictions haven't).

Some people pin the blame on immigration, and it's true that there have been an increase in rape cases involving immigrants, but they also compose a larger component of the population now.

However, more accurately in my opinion - is the unintended consequences of the Swedish model of Sex Purchase Criminalisation. i.e. the risk to women in the sex industry declined, the risk to women in general society increased. There is at least some correlation between the legislation and the increase in rape, coinciding with the increase in immigration.

Amnesty International advises full decriminalisation, as do the World Health Organisation, the United Nations AIDS programme UNAIDS, and the leading medical journal The Lancet.
    However, Amnesty International have had their name dragged through the mud here in Ireland, primarily at the behest of the media, with some highly critical articles, which never even bothered to explain Amnesty's rationale -
    As usual, our liberal media attempts to fully suppress the side of the conversation which it doesn't like having.

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    Sweden is the rape capital, primarily due to the way crime is reported in Sweden and with a terrible conviction rate. Amnesty International highlighted this in 2009 and an EU study in 2014 confirmed this.

The first link is dead. The second is written by Una Mullaly of all people and contains no link to the original data.
    Whatever the argument about reporting methods, it seems that the actual rate of rape has definitely increased (and convictions haven't).

Some people pin the blame on immigration, and it's true that there have been an increase in rape cases involving immigrants, but they also compose a larger component of the population now.

However, more accurately in my opinion - is the unintended consequences of the Swedish model of Sex Purchase Criminalisation. i.e. the risk to women in the sex industry declined, the risk to women in general society increased. There is at least some correlation between the legislation and the increase in rape, coinciding with the increase in immigration.

Amnesty International advises full decriminalisation, as do the World Health Organisation, the United Nations AIDS programme UNAIDS, and the leading medical journal The Lancet.
    However, Amnesty International have had their name dragged through the mud here in Ireland, primarily at the behest of the media, with some highly critical articles, which never even bothered to explain Amnesty's rationale -
    As usual, our liberal media attempts to fully suppress the side of the conversation which it doesn't like having.

I think there is a legitimate link between rising reports and victims feeling more confident that they'll be taken seriously by the authorities. In any case, there's no evidence to suggest that the increased amount of reports is caused by immigration.

H. H. Asquith

their is actually a trend of blonde Swedish women dieing their hair and covering up to avoid attention!

There is also growing discussion of concealed carry firearms with the rape crisis, and 2 people murdered by an asylum seeker in an Ikea store with week is adding fuel to the inferno.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 colourinkjet2

I really hope Corbyn wins.
    If I lived in the UK I'd even register to vote for him.

He is really going to bring in the votes for UKIP. Nigel must be rubbing his hands with glee.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

I really hope Corbyn wins.
    If I lived in the UK I'd even register to vote for him.

He is really going to bring in the votes for UKIP. Nigel must be rubbing his hands with glee.
    The British are not too impressed with

"Oh Yes I am Resigning"

"Oh No I am not Resigning"

Will Nigel be in "Alladin" this Christmas !

blinding wrote: »
    The British are not too impressed with

"Oh Yes I am Resigning"

"Oh No I am not Resigning"

Will Nigel be in "Alladin" this Christmas !

I'd say a fair few million of them are impressed. I'd imagine it will be a fair bit more by 2020 going the nightly news.

The first link is dead. The second is written by Una Mullaly of all people and contains no link to the original data.

Sorry, messed up the links:
    Amnesty one is no longer on the site

Eu report is here: http://fra.europa.eu/sites/default/files/fra-2014-vaw-survey-main-results-apr14_en.pdf
    I think there is a legitimate link between rising reports and victims feeling more confident that they'll be taken seriously by the authorities.
    That's the opposite of what's happening; Reports are rising 'despite' the conviction rate.
    [ In any case, there's no evidence to suggest that the increased amount of reports is caused by immigration.

2 issues:
    1. Language barrier
    2. Political correctness (we don't have an immigrant problem, since we imported white Christians mainly, be we have the traveller problem - with a Soviet like approach, where everybody privately says one thing and the media publish some else altogether, lol)
    http://www.thelocal.se/20051214/2683
    In a report studying 4.4 million Swedes between the ages of 15 and 51 during the period 1997-2001, the council found that immigrants were overrepresented in Sweden's crime statistics.

Immigrants were also three times more likely to be investigated for assault and five times more likely to be investigated for sex crimes.

2 issues:
    1. Language barrier
    2. Political correctness (we don't have an immigrant problem, since we imported white Christians mainly, be we have the traveller problem - with a Soviet like approach, where everybody privately says one thing and the media publish some else altogether, lol)

I don't buy either argument here. How on earth would a language barrier contribute to the rape problem? The PC argument has been trotted out again and again with nothing backing it up. Thanks for providing the report. However, it's an EU study so therefore does not corroborate the "rape capital of the world" statement made earlier.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

As for London, it's subjective isn't it, you say there is no areas that non muslims are not safe yet a cursory Google/YouTube search on the topic certainly shows areas that I, as I am sure you would also feel unsafe never mind if you were a scantily clad female or a jew in a skull cap...
    Name one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

I'd say a fair few million of them are impressed. I'd imagine it will be a fair bit more by 2020 going the nightly news.
    You may be right but could you have seen the labour voters that went to Ukip returning to Lab-Tory of Kendall,Cooper or Burnham.

djpbarry wrote: »
    Name one.

I already tried that.

H. H. Asquith

I don't buy either argument here. How on earth would a language barrier contribute to the rape problem?
    Sorry, should have been clearer.

Language barrier is what prevents me from citing Swedish source material.
    I have to refer to the article above, which cites the Swedish National Council for Crime Prevention, instead of quoting them directly.
    The PC argument has been trotted out again and again with nothing backing it up. Thanks for providing the report. However, it's an EU study so therefore does not corroborate the "rape capital of the world" statement made earlier.

Sorry, again, language barrier.

Is BBC any good to you?
    http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-19592372

Sweden has the highest rape rate in Europe, author Naomi Wolf said on the BBC's Newsnight programme recently. She was commenting on the case of Julian Assange, the Wikileaks founder who is fighting extradition from the UK to Sweden over rape and sexual assault allegations that he denies.

Is it true? Yes. The Swedish police recorded the highest number of offences - about 63 per 100,000 inhabitants - of any force in Europe, in 2010. The second-highest in the world.
    This was three times higher than the number of cases in the same year in Sweden's next-door neighbour, Norway, and twice the rate in the United States and the UK. It was more than 30 times the number in India, which recorded about two offences per 100,000 people.

You are correct, not the capital, it was the runner up in 2012.
    I'd imagine with the likes of ISIL in 2015, Sweden is a few places down the rape crisis list.

blinding wrote: »
    You may be right but could you have seen the labour voters that went to Ukip returning to Lab-Tory of Kendall,Cooper or Burnham.

I was mostly worried that Labour would get somebody who would talk tuff on immigration while really doing nothing like DC.
    Somebody espousing a populist message with a working class background and the Labour party machine behind them would have been a real threat.

What we have got instead is an old man with the ideas of an undergrad college lefty.
    Working class brits ain't coming back for that.

Sorry, should have been clearer.

Language barrier is what prevents me from citing Swedish source material.
    I have to refer to the article above, which cites the Swedish National Council for Crime Prevention, instead of quoting them directly.

Sorry, again, language barrier.

Is BBC any good to you?

You are correct, not the capital, it was the runner up in 2012.
    I'd imagine with the likes of ISIL in 2015, Sweden is a few places down the rape crisis list.

Fair points. However, you're using reports/convictions as a measure which ignores issues like police corruption in third world countries.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

Fair points. However, you're using reports/convictions as a measure which ignores issues like police corruption in third world countries.

Agreed, and it also ignores cultural issues, apparently some African languages don't even have a word for rape since it's not a concept in their culture.

But Sweden is concerning because the rate of rape has increased, despite unusually high levels of Gender Equality.

I'm just guessing of course, but my impression is both sides are partly correct, but prohibition is takes much more of the blame, since the pattern seems to repeat across the Nordic countries - which use the Swedish model.

Agreed, and it also ignores cultural issues, apparently some African languages don't even have a word for rape since it's not a concept in their culture.

But Sweden is concerning because the rate of rape has increased, despite unusually high levels of Gender Equality.

I'm just guessing of course, but my impression is both sides are partly correct, but prohibition is takes much more of the blame, since the pattern seems to repeat across the Nordic countries - which use the Swedish model.

I would have thought the opposite of Sweden but there we have it. Anyway, we've veered off topic so I'm going to leave it there.

H. H. Asquith

I already tried that.

I feel I answered you here

"As for London, it's subjective isn't it, you say there is no areas that non muslims are not safe yet a cursory Google/YouTube search on the topic certainly shows areas that I, as I am sure you would also feel unsafe never mind if you were a scantily clad female or a jew in a skull cap, but I suppose you are correct that there is no map from an official source highlighting dangerous areas for white British people which I suppose would be the only evidence you would be willing to accept, though I would imagine your hypocrisy would be tested if challenged to walk through Alum Rock late at night with your miniskirt wearing wife and your skull cap on."

As I said it's subjective, many people in Birmingham feel there is areas that are unsafe for them, just look at the demographic switch there, white flight is being caused by something, there was even a sign saying "no whites after 8pm" Birmingham will soon be 50% Pakistani and 0-10% white British. Here is an old article from a local Birmingham mail, it shows at the very least people believe their are no go zones.
    http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/local-news/the-area-of-birmingham-that-are-no-go-areas-for-white-237564

Now iv answered your question again, would you walk through Alum Rock late at night with your miniskirt wearing wife and a skull cap on? Just to prove me wrong like?

I feel I answered you here

"As for London, it's subjective isn't it, you say there is no areas that non muslims are not safe yet a cursory Google/YouTube search on the topic certainly shows areas that I, as I am sure you would also feel unsafe never mind if you were a scantily clad female or a jew in a skull cap, but I suppose you are correct that there is no map from an official source highlighting dangerous areas for white British people which I suppose would be the only evidence you would be willing to accept, though I would imagine your hypocrisy would be tested if challenged to walk through Alum Rock late at night with your miniskirt wearing wife and your skull cap on."

As I said it's subjective, many people in Birmingham feel there is areas that are unsafe for them, just look at the demographic switch there, white flight is being caused by something, there was even a sign saying "no whites after 8pm" Birmingham will soon be 50% Pakistani and 0-10% white British. Here is an old article from a local Birmingham mail, it shows at the very least people believe their are no go zones.
    http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/local-news/the-area-of-birmingham-that-are-no-go-areas-for-white-237564

Now iv answered your question again, would you walk through Alum Rock late at night with your miniskirt wearing wife and a skull cap on? Just to prove me wrong like?

You didn't. That "article" doesn't mention how this conclusion was arrived at, just that "WHITE working class Brummies fear parts of their city have become no-go areas for them." Was a survey carried out? What about a statement from the police on the subject? Also, how hard would it have been to take a photo of this ‘No Whites after 8.30’ sign which, you've neglected to say was sprayed on.

H. H. Asquith

You didn't. That "article" doesn't mention how this conclusion was arrived at, just that "WHITE working class Brummies fear parts of their city have become no-go areas for them." Was a survey carried out? What about a statement from the police on the subject? Also, how hard would it have been to take a photo of this ‘No Whites after 8.30’ sign which, you've neglected to say was sprayed on.
    Well, would you feel safe walking through Alum Rock late at night with your miniskirt wearing wife and your skull cap on? Does it matter at all that many people in Birmingham feel that there are certain unsafe areas? Is white flight a problem? You never really seem to adress my questions while demanding yours are answered in full clarity.

Well, would you feel safe walking through Alum Rock late at night with your miniskirt wearing wife and your skull cap on? Does it matter at all that many people in Birmingham feel that there are certain unsafe areas? Is white flight a problem? You never really seem to adress my questions while demanding yours are answered in full clarity.

Most cities have areas that are considered unsafe. That's always been the case.

H. H. Asquith

Most cities have areas that are considered unsafe. That's always been the case.

So most city's have areas that the locals feel unsafe in due to religious practices, sort of like no go zones?

So most city's have areas that the locals feel unsafe in due to religious practices, sort of like no go zones?

I never mentioned religious practices at all. That's just bigotry.

H. H. Asquith

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigration_and_crime

DenmarkEdit

Further information: Immigration to Denmark andCrime in Denmark

According to the figures from Danmarks Statistik, crime rate among refugees and their descendants is 73% higher than for the male population average, even when taking into account their socioeconomic background. A report from Teori- og Metodecentret from 2006 found that seven out of ten young people placed on the secured youth institutions in Denmark are immigrants (with 40 percent of them being refugees).[3]

Somali immigrants in Denmark have especially higher crime rate than Danes and immigrants from other countries, as revealed by figures from the Ministry of Justice. For every 1000 Somali nationals charged last year, 114 were convicted for violations of the Penal Code. The same figures for Danish citizens is 13 (12.9% of 1000), while 54 out of 1000 citizens from other countries got a conviction. [12]

FinlandEdit

Further information: Immigration to Finland and Crime in Finland

According to official statistics, 21.0% of rapes have been committed by foreigners in Finland.[13] Foreigners comprise 2.2% of the population.[13]

In contrast, the rape support helplineTukinainen reports that 6% of all callers and 11% of 10–20-year-old callers say that the rapist was a foreigner.[14] Additionally, Finnish rapists are more likely to be known personally by the victim, increasing the threshold to report. Furthermore, there are great asymmetries between nationalities of rapists.[15]

FranceEdit

Further information: Immigration to France and Crime in France

A 2006 study found that the share of immigrants has a positive and significant impact on the crime rate, confirming that a larger share of immigrants is associated with a higher crime rate. The data implies that this may be caused by the higher unemployment, and thus worse socioeconomic conditions among immigrants. However, unemployed persons born in France are still far less likely to commit crimes than unemployed recent immigrants.[16]

GermanyEdit

Further information: Immigration to Germany andCrime in Germany

Immigrants in Germany are overrepresented in crime statistics. In Berlin, young male immigrants are three times more likely to commit violent crimes than their German peers.[17] The crime rate of immigrants is at first glimpse about 5 times higher than that for Germans (4,9 : 1). A differentiated analysis of the Bavarian police (Landeskriminalamt) shows that the relation of 4.9 : 1 drops to 2.7 : 1 if only the registered population of foreigners is taken into account. It further drops to 2.4 : 1 if offences that cannot be committed by Germans are taken off. If only 14–21 years old male juveniles and young adults are considered, the ratio is 1.9 : 1.[5]

GreeceEdit

Further information: Immigration to Greece and Crime in Greece

Official statistics show that immigrants are responsible for about half of the criminal activity in Greece.[18] The Greek police have admitted that armed gangs entering the country from neighbouring Albania or Bulgaria could have been attracted by reports that many people have been withdrawing cash from banks and stashing it in their homes.[18]There are possibly more than 1 million illegal immigrants inside Greece as of 2012.[18][19]

Illegal immigration to Greece has increased rapidly over the past several years. Tough immigration policies in Spain and Italy and agreements with their neighboring African countries to combat illegal immigration have changed the direction of African immigration flows toward Greece. At the same time, flows from Asia and the Middle East — mainly Pakistan, Afghanistan, Iraq, and Bangladesh — to Greece appear to have increased as well.[19]

The evidence now indicates that nearly all illegal immigration to the European Union flows through the country's porous borders. In 2010, 90 percent of all apprehensions for unauthorized entry into the European Union took place in Greece, compared to 75 percent in 2009 and 50 percent in 2008.[19]

In 2010, 132,524 persons were arrested for "illegal entry or stay" in Greece, a sharp increase from 95,239 in 2006. Nearly half of those arrested (52,469) were immediately deported, the majority of them being Albanians.[19]

NetherlandsEdit

Further information: Immigration to the Netherlands

Non-"white Dutch" youths are more likely to have contact with the police and be convicted of a serious crime than their "white Dutch" compatriots. More than half of Moroccan-Dutch youths aged 18 to 24 years in Rotterdam have been in trouble with the police for the suspicion of a crime. Young Antillean and Surinamese Rotterdammers are strongly overrepresented in crime statistics. Of them, 40 percent have been suspected. Of indigenous young people aged from 18 to 24, 18% percent already came in contact with criminal law.[20][better source needed] [21]

According to a 2009 study commissioned by Justice Minister Ernst Hirsch Ballin,[22][better source needed] of 447 criminal files, 63% teenagers convicted of serious crime are children of parents born outside the Netherlands. In the research, 447 case files of youngsters aged from 12 to 17 were studied. All the files involved cases in which the perpetrator was convicted of a crime for which the maximum jail sentence is 8 years or more. These were murder, manslaughter, robbery with violence, extortion, arson, public acts of violence and sexual crimes. The study did not examine whether the courts or police engage in discriminatory practices with respect to youths not of "white Dutch" origin.

The ethnic composition of the files in the study was: "White Dutch" - 37%; Moroccans - 14%; Unknown origin - 14%; "other non-Westerners" - 9%; Turkish - 8%; Surinamese - 7%; Antillean - 7%; and "other Westerners" - 4%.[22][better source needed]

Police data for 2002 that were linked to population data showed that 37.5 percent of all recorded suspects of a crime living in the Netherlands are of foreign origin (including those of the second generation). The proportion of these persons in the suspect population is therefore almost twice as high as the share of immigrants among the Dutch population. The highest suspect rates per capita are found among first (4.9) and second generation (7.1) male migrants from a non‐western background. Rates for so‐called ‘western migrants’ are very close to those of the native Dutch. In all groups, rates for women are considerably lower than for men, with the highest found among non‐western migrants (Blom et al. 2005: 31).[23]

NorwayEdit

See also: Immigration to Norway § Crime and Crime in Norway

The overall probability that a person living in Norway would be convicted for a felony (no: forbrytelse) was increased by about 0.5 percentage points for the immigrant compared to non-immigrant populations for felonies committed in the years 2001-2004. The incidence was especially high among immigrants from Kosovo, Morocco, Somalia, Iraq, Iran and Chile, and reached more than 2% in all these groups. In comparison, the incidence in the non-immigrant population was about 0.7%.[24]

Immigrants are also overrepresented in sexual crime statistics. In a news report in 2010, a spokesperson for the Oslo Police Department stated that every case of assault rapes in Oslo in the years 2007, 2008 and 2009 was committed by a non-Western immigrant.[25] This picture has later been nuanced, as only perpetrators in the solved cases were counted, and 4 of the victims in the 16 unsolved cases described the perpetrator as being of Norwegian ethnicity.[26]

The report shows that, of 131 individuals charged with the 152 rapes in which the perpetrator could be identified, 45.8% were of African, Middle Eastern or Asian origin while 54.2% were of Norwegian, other European or American origin. In the cases of "assault rape", i.e. rape aggravated by physical violence, a category that included 6 of the 152 cases and 5 of the 131 identified individuals, the 5 identified individuals were of African, Middle Eastern or Asian origin. In the cases of assault rape where the individual responsible was not identified and the police relied on the description provided by the victim, "8 of the perpetrators were African / dark-skinned appearance, 4 were Western / light / Nordic and 4 had an Asian appearance".[27]

SpainEdit

Further information: Immigration to Spain and Crime in Spain

The rates of crimes committed by immigrants are substantially higher than nationals.[28] The arrival of immigrants has resulted in a lack of progress in the reduction of offences against property and in a minor increase in the number of offences against Collective Security (i.e. drugs and trafficking). In the case of nationals, their contribution to the increase in the crime rate is primarily concentrated in offences against persons. Econometric results confirm the result even after controlling for all the observed socioeconomic and demographic factors. A report indicates that a higher proportions of American, non-UE European, and African immigrants tend to widen the crime differential, the effect being larger for the latter ones.[28]

The same paper generally supports that labor market related conditions seem to supersede other potential explanations for the relationship between crime and immigration. However, given the limitations of the dataset and the available statistics of crime in Spain, the econometric analysis cannot exclude other alternative explanations such as ethnical related activities or misperceptions about the law. Cultural differences were statistically detected, endorsing the view that some communities of immigrants might not see Spanish criminal law as a body of rules that captures their own views of society.[28]

Spanish National Statistics Institute (INE) published a study that analyzes records in the Register of Convicted in 2008. The data shows that immigrants are overrepresented in the crime statistics - 70% of all crimes were committed by Spaniards and 30% by foreigners.[29] Foreigners make up 15% of the population.[29]

SwitzerlandEdit

Further information: Immigration to Switzerland andCrime in Switzerland § Immigrant criminality

In Switzerland, 69.7% of prison population had no Swiss citizenship, compared to 22.1% of total resident population (as of 2008). The figure of arrests by residence status is not usually made public. In 1997, when there were for the first time more foreigners than Swiss among the convicts under criminal law (out of a fraction of 20.6% of the total population at the time), a special report was compiled by the Federal Department of Justice and Police(published in 2001) which for the year 1998 found an arrest rate per 1000 adult population of 2.3 for Swiss citizens, 4.2 for legally resident aliens and 32 for asylum seekers. 21% of arrests made concerned individuals with no residence status, who were thus either sans papiers or "crime tourists" without any permanent residence in Switzerland.[30]

The term Ausländerkriminalität ("foreigner criminality") since the 1990s has become a politically charged term, with the populist "black sheep" campaign for the "initiative for the extradition of criminal foreigners" of theSwiss People's Party making international headlines in September 2007. [31] [32]

In 2010, a statistic was published which listed delinquency by nationality (based on 2009 data). To avoid distortions due to demographic structure, only the male population aged between 18 and 34 was considered for each group. From this study it became clear that crime rate is highly correlated on the country of origin of the various migrant groups. Thus, immigrants from Germany, France and Austria had a significantly lower crime rate than Swiss citizens (60% to 80%), while immigrants fromAngola, Nigeria and Algeria had a crime rate of above 600% of that of Swiss population. In between these extremes were immigrants from Former Yugoslavia, with crime rates of between 210% and 300% of the Swiss value.[33]

In April 2010, the director of the Federal Office for Migration (BFM), Alard du Bois-Reymond, issued a statement on the large number of unfounded requests for asylum by nationals of Nigeria in particular. Du Bois-Reymond said that 99.5% of asylum seekers of Nigerian origin were abusing the asylum system, entering Switzerland with the intention of pursuing petty crime and drug dealing.[34] The Nigerian ambassador to Switzerland, Martin Ihoeghian Uhomoibhi, objected to du Boi-Reymond's statement as an undue generalization.[35]

SwedenEdit

Further information: Immigration to Sweden andCrime in Sweden

Immigrants are overrepresented in Sweden's crime statistics. In a study by the Swedish National Council for Crime Prevention in 1997-2001, 25% of the almost 1,520,000 offences were found to be committed by people born abroad, while almost 20% were committed by Swedish-born people with a foreign background. In the study, immigrants were found to be four times more likely to be investigated for lethal violence and robbery than ethnic 

Nothing to see here! It's just the media!

• Advertisement

I never mentioned religious practices at all. That's just bigotry.

Ah, but I mentioned religious practices, I asked would you walk through Alum Rock late at night with your miniskirt wearing wife and your skull cap on, you agree that would be to dangerous and the reason for that danger is religious practices. No?

Advertisement