Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC and ITV secure 6 Nations rights

Options
  • 09-07-2015 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭

https://twitter.com/bbcsport/status/619144329932746752

"The BBC and ITV will share the rights to broadcast rugby union's Six Nations Championship for the next six years.

Wales, Scotland and France home matches will be on the BBC, while ITV will show England, Ireland and Italy home games"

BBC lose England home games! Brilliant to see the tournament remain FTA!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

There needs to be more co-operation to keep or get back sports for FTA telly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,730 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Excellent news. The longer this tournament is available to everyone the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Interesting to note that this deal has been brought in 2 years before the current one was due to end (2018).

6 years of FTA rugby is fantastic for everyone and will keep rugby growing! Almost for certain now Irish rights will remain FTA with or without government intervention!

There needs to be more co-operation to keep or get back sports for FTA telly.
    Yeah it would be great if the Irish FTA channels did the same - there is no point in competing with Sky/BT/Setanta individually anymore.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

irishfeen wrote: »
    Yeah it would be great if the Irish FTA channels did the same - there is no point in competing with Sky/BT/Setanta individually anymore.

totally agree

Buut it won't happen in ireland as its a small country or I hope I am wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭iseegirls

When do RTE's deal for them expire?

iseegirls wrote: »
    When do RTE's deal for them expire?
    2018 I think... From what I remember the RTÉ/BBC deal ran alongside each other.

EDIT - it's actually 2017!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭qweerty

BBC has now lost French Open tennis, The Open, the live rights to half of Formula One races (including Monaco, Italy, USA and the season opener), Olympics coverage and England Six Nations rugby. Will it be able to retain such a generous F1 deal when that expires and can it retain the Masters? Presumably they would sell anything else before giving up Wimbledon. I would guess that per hour costs will start to disproportionately increase, the more they lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

qweerty wrote: »
    BBC has now lost French Open tennis, The Open, the live rights to half of Formula One races (including Monaco, Italy, USA and the season opener), Olympics coverage and England Six Nations rugby. Will it be able to retain such a generous F1 deal when that expires and can it retain the Masters? Presumably they would sell anything else before giving up Wimbledon. I would guess that per hour costs will start to disproportionately increase, the more they lose.

F1 will definitely go. AFAIK, BBC still had the rights till 2017, but sold to sky so they could afford to keep BBC 3. Sky will take it all once BBCs contract is up unfortunately.

They have kept most of the Six nations, they were likely to lose it all remember! Also the Olympics thing doesn't kick in until 2020 anything could happen by then. At least the French Open is still FTA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I'd say the only thing that BBC will bid high for is Wimbledon and Match of the Day. They'll share with ITV for whatever else they can keep FTA. I'm not sure anything they've got left is a big enough draw, considering they lost the Olympics.

F1 will definitely go. AFAIK, BBC still had the rights till 2017, but sold to sky so they could afford to keep BBC 3. Sky will take it all once BBCs contract is up unfortunately.

That'll be a big loss. Seems to be the modus operandi of Sky to convince sporting bodies to first allow dual-broadcasting of an event, "giving the best of both worlds", before then buying sole rights.

They have kept most of the Six nations, they were likely to lose it all remember! Also the Olympics thing doesn't kick in until 2020 anything could happen by then. At least the French Open is still FTA.

I'm more looking at it from the perspective of BBC.

England games are obviously the prized-asset, though, and Ireland games are arguably more important than Scotland's, from BBC's perspective. If the Olympic rights are up for grabs, ITV, Sky and BT would all be in the mix, with the latter two being required to share some with a FTA channel.

titan18 wrote: »
    I'd say the only thing that BBC will bid high for is Wimbledon and Match of the Day. They'll share with ITV for whatever else they can keep FTA. I'm not sure anything they've got left is a big enough draw, considering they lost the Olympics.

They still have the World Cup, jointly with ITV. But for how long?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭titan18

They still have the World Cup, jointly with ITV. But for how long?

For the moment anyway, all World Cup matches have to be shown FTA, so that will stay and I'd imagine ITV and BBC are happy sharing.

titan18 wrote: »
    For the moment anyway, all World Cup matches have to be shown FTA, so that will stay and I'd imagine ITV and BBC are happy sharing.

Why do you think that? ITV are in a strong negotiating position in being the only FTA channel that could afford to share or buy the rights outright. If they pull out of a share, BBC couldn't afford to buy the full rights and no established broadcaster could take ITV's place. (Assuming unprecedented possibilities, like an online service entering a deal, or something, wouldn't happen.)

I think the next World Cup TV rights up for auction will be 2026, so obviously a lot can change.

Stolen from DS ..

Over the 5 year contract,

BBC will show:
    ENGLAND: 9 times
    WALES: 21 times
    SCOTLAND: 21 times
    IRELAND: 9 times
    FRANCE: 21 times
    ITALY: 9 times

ITV will show:
    ENGLAND: 21 times
    WALES: 9 times
    SCOTLAND: 9 times
    IRELAND: 21 times
    FRANCE: 9 times
    ITALY: 20 times

All Ireland/England matches will be on ITV.

I wonder will we much of a battle between RTÉ, TV3 & UTVI for Irish rights?

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

According to this article in The Guardian a couple of days ago, it seems that it's more the case that Sky / BT didn't get involved in a bidding war than the authorities opting for free to air coverage

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/jul/07/six-nations-bbc-itv-sky-terrestrial-television

Dan Roan BBC Sports Editor says sky did in fact bid and actually outbid BBC/ITV but the 6 Nations didn't bite...

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/33357440
    "I understand Sky bid more than the combined BBC/ITV offer. But the Six Nations Committee did not feel it was sufficiently greater in value to compensate for the inevitable reduction in audience that going to Sky would have entailed. This despite the fact the Welsh, Irish and Scottish Rugby Unions were thought to be desperate to maximise the TV revenue on which they had become dependent."

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

You'd wonder why Sky don't try for FTA rights, they could easily air all of those games on Pick. BT on BT Sports Showcase.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

I think utvirl will have serious interest in the ITV matches. Rte may/could be left with second choice. Hard to tell re Libertytv3/UPC whether they would stump up 3-5million a year that the irish rights are rumoured to command

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I think utvirl will have serious interest in the ITV matches. Rte may/could be left with second choice. Hard to tell re Libertytv3/UPC whether they would stump up 3-5million a year that the irish rights are rumoured to command

There is no way that RTÉ would let go of the Irish matches in any deal with UTV Ireland.

Will be interesting to see if UTV proper provide an Ulster panel for the games or just grab the ITV panel.

Stolen from DS ..

BBC will show:

ITV will show:

That is a strange split, and a poor one for the BBC. France are a draw but only 9 each of England and Ireland is hardly what they wanted.

Elmo wrote: »
    There is no way that RTÉ would let go of the Irish matches in any deal with UTV Ireland.

Will be interesting to see if UTV proper provide an Ulster panel for the games or just grab the ITV panel.
    they will if utvirl pay more money -however likely it may be. Rte are under pressure to not overspend but as you say the outcome may stay with rte.

I think there could be fierce competition for the Irish rights between RTÉ, UTV & TV3(UPC). If Ireland have a successful World Cup (reaching quarters of further) then there rugby again will be in the spotlight as Irish soccer fades away.

For RTÉ, TV3 and UTV these are the type of rights to get BIG viewership for selling advertisement spots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Stolen from DS ..

BBC will show:

ITV will show:

So the number of times Brian Moore will be commentating on England matches has reduced significantly. That can only be a good thing.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I'd now expect RTE to win the Irish rights outright. TV3 will, if it bids, have to do before the UPC deal goes through. Their taking of the RWC rights was a surprise but in that case we were talking about a tournament that RTE hasn't broadcast exclusively since 2003 vs a tournament that RTE has been the exclusive Irish broadcaster of since TV coverage began. While I don't rule out a UTV bid, especially if they were given the opportunity to only bid for ITV's games, I think it more likely that Six Nations Rugby will stick with one broadcaster in this market.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭iseegirls

I just can't see UTVi stumping up the money at the moment for the rights. TV3 will either bid back for the GAA rights or go for the 6 Nations. Depends how this World Cup rates for them.

iseegirls wrote: »
    I just can't see UTVi stumping up the money at the moment for the rights. TV3 will either bid back for the GAA rights or go for the 6 Nations. Depends how this World Cup rates for them.
    UTV have deep pockets, I would imagine they will compete now for the majority of sports rights into the future.

I would go for RTE to retain the rights but it all depends on UTVIRL and whether they have enough confidence in the Irish Market to want to take over and upset the RTE bid. Six nations rugby Ltd. will have no qualms about accepting a higher bid than RTE if it comes from another FTA broadcaster.

• Advertisement

icdg wrote: »
    I'd now expect RTE to win the Irish rights outright. TV3 will, if it bids, have to do before the UPC deal goes through. Their taking of the RWC rights was a surprise but in that case we were talking about a tournament that RTE hasn't broadcast exclusively since 2003 vs a tournament that RTE has been the exclusive Irish broadcaster of since TV coverage began. While I don't rule out a UTV bid, especially if they were given the opportunity to only bid for ITV's games, I think it more likely that Six Nations Rugby will stick with one broadcaster in this market.
    I suppose it all depends on when the bidding takes place for Ireland.. Do we know if it's currently underway?

Advertisement