Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Android OS" using huge amounts of wifi data (70+ GB)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

GBX wrote: »
    Do you have Telegram Messenger installed? I read it shows as OS services even though the data is funnelled through the app?

I do, and it was suggested on page 1.

Two things, no way it could account for 80GB+ of data and I uninstalled it one night and left the phone idle, next morning it had still consumed an extra 5GB of data.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Have you checked the traffic stats on your router correspond with the stats on your phone. You may need to setup a laptop with connection sharing and connect to that to give you access to better stats, create a test environment

Have you checked the traffic stats on your router correspond with the stats on your phone. You may need to setup a laptop with connection sharing and connect to that to give you access to better stats, create a test environment

Good suggestion.
    I was half hoping that maybe there's some kind of reporting bug in the build of the OS that I'm on that cropped up in whatever unique environment I've created on my phone and I checked that last night in the hope that it was all a false alarm of sorts...

Keeping in mind that I've not really used my connection for any heavy downloads this month, just general internet usage and VPN to work, limited youtube etc then the numbers unfortunately stack up.
    Around 100GB of this 125 is being consumed by the phone.

The rapid deterioration of battery life backs this up as well.

356104.png

356105.png

Both this chart and the ones I had posted back on page 1 spike in mid July.

Creating a test environment will also give you direct access to the interface for better wireshark statistics, you'll see every single packet that goes to and from the phone

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Possibly a lot of work to end up with the same problem (i had it on my S5 as well)?
    Also, potential to brick the device puts me off it.

If you had this issue on the s5, what are you doing that's the same on both phones?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

This is one for Colombo.
    Columbo-columbo-23174371-1680-1050.jpg

colossus-x wrote: »
    This is one for Colombo.

Colombo?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,886 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

This is a weird one alright OP, if it was happening on your old phone aswell though then that rules out a problem with the OnePlus and narrows it down to your Gmail account, your router (unlikely the cause but have you done a full plugged out for 20 minutes reset since this started?), your ISP account trying to push something (again unlikely) and I suppose any accounts you set up on apps such as telegram messenger.

Are you absolutely 100% positive it was happening on the Samsung before you got the Oneplus?

There was a good suggestion a couple of pages back, disable 50% of your apps and see if its still sucking down data, then disable the other 50% if it isnt, then disable 50% of the suspect 50%, narrow it down that way. Tedious but it should be a foolproof way of doing it.

I would also recommend installing the Exodus ROM, its easy to do once rooted and there's not a single thing I dont like about it. Easy to revert anyway.

Thargor wrote: »
    This is a weird one alright OP, if it was happening on your old phone aswell though then that rules out a problem with the OnePlus and narrows it down to your Gmail account, your router (unlikely the cause but have you done a full plugged out for 20 minutes reset since this started?), your ISP account trying to push something (again unlikely) and I suppose any accounts you set up on apps such as telegram messenger.

Are you absolutely 100% positive it was happening on the Samsung before you got the Oneplus?

There was a good suggestion a couple of pages back, disable 50% of your apps and see if its still sucking down data, then disable the other 50% if it isnt, then disable 50% of the suspect 50%, narrow it down that way. Tedious but it should be a foolproof way of doing it.

I would also recommend installing the Exodus ROM, its easy to do once rooted and there's not a single thing I dont like about it. Easy to revert anyway.

Could you advise the best way to backup my current setup and point me to a clean/ stable exodus ROM?

What advantages does it offer? Is it less stable?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Could you advise the best way to backup my current setup and point me to a clean/ stable exodus ROM?

If you can access twrp backup in that it will save your nand. then copy that to your pc jsut in case.

• Advertisement

Its nothing major its just a bit more nippy and better battery life, I installed it because I was sick of the unreliable GPS performance I was getting from stock CM12, cleared it right up back to perfection. It also has a battery life extender mode that will get the phone to 72 hours life in a pinch, handy for me as I hike and camp a lot. Its really not a major upgrade or anything its just something to try when you have a bug like this or my GPS issue. Heres the main thread, the OP is all you need:

https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/rom-5-1-1-r8-official-ota-exodus-android-lollipop.278548/

I dont bother with backups I find they introduce bugs too often, I always start with a fresh wipe, maybe you should try the same?

Its nothing major its just a bit more nippy and better battery life, I installed it because I was sick of the unreliable GPS performance I was getting from stock CM12, cleared it right up back to perfection. It also has a battery life extender mode that will get the phone to 72 hours life in a pinch, handy for me as I hike and camp a lot. Its really not a major upgrade or anything its just something to try when you have a bug like this or my GPS issue. Heres the main thread, the OP is all you need:

https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/rom-5-1-1-r8-official-ota-exodus-android-lollipop.278548/

I dont bother with backups I find they introduce bugs too often, I always start with a fresh wipe, maybe you should try the same?

That looks like a late night/ weekend job.
    Will give it a lash. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

You have TWRP, so Nandroid backup is the choice.

I'm not sure why a different, custom ROM would improve matters, as regards your Google account and apps.

You could try the Nandroid Manager I suggested earlier, and a systematic restore of your apps to a completely Stock system, either to this custom ROM or indeed, a Stock rom, like logging on with no user apps, having also disabled Google backup and restore initially.

Ground zero, or more like year zero.

Its the weirdest phuckin thing I have ever encountered.....you have my sympathy!!

How do backups introduce bugs, unless you are backing up a bugged system?

Essentially, the backup should be of a good and well running system, which will save you when, inevitably, things go pear shaped.....as they do!!

In this case, the backup can be a good debugging tool, to try to discover exactly what in your system is causing this huge leak, to enable you to avoid the same thing again, and for the info of those interested parties here, who are puzzled and would like to discover what us causing this.

He is backing up a bugged system!

I dont like it, applying old settings to a new install, never sat right with me, never back up app data either, I like everything to be clean and new.

He is backing up a bugged system!

I dont like it, applying old settings to a new install, never sat right with me, never back up app data either, I like everything to be clean and new.

But I did mention that, in this case, as a debug tool to find the cause of this mysterious humongous data leak, by restoring the Nandroid systematically, utilising the Nandroid Manager app here:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.h3r3t1c.bkrestore

Are you saying you never back up a good device, running just as you want it, in case of loss, or being stolen, or just phuvked up?

That's why custom recoveries were invented, and you must have one to flash your custom ROM?

Honestly, I think it's bad advice.

There's for and against both lads, so sound advice and i appreciate all of your comments.

I am a technology professional but I have to say this could have the beating of me.
    At this point I've spent far more time on it than I should have and the solution is not any nearer.

I'm close to admitting defeat.

There's for and against both lads, so sound advice and i appreciate all of your comments.

I am a technology professional but I have to say this could have the beating of me.
    At this point I've spent far more time on it than I should have and the solution is not any nearer.

I'm close to admitting defeat.

Cheers man, but don't let it beat you. There is stuff to be learned, and people are with you, in spirit anyway.....

I worked in tech too, before retiring due to ill health, 5 years ago.

It's one of those bugs......which will always bug you forever, you know :)

Thank God for unlimited data plans nowadays, eh??

Try what I suggested. The only way you're going to figure it is by capturing all the packets. Setup connection sharing on a laptop and use wireshark to capture all the traffic to the single device connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭long_b

Any way you could run a sniffer on your network to see where the traffic is going ?

• Advertisement

Try what I suggested. The only way you're going to figure it is by capturing all the packets. Setup connection sharing on a laptop and use wireshark to capture all the traffic to the single device connected.

I need to do a bit if research, not something I have any expertise in. But I will try.

long_b wrote: »
    Any way you could run a sniffer on your network to see where the traffic is going ?

^ ^

Eh, wireshark..... :)

Just saw this, about your Nexus....
    Wiped.
    Rooted.
    Started from scratch and even with a temporary google account I was flaking through the data.

Put my apps and account back on it, all backups turned off, all syncing turned off, wiped my google photos account of every single video and image, wiped all internal storage on the phone.
    Disabled google+, google drive, google photos apps.
    Installed My Data Manager again so that I can see an hourly update of consumption on wifi.

Approx usage is 250 - 300 MB per hour when the phone is in use, same when it's idle.

This is killing my battery life and destroying wifi bandwidth for every other device in the house.

Interestingly I have a Nexus 7 with stock android, same google account, all syncing turned on and it's used approx 10 MB of data over the past month.

I am Jack's utter confusion.

356100.png

That is just unbelievable....

Of course it just proves it's something specific and common to your old and new phones, as you are, or were, restoring stuff which you backed up, or opted bto allow to be backed up, on your old phone.

I'd say, probably you know this, but whatever you don't have or use on your Nexus, therein lies the culprit......

starting the bleeding obvious, I know!!

It really rules out anything local network wise?

Also, no problem on mobile data, that needs to be investigated as to what you have set to only use WiFi, and not use mobile data.

And, just to be sure, does this happen with WiFi hotspots, hotels, airport, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Have you tried a different sim card from a different mobile operator. Maybe there's an issue with it?

I know you say its wifi related. but maybe a faulty sim is causing you an issue?

Just to try something different.

Stokolan wrote: »
    Have you tried a different sim card from a different mobile operator. Maybe there's an issue with it?

I know you say its wifi related. but maybe a faulty sim is causing you an issue?

Just to try something different.

or just take the sim out!!

or put the phone in aeroplane mode, then reconnect wifi....to ensure no radio is operating.

I'd also give the phone a static IP, one outside your router's DHCP IP pool.

And note your phones MAC address.

Maybe use a public DNS, like Googles, instead of your providers.

For wireshark.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

Sorry if this has been covered before but when you did your total reset and added a different temp google account did you test to see what was happening on wi-fi before you actually added the temp google account? Was it still sucking then?

Anyway again sorry if this has been covered but there is an app called DroidWall which you can use to block network access on a per app basis either on wifi only, mobile data only, or both.

Choose blacklist on the top and block Google Play Store , Linux Kernel, Google Backup Transport, Google Services Framework etc.

Disable on wifi and 3g first and if you find the culprit, re-enable on 3g.

Remember to press "apply rules" and "enable firewall" in app settings after making your selections. Test it on some other random app like Facebook to be sure its working properly.

A pic of what the app looks like on my phone:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7TIuLbg2q8ATHNmZEdYbGNCRnc/view?usp=sharing

cNjQ9rx.png

Just another App I feel may be useful on the device which is misbehaving.....

Network Log

Some screenshots from my phone:

Screenshot_2015-07-24-13-26-15.png

Screenshot_2015-07-24-13-26-22.png

Screenshot_2015-07-24-13-27-11.png

Screenshot_2015-07-24-13-27-19.png

Screenshot_2015-07-24-13-27-53.png

Hopefully this will help....you need root, but you are rooted?

That app will most likely tell him what he already knows, that Android OS is using all the data

That app will most likely tell him what he already knows, that Android OS is using all the data

OK, I got ya.....

but looking for something on the specific device...which will capture packets for inspection...

Maybe this app?

Packet Capture

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

I agree with mass_debater, the best way to proceed with this is doing a packet capture at the access point. Following his advice, creating a hotspot on a PC which has Wireshark running and sharing the internet connection will give you all the info you need.

Earlier I suggested Fiddler2 for the same job, it might be a little easier to work with for someone unfamiliar (like me) with Wireshark as Fiddler hides all the protocol level traffic and only displays HTTP traffic.

Advertisement