Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to buy a pullup bar

Options
  • 12-07-2015 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am looking to get a pull up bar for myself and was looking for a few recommendations. I am specifically looking for something that can be removed easily with drilling any holes into the frame (I live in rented accommodation.) Also my door has glass at top of the frame as well so it rules out some pullup bars for me unfortunately.:pac:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Oh I was gonna say the ones on adverts cos I got one but glass over the door frame? On both sides?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

i think that rules out all pull up bars..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

If there's a window over the door, the transom (the piece of wood separating the door and window) won't be strong enough to use a pull up bar on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

What about a power tower? I can't use doorway bars where I live but I got a power tower from Amazon. Not ideal but it does the job. They are more expensive than a door model though if that's an issue. And the cheap one I bought is borderline

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭tirchonaill86

I have a marcy bruce lee power station that i bought two years ago, never used, paid almost 400 euro for it, was going to post it on adverts...it does pull ups, dips,leg raises,sit ups etc...easy after assembly to deconstruct too if you leaving your place..like i say i never used it but will sell it to you for a knockdown 150euro if you are interested?. If you type marcy bruce lee power station into youtube you will see it in action on there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9032639/Trail/searchtext%3EPULL+UP+BAR.htm

17 euro, fits between door frame with a couple of screws, no drilling required.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭blackwave

If there's a window over the door, the transom (the piece of wood separating the door and window) won't be strong enough to use a pull up bar on.

Thats what I thought alright unfortunately. The doors downstairs dont have windows at the top of the frame so I assume that they would be ok to use?

blackwave wrote: »
    Thats what I thought alright unfortunately. The doors downstairs dont have windows at the top of the frame so I assume that they would be ok to use?

I would presume so.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9032639/Trail/searchtext%3EPULL+UP+BAR.htm

17 euro, fits between door frame with a couple of screws, no drilling required.

Not trying to plug my piece honestly but them things awkward as hell don't you think? i had one of them before and theyre a pure balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Not trying to plug my piece honestly but them things awkward as hell don't you think? i had one of them before and theyre a pure balls.

It's just a straight bar. Not awkward in the slightest.

• Advertisement

There was one in an apartment I lived in. Was great. It was just there so you'd catch it in the corner of your eye in the hall and go do a few pull ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

I have one of these in my bedroom doorway and it's A1. Not awkward and obviously doesn't take up room at all being in the doorway.

Well I'm genuinely delighted for you all that you find this piece efficient. I still think its a load of ****e but i guess thats what makes us all humans...we have different opinions on things like this. I personally think its much better to have a higher base and more room to pull off, i find the doorframe restrictive but i suppose at the price its attractive to some. Be careful though i had a friend who sustained a serious back injury on one of them cheap ones and has lost an awful lot of money through physio/doctor bills/missed work. The bar just came apart from the door and he had fully committed, he still has problems to this day and that was like seven or eight years ago. Good luck with it anyway. If you're interested in the power station please do not hesitate to contact me...God bless.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Your advice would be easier to take if you weren't trying to sell him something that's 10 times the price.

Well I'm genuinely delighted for you all that you find this piece efficient. I still think its a load of ****e but i guess thats what makes us all humans...we have different opinions on things like this. I personally think its much better to have a higher base and more room to pull off, i find the doorframe restrictive but i suppose at the price its attractive to some. Be careful though i had a friend who sustained a serious back injury on one of them cheap ones and has lost an awful lot of money through physio/doctor bills/missed work. The bar just came apart from the door and he had fully committed, he still has problems to this day and that was like seven or eight years ago. Good luck with it anyway. If you're interested in the power station please do not hesitate to contact me...God bless.

Maybe you should try sell the OP insurance instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

amazing post:pac:

To be honest I agree with you in parts. I do pull ups almost every day in the gym, just love doing them go for 4 sets of 10

Im not sure I would be that impressed with the door ones unless I was in prison and thats all that was on offer. Then again my door wouldnt be open 24/7 so I would have restrictive use of it. Also the prison gym would be on campus so I would probably use that instead. More I think of it, Im not sure if I could order one of them bars in anyway?

edit I dont go to the gym everyday

Im not sure I would be that impressed with the door ones unless I was in prison and thats all that was on offer.

You probably wouldn't be walking too far if you were in prison so it probably would be best for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

I suppose, it was good enough for cameron poe and he came out in good nick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

I've owned and used in the past the simple bar that screws in. The iron gym style that hooks over the jamb and now I'm using a cheap power tower. (60 ish from Amazon)
    The iron gym style is the way better than the screw in style. I'm usually between 90 and 100kg and I've never had problems. They hook in easy and come off easy and have no effect on the paint or frame of the door. However they need a specific type of doorframe which isn't always present in older houses. The last 2 houses I've rented haven't had a suitable frame.

The screw in type isn't great for someone of my size. They were forever creaking and it felt like I would rip it out of the frame. When I removed it it leaves 6 screw holes in the frame. A landlords nightmare.

The drawback to both models was height. I'm just under 6 foot and in a regular frame you are forced to bend your knees to get full extention.
    There is one style made in Ireland. Name escapes me but it's on boards. This extends over the frame by a foot or so. I think it would be the better option.

I'm currently using the power tower I mentioned on boards. I'm not sure I could 100% recommend it without stipulations. At my weight it creaks but seems to hold me. Any heavier and I doubt it could hold. It claims up to 100kg but I wouldn't use if you're above 95. Especially if you're tall as they are extendable. If its fully extended its not as strong a structure. I have it set at the lowest extension for me to give it a little more stability and it works OK. It has both wide and narrow grip and some dip bar attached as well as an incline ab board which I've never used. It sits in the corner of my bedroom and takes up a little space, no more than most equipment. But not an excessive amount.
    It is suitable for a reasonable weighted person to do strict pull ups. But isn't secure enough for Kipping or any other pull ups it wobbles a little for me but it's within managable expectations.
    They go for between 60 and 90 pounds on amazon. All of the cheaper models seem to be identical despite the price point difference. Above 100/120 or so they are more secure. D8 fitness have one in store for 175 and elverys dundrum have a similar one. They are way more stable.

If you live in a house with suitable frames I'd buy the iron gym. If not then i would get the same type I have if you are sub 90kgs. Otherwise spend a bit of cash and get a more secure model for about 175. Or look for other options I'd avoid the cheapest model which screws in as they are more hassle than they are worth.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Is there no door without glass? I use mine on the bathroom door and then remove it whenever I need to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭blackwave

Is there no door without glass? I use mine on the bathroom door and then remove it whenever I need to.

There is one thankfully, so I think I am going to invest in a Iron gym pullup bar unless someone has a better recommendation other than a power tower as I am tight with space

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Thats what I have, its perfect

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I have a Powerbar 2. I latch it on every morning and take it down just before bed so I can close the bedroom door. Takes no time at all to put it up either and since it's there all day I find myself doing a few pull ups every time I walk in and out. I weigh about 68kg so weight isn't an issue for me but the reviews on Amazon from heavier users are decent as well.

lrg-2-powerBar.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33 elprincipito

I use an old crutch and hang it up between the stairs leading to the attic. Dodgy as fuuuark! I weight like 154 pounds though sooo I can just about get away with it

• Registered Users Posts: 39,069 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The transom doesn't actually support the pullup bar, it doesn’t even need to touch the bar. The wall above the door just provides a fulcrum, the support is achieved by the door frame on either side. The bar stays up because it’s simply a big lever.
    Obviously, the glass won’t be strong enough to provide a fulcrum, but that it easily fixed by extending the upper bar to meet either side of the door. I’ve always felt that would be a better design, but I guess the extra second to hang it is a turn off.

If you modify it like this image it should work. Better than than spending $150 on a power tower, and I wouldn’t fancy pull ups on a mini shower rail.
    Edit: It wouldn't have to extend past the frame, equal in length to the other side would be grand.
    80hzwc4.jpg

Mellor wrote: »
    The transom doesn't actually support the pullup bar, it doesn’t even need to touch the bar. The wall above the door just provides a fulcrum, the support is achieved by the door frame on either side. The bar stays up because it’s simply a big lever.
    Obviously, the glass won’t be strong enough to provide a fulcrum, but that it easily fixed by extending the upper bar to meet either side of the door. I’ve always felt that would be a better design, but I guess the extra second to hang it is a turn off.

If you modify it like this image it should work. Better than than spending $150 on a power tower, and I wouldn’t fancy pull ups on a mini shower rail.
    Edit: It wouldn't have to extend past the frame, equal in length to the other side would be grand.

Definitely wouldn't be an issue in a doorway like that. But I was basing it solely off of the internal doors with a treansom window in any house I've lived in or had cause to notice in other houses and I can't remember any that weren't like this. Where the door frame doesn't pass beneath the window and there's no wall behind where the bar would be.

Maybe it's more because they're newer builds (since the 70s or thereabouts) but I certainly wouldn't be using a pullup bar on them.

But if it's like the picture you posted, no problem at all.

That's a photo of a door without a window above, I just crudely painted a fanlight. In reality the transom would be much lighter the the door frame, like the photo you posted.
    It makes so difference, the transom isn't taking any of the load, its not in contact with the pull up bar.
    The design of these bars would work even in there was an empty space

That's a photo of a door without a window above, I just crudely painted a fanlight. In reality the transom would be much lighter the the door frame, like the photo you posted.
    It makes so difference, the transom isn't taking any of the load, its not in contact with the pull up bar.
    The design of these bars would work even in there was an empty space

I appreciate that and I understand the mechanics of the bar but I wouldn't be confident in a set up where there wasn't a door frame for the bar inside to sit on.

I appreciate that and I understand the mechanics of the bar but I wouldn't be confident in a set up where there wasn't a door frame for the bar inside to sit on.
    The door frame (on a normal door) is inside the wall. The part the bar "sits on" is just the architrave, a slim piece of wood often simply glued in place. It's not providing much support.

If you don't want to risk it that's fine. There's other options there.

• Advertisement

The door frame (on a normal door) is inside the wall. The part the bar "sits on" is just the architrave, a slim piece of wood often simply glued in place. It's not providing much support.

I know the difference between a frame and architrave.

It doesn't have to provide much support. But it provides enough to stop the bar sliding down the architrave if you have a bar like the one posted above.

And that's a betterp ull up bar than you'll see in a lot of shops. This is a typical sports shop bar.

Advertisement