Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mini Cut Vlog

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭9bred4

Okay, so you don't need to be looking ahead either? In that Hanley video he is staring at the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

It's just keeping the neck pretty neutral.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

It's just keeping the neck pretty neutral.

Something to keep in mind for RDL/SLDLs as well imo.
    I find they can tighten up my traps badly if I keep my head up, the way one might do for a regular DL.

Sugar Free wrote: »
    Something to keep in mind for RDL/SLDLs as well imo.

Definitely. I was always really guilty for trying to look straight ahead. Since I've made a much more conscious effort to keep neck neutral (thanks to COH pointing it out a couple of times) it's definitely helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

I have also found the the narrower my stance the better my barbell BORs feel

• Advertisement

I'll have an ol video up today but BOR not until tomorrow, I'll try it out though.

Used a split stance today for Shoulder press. That's alright I assume is it? I mean it probably takes away some core benefit but it is aimed at shoulders so..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

It doesn't make much of a difference, just probably means you're more stable.

Yeah, I found that if I don't split the stance I tend to really arch my back which provides more negatives than positives I assume!

Back bend is just a measure to make it easier to get the bar over your head. Most people will lean back a bit, but lads in the olympics used to take it really far, like this guy:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=7102&stc=1&d=1207682262

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwVrmPGrBro

Felt it in my hammies while deadlifting. Assuming that is normal/good? Felt good anyway and no back pain or anything either.

• Advertisement

Have you tried the OHP with a narrower grip...bit outside shoulder width?

I actually thought my grip was pretty narrow! I'll try a bit narrower on Monday!

9bred4 wrote: »
    I actually thought my grip was pretty narrow! I'll try a bit narrower on Monday!

Little finger is out at the rings so it's like a benching grip. You want it just outside your shoulders so your arms are more vertical when you lockout.

When you set up, stand against the bar and position your hands just outside shoulder width.

I get what you mean. Sitting at my desk acting it out, getting a few stares.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_etj79Q6y7M&feature=youtu.be

Not sure which bent over row is better. 1 or 2.

Also why are my squats still lopsided!! I'm trying not to do it but still just happens. Bastards!

I think the lopsidded squats could be down to shoulder mobility/flexibility, I think if you tried a thumbless grip in which you aren't >really gripping the bar more clamping it onto your back==> someone will be along shortly with a pic/vid/better explanation of what i mean :)

In regards to your BOR, both are much nicer than in the first video BUT the bar should be pretty much dragging along your legs, you want the bar to be as close to your centre of gravity as possible so the bar should finish right in your hip crease and travel as close to your legs as possible. The bar bath you are using at the moment looks like it would hit the upper back but you will never be able to increase the weight that much as you will lose balance and be pulled forward. It would also be good to try a much much narrow stance. I find a narrow stance is the strongest for me but obviously everyone is different and it may not suit you but it's good to try all options.

Your rows are looking better than before, but I think your pulling with your arms too much. Personally I found this video brilliant for showing me how to row with my lats rather than my arms, and who better to show it than one of the strongest people in history ;). Starts at 2:45.

Are you squeezing your traps together and resting the bar on them? I assume your going with a highbar squat, and it looks like the bar is wobbling a bit through your reps. The bar needs to sit on the traps, and you need to grip the bar hard to stop it moving.

You're also squatting a bit high on some of your reps, and you seem to slow down at the bottom which is making it much harder for you. Are you hesitant when you squat? A lot of people have this problem when squatting. If you use a stretch reflex it'll make your squats much easier as you'll bounce out of the bottom like a spring and you'll hit good depth. Bear in mind it takes time, better mobility and concentration, to get it right.

On OHP don't lower the bar so much. You want your forearms to be perpendicular to the floor at all times. On each rep you lower the bar too low on your upper chest and this causes your forearms to drift forward = your initial push the bar isn't travelling straight up so you are leaking power.

You're not pulling the slack out of the bar before you lift. It's almost like there's a slight downward movement before the pull and you can hear the bar clink off the hole in the plates as it hits off it. You should be pulling the bar up into the plates before you start the pull.

• Advertisement

Dropped the weight on the deadlift. Form was sloppy on OHP so will use same weight next time.
    Happy enough with squat

• Registered Users Posts: 39,092 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

That was better with the deadlift, but there was still some slack there - but definitely not as much.
    Dropping the load will never hurt when you are trying to correct form. However in this case, it's more about setup than the actual lift. You've no tension on the bar before you lift. Some reps are better than others. That "clack" at the start of the lift is the bar hitting off the plates, it should already be tight against the plates before you pull. If there is gap between the bar and plates will make the noise whether there is 60kg or 160kg loaded up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRtfmoPxUHE

Up at 5.30 am and in there for 6am meant I wasn't firing on all cylinders so went for reps for a change.
    Also forgot a bottle of water. Would not recommend

Just on the barbell rows - and I noticed only because I was making sure I was conscious of bit when I was back doing them myself a few weeks back - when you pull it up, pull it back towards the hip.The reason being that if you row straight up, you'll see your bicep comes into it towards the top...you'll see the angle at the elbow narrows a good bit. That means less lat activation.

Pulling back towards the hip means the bicep doesn't really take over so there's more lat activation.

So like nearly drag it up the leg is it? That sort of way if I'm articulating that right

9bred4 wrote: »
    So like nearly drag it up the leg is it? That sort of way if I'm articulating that right

Yeah that sounds like a better way of putting it. So not straight up but like you said.

It's not that you're doing it wrong, by the way...just how to get more out of it. I've felt it more in my lats when I really made sure I was doing it

I did that this morning, I'll stick up the video after work. Felt it a bit more in the back alright rather than the biceps assisting

• Advertisement

Such a bad gym session today. Couldn't even squat at all without getting a pain in my knee from my form. Couldn't deadlift either. Shyte!

Advertisement