Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sanctity of Life (Abortion Megathread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,021 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

hinault wrote: »
    Tell that to the authorities conducting investigations in several American states.

As I've posted several times now, yes more than a dozen states have launched investigations, half of which are in states where no abortions are even performed by Planned Parenthood, and 1 where they found the most minor of infractions which are still in legal dispute by planned parenthood (Investigation claimed they performed a 2nd trimester abortion without license, 1 count; 1 count of poor recordkeeping of disposed fetal remains; 2 other counts just as minor)

No investigation has turned up a smoking gun that says they are doing anything illegal, in fact Planned Parenthood gets audited on several regular bases (such as a regular federal audit, and state audits, and medicaid and medicare audits). None of those have turned up anything, either.

An investigation is not a suggestion of guilt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

What exactly is in the videos that is newsworthy?

Several things are newsworthy.

First thing is that a series of videos exist.
    This hasn't been reported by the Irish Mainstream Media.

Second thing is that a series of videos have been released .
    This hasn't been reported by the Irish Mainstream Media

Third thing is that the contents of the released series of videos contain statements made by Planned Parenthood personnel by their own volition.

Fourth thing is that several states in America have launched an investigation to ascertain the veracity of the evidence disclosed in the released series of video tapes.

Irish Mainstream Media news blackout in reporting about the content of these videos confirms the bias that exists therein.

First of all calling anything mainstream is bullarky. What outlet would you prefer report it that shows some clear conspiratorial bias, in a country that opposes abortion? The Irish Times not count? Perhaps the Sunday Independent? I'm sure the airwaves have more important things to bicker about than a developing situation in the states with no evidence of any wrongdoing.

I consider Boards.ie a mainstream source of information in Ireland. Its certainly discussing it. How about they Rayjoe'?

Finally, the reason the phrase "The Mainstream Media" is bullsplat is because it is:

"THIS IS WHAT THE MAINSTREAM MEDIA WONT TELL YOU ABOUT" - Fox News

what is mainstream and what isnt depends entirely on your own perspective. Perhaps you should stop reading garbage tabloids with booby pictures if you want real news?

Overheal wrote: »
    I consider Boards.ie a mainstream source of information in Ireland

:D

:D

Laugh it up. It's as mainstream as RTE, which I spent all of 100 hours watching in 8 years of living in Ireland. It's about as mainstream as the faucet to my kitchen sink as far as I am concerned. Again, its all a matter of your perspective and I argue if you think the media isn't reporting it you rely on the wrong media: the broadsheets seem well capable of raising the issues you seem to care about.

• Advertisement

Laugh it up. It's as mainstream as RTE, which I spent all of 100 hours watching in 8 years of living in Ireland. It's about as mainstream as the faucet to my kitchen sink as far as I am concerned. Again, its all a matter of your perspective and I argue if you think the media isn't reporting it you rely on the wrong media: the broadsheets seem well capable of raising the issues you seem to care about.

Well free to supply links from the Irish media ie television, radio, print which are reporting this story to this thread.

And after you do then we can debate whether or not that coverage constitutes mainstream reportage.

Well free to supply links from the Irish media ie television, radio, print which are reporting this story to this thread.

And after you do then we can debate whether or not that coverage constitutes mainstream reportage.

No - because it has nothing to do with this topic. Why would I willfully help you drag this thread off the rails? Rebutted your argument, you're still not happy: You can take it to Conspiracy Theories if you want to carry on that tangent, because I'm done engaging it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

Several things are newsworthy.

First thing is that a series of videos exist.
    This hasn't been reported by the Irish Mainstream Media.

The existence of a series of videos is not newsworthy in and of itself. That would be dependent on the content.
    Second thing is that a series of videos have been released .
    You can't have the existence of the videos and the release of the videos as two separate points. How can any media, never mind Irish mainstream media, report on videos that aren't known to exist yet?
    Third thing is that the contents of the released series of videos contain statements made by Planned Parenthood personnel by their own volition.

Because those statements (which you conveniently omit yourself) are not newsworthy. At least you've finally gotten to the actual content, which is the only thing anyone could reasonably expect a report to be based upon.
    Fourth thing is that several states in America have launched an investigation to ascertain the veracity of the evidence disclosed in the released series of video tapes.

No evidence was disclosed in the videos. The investigation is into the accusations of illegal activity being made by the people responsible for the tapes. Investigations which have thus far revealed nothing worthy of reportage in Irish media. Lest we forget, this is all happening in the US, Irish media tends to report on Irish or international news.

There have been no reports (or few, I can't say for sure there has been none at all) because there is nothing to report, no matter how fervently you may wish there to be.

No - because it has nothing to do with this topic.

Or more honestly, there are no sources capable of being linked.

I understand your difficulty.

How exactly does one link to radio, television or print?

• Advertisement

I understand your difficulty.
    I can't link to previously aired radio and television broadcast, sorry, its only 2015. :)

I can't link to previously aired radio and television broadcast, sorry, its only 2015. :)

I can, but you can't?

Is that your excuse? You're starting to waste my time.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4417959105001/the-growing-planned-parenthood-controversy/?#sp=show-clips

Feel free to supply links from the Irish media ie television, radio, print which are reporting this story to this thread.

And after you do then we can debate whether or not that coverage constitutes mainstream reportage

I can, but you can't?

Is that your excuse?

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4417959105001/the-growing-planned-parenthood-controversy/?#sp=show-clips

Feel free to supply links from the Irish media ie television, radio, print which are reporting this story to this thread.

And after you do then we can debate whether or not that coverage constitutes mainstream reportage

When was the debate about whether mainstream reportage in Irish media was needed?

• Moderators Posts: 51,733 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

I can, but you can't?

Is that your excuse? You're starting to waste my time.

MOD NOTE

Please stop derailing the thread with this off-topic mainstream media tangent.

Thanks for your attention.

If you can read this, you're too close!

Delirium wrote: »
    MOD NOTE

Please stop derailing the thread with this off-topic mainstream media tangent.

Thanks for your attention.

Worry not. There are no links that can be linked.

I don't see the problem with stating that there is a lack of Irish media reportage concerning the Planned Parenthood videos and what they contain.

I won't labour that particular point any further.

And I'll abide by your instruction not to mention this further in this thread.

It seems that the pro-life movement has grown feet,

http://www.catholicsun.org/2015/08/26/planned-parenthood-protests-draw-4700-throughout-state/

“The truth is that Planned Parenthood could not make one [dime] from the sale of tissue that was just a clump of cells unless what they are harvesting is, in fact, human organs for sale. And if the organs are human, they must have come from a human being … created equal, but not yet born.”

Ted Cruz, among many things, is head of the (wait for it): United States Senate Judiciary Subcommittee on Oversight, Agency Action, Federal Rights and Federal Courts. While I can't say I'm aligned with his campaign politics, his opinion isn't unmeritable, and he has claimed several legal breaches are evident in the videos: http://www.christianpost.com/news/ted-cruz-planned-parenthood-officials-committed-multiple-felonies-worthy-of-10-year-jail-time-143698/
    As the eight released videos have purportedly shown Planned Parenthood officials and representatives of fetal tissue procurement companies that partner with Planned Parenthood admitting various details about aborted baby parts procurement practices that could be in defiance of federal law, Cruz contended that the videos should be enough to warrant opening a U.S. Justice Department investigation into Planned Parenthood's practices.
    In all likelihood that level of involvement wouldn't have been possible without the 8th video:
    The latest video released Tuesday purports to show Cate Dyer, the CEO of former Planned Parenthood partner StemExpress, discussing how clinics have no trouble conducting "profitable" fetal tissue transactions.

"It is a federal crime, a felony with up to 10 years jail time, for anyone to sell body parts of unborn children for a profit," Cruz, a former associate deputy attorney general at the U.S. Department of Justice, asserted.

As the videos have also discussed ways in which the abortion doctors can conduct abortions in order to preserve vital organs like hearts and livers for research, Cruz also explained that adapting the approved abortion procedure in order to harvest organs is also illegal.

"At a very minimum, we should not be providing your tax dollars and my tax dollars to fund a nationwide industry that is taken the lives of unborn children across this country, harvesting their organs and selling them for profit," Cruz said. "Preaching from the pulpit biblical values on life and comparing those values and the teachings of Jesus to this nationwide business that is trafficking the body parts of unborn children is a message that needs to be heard across the country."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭robdonn

“The truth is that Planned Parenthood could not make one [dime] from the sale of tissue that was just a clump of cells unless what they are harvesting is, in fact, human organs for sale. And if the organs are human, they must have come from a human being … created equal, but not yet born.”

Hi, I really like you and I'd love it if we could go out some time together. As a token of my affection I bought you a bouquet of flowers...

butterfly-flower-seed-packets.jpg

?

?

Sorry, it was a response to the Bill Montgomery quote, not anything you were saying.

http://news.yahoo.com/pope-allow-priests-forgive-abortion-during-holy-100729691.html
    Pope Francis will give all priests discretion to formally forgive women who have had abortions and seek absolution during the Roman Catholic Church's upcoming Holy Year, in the Argentine pontiff's latest move towards a more open and inclusive church.

• Advertisement

Kinda flies in the face of everyone on thread that argued Christianity provided an unyielding moral compass...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

So with the the Pope being "gods" spokesperson on earth and he speaks for "god" this basically means that "god" is ok with abortion.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

So with the the Pope being "gods" spokesperson on earth and he speaks for "god" this basically means that "god" is ok with abortion.

For this year anyway, after that it's back to baby murdering harlots.

eviltwin wrote: »
    For this year anyway, after that it's back to baby murdering harlots.

Amazing how the church changes it's mind on so many things, the bible is the word of "god" but mere humans (who presume to know the mind of this "god) can decide that he was wrong all along and change things.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

Kinda flies in the face of everyone on thread that argued Christianity provided an unyielding moral compass...

I don't think so? He hasn't altered the fact that abortion is a sin that incurs latae sententiae excommunication, only that a bishop must absolve those who are excommunicated by it; for the duration of the Jubilee a priest may also absolve them. It doesn't alter the Church's stance on the sin, but (temporarily) on the sin's remission.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Absolam wrote: »
    I don't think so? He hasn't altered the fact that abortion is a sin that incurs latae sententiae excommunication, only that a bishop must absolve those who are excommunicated by it; for the duration of the Jubilee a priest may also absolve them. It doesn't alter the Church's stance on the sin, but (temporarily) on the sin's remission.

Why forgive people this year and not next year? Where is the logic there?

And what about all of the poor women who are spending an eternity in "hell" because they refused to forgive women before?

Why does the US president pardon a turkey every year? Just for show.

Pope Francis is the best PR man the RCC has had since John Paul II.

robdonn wrote: »
    Why does the US president pardon a turkey every year? Just for show.

Pope Francis is the best PR man the RCC has had since John Paul II.

I hear he is doing a guitar solo on the next Justin Beiber single to get the young uns back to the church.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Absolam wrote: »

It smacks majorly of let's make this up as we go along.

Advertisement