Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Essential FPL resources 2015/16

Options
  • 14-07-2015 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭

For the benefit of any newcomers to this affliction I though it might be a good time of year to share a few useful resources on the FPL Game, others might add more gems but basically this is what's in my favourites bar.

For Noobs....
    http://fantasy.premierleague.com/rules/
    Start here. There's not that much reading in it but you may well find out something you didn't know. You may well even find it out quicker than you could post the question here. You may even avoid some grumpy smart ass from Donegal posting the above link in answer to your question.

https://allthingsfpl.com/fantasy-premier-league-beginners-guide/
    Only found this recently but one of the best laid out Beginners Guides I've seen. Disagree with their absolute position on points hits, although many here probably would, but rest of it is very solid advice and I found it useful to read after two years playing.

http://www.fantasyfootballgeek.co.uk/category/strategy/
    A quite useful little blog site and one of the first resources I found useful when I was a Noob just two short years ago. This section had a general strategy bit and pieces one various aspects of the game. He said he'll be updating the strategy bit soon in light of the chips.

Best FPL sites.
    The aforementioned www.allthingsfpl.com and www.fantasyfootballgeek.co.uk are both good free resources and have good regular articles on fixtures, rotation options, captain choices etc. I'd read both every week during the season.

www.fantasyfootballscout.co.uk
    Arguably the no 1 FPL site. Great free articles, team news, player profiles etc. Membership available for £12.50 giving access to massive stats tools and members only articles based on them which I personally find great, whereas I would rarely crunch the numbers in their stats tables with my own fair hands. Membership worth it for me, others would disagree.
    Their forum is head wrecking as it's just a comments section below the articles and there's a lot of nonsense there, stay away on match days in particular. But some gems can be found especially in the Hot Topics and the Community Articles. They have a podcast too which I've never got into but I believe is ok.

www.fantasyfootballfix.com
    The new kid on the block last year and ramped up with very slick site with loads of stats, prediction algorithms and even options to tell you what transfers to make. Rankled with many for being a way to play the game without having to play the game. Both some of their stats were useful, their game week live ranking predictions were good and they were for a time the only people to have figured out the price changes predictions last year.
    Unsurprisingly they've gone for a subscription this year, not sure what you still get for free.

www.fantasyyirma.com is another I find worth a look the odd time but not as much as the others.

Price Changes.
    As mentioned www.fantasyfootballfix.com lead the way last year when changes to the price change secret rules threw everyone for a look for the first month or two.
    www.fplstatistics.co.uk soon caught up and some would say were the more reliable towards the end of the season.

www.fiso.co.uk are the grandaddies of unlocking the price change code but couldn't get it sorted last year. They may well be back in business this year.

www.totalfpl.com/pricechanges were my favourite 2 years ago but fell apart completely last year.

Newspapers
    The Guardian are usually reliable and do predicted lineups which two years ago were spookily good at times, last year more hit and miss.

Twitter
    I never had any intention of being on Twitter till I played FPL. Last season i joined pretty much solely to follow @BenDinnery who as well as researching and regurgitating the latest injury news from press conferences and managers quotes (so you don't have to spend ages googling stuff yourself like I did before I became a 'twit') but also somehow has the patience to reply to most questions he is tweeted, only occasionally getting sarky with the really stupid ones! :). He also retweets all then official teamsheets within minutes on matchdays saving you following all 20 PL clubs twitters.

Most of the above websites obviously have a Twitter feed worth following too, while you'll also find the off former FPL winner who you might want to follow and keep and eye one.

Others might have better Twitter resources to share.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

https://www.triggerlips.com/index.php/team-structure/

and the associated blog has good insight into FPL. The guy who writes it is #2 in the FFS Hall of Fame so a proven track record. The captains poll is also usually the closest to the actual top 10k if you like to know whether to gamble or play safe.

@Fpl_Updates is a good Twitter account to follow. They post results from preseason matches, tweet the goal and FPL assist right after it happens, do halftime baps updates, and have a captain analysis I occasionally check out.

Any word when the new Differential FPL app is coming out, FHFC?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

https://www.triggerlips.com/index.php/team-structure/

and the associated blog has good insight into FPL. The guy who writes it is #2 in the FFS Hall of Fame so a proven track record. The captains poll is also usually the closest to the actual top 10k if you like to know whether to gamble or play safe.

@Fpl_Updates is a good Twitter account to follow. They post results from preseason matches, tweet the goal and FPL assist right after it happens, do halftime baps updates, and have a captain analysis I occasionally check out.

Any word when the new Differential FPL app is coming out, FHFC?

Nice one, never heard of that site.

Nothing on Differential FPL yet, I emailed him some feedback a month or so back. He usually replied to any support type queries so starting to get waves of panic he's not gonna update it this year!!

I heard on FFS that the creators of the fantasy football wizard rotation app had confirmed they were doing it this year, it's a greate tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

FHFC wrote: »
    Nice one, never heard of that site.

Nothing on Differential FPL yet, I emailed him some feedback a month or so back. He usually replied to any support type queries so starting to get waves of panic he's not gonna update it this year!!

I heard on FFS that the creators of the fantasy football wizard rotation app had confirmed they were doing it this year, it's a greate tool.

Its the poster of the same name from FFS if you're on ffs much you would have seen him around. Top player.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I found the fpl wizard app for defensive rotations excellent last year. Hasn't been updated yet for this season though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭54and56

Thanks for creating this thread FHFC, appreciate it.

• Advertisement

I found the fpl wizard app for defensive rotations excellent last year. Hasn't been updated yet for this season though.

It's been replaced with a pay version: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.linushakansson.fplwizard&hl=en

I'm an I.T. dinosaur but how do you pay for an app. Does the amount just get added to your phone bill ?

I'm an I.T. dinosaur but how do you pay for an app. Does the amount just get added to your phone bill ?

Hmm, I think you need a credit card or something linked to Google Play/App Store

Hmm, I think you need a credit card or something linked to Google Play/App Store

FHFC, I think you might have misspelt @BenDinney as a search on twitter for that name comes up empty.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

FHFC, I think you might have misspelt @BenDinney as a search on twitter for that name comes up empty.

There is an "r" missing from OP.

https://twitter.com/BenDinnery

• Registered Users Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭dahat

If you are on the Three/O2 network and prepay you can set up carrier billing.
    I top up €20 pm so I can use that €20 for apps if needed while still getting my **** hot PAYG Plan.

@BenDinnery is what you are after.

F1ngers wrote: »
    There is an "r" missing from OP.

https://twitter.com/BenDinnery

Cheers, that's it all right.

Ha, great stuff. I saw the post on ffs and was waiting for an update. But this is definately well worth €1.45 based on the excellent free version last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

I'm forever bigging up Frisking the fixtures on FFS. I think it is the perfect article for those who don't have as much time as others to crunch numbers etc. For newcomers it is a weekly article which gives information on the teams with strong or weak fixtures for the next six weeks and analysis of the players who may be set to benefit or otherwise from this. Besides Boards FSA it is really the only resource that I use a lot, perfect for a very quick rundown of the information before making your transfers or planning a few weeks ahead. If I could only have access to one article this would definitely be it.
    Here's an example from the end of last year. Oh, this is the strong sides, there is a corresponding article each week for the weak teams.

http://www.fantasyfootballscout.co.uk/2015/04/28/frisking-the-fixtures-gameweek-35-the-strong/

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Liam2012

EPL Feeds (http://eplfeeds.com/fantasy) has links to all the articles on some of the websites mentioned already and some others and is a great one stop shop for those that have loads of time to read through all of them.

Liam2012 wrote: »
    EPL Feeds (http://eplfeeds.com/fantasy) has links to all the articles on some of the websites mentioned already and some others and is a great one stop shop for those that have loads of time to read through all of them.

Not come across them before cheers handy having a one stop shop to check for new articles.

Just now noticed that www.allthingsfpl.com has introduced a paid membership for £8 which you now need to access their Captain Articles, Weekly Numbers and a few of their other better articles which were free last year.

They are similar to the FFS members articles but I used to like them as they had a different slant. Whether I'm willing to part with 8 quid I'm not sure.

It seems there is money to be made from giving out ff advice. I can't wait to see Mr prodston on dragons den.

• Advertisement

It seems there is money to be made from giving out ff advice. I can't wait to see Mr prodston on dragons den.

I think he would be rejected after they uncover his RvP(c)+Nolan fiasco :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 103 ✭✭Nom De Guerre

Fenners, Merse and The Fantasy Football Show not been mentioned yet? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Ha! I don't think that counts under either "essential", "FPL" or "resources"!

Ha! I don't think that counts under either "essential", "FPL" or "resources"!
    Is that the sky show?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

jimmii wrote: »
    Is that the sky show?

yep

Another decent wee site (worth following on Twitter) is www.fplbet.com. (@fplbet)

I've just seen from their Twitter they are starting a focus on the promoted teams done by a fan of the club, starting with Norwich http://fplbet.com/norwich-city-team-player-guide-2015-16-fantasy-premier-league-tips/

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SkySter

I hope to lads at http://fantasypremierleaguetransfers.com get the site going again. Not the slickest looking but the advice was decent when it was being updated.

Saw this on FFS. Pretty cool, not sure how useful, but I'm sure some of you will love it!

https://public.tableau.com/views/FPLplayerstats2014-15/DetailedbyGameweek?%3AshowVizHome=no

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭FrClintPower

Excellent app alright. I'm a bit of a tightarse when it comes to paying for apps, but at €1.45 it's a snip.

• Advertisement

Bumping this as more and more people reawaken to the FPL season....

Advertisement