Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handwriting decipher thread *must post link to full page*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭dylbert

Thanks, Enaville Avenue makes more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

I'd say 2. The priest seems to like curling his numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭razor8

anyone on here able to translate the attached will to english from the 1700s??? I believe it’s written in danish

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I doubt we have any Danish speakers. You could try the #AncestryHour Twitter hashtag.

Genealogy Forum Mod

If you have a really enormous amount of time on your hands, you could try this glossary:

https://www.familysearch.org/en/wiki/Denmark_Probate_Records

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

There's a Facebook page that's good for those sort of requests called Genealogy Translations.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/GenealogicalTranslations/

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Have two for perusal looking at occupation for Samuel T Porter in 1891 and 1901

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/7814/images/STSRG13_2736_2737-0334?pId=35292861

1901 I think is unemployed and 1891 is Mill(something)

TIA

Millman. A bit of a nonspecific term I'm afraid, could be any kind of mill he worked in. There are puddlers and brickmakers listed, and Staffordshire is known for lots of claywork, so maybe in that. But could be any type of mill.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,440 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Tipton flour mill on Union street operated between 1840 and 1909, perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭srmf5

Looking for help to decipher my great grandmother's emigration record to the US in 1907. I'm looking at the entry on line 5 and 6 since my great grandmother was travelling with her sister to her sister's address in the US. Under the column 'Whether going to join a relative...', I'm trying to make out the address. It looks like '20 ? Street, Pawtucket, Rhode Island.' I'd be just curious to see what the area looks like today. It is always possible that the name of the address has changed since then.

I'd also be interested to know what the comment under 'Marks of Identification' on Line 5 is.

I really appreciate any help provided. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭55Gem

20 Elm St.

Exortus?? on forehead. I think....

Thank you! Yes, I was also thinking Elm or Elia Street but can't find either address online. The street must have been renamed.

(Edit) Actually I looked up Elm Street again and I see websites about the housing conditions back in 1912 so I just need to find the new name now! The family were in Elm Street up to 1930 but in 1940 they were at 195 North Bend Street.

Thanks for the suggestion of exortus. Based on that suggestion, I think that it could be exostosis. Apparently, it's a benign bony growth which can appear as a hard, fixed knot or bump on the forehead. It could have just been an ordinary bump as well. I know that my aunt has a permanent bump on her forehead that was just from colliding with another child when she was younger.

Post edited by srmf5 on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,440 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Mods: sorry for going off topic, but just as a ^ quick reply ...There is an Elm in Providence, and this old Sanborn fire map listed the whereabouts of an Elm in Pawtucket, area 15... if that helps locate the area? ....comparing to a current map, it appears (atleast to my untrained eye) that the whole area encompassing River, Elm, Water and School streets were all wiped out to make room for a freeway and a (now abandoned) shopping mall, the Apex building.

The Pawtucket Public Library has an extensive historical section with hyperlink to these images of Elm St (c 1960s), which also mentions clearing and redevelopment of the area ...images are from this flicker collection.

This is also an interesting pictorial essay about an Irish settlement in Providence (including an image of Acorn Street 1903).

Post edited by Deja Boo on

Another query! I'm looking at rows 124 to 127. They were siblings and cousins. I think that the cause of death for rows for 124, 125 and 127 is scarlatina (scarlet fever). However, I can't make out 126. It looks like blood ?

I'd really appreciate any help provided. Thank you!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Blood poisoning?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Thank you! I was thinking that it could be the same but was expecting it to be linked in some way with scarlet fever. However, now that I think of it, scarlet fever could lead to blood poisoning or sepsis.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

Hi,

Any help in deciphering Anne's surname on this marriage record dated 21 Feb 1830 with John Ryan? (Left, middle of page).

Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

Gibbins?

Concur with Gibbons - and that's what Rootsireland has it transcribed as.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

Many thanks BowWow/Pinky, that ties in with children baptised to parents John Ryan Anne Gibbons in Drom & inch.

I was looking for a Ryan/Gubbins marriage in 1830 or before. Their children were baptised in Pallasgreen, Co. Limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭p15574

Any idea what the profession of the groom in this marriage is? Some sort of "groomsman"? And also where in Killarney the bride is from? I have her living in Lackabane but that doesn't look like it.

I thought the profession said something Bar so I tried a few searches in the Newspapers and in 1887 Mrs Kelliher wife of a publican High St Killarney and daughter of Daneil Leahy who was murdered, six years since, was assaulted by a butcher's assistant named Coffey who was trying to get drink out of hours.

So I think it's the name of his pub. I'll see if I can find anything more.

Daniel's death 1882

4831410.pdf (irishgenealogy.ie)

He lived in Searteen which looks like the same place of Hannah on the marriage cert.

I think it would be worth your while taking out a sub with Irish Newspapers Archives if you want to read up on the murder.

From the little I read about fifteen or sixteen years earlier the Landlord moved some of the tenents and that is how Daniel and family ended up in Scarteen, there is also a letter from John Cronin, son in law, denying he is responsible for angering the gang who committed the murder (Captain Moonlight & Co) by taking up grazing rights in Lackahane.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

My first thought when I saw it was 'Grocer's Clerk'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

I wonder if it could be a Grocery and Bar, when they are in High Street on Mary's birth 1887 he's down as a Shop Keeper and later on Daniels birth 1889 in Scarteen he's still a Shopkeeper.

John Cronin's address in the newspaper is Ards and there is a marriage in 1865 of a John Cronin to Catherine Leahy, (19) Laccabane father Dan. Is Laccabane the same place as Lackabane and Lackahane.

I did see a John Kelliher name among the people renewing their pub licences.

If only they had given the woman's first name that was assaulted and a list of mourners at the funeral.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭p15574

Thanks all. I was aware of the murder - a mob pulled him from his bed and killed him. Not the most illustrious thing to have in the family history, working for a landlord - not mine personally though! Seems pretty definite that Laccabane would be Lackabane/"hane"

Would appreciate thoughts on the Michael Doyle Bridget Sullivan marriage on this page please:

Specifically, the address of the groom and the names of the witnesses.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

Witnesses Michael Tuohy and May Darby. I need to do some work on the groom's addy.

Advertisement