Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sanctity of Life (Abortion Megathread)

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 51,753 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

robp wrote: »
    Its astonishing that you would use the "had to" for something you yourself would celebrate as a choice and purely elective. And then you accuse people of wanting to harass.

Huh? Are you suggesting she could get an abortion in Ireland?

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

Delirium wrote: »
    Its astonishing that you would use the "had to" for something you yourself would celebrate as a choice and purely elective. And then you accuse people of wanting to harass.

Huh? Are you suggesting she could get an abortion in Ireland?
    Such women do not have to get abortions. Sadly some (acting against their interest) do, often due to external pressure or misinformation.

Such women do not have to get abortions. Sadly some (acting against their interest) do, often due to external pressure or misinformation.

My use of 'had to' was in reference having to travel to get an abortion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

tommy2bad wrote: »
    It's an interesting development in the repeal the 8th campaign.
    I'm not sure how I feel about it, it's hard to see how this is informative or contributes to the debate in anyway other than as a stunt. On the other hand it is a way of reducing the argument back to what it is really about, real people in a situation they didn't seek and which is being made worse by our laws.
    I think many people would say that's not what the argument is about though, so the story is actually about diverting the argument from what it is really about; killing real people just because they're in in a situation they didn't seek. Different points of view I guess.

Between 2010 and 2014, the rate of deaths due to complications as a result of pregnancy have doubled in Texas. This dramatic rise in deaths due to pregnancy - which leaves Texas with a maternal mortality rate unseen elsewhere in the developed world - coincides with the 2011 slashing of the Texan family planning budget by 66%, along with drastically reducing the number of women's health clinics within its borders.
    Also interesting to note that whilst (according to the article) Texas' mortality rate increased from 17.7 to 35.8 per 100,000 births, the US overall increased from 18.8 to 23.8, and the journal the article is based on says that the mechanism used to collect the information has changed and is incomplete, muddying the data. Ireland in the same timeframe increased from 7 to 8 (worth pointing out that the Worldbank date shows the US stayed at 14 from 2010 to 2014, and the CIA world factbook says the US went from 21 in 2010 to 14 in 2015). Like the authors of the quoted article, I don't think I'd go further than saying this is more than coincidental, and I would definitely be wary of saying it implies causation. But certainly, it's a good indicator for those posters who have said they don't feel safe carrying a child in Ireland due to the existing legislation; statistically Ireland offers a better chance of survival for pregnant women than both the UK and the US. Personally I'd ascribe that to our much maligned but underrated public health service rather than abortion legislation (and the fact that in Texas health services such as birth control, cancer screenings, well-woman exams and preventative healthcare for poor people were cut, rather than abortions), but since it was introduced in an abortion context.....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Who are you to decide whats in the best interest of a women? I think the women is better placed to make a decision in relation to what is in her interest then you are to be fair.

Don't you trust a women to be able to make an adult decision? It doesn't sound like you do,

Cabaal wrote: »

Who are you to decide whats in the best interest of a women? I think the women is better placed to make a decision in relation to what is in her interest then you are to be fair.

Don't you trust a women to be able to make an adult decision? It doesn't sound like you do,
    The child doesn't get a choice. We don't get to decide what is human life and what is not.
    If pro abortion folk had consistent arguments on why it is ok to take away human life with abortion that appealed to principles, not consequentialism it might not spark so much resistance. They deal with with this with whataboutery and evasion. Take Colm O Gorman for example, he consistently refuses to answer when life starts.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I'm not sure how I feel about it, it's hard to see how this is informative or contributes to the debate in anyway other than as a stunt. On the other hand it is a way of reducing the argument back to what it is really about, real people in a situation they didn't seek and which is being made worse by our laws.

I suppose it serves to remind us that a lot of Irish women (~ 3,500 per year) travel to the UK for abortions, and that Irish abortion legislation really only affects those too sick or too poor to travel, which many of us would consider discrimination against more vulnerable members of out society.

There's an informative paper on Contraception and crisis pregnancy in Ireland published by the HSE here which provides a wealth of information on abortion rates among Irish women, free from media hype and bias. With regards to attitudes to abortion in differing circumstances, the following tables are relevant;

394897.JPG

394898.JPG

The recommendations of the study are improved sex education and awareness and availability of all contraception options (including emergency contraception) in order to try to reduce the number of crisis pregnancies and hence the need for abortion in the first instance. As things stand, 21% of crisis pregnancies among Irish women end in abortion.

smacl wrote: »
    As things stand, 21% of crisis pregnancies among Irish women end in abortion.

We should not equate abortion with unplanned pregnancies. In the UK four in 10 pregnancies ending in abortion were planned or ambivalent. The idea that abortion is necessary is repugnant.

Johnson J. Third National Survey of Sexual Attitudes and Lifestyles (Natsal)

Irish abortion legislation really only affects those too sick or too poor to travel, which many of us would consider discrimination against more vulnerable members of out society.
    free from media hype and bias.

:D

• Advertisement

We should not equate abortion with unplanned pregnancies. In the UK four in 10 pregnancies ending in abortion were planned or ambivalent.

Johnson J. Third National Survey of Sexual Attitudes and Lifestyles (Natsal)

The HSE report differentiates between unplanned pregnancy and crisis pregnancy. Changing circumstances for the mother, such as health, or condition of the foetus (e.g. fatal abnormality) could easily turn a planned pregnancy into a crisis pregnancy.
    The idea that abortion is necessary is repugnant.

As per the tables previously linked, you would seem to be in a rather small minority in holding that opinion, where 89% of those surveyed believe choice of abortion should be an option in some circumstances, and 45% in any circumstances.

@Absolam, you think the HSE report is biased or influenced by media hype?

@Absolam, you think the HSE report is biased or influenced by media hype?
    Nope, I think your presentation of abortion legislation really only affecting those too sick or too poor to travel, which many of us would consider discrimination against more vulnerable members of out society, is both hype and bias.

Absolam wrote: »
    Nope, I think your presentation of abortion legislation really only affecting those too sick or too poor to travel, which many of us would consider discrimination against more vulnerable members of out society, is both hype and bias.

You're misrepresenting me so, as the only thing I claimed to be free of bias and media was the linked HSE report. Anything on this thread, your own posts included, that is either linked media coverage or personal opinion is liable to contain bias and hype in varying measures.

Going back to our unbiased study, with relation to attitudes to abortion in Ireland, 89% of those surveyed would give the woman a choice of abortion where her health as at risk (as opposed to her life being at risk). This implies that the constitution placing equal value on the life of the pregnant woman and the life of the unborn runs contrary to the will of the people.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Going back to our unbiased study, with relation to attitudes to abortion in Ireland, 89% of those surveyed would give the woman a choice of abortion where her health as at risk (as opposed to her life being at risk). This implies that the constitution placing equal value on the life of the pregnant woman and the life of the unborn runs contrary to the will of the people.

I would certainly agree and even for those that dispute this the best solution is to put the matter to a vote for the people to decide.

If you believe the HSE report is wrong then you have zip all to worry about because clearly a vote to change it would fail. We should however put it to a vote as there is clearly enough demand and we are a democratic country where we get to vote on matters at the end of the day.

The 8th wouldn't be the only thing that the people want/wanted changed in our constitution at the end of the day, the document is not set in stone and only a fool thinks it should be.

You're misrepresenting me so, as the only thing I claimed to be free of bias and media was the linked HSE report. Anything on this thread, your own posts included, that is either linked media coverage or personal opinion is liable to contain bias and hype in varying measures.
    Not at all, I never said you claimed not to be hyping your statement, or that it wasn't biased. I only pointed out that it's amusing that you'd highlight these features, within your own post which is so obviously hyperbolic and biased.

Hence :D

Going back to our unbiased study, with relation to attitudes to abortion in Ireland, 89% of those surveyed would give the woman a choice of abortion where her health as at risk (as opposed to her life being at risk).
    Interestingly, whilst I haven't yet the whole study yet, this did rather jump out at the beginning:
    "Attitudes towards specific circumstances where abortion is permissible also remained very stable. For instance, the majority of men and women (over 85%) in both ICCP-2010 and ICCP-2003 agree that a woman should have the choice to have an abortion if the pregnancy is a result of rape or incest, or endangers her health or life. "
    Which would appear to support your statement. The more detailed statement on Page 131 says:
    "• More adults believe that abortion is permissible under certain circumstances (44%), compared with ICCP-2003 (39%); however, attitudes regarding the specific circumstances in which abortion is permissible remained very stable over the seven year period.
    • The most common circumstances when an abortion is deemed permissible is when the pregnancy seriously endangers a woman’s life (95%) or health (89%), or when the pregnancy is the result of rape (88%) or incest (86%)
    ", so there's a certain amount of bias evident just by leaving out the word 'serious' when you say "89% of those surveyed would give the woman a choice of abortion where her health as at risk (as opposed to her life being at risk)". In fact, 89% of those surveyed felt an abortion is permissible when the pregnancy seriously endangers a woman's health. There's no indication that, for instance, those surveyed would lean towards the UK course that permits abortion on the basis that every pregnancy endangers a woman's health.
    This implies that the constitution placing equal value on the life of the pregnant woman and the life of the unborn runs contrary to the will of the people.
    Well, obviously the Constitution confers an equal right to life on the unborn with their mothers; it is silent on the subject of value. And the survey didn't ask whether the unborn in those circumstances should have a right to life, it only asked if, in the event of a serious threat to the health of the mother, it should be permissible to provide an abortion. So we can only really say that of the 3,002 people sampled, 2,672 felt an abortion was permissible where pregnancy seriously endangers a womans health, and were not asked for their view on the right to life of the unborn. I would say that implies an incomplete picture...

I would certainly agree and even for those that dispute this the best solution is to put the matter to a vote for the people to decide.
    I'd argue that for those that dispute it, the best solution is never to allow the matter to come to a vote. If you agree that the current situation is the one you want to prevail, it makes no sense to even entertain a discussion on changing it, never mind a vote on it.

Catholic Linked Abortion advice crowd making up all sorts of crap.
    The Women’s Centre advertises itself as an impartial source of advice for women who want to travel to the UK to access an abortion but has direct links to a Catholic anti-abortion group

A woman working at the clinic, who claimed to be a counsellor, told her that breasts and ovaries were connected and that when a pregnancy ended unexpectedly a woman’s reproductive system could be damaged, causing breast cancer…and that abortion could lead to women abusing their children in the future.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/abortions-cause-cancer-women-s-centre-claims-kvkc8qvrs

impartial advise?

yeah...I don't think so

• Registered Users Posts: 25,488 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/abortions-cause-cancer-women-s-centre-claims-kvkc8qvrs

impartial advise?

yeah...I don't think so

They will stoop to the lowest levels possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

They will stoop to the lowest levels possible.

And then head a bit lower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

impartial advise?

yeah...I don't think so

Describing all the potential problems associated with the abortion procedure is part of allowing a woman to make a fully-informed decision.

Seeing as you, and others, think the claims are made up (a news article called it "misinformation"), I will recommend a documentary for you - "Hush" by Punam Gill. She is avowedly pro-choice from beginning to end of the documentary but, to give her credit, she brings a lot of information into light and she tackles the topic seriously. I'd recommend this documentary to anyone who is interested in the subject...it shows who is misrepresenting facts. I won't share any information the woman uncovered because people might reject it if it comes from me.

Describing all the potential problems associated with the abortion procedure is part of allowing a woman to make a fully-informed decision.

two claims made in the video were, 1) abortion causes breast cancer and 2) abortion can turn women into child molesters.

Are suggesting that one (or both) of these are true?

How do you explain Dr Boylans response to the claims?
    Consultant obstetrician Dr Peter Boylan told RTE Radio One’s News at One there was no increased risk of cancer among women who have had abortions, and that women who had abortions were not more likely to abuse their children.
    Source

two claims made in the video were, 1) abortion causes breast cancer and 2) abortion can turn women into child molesters.

Are suggesting that one (or both) of these are true?

How do you explain Dr Boylans response to the claims?

Source

Which is why I recommended the documentary. Maybe Punam Gill deals with the supposed lies of increased breast cancer risks, psychological problems and other issues? Put one and one together...

Which is why I recommended the documentary. Maybe Punam Gill deals with the supposed lies of increased breast cancer risks, psychological problems and other issues? Put one and one together...

I'm asking for your opinion, not those of a documentary maker.

do you think that abortion causes abortion and/or leads to women becoming child molesters?

The claims made by the clinic are completely and utterly false, its laughable you are in anyway trying to defend them.

Of course do you actually believe the claims are accurate?, your view on it would be nice rather then side stepping. Care to give an answer?

I'm asking for your opinion, not those of a documentary maker.

do you think that abortion causes abortion and/or leads to women becoming child molesters?
    Yes, I believe that abortion can increase the risk of breast cancer, can increase the potential for women who have previously had abortions to neglect their child and have subsequent health problems.
    The claims made by the clinic are completely and utterly false, its laughable you are in anyway trying to defend them.

Of course do you actually believe the claims are accurate?, your view on it would be nice rather then side stepping. Care to give an answer?

Again, I offered the documentary as a counterpoint because the pro-choice filmmaker provides evidence that having an abortion can increase the risk of breast cancer and causes a host of problems that abortion supposedly doesn't cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

Seeing as you, and others, think the claims are made up (a news article called it "misinformation"), I will recommend a documentary for you - "Hush" by Punam Gill. She is avowedly pro-choice from beginning to end of the documentary but, to give her credit, she brings a lot of information into light and she tackles the topic seriously. I'd recommend this documentary to anyone who is interested in the subject...it shows who is misrepresenting facts. I won't share any information the woman uncovered because people might reject it if it comes from me.

Except that that is not what we see the counsellor doing in the attached video. She makes repeated false statements about the consequences of abortion.

1. On foetal pain

At 0:33, the counsellor states that the conceptus (revealed later in the video to be 7-8 weeks) will feel "considerably more pain than we would". This is demonstrably false. We know what is required, from a foetal development perspective, for the perception of pain in a foetus. The perception of pain requires the development not only of neural connections throughout the body but also the thalamic connections in the brain which registers inputs from the body's nerve endings. This, combined with observational studies have shown that foetal pain is extremely unlikely before week 25.

Fetal Pain: A Systematic Multi-Disciplinary Review of the Evidence

Cortical pain responses in human infants.

Fetal Pain: Do We Know Enough to Do the Right Thing?

A Shift in Sensory Processing that Enables the Developing Human Brain to Discriminate Touch from Pain

Fetal Awareness - Review of Research and Recommendations for Practice

2. On the use of medical abortions

The counsellor then goes on to claim (at 0:58) that the woman in the video could not use a pill because she was at 7-8 weeks. In fact, medical abortions now account for 55% of all abortions and are used at all stages of pregnancy. They are the dominant method (Table 5 in the attached link below) up to 8 weeks and from week 24 onwards with use between these periods ranging from 13-38%. The counsellor seems to be either completely unaware of this fact or confusing medical abortion pills with the MAP. Either way it shows a level of ignorance that should disqualify her from being a counsellor.

UK Abortion Statistics 2015

3. On abortion and breast cancer

The most egregious false claim from the counsellor comes at 1:37 where she claims that abortion leads to an increased risk of breast cancer. Again here I'm not sure whether the counsellor is trying to deliberately scare the patient, wilfully ignorant or has simply failed to keep up with research in the area. The claim that abortion is linked to an increased breast cancer risk dates back to a review paper in 1996:

Induced abortion as an independent risk factor for breast cancer: a comprehensive review and meta-analysis

The study reviews 21 studies (mostly of very poor quality) and finds a link between abortion and breast cancer. However, the paper failed to include 19 eligible (and more rigorous studies) which fatally undermines its conclusions. Furthermore, in the intervening 20 years there have been a number of large cohort studies and systematic reviews which have demonstrated that there is, in fact, no link between abortion and breast cancer:

Induced Abortion and the Risk of Breast Cancer

Induced and Spontaneous Abortion and Incidence of Breast Cancer Among Young WomenA Prospective Cohort Study

Induced abortion and breast cancer among parous women: a Danish cohort study

Breast cancer and abortion: collaborative reanalysis of data from 53 epidemiological studies, including 83?000 women with breast cancer from 16 countries.

4. On abortion and child abuse

Next, the counsellor claims (2:03) that women who have had abortions are more likely to abuse or neglect their children. The backstory of this claim is long and complicated but it is ulimately untrue. In the 1970s a claim arose among pro-choice groups that abortion would lead to a lower incidence of child abuse since it would lower the amount of "unwanted" children. A number of psychologists investigated this claim and found it to be without foundation. This was demonstrated in a 1979 paper which found that there was in fact positive correlation between child abuse rates and abortion rates.

Relationship between abortion and child abuse

However, since then pro-life groups have seized upon this correlation and used it to claim that abortion causes child abuse. This is untrue, just as untrue as the original claim, in fact, since correlation does not imply causation.

dxfWK.jpg

The graph above demonstrates exactly why abortion does not cause child abuse. The graph shows the correlation between lemon imports and road traffic fatalities in the US. There is a strong correlation here (stronger than that between abortion and child abuse) between the two measured factors. However, nobody in their right mind would claim that importing lemons prevents road deaths. Similarly nobody should be making the claim about abortion and child abuse either.

5. On abortion and physical trauma

At 2:20 the counsellor begins explaining about the risks of surgical abortion. There are two problems with this advice. Firstly, as has been previously mentioned, the counsellor is ignorant of the option of medical abortion which doesn't carry the risk of surgical abortion and accounts for the greater percentage of all abortions performed. Secondly, and more importantly, abortion is one of the safest medical procedures there is. The death rate from general surgical procedures in the US is approximately 1.3%. The death rate from abortions in the US is approximately 0.0014%. In 2008, for example, there were 825,564 abortions performed in the USA. In that period there were only 12 deaths from abortions or complications thereof.

Predicting Risk of Death in General Surgery Patients on the Basis of Preoperative Variables Using American College of Surgeons National Surgical Quality Improvement Program Data

Abortion Surveillance 2009

The risk of damage, in the terms used by the counsellor, is also highly variable but has a frequency of between 1 in 250 and 1 in 1000 abortions.

6. On abortion and psychological trauma

The final advice given by the counsellor is a warning against the psychological impact of abortion. However, once again the counsellor is either ignorant of or deliberately misrepresenting the evidence.

Induced First-Trimester Abortion and Risk of Mental Disorder

The study above examined the incidence rates of psychiatric contact before and after a first time first-trimester abortion and compared it with the rates before and after a first childbirth.
    The results show that the before and after rates for induced abortion are 14.6 and 15.2 respectively. However since the 95% C.I. of both results overlapped, it is not safe to conclude that there is any increased risk of mental disorder following abortion.
    Live birth on the other hand lead to a significant increased risk of mental disorder with incidence rates climbing from 3.9 to 6.7. This is a not unsurprising conclusion as post-partum depression is a reasonably common occurrence.

There is nothing to see in this video except bad advice, scaremongering and wilful ignorance. At no point does the counsellor offer any useful, truthful or meaningful information to the patient.

Yes, I believe that abortion can increase the risk of breast cancer, can increase the potential for women who have previously had abortions to neglect their child and have subsequent health problems.

Its very sad that you believe lies then,
    I feel so very very sorry for you as a person that you'd believe such false info so very easily

• Advertisement

http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/pregnancy-counselling-and-regulation-1.2781630
    After listening with mounting horror to the details of the “advice” from a so-called crisis pregnancy advice clinic, I was horrified to read that Minister for Children Katherine Zappone was merely “considering” regulation of these clinics and that Minister for Health Simon Harris and the HSE are powerless to regulate or prosecute, and must instead compete with these unsupervised agencies.

I hope it would be agreed by everyone that people in such vulnerable situations deserve accurate and unbiased information, and that the provision of blatantly false and harmful advice is unacceptable and reprehensible in the extreme. The time for acceptance of this inaction is long since passed, and these departments must act now to stop others from suffering.

Dr Mark O’Loughlin,
    Clinical Lecturer,
    Registrar in Histopathology,
    Galway University Hospital.

I think both people against and for choice can agree with this surely?

Information provided should always be accurate and unbiased when it comes to vulnerable people

Advertisement