Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC and ITV secure 6 Nations rights

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

I would go for RTE to retain the rights but it all depends on UTVIRL and whether they have enough confidence in the Irish Market to want to take over and upset the RTE bid. Six nations rugby Ltd. will have no qualms about accepting a higher bid than RTE if it comes from another FTA broadcaster.
    I tend to agree - highest FTA bidder in Ireland will probably win, simple as that.

I don't think there will be any major loyalty to RTÉ.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

irishfeen wrote: »
    UTV have deep pockets
    Not any more, with the mounting losses at UTV I

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

Elmo wrote: »
    Will be interesting to see if UTV proper provide an Ulster panel for the games or just grab the ITV panel.
    Almost certainly they will just take the ITV coverage in its entirety, anything else would involve breaking into ITV's programme which ITV would not allow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Not any more, with the mounting losses at UTV I
    Well they still have deep pockets... its whether they want to pour it into UTVI is the big question.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Almost certainly they will just take the ITV coverage in its entirety, anything else would involve breaking into ITV's programme which ITV would not allow.

They did do their own separate coverage of Ireland games until the 2007 RWC, they are fully sovereign over their own programme schedule so long as they air ITN's news bulletins. The reason for not doing them now is that they've dismantled their sports department and they don't want to spend the money. ITV Wales still did separate coverage in 2011 for Wales games.

• Advertisement
Advertisement