Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10 reasons why IRL should say no to IAG on their Aer Lingus offer

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Dob74 wrote: »
    Two easy ways to go to merica. EI out dub or through Heathrow with BA. Both where separate companies in competition. Now two become one and IAG can charge what they like. Unless they don't like making money of course.
    Have I had a stroke? Seriously.

What about United, American, Delta and Air Canada who all fly direct between North America and Dublin?!

I'm still baffled by the logic that since it's cheaper to fly from Amsterdam to the US, that is somehow proof that EI under IAG is not going to be in competition with UA/AA/DAL/AC :confused:

We're talking about flying from Ireland still, right?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

Have I had a stroke? Seriously.

What about United, American, Delta and Air Canada who all fly direct between North America and Dublin?!

What about everyone who doesn't live I dub?
    F**k em I suppose is it.

btw aa and ua normally just use ei flights and do not fly into dub

What about everyone who doesn't live I dub?
    F**k em I suppose is it.
    How is that any different than EI not part of IAG?
    UA does codeshare some flights but over 50% are UA flights (I've been on them many times)

AA doesn't codeshare at all with EI - you need to supply some proof for this falsehood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Johnnyjump wrote: »
    When the competition from other airlines is removed, BA can then charge what ever they like.

When will that happen? Who is going to remove it?

And what's to stop other airlines coming in to service the Irish market?

• Advertisement

Two easy ways to go to merica. EI out dub or through Heathrow with BA. Both where separate companies in competition. Now two become one and IAG can charge what they like. Unless they don't like making money of course.

What's wrong with Belfast?

I go through there if DUB doesn't suit or it's too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Mod:

Off topic, personal and beneath the standard expected posts removed.

Existing threads on Aer Lingus by the OP merged.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

Completely wrong. AA and UA both fly direct from here (AA to New York and Chicago, United to Newark, Washington DC and Chicago).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Given that Ireland has said YES and that Ryanair has said YES, isn't this thread pointless now?

Godge wrote: »
    Given that Ireland has said YES and that Ryanair has said YES, isn't this thread pointless now?
    I think it's just that the threads were merged into one with a bad topic headline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

jaymcg91 wrote:
    Completely wrong. AA and UA both fly direct from here (AA to New York and Chicago, United to Newark, Washington DC and Chicago).

Not all year round. And can pull the flights at any time. Just like IAG can.

I am sure if IAG can make the same money by transferring the routes through London or Manchester they will. May not do it happen but they can if they want.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Not all year round. And can pull the flights at any time. Just like IAG can.

I am sure if IAG can make the same money by transferring the routes through London or Manchester they will. May not do it happen but they can if they want.

Except that so long as there is demand for those flights at a cost which is profitable, which there is, they have absolutely no incentive to do that. The air travel market has worked perfectly fine in flying people from Ireland to America, there's no reason to think that that wil stop happening.

Not all year round.
    Are you just making this up as you go along? Please provide a shred of evidence that these are all seasonal flights.
    And can pull the flights at any time. Just like IAG can.
    Even if this were realistic, how does it at all change anything in terms of competition with EI owned by IAG? Are you suggesting that BA flies from Ireland to North America or something?

You're going to tell me with a straight face that IAG would seriously consider foregoing US pre-clearance to fly through Manchester or London?
    If anything, they might start stopping their cheaper flights in DUB to avail of US pre-clearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Icepick

Selling the stake is another good decision of this government.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,991 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Icepick wrote: »
    Selling the stake is another good decision of this government.
    its not. it brings in a long term income to the government and the country

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Not always. The airline industry is notorious volatile and cyclical - especially for full service operators like AL.

That means they don't always pay a dividend.

This year they're paying a dividend - €0.05 per share, meaning the government will get about €6.7m on a shareholding worth about €335m or put it another way, they're getting about a 2% return on the holding.

If the concern is income, they should definitely take the money and stick it in an investment fund, they'll get about 10% that way.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

They are notorious basket cases from a financial point of view and governments should have as little to do with them as possible. US airlines are in and out of chapter 11 on a regular basis, then there was Swiss Air Group, KLM etc...

It is a highly competitive environment requiring large capital investments - a receipt for financial disaster plain and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Icepick

And your evidence for this claim is? Certainly not past experience.
    Also, it will continue to bring in income in private hands as long as its profitable anyway and without the risk.

Advertisement