Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV3 HD Testing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

hatchman wrote: »
    But from other posters here said they are able to view some programs already in HD on TV3 ?

It is currently being tested. Here is the frequency if you want to have a look.

11.758 H, 29.500, 3/4, DVB-S2, QPSK (3881)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Any know if TV3 HD will be a separate channel or will it just replace TV3 SD on 103 on Sky ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 MadSham

obezyana wrote: »
    It is currently being tested. Here is the frequency if you want to have a look.

11.758 H, 29.500, 3/4, DVB-S2, QPSK (3881)

Do you need to have a valid HD Sub to tune in this frequency on a Sky HD Box?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 MadSham

MadSham wrote: »
    Do you need to have a valid HD Sub to tune in this frequency on a Sky HD Box?

I've just tried on my unsubscribed Sky HD Box using the above frequency and got nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I've installed it as other channel and I am yyold I need to upgrade subscription to view the channel even though I am an HD subscriber.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭hatchman

murpho999 wrote: »
    I've installed it as other channel and I am yyold I need to upgrade subscription to view the channel even though I am an HD subscriber.
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

murpho999 wrote: »

It's just testing at the moment. We won't know for sure what subscription you'll need to view it until it appears on the EPG.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

It's just testing at the moment. We won't know for sure what subscription you'll need to view it until it appears on the EPG.

Even so, how come some can see it?

Either way, not much on that channel. Expose would be even more pretentious in HD I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭satelliteman20

It was clearing for 2 or 3 hours yesterday morning and then went back to just showing the upgrade screen which is just saying find out how to upgrade your subscription to get this channel at sky viewing help. Com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Kalyke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Just got this from TV3

Good morning XXXXXXX,

HD will not be available on Saorview.

If you have SKY you will need a subscription through SKY.

If you have UPC you will need to sign up for the HD package on UPC.

Kind regards,
    TV3

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Kalyke wrote: »
    Just got this from TV3

Good morning XXXXXXX,

If you have SKY you will need a subscription through SKY.

If you have UPC you will need to sign up for the HD package on UPC.

Kind regards,
    TV3
    "A subscription through SKY"... Is that HD or any subscription I wonder?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

irishfeen wrote: »
    "A subscription through SKY"... Is that HD or any subscription I wonder?

Apart from some live sport

TV3 hd means nothing to me

ftakeith wrote: »
    Apart from some live sport

TV3 hd means nothing to me
    Rugby World Cup would be where I'm wanting it for..

"Hi .....

Unfortunately you will not access to HD on SKY without subscribing to their HD subscription.

Regards,
    TV3"

... ITV it is then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Kalyke wrote: »

This country is going backwards.

This country is going backwards.

If loads of people complain to the BAI about why a public service Irish HD
    channel needs a sky HD subscription that does get TV licence fee money to make Irish made programmes from funding by the BAI

It could change its process like RTE2hd

ftakeith wrote: »
    If loads of people complain to the BAI about why a public service Irish HD
    channel needs a sky HD subscription that does get TV licence fee money to make Irish made programmes from funding by the BAI

It could change its process like RTE2hd
    Yes I think it's time for people to start complaining - to have PSB's HD variation behind the paywall when people are paying the licence fee is disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭corm500

This is the reply I got

Hi xxxx,

TV3 HD will not be available on Saorview.

You will have access to TV3HD if you have a subscription through SKY or UPC.

Regards,
    TV3

Farewell TV3 hello ITV

I have asked the BAI for clarification on BAI Sound and Vision programming behind the paywall ... They said they would respond next week.

Does anyone know what programmes on TV3/UTVI have drawn money off this fund? Red Rock?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

I have asked the BAI for clarification on BAI Sound and Vision programming behind the paywall ... They said they would respond next week.

Does anyone know what programmes on TV3/UTVI have drawn money off this fund? Red Rock?
    The restaurant
    great irish bake off
    The holiday show
    titanic

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TV3_(Ireland)#Irish-produced_programming

Drama[edit]TV3 are not known for their drama. TV3 have commissioned a number of short and feature films with both the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland and the Irish Film Board. In 2004 they co-produced RTÉ Two's ill-fated 20 some-things drama The Big Bow Wow.[44]
    Since 2006 TV3 have looked towards home produced drama with the likes of Laura Windermere's Bag and Deception. They also took a look a two other drama serials The Guards and a revival of RTÉ's The Clinic however neither came to fruition.

In 2008, TV3 began to introduce its own homegrown produced drama series, the first being the one-off drama School Run. The drama was based on a school and was co-financed by TV3 and Broadcasting Authority of Ireland's Sound and Vision Fund it debuted in December 2008. In 2009, TV3 produced Laura Windermere's Bag a contemporary adaptation of the Oscar Wilde play Lady Windermere's Fan set on the south of Dublin.

TV3 would later produce The Guards[45] starring EmmeTt J. Scanlan, promoting it as an Irish version of the The Wire[46] it was scheduled to broadcast in summer 2010. When production began two episodes were produced and later an additional four episodes were added to the series. Despite promotion around the series, the programme never aired on TV3.

In 2011, TV3 broadcast RTL's Jack Taylor series.[47] In 2012 TV3 and ITV co-produced Titantic with funding from the BAI.[38] In 2013, TV3 premiered a new Irish drama Taylor Hill,[48] the show was later aired as 'Deception' which received mixed reviews.[49] As part of its 2012 autumn-winter season TV3 announced it was to air its first comedy show which follow three couples embarking on couples counselling in On the Couch, this show aired in early 2013.[50]
    TV3 will broadcast the film adaptation of the play The Guarantee, which explores the Irish Banking collapse in the late 2000s.

Factual programming[edit]In early 2008, TV3 made a commitment to producing factual programming. The first major documentary was Me and The Big C, charting different people's struggle with cancer; Inside and Out, a makeover show hosted by Sinead O' Carroll; Dirty Money: The Story of the Criminal Assets Bureau, a crime documentary fronted by Paul Williams and Diary of... which followed six people as they went through life-changing events.

The autumn 2008 schedule continued this trend, with several Irish produced series including Now Then: How the Irish Have Sex, CCTV Cities with Donal MacIntyre, Living With Murder, presented by Maura Derrane, and Corrupt – examining corruption in Ireland. Crunch Time was a three part documentary exploring Ireland's property crisis.

Many of TV3's factual programming is produced with the assistance of the licence fee through the BCI's Sound and Vision Fund or are produced in house by TV3's News and Information Department. The Cosmetic Surgery Show that looks at the world of cosmetic surgery presented by Dr. 90210 and Caroline Morahan was broadcast in 2009. TV3 introduced Paul Connolly Investigates a series of investigative journalist documentaries which focus on crime and deviance in Ireland.

TV3 announced a raft of TV documentaries in 2011 including The Irish of 9/11, The Hospice, Paul Connolly Investigates, Anatomy of a Car Crash, Challenging God, 24 Hours to Kill, The Day the Germans Bombed Dublin, The Rise and Fall of Fianna Fáil, Sex Lives, Hen Parties, Paddies in Paradise, Strictly Irish Dancing, Ireland's Disco Kids, Dejunk Your Life and Ireland's Top Teens.[38]
    In 2012 and 2013 TV3 introduced further factual programming including a Vincent Browne hosted series which questions the validity of God in 21st Century Ireland in Challenging God. New documentary series include The Estate, which looks at life in a low-income neighbourhood, In the Name of the Republic, Michaela: The Search for Justice, Sex and the Gaelteact.[58]
    As of 2014 TV3 has a new department Public Affairs & Documentary Unit which will broadcast a weekly investigative series. This took over factual programming from their News and Information Department.

If TV3/UTV broadcast even one BAI funded programme behind the HD paywall then an official complaint will be lodged.

It will be interesting to see what the BAI's stance on the matter is..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

If TV3/UTV broadcast even one BAI funded programme behind the HD paywall then an official complaint will be lodged.

It will be interesting to see what the BAI's stance on the matter is..

Since RTE1 HD isn't on Sky at all, UTV HD isn't on Saorview and TG4 HD is only available on UPC, why do you think they would take any different stance with TV3? Genuine question. It would seem pretty clear that public service doesn't extend to HD?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,732 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Since RTE1 HD isn't on Sky at all, UTV HD isn't on Saorview and TG4 HD is only available on UPC, why do you think they would take any different stance with TV3? Genuine question. It would seem pretty clear that public service doesn't extend to HD?

You cannot compare RTE One HD not being on Sky with TV3 HD being available only to those that will pay extra for it. RTE One HD is FTA to anyone who wants it terrestrially via Saorview and satellite via Saorsat.

TG4 HD should be avilable to everyone also.

But ... I'm watching RTÉ One HD at this very moment and I don't have to pay an extra €15... please don't get me wrong, I don't care whether TV3 HD is on Sky or Saorview. My problem lies with the fact that TV3 is a Public Service Broadcaster (PSB) this gives them excellent EPG positions and allows them draw down money from BAI funding (which comes from the licence fee)

Who do they think they are to charge us for watching programmes we pay for in HD...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

But ... I'm watching RTÉ One HD at this very moment and I don't have to pay an extra €15... please don't get me wrong, I don't care whether TV3 HD is on Sky or Saorview. My problem lies with the fact that TV3 is a Public Service Broadcaster (PSB) this gives them excellent EPG positions and allows them draw down money from BAI funding (which comes from the licence fee)

Who do they think they are to charge us for watching programmes we pay for in HD...

But you're not watching RTE 1 HD on Sky...

I agree that HD should be considered "standard" now, but my point is that complaining re TV3 not broadcasting in clear via HD will only get the response that they don't have to. You should be objecting to the overall fact that PS doesn't cover HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

This is a absolute scandal from TV3. To think that TV3 could be certain that Irish people would most certainly be ready to pay an extra €15 on top of their subscription to watch one their of already main TV channels in HD is living in a cloud cuckoo land.

They paying to rent a HD studio from Sony and they are not using it to it's full potential. If they owned that studio in the first place they wouldn't go through the HD route anyway for possibly another few years because of the costs involved in making the HD programmes. But the thing is though is that nearly all of their current programmes have the ability to be shown in HD and their SD channel will be mostly irrelevant by being on Saorview, Saorsat, Evision, UPC and Sky.

TV3 are planning to cater for HD only programmes from the TV3 HD studio including live sports events and independent productions from ITV Studios. TV3 SD will somehow be an exact replica of that with slightly different scheduling during the day when it will launch later in time for the World Cup. All that dead money could be reinvested in paying for HD and TV3 will somehow benefit to going to HD via FTA because of guaranteed higher viewership figures for nearly all of their programmes which higher popularity including & increased advertising revenue for the broadcaster.

This extra can negate the need for paying in SD because all of the TV providers have the equipment capable of going HD in the 1st place. There should be a case that all PSB stations here should replace their SD variations if it's technically possible & be provided FTA & go HD only on all TV platforms in the Republic of Ireland. This measure should include the discontinuation of Irish PSB's going behind a paywall being listed in the Broadcasting Act of 2009 and being free on a HD sub.

It is huge step to go that far but it can be done with a bit of leadership and detailed discussion between all of the PSB broadcasters and the TV providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Joo0

The HD deal with Sky would have been done months ago. UPC might not get away with having tv3 HD only on pay TV platforms with the competition authority sniffing around. HD may be a luxury but this shouldn't apply to psb yes if you want Sky Atlantic or sports in HD pay away but it's a bit much to have to pay to watch tv3 in HD. The sets that tv3 use are extremely ugly I wonder what HD will do for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭galtee boy

I know I'll get crucified for this, but the HD pack works out at 49 cent a day, not a lot extra, to get most of whatever decent channels are in your package in HD. I'm fairly certain that Sky are covering the entire cost of setting up TV3 in HD as are presumably UPC also, so of course they will want to recoup some of the cost, by going behind the HD sub paywall. Unfortunately, until HD entirely replaces SD and becomes the norm, subscription TV services will treat HD as a luxury and will charge accordingly, especially if they completely subsidise the HD version of a channel. Neither TV3, Sky or UPC are breaking any laws in this case.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement