Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handwriting decipher thread *must post link to full page*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭VirginiaB

I wondered about it being a version of Wren as I have found other Irish of that name in NYC. I'm still not sure about that first letter of the last name (or the last) tho definitely not W. The double middle initial is also a puzzle as I haven't seen that among the NY Irish at that date. One but not two. Thanks for these suggestions.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I thought Benn myself.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 13,463 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

American "Letters to the Editors" of the day (and later) often identified people (or rather, protected their identities) by printing only initials, their occupation or simply a clever title, along with their location... But not always, I assume it was up to the writer if they wanted their full name printed or not.

I assume Mary chose the former - Mary E.F. Renn. New York ... While Renn. could indciate a city within NY state, to my untrained eye, (after looking thru similar articles from 1881), Mary E.F. Renn. seems more likely a shortened version of her (possibly married surname - hence the extra initial for a maiden name), rather than having her full name printed... since most locations (from the articles I looked at) were not split up (city & state on different lines), nor did any print full stops at the end of full names.

Not sure why that last letter in Renn. looks almost like an S to me (?)

Post edited by Deja Boo on

I wondered if it was an S also but can't be sure. I have done a good bit of searching on Ancestry in the 1880 US census for New York County and have not found anything even slightly definitive for Mary. I think the text will have to suffice for my purposes. Hiding her full name is a very good thought. I thank everyone who studied this and came up with good suggestions.

And in case anyone wondered, the paper and editor she excoriates are the New York Evening Telegram and James Gordon Bennett Jr. His father, James Gordon Bennett Sr, was the editor and publisher of the New York Herald, the favorite newspaper of the New York Irish. The Herald's death notices are a goldmine of info. They often have parishes, townlands of origin, other relatives etc. I have not found the Telegram online but the Herald is, but unfortunately thru a pay site, Genealogy Bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

For anyone researching Cleveland, Ohio, relatives - the Cleveland Library Necrology files have old funeral notices.

Post edited by Lime Tree Farm on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

I’ve not seen a surname abbreviated but agree that initials were used. If it is not Benn the ‘Rens’ could be the town name – there is a Rensselaer in upstate NY. However, were an address abbreviated there usually would be a comma after the ‘F.’ What are the other letters to the ed. like?

Also, in 1880’s newspapers were typeset by hand, line by line in ‘forms’, so the typeface in each line varied, as the compositor picked individual letters from the tray, so there is no accurate means of comparing individual letters.

It’s a very literate letter and I suggest far above the language level ofa maid/house servant, Most servants were semi-literate, and while some in the 1880’s were better educated, they as a result had climbed the social ladder to better jobs. Could have been written by an Irish priest using a nom de plume!

J.G. Bennett Jnr has an interesting link with Ireland – Google the 1903 Gordon Bennett Cup.

I would agree wholeheartedly, it certainly appears that way.... only after looking at quite a few 'letters to the editor' last night, circa 1881 in New York, I didn't find a single one with a city listed on the first line, with the state underneath (and I tried, cos I assumed it surely had to be  Rensselaer as well, especially given the full stop at the end.)

Then again, I also did not find any surnames similarly abbreviated (but given the above and that pesky full stop, I just assumed her surname may've been shortened)....Granted the only news issues I had access to are the bigger New York newspapers, available online at Newspapers.com - I didn't get a chance to look thru any of the smaller papers for comparison - your comment about hand typesetting is a most valid point!

Hmmm....do you suppose, there is the remotest possibility she may've been a (Benn.) Bennett?

I would be reasonably confident that it is a surname – Benn, Renn, Rens – and not an abbreviation. Were it the Renselaer town name it would be on the next line before New York. It is a highly literate letter, good syntax, punctuation, etc. If the writer was a servant she was a governess!

I am confident that she was writing from New York (Manhattan). The last name is still a question mark but I'll keep looking. And I do think it is perfectly possible that Mary wrote this fiery letter herself. It's true not many Irish immigrant servants had that level of literacy but if she had been in the US a long time and read a lot, that could explain it. She was not alone in her skills.

Another possibility is that she was in an orphanage such as the ones run by the Sisters of Charity. They were up near St Patrick's Cathedral, one for boys, one for girls. One of my great-grandfathers and his siblings were 'half-orphans' and their mother placed them there--parents born Ireland, children born England. They got a good basic education and training for a trade. For girls, work as a servant was a common option. These trained and literate girls were always in demand.

One of my great-grandfathers spent his childhood in an English workhouse and then the NY orphanage. He was apprenticed to his trade but studied on his own at the Cooper Union, a free college for working men and women, and with a literary association. These were groups of young men who got together to read and discuss books as a form of self-education, popular at the time. He then got a civil service position with the post office and became the state legislative correspondent for the union of post office clerks. From such dire beginnings, he became highly literate and made his living thru that skill. So I believe an Irish servant could certainly have written that letter, with or without help.

• Advertisement

Can anyone decipher this 1855 marriage record? Brother of my great-great grandfather. The FindMyPast image is blurred, as you see. I can read the following--

"William Herrick, bachelor, ---------------- Drumcullen, Kings Co, and Margaret Nugent, spinster, ------------- Ashford, Co Limerick, Witnesses Michael --------- and Johanna Nugent.

It's from Church of the Transfiguration, Manhattan, 22 April 1855

Virginia - please link to the whole page.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I can't link to the website as FMP is a pay site. I tried as I have a subscription. I will send the page but it doesn't seem to zoom and so is too tiny to read. Will give it a try. Advice welcome. The marriage record of William Herrick and Margaret Nugent is the first one on the left-hand page.

... sorry, wrong church it appears ... seems that church had quite a history

Alas, that is the Episcopal church of the same name. Tricky!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Zoom in on your relevant fmp page, then do a simultaneous keyboard press of windows+shift+s keys, to take a screenshot of the zoomed section and save the clip. Attach the zoomed image to your message.

Sorry, have tried repeatedly to do a screenshot but nothing happens. I'm on a Windows 10 desktop. Plus I can't seem to figure out how to do an attachment here, rather than an inserted image, in the new boards.ie. Can't find directions in 'help'. I took a photo of part of the page with my phone. This has been very frustrating.

Here is the info again--

"William Herrick, bachelor, 20? 30? yrs, 105? Mott St, [his NY address] Drumcullen, Kings Co, and Margaret Nugent, spinster, ------------- Ashford, Co Limerick, Witnesses Michael --------- and Johanna Nugent."

It's from the RC Church of the Transfiguration, Manhattan, 22 April 1855. Interesting that the priest wrote Kings County which is Brooklyn rather than the correct Co Kings which is Ireland. Not the first time I have seen that error. All or almost all of these records are people from Ireland.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Although the convention in Ireland is usually County Dublin rather than Dublin County, in the case of Laois and Offaly, when they were renamed in the 16th century the convention was reversed and they were known as Queen's County and King's County respectively.

If you're having difficulty creating a screenshot you could try saving the image, opening it in Paint and cropping it.

To post a link to an image you may need to save the image to a hosting site first but there's no problem inserting the image in your post.

That only becomes an issue if inserting multiple or very large images in a post - then inserting links may be the better option.

Post edited by Hermy on

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭55Gem

Had a go a sharping it up a bit, not much better though. I hazard a guess William is 24 and Margaret is 20 or 21.

I think Mott or Matt St is correct, is there a street called Bon Smyth or similar?

Thanks for that. William was about 21 at this time so those ages are close. I agree it's Mott Street as William's brother was at 105 Mott Street at this time. There is no Bon Smyth as far as I know.

Hermy, thanks for the Kings County/Co Kings info. I did know about the name changes back and forth. As for the images, I try to save everything on my hard drive as jpgs. Then I can do all kinds of things--cropping, editing etc. I just don't seem to be able to send images as attachments here anymore.

• Advertisement

Interested in opinions on the father's name of Charles Gillard, first entry on this page please.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1893/10599/5861034.pdf

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭stopthevoting

Very hard to read but I think it could be Philip. The first letter could be P with the curve missing (it looks somewhat similar to the P in Patrick for the priest's name), the second letter looks like the H in Bachelor, the third letter could be I without a dot (and there are missing dots on other I's on the page), the fifth letter looks more like E than I, but it does look the same as the first I in "City of Dublin" at the top, the last letter could possibly be P. I was considering Philey but I think it is Philip.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

At first glance I thought 'Tulip'! However, I agree that Philip is a better fit with the handwriting. Pity really, Tulip might have been a great talking point in your family! 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Could it be Charlie, or Phillip?

The address looks like 35 Mary st.

There were Gillards there in 1901 census, but no sign of Dad,

just a Teresa aged 52 and her daughter Marion aged 26.

Cold that be the family?

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/North_City/Mary_Street/1333112/

Thanks all. I thought Philip too but feared it was wishful thinking. That is the same family there later on. Teresa is (now confirmed) as his sister-in-law.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭dylbert

Looking for help making out the addresses for Leo Traynor and Violet McKeag, Thanks.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1938/08879/5211258.pdf

For the groom, it looks like 111 St Ethna's Rd Cabra, which seems to be spelled as St Eithne's Rd on current maps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭dylbert

Looking at it again I wonder if the brides address could be 29 Avondale Avenue?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭crossman47

Think brides could be Enaville Avenue (near North Strand).

• Advertisement

Yes, I think that is correct, with a single number in front of it, maybe 2 or 7.

Advertisement