Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scope painting.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

What type of scope you thinking of getting done Cass. Personally, I would not attempt this on a high end scope myself but that's because I wouldn't be the greatest craftsman and I'd be scared witless that I'd ruin it.

Lots of vids on youtube of guys doing DIY jobs with krylon and rustoleoum. I'd be sceptical about the lasting properties of cans of rustoleum or the likes but often a bit of wear on a paint job adds to the camo pattern.

Could just send it to someone who can duracoat it or cerakote it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,943 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Vegeta wrote: »
    What type of scope you thinking of getting done Cass. Personally, I would not attempt this on a high end scope myself but that's because I wouldn't be the greatest craftsman and I'd be scared witless that I'd ruin it.

Lots of vids on youtube of guys doing DIY jobs with krylon and rustoleoum. I'd be sceptical about the lasting properties of cans of rustoleum or the likes but often a bit of wear on a paint job adds to the camo pattern.

Could just send it to someone who can duracoat it or cerakote it.

Hydro graphics.co uk (google for correct web site. )

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

It's something i ordinarily wouldn't even consider and especially on a high end scope.

Just it's a thought playing around in my head. I may not even do it, but would like to hear from anyone that has. How they done it, how they find the finish, how it is for durability, etc.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

I'd be voting for a cerakote on something like this. I know that anything that I painted myself would look like I had painted it myself!

Saw this this evening: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=874746362616298&set=a.818557804901821.1073741828.100002428262584&type=1&theater are these rifles imported like this? Pity the bipod isn't done too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Id get it hydro dipped if it were me. At least with that it will have a clear coat of laquer on it aswell.

But been truthful. If it were me I wouldn't do it.

• Advertisement

Does hydro dipping leave a shiny or matte finish? Or can you get either?

Vegeta wrote: »
    Does hydro dipping leave a shiny or matte finish? Or can you get either?

Going by my rifle that came hydro dipped from the factory.It starts off more or less shiny and gets matte with use and age.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Going by my rifle that came hydro dipped from the factory.It starts off more or less shiny and gets matte with use and age.

Thinking on it I'd say it can come either way, my shotgun appears hydro dipped too but has always had a matte look. Maybe a rub of very fine sand paper takes that shine off it.

If I was doing my scope which is a middle of the road price wise,but top military use design,I'd deffo go hydro graphics.Simply to match it to the mossy oak cammo pattern.Have tried cammo tape and ghillie wrap and TBH it just looks utter cat.Had previously on it a Ebay cammo scope and it looked fine.Guess its what you want to live with.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Mine is wrapped. It's light window tinting basically.
    It's a sheet of camo paper basically and the gun is brushed with a type of adhesive glue and the wrap is applied and heated with a heat gun whilst being flattened by a flat rubber piece to flat out the creases.
    It's then left under a lamp to harden the glue and that's basically it.
    Same with scope but it's more trickier
    image_zpskxbf2tcd.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

Mine is wrapped. It's light window tinting basically.
    It's a sheet of camo paper basically and the gun is brushed with a type of adhesive glue and the wrap is applied and heated with a heat gun whilst being flattened by a flat rubber piece to flat out the creases.
    It's then left under a lamp to harden the glue and that's basically it.
    Same with scope but it's more trickier
    image_zpskxbf2tcd.jpg

I assume once you do this there's no going back

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

hexosan wrote: »
    I assume once you do this there's no going back

Well mine is already flaking off in certain parts so if it continues il be stripping it off t the original shape and colour

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭pm.

Looks great tho. Cass I have an old ns scope your welcome to that if you want to experiment

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Very generous offer lad, thanks.

TBH i never liked camo covered scopes. Either painted and definitely not in camo tape. Just the notion came into my head and thought i'd get the opinions of others that have been there rather than jump in blind or not do it out of "fear" something would go wrong.

My mate seen this thread, rang me and said two words "cop on". Subtle :D

Funny though i would have said the same myself a while back. Still i get the scope mounted and once on the look might be just fine as is. If not i can always tackle it later.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Video of how hydro graphics are done[Long and we get the idea within 5 stock:)
    s]

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Deaf git

I'd be iffy about dipping a scope in a water bath. Wouldn't like to be trying to do a warranty claim either at a later stage.
    The picture of the R15 on Remington's website has a plain black scope and it doesn't take from the gun at all. Compliments the black barrell nicely.

Must be another way of doing a scope..After all it would be no good if it wipes out all the numbers for magnification etc in the process too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,031 ✭✭✭clivej

Feel the FEAR and do it. Friends Ruger 10/22.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

clivej wrote: »
    Feel the FEAR and do it. Friends Ruger 10/22.

Not my cup of tea but cool stock

Advertisement