Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staff giving away free food

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

duffman13 wrote: »
    Spot on, I'm aware of that but if he or hopefully another manager is presented with the evidence as listed by the OP it would warrant a warning. Usually when I do these I'm not judge and jury ie other manager passes the disciplinary stage to me or vice versa

It's been a nightmare for me in anywhere I've worked before dropping out and becoming a lay about again! HR/Area managers always want their input into the decision. Telling them to feck off was always a great pleasure of mine! At least HR could cloak it in 'consulting'. AM's it was always he's useless get rid of him. Poor sod almost always had a muppet as a direct line supervisor.

obplayer wrote: »
    Me too, I have run a small team in a supermarket so I have an idea what is involved.

But what is BRL?

Barrack Room Lawyer - a derogatory term for what we're all doing at the moment. Some with more insight than others. It's an army expression for the lad that thinks he knows all the regs but usually doesn't.

Goes with my other favourite elevenarife man. Always has to one up - you've been to tenarife, he's been to elevenerife! :pac:

Suspend this guy in the morning first thing regardless of what other people are advising. I'm speaking as an employer that's been down this road a few times.
    Don't wait for him to turn up just call him at 9am and do it.
    This guy has been hadling cash he's not to walk into your business again.

Point taken but there is no allegation of cash handling issues. Given the guy is doing it 'open and notoriously' to use a phrase not used nearly enough :pac: I'd say it's a case not knowing any better.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 374 ✭✭Jjiipp79

I would think you need to let this person go. So the give the warnings and then terminate.. Make sure u do it all above board and in the right manner.

And I think if you are in the position to fire this person you should know what to do. The fact that you're on boards asking advice leads me to think you also should be fired.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Graham wrote: »
    What is the limit on staff theft before it becomes a problem? €2.50 for coffee, €7 for lunch, €15 for dinner, €25 cab fare for the trip home, a weekend away because it's been a tough week?

I would be surprised if the sum total of his alleged theft, is more than 1-2 euro a day worth of goods :coffee and a sandwich.

It's a completely different matter to having his hands in the till, and not one that I personally would break sweat over.

But it's the op's business not mine - run it how you see fit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,693 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OP - are you also an employee in a larger business? If so, consult your manager, which is where you should always take questions like this.

If not, ie if it's a small business and you are the owner, then please report this post, and one of the mods will move it over to Entrepreneurship and Business Management, who may have better advice for you.

Very roughly speaking, You have some risks to weigh up here: the chance that the guy will sue you if you get it wrong X the likely size of his payout, vs the cost of solicitor time to get it right.

Remember - we are all offering opinions here. But they are just that, opinions of randoms on the interwebz, not legal advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

paska wrote: »
    I have a staff member giving free coffee to his friend and not putting it through the til. i also have the same man on video making food for himself and taking it into the back kitchen to eat it.
    Do you have proof that he didn't pay for it? Go through the correct procedures, as there's no reason why he couldn't turn around and claim that he paid the person who said they witnessed the person stealing. Otherwise he could sue for false accusation, false sacking, defamation of good character, etc, etc.

You'll find the ones who break the rules often know the law better than you do.

As said, get legal advice. If part of a large chain, ask their solicitor, otherwise get one yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭obplayer

the_syco wrote: »
    Do you have proof that he didn't pay for it? Go through the correct procedures, as there's no reason why he couldn't turn around and claim that he paid the person who said they witnessed the person stealing. Otherwise he could sue for false accusation, false sacking, defamation of good character, etc, etc.

You'll find the ones who break the rules often know the law better than you do.

As said, get legal advice. If part of a large chain, ask their solicitor, otherwise get one yourself.

Please listen to this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

//MOD

What you need is advice from a solicitor or you'll open yourself to all types of claims for even one minor mistake.

Thread closed as boards do not give legal advise.

//MOD

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement