Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Android OS" using huge amounts of wifi data (70+ GB)

Options
  • 20-07-2015 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I recently changed from a Samsung Galaxy S5 to a OnePlus One.
    Before the switch I noticed "Android OS" using huge amounts of wifi data but I assumed it was a bad setting on the old phone and I knew I was changing it so I didn't bother checking any further.

Fast forward to new phone and I notice it has used over 70 GB in data on wifi over the last week alone.

I have syncing/ backup turned off for dropbox, google photos and everything else I can think of.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what else I should check?

355796.png

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

Hi,

I found this app for you. I haven't used it myself. It should be able to tell you which app is using up the data in more detail so you can disable it.

My Data Manager : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mobidia.android.mdm&hl=en

70 GB is an incredibly huge amount of data to be using and especially odd that it appears to be something going on in the background. Let us know what it was when you find out : )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

colossus-x wrote: »
    Hi,

I found this app for you. I haven't used it myself. It should be able to tell you which app is using up the data in more detail so you can disable it.

My Data Manager : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mobidia.android.mdm&hl=en

70 GB is an incredibly huge amount of data to be using and especially odd that it appears to be something going on in the background. Let us

know what it was when you find out : )
    Wouldn't that app just tell me that android OS is responsible?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Do you use the Telegram app by any chance?

Yes, why?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

There seems to be a bug in it thats showing up high data usage under the Android OS label

https://github.com/DrKLO/Telegram/issues/1089

• Advertisement

There seems to be a bug in it thats showing up high data usage under the Android OS label

https://github.com/DrKLO/Telegram/issues/1089

Mine seems to be the opposite though.
    I have the problem on wifi, but not on mobile data.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

Just have a read here:

http://android.stackexchange.com/questions/40446/why-is-android-os-uploading-so-much-data

There may be something in the Google Backup causing this.

You could turn it off temporarily under Backup and Reset in Settings, and Android Settings in your Google Dashboard.

https://www.google.com/settings/dashboard

Wouldn't that app just tell me that android OS is responsible?

I said I never used it myself. It wouldn't be much of an android app if all it told you was that android was responsible.

Just install it , it's free and see what it tells you.

Everytime I plug my phone in this thing is pushing or pulling data.

colossus-x wrote: »
    Hi,

70 GB is an incredibly huge amount of data to be using and especially odd that it appears to be something going on in the background. Let us know what it was when you find out : )

Thanks for the suggestion.
    App just tells me Android OS is responsible so it's adding nothing unfortunately.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the suggestion.
    App just tells me Android OS is responsible so it's adding nothing unfortunately.

Oh right ya I did install it just to see whats going on. Obviously the OS is made up of many smaller constituent parts and I though it would give a breakdown of those parts and it doesn't so ya that app is useless to you as it doesn't go into enough detail.

Anyone else have a similar issue?

Going to uninstall telegram this evening when charging on wifi and see if it makes a difference.

Anyone else have a similar issue?

Going to uninstall telegram this evening when charging on wifi and see if it makes a difference.

Didya try the Google Backup thing? Turning it off make any difference?

Didya try the Google Backup thing? Turning it off make any difference?

Tried it. No joy.

Tried uninstalling telegram last night and the device still used another 5 GB of data overnight.

Not sure wtf to do at this point, it happened on my S5 and on this device so I'm reluctant to factory reset the device as it will probably happen again.
    I need to find out what is using all this data.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 porcupine3

Hi,

My phone uses 5.0.1 (Lollipop) and when I go into Settings>Data usage and scroll down I can see a breakdown of the date usage per app.
    Have you tried that already?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,469 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Is there an OTA update that it's trying (and failing) to pull down?

Go into settings/about/software updates and try and force a manual update (if there is one).

Any torrent apps installed?

porcupine3 wrote: »
    Hi,

My phone uses 5.0.1 (Lollipop) and when I go into Settings>Data usage and scroll down I can see a breakdown of the date usage per app.
    Have you tried that already?

Thanks, that was how I discovered that Android OS is using the data in the first place.

355956.png

Mr E wrote: »
    Is there an OTA update that it's trying (and failing) to pull down?

Go into settings/about/software updates and try and force a manual update (if there is one).

Any torrent apps installed?

No torrent apps installed.
    I'm on the latest version available for my device 5.0.2 - no updates available.
    This was also happening on my S5 so I don't think it relates to the handset, it has to have something to do with my account.

At least it's wifi and not mobile data but the volume of data is crazy at this point, not to mention impact to battery life.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭petrolcan

Install wakelock detector and let it run for a while. It should show you what is running in the background and using battery which may help identify the culprit.

• Advertisement

petrolcan wrote: »
    Install wakelock detector and let it run for a while. It should show you what is running in the background and using battery which may help identify the culprit.

Assume I'd need to root the device first?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,469 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

WLD works without root. Good idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭redfacedbear

I had a similar problem on my M8 - 8gb in one 24 hour period! I disabled the Google+ app and that solved it for me.

Mr E wrote: »
    WLD works without root. Good idea!

App says it needs root. Will try without it.

I had a similar problem on my M8 - 8gb in one 24 hour period! I disabled the Google+ app and that solved it for me.

Is it possible to disable a stock app? I'll give that a try. Thanks.

Is it possible to disable a stock app? I'll give that a try. Thanks.

Yeah, in App Info, Disable button.

Screenshot_2015-07-22-16-25-27.png

You can also stop Auto Backup in the G+ App ....sorry, it's in Photos, Settings, 1st Option....Backup & Sync.....

Turn that off....

Yeah, in App Info, Disable button.

Screenshot_2015-07-22-16-25-27.png

You can also stop Auto Backup in the G+ App ....sorry, it's in Photos, Settings, 1st Option....Backup & Sync.....

Turn that off....

Thanks, tried that and within an hour of connecting to my home wifi another 1.5 GB had been consumed by Android OS.

Don't know where to go from here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭AstraOwner

Disable half of your apps for an hour. If the problem persists disable half of what's left. If it doesn't switch to the other side. And so on and so on. You won't be too long narrowing it down and finding the culprit.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭petrolcan

Is your phone carrier branded at all? If so, disable all installed carrier apps and see if that makes a difference.

• Advertisement

petrolcan wrote: »
    Is your phone carrier branded at all? If so, disable all installed carrier apps and see if that makes a difference.

No. Oneplus one direct from manufacturer.

Advertisement