Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staying energized to workout after work

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,729 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Mr_Muffin wrote: »
    This is something i sometimes have trouble with as well.

I work in construction and usually work from 8 to 6. The work itself can be very hard and I'm going all day. I do try and go to the gym after work but i am usually totally wrecked. Maybe going before work is an option?
    Ye I'm in construction and it's quite physical. All day I'm working flat out so I go at 6.30am.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,729 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I train a specific martial arts gym. Actually the best in Europe.
    Wow I never realised you were part of Team Ryano :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Wow I never realised you were part of Team Ryano :pac:

Is that SBG Northside? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭via4

I found that when I get home at around 5.30pm the trick is to not sit down at all. I plan my meal in advance and I eat standing up and get changed and out the door. I find the tiredness as another poster said it is more of a mental tiredness as my brain says you home relax now and I be wrecked but once I get down to the gym n get started I feel energised again. I get home just after 7pm then I don't feel guilty about relaxing then. I went this morning and it was nice to go on a sat morning there wasnt many people there and I wasn't as tired. Hope that helps a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Fair play. I remember being at an MMA event in donegal town and being struck by the distances some of the lads were traveling. A few of them would've been doing 1 1/2 hour round trips a few days per week.
    Doing that on top of work on top of some of the hardest training possible on a regular basis blows my mind
    My main MMA gym is 5 mins from home so i'm lucky. But I also train at another gym one night a week.
    1 hour to get there, 2 hour session, and 30-40 mins to get home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

I couldn't solve this problem so I just started going to the gym before work. I go to bed a lot earlier now but it's worth it because I've been sticking to a routine for months now when I usually struggled after a few weeks. If you schedule one of your workouts for the weekend you'll only have to get up early on two or three of the weekdays depending on your routine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

airmech wrote: »
    Has anyone tried going to the gym after night shifts? Would you be too wrecked? It would be quiet.

Personally I don't like doing it, regardless of how used to doing night shifts the body is naturally tired it's not designed for being up all night nor is it like working days youre going home and climbing straight into bed after a night shift.

Energy levels are down and as anyone who works nighta will tell you it's difficult to get a proper sleep especially during the summer months.

Go home go to bed get up have a breakfast then go the gym it's a good way of energising yourself and waking you up out of jet lag feeling you can get from doing night shifts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Personally I don't like doing it, regardless of how used to doing night shifts the body is naturally tired it's not designed for being up all night nor is it like working days youre going home and climbing straight into bed after a night shift.

Energy levels are down and as anyone who works nighta will tell you it's difficult to get a proper sleep especially during the summer months.

Go home go to bed get up have a breakfast then go the gym it's a good way of energising yourself and waking you up out of jet lag feeling you can get from doing night shifts

I slightly disagree. Im often more energised after a night shift than I am in a regular morning. I don't have the trauma of coming out of sleep, or getting out of bed to deal with, I'm wide awake, etc.

OP, I would say try it and see how you feel. Coming off a night shift, straight to gym, do your stuff, select something high in protein to eat after, get into bed and eat it, and go to sleep. Try it once or twice and weigh your feelings towards it.

Advertisement