Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Number of teachers unemployed

Options
  • 07-07-2015 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭

Wondering if the Unions or anyone has an actual figure for teachers with no work or those that don't have a CID.
    Just reading the posts here the past 6 months and the situation seems even much worse now than in the early years of the recession from 2008-2010.
    It just seems to be an issue that is never mentioned in the media and beyond teachers and their families nobody appears to realise how bad the situation is

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

See the Ward Report for the statistics on teachers' contracts - those without CID, working part time etc. Very comprehensive. That gives a good picture of the huge scale of the problem of underemployment, and shows the break down across sectors (hint: one sector is much worse than the others, to nobody's surprise I'm sure). I think this has definitely been a rapidly growing problem over the past 8-10 years. The new circular should improve the problem of security of hours but it doesn't tackle the problem of hours in itself.

It would be very interesting to see some good stats on unemployment too though.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

I would absolutely hate to be job hunting at the minute.
    NPTs have my full sympathy.
    It has to be the most soul destroying thing, to try get your foot in the door somewhere only to have the door constantly slammed in your face.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Right now it's a double edged sword.

There are very few jobs advertised at the moment, and the already long Summers are even longer when you're unemployed, broke and applying for any hours you can find, usually in vein.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

It's hard to put an exact figure on it I'd say. A teacher working a measly hours contract is classed as employed, but it's not enough to live on, and if all those small hours contracts were combined as far as possible in schools then there would be more teachers unemployed. Plenty doing the dip too and not getting jobs so they go away and work at something else.

If it was possible even to take a snapshot of what is going on with graduates say from 2015 from all the teacher training degrees, all the PME students, Hibernia etc. and see how many of them have a job in September.

Break it down into contracted hours (own hours) 18-22, 11-18, <11; maternity and sick leaves; casual subbing; employed but not in education; unemployed.

It would give a more realistic view of employment prospects in teaching.

Of course none of the third level colleges are going to publish those stats. The PME is a big money spinner for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭DK man

Teaching is one of the worst options any young person could consider.

I'm now cid but you will be treated like absolute dung by the system if u are a young enthusiastic teacher......

I worked with a young girl about 6 years ago she was in our school for a few years dong maternity leave and sick leave etc... Hadn't seen her for @6 years and was shocked to see her back again - for a few days filling in... This girl qualified about 12 years ago! And she is still on the abusive sitting at home waiting for the phone to ring merry go round...

The unions are a disgrace - apart from your money they don't give a sh1 t about part time teachers... A big disgrace. Teaching in Ireland is going down the British route where teachers seem to bail out after a few years.

I'm now cid but only after years of being fc uked about - i have spent hours in staff rooms waiting to be called for a few classes - scraps! Can u imagine a Garda or nurse waiting around at the work stations to see if it gets busy and they are needed? Bull crap - their unions would never allow such exploitation....

I'm too far in the system now to head off and I have mortgage etc to keep me clamped - but if u are a smart young person with a good leaving cert..... Don't bother putting yourself through 10 years of exploitation for the chance of a job when you will be well paid elsewhere and valued

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

See the Ward Report for the statistics on teachers' contracts - those without CID, working part time etc. Very comprehensive. That gives a good picture of the huge scale of the problem of underemployment, and shows the break down across sectors (hint: one sector is much worse than the others, to nobody's surprise I'm sure). I think this has definitely been a rapidly growing problem over the past 8-10 years. The new circular should improve the problem of security of hours but it doesn't tackle the problem of hours in itself.

It would be very interesting to see some good stats on unemployment too though.

That's the nub of it really. It's ironic to hear Joan Burton laying it on heavy to Dunnes Stores owners but not a whit to dept. of education on the hours culture.

Whatever you may say about the UK system, from what I know they don't have this 'hours' nonsense.

i'm just amazed people still want to 'get into teaching'. It really is becoming a vocation.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Heydeldel

I'm three years out of the dip (not long compared to some here, I know) , I've given myself a deadline. If I don't have work by October/November this year I'll cut my loses and work at something else.

So many people here advise jobseekers to 'hang in there' but should we be more realistic and change track?

Heydeldel wrote: »
    I'm three years out of the dip (not long compared to some here, I know) , I've given myself a deadline. If I don't have work by October/November this year I'll cut my loses and work at something else.

So many people here advise jobseekers to 'hang in there' but should we be more realistic and change track?

Honestly I don't anymore. When my LC students ask me about teaching sadly I have to say 'consider another career'.

There are other jobs out there with better pay and less stress and if said job is offered, full hours. No working 6 hours a week ****e and being made to feel like you should feel grateful for having enough hours to pay the same as the dole.

It must be hard for anyone who has recently qualified as a teacher and does want to teach, but the employment conditions are not attractive enough anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

I've asked before how many researchers the ASTI/TUI have because it is vital that our negotiators have stats on what's happening.

On DPA/data protection grounds alone, I don't know if the unions would be able to trace, say, the whereabouts of all people who completed teacher qualification in the past, say, 15 years (There were about 240 students in my year).

If all students registered for their course with a PPS, it should be easy enough to trace their current whereabouts and because they aren't being named maybe the DPA wouldn't apply?

Going on property prices alone, I'd be fairly certain there are far fewer people on part-time hour contracts for the past 15 years in Dublin - unless their accommodation is free or they have a trust fund.

gaiscioch wrote: »
    I've asked before how many researchers the ASTI/TUI have because it is vital that our negotiators have stats on what's happening.

On DPA/data protection grounds alone, I don't know if the unions would be able to trace, say, the whereabouts of all people who completed teacher qualification in the past, say, 15 years (There were about 240 students in my year).

If all students registered for their course with a PPS, it should be easy enough to trace their current whereabouts and because they aren't being named maybe the DPA wouldn't apply?

Going on property prices alone, I'd be fairly certain there are far fewer people on part-time hour contracts for the past 15 years in Dublin - unless their accommodation is free or they have a trust fund.

Colleges wouldn't have the right to give out student information to the unions even if they have it.

Under DPA they can only use data for their own purposes, so contacting current and former students, can't pass on your PPS/contact details to outside party.

Even if they did, unions would have to trace those people through Revenue/Dept of Social Welfare. That's not going to happen either.

There are (anecdotally) far fewer people on part time hours in Dublin, but that's where most movement in jobs is. People take jobs in Dublin to get experience, but then want to move home/move somewhere cheaper. Even the job swap thread on here tends to be people looking to get out of Dublin and looking for a swap, which to be honest is unlikely.

• Advertisement

Really? In my experience part time hours are just as prevalent in Dublin and surrounding counties!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,925 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

two of my cousins(teachers) fecked off ta abu dhabi couple of years ago. havent looked back since. sad to see theres still a serious problem here

Really? In my experience part time hours are just as prevalent in Dublin and surrounding counties!

How can they afford Dublin rents on part-time hours? The teachers I know who have been on part-time hours in Dublin for years all live with their parents. Teachers from outside Dublin generally can't afford to be on part-time hours for years in Dublin.

How can they afford Dublin rents on part-time hours? The teachers I know who have been on part-time hours in Dublin for years all live with their parents. Teachers from outside Dublin generally can't afford to be on part-time hours for years in Dublin.

They house share or they commute long distances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Yup ... live with parents or supporting partner. I do know of a few that have just enough hours to stay above water on their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 hdipdilemma

I commuted to Dublin from Longford for 2 years and I know of 4 other post primary teachers who are doing the same and have been for many years

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

DK man wrote: »

The unions are a disgrace - apart from your money they don't give a sh1 t about part time teachers... A big disgrace. Teaching in Ireland is going down the British route where teachers seem to bail out after a few years.

d

What do you suggest the unions do? When I started teaching in 1981 part time teachers had absolutely nothing. No CID's, no pro rata. They just picked up work as it turned up and signed on during the holidays. There are still teachers in that situation, but far less, because the unions have got agreements on CID contracts, and improved terms and conditions for part time teachers in other ways. So what else do you want them to do? And what are you doing about it from within the union?

Heydeldel wrote: »

It took me ten years to get a proper job, and that was back in the eighties. If you really want to teach, you'll stick at it; part time, night classes, teaching TEFL in the summer, working in grind schools. Even going abroad, as I had to do. It will pay off in the end, if you stick at it. But you have to want to...

Yes, but living costs are higher, so it's harder to keep your head above water.

katydid wrote: »
    Yes, but living costs are higher, so it's harder to keep your head above water.

Yes I know only too well. I live and work in Dublin on part time hours, which are, in my experience, just as prevalent in Dublin.

I understand your comment re sticking at teaching but things have changed since the 80s. Casualisation nowadays means sticking at it won't necessarily get you any more than part time hours. That's all that's on offer in large sections of teaching no matter what you do. Many part timers today are well past ten years trying at this stage. I think it's wise to look at other options and be realistic.

• Advertisement

Yes I know only too well. I live and work in Dublin on part time hours, which are, in my experience, just as prevalent in Dublin.

I understand your comment re sticking at teaching but things have changed since the 80s. Casualisation nowadays means sticking at it won't necessarily get you any more than part time hours. That's all that's on offer in large sections of teaching no matter what you do. Many part timers today are well past ten years trying at this stage. I think it's wise to look at other options and be realistic.

I do appreciate that things are different now in terms of getting secure employment at the end. But I believe that you either have teaching in your gut or not, and if you have, it's worth sticking at. If you give up,and settle for something else, you might regret it in the long term. Of course it depends on your personal circumstances; we don't all have the luxury of choice, but if it can be financially possible, and if you really want to teach, it is worth considering sticking at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Wexford96

Hi.
    Would anyone be able to tell me if there is a website which advertises secondary teaching positions. I've seen educationposts.ie but it seems to be mostly primary positions. Does Secondary have a definite website which schools, VECs etc use for hiring?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Wexford96 wrote: »
    Hi.
    Would anyone be able to tell me if there is a website which advertises secondary teaching positions. I've seen educationposts.ie but it seems to be mostly primary positions. Does Secondary have a definite website which schools, VECs etc use for hiring?
    Thanks.

Educationposts is the most used - go to the home page and change the sector to second level.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭The Bogman

Wexford96 wrote:
    Hi. Would anyone be able to tell me if there is a website which advertises secondary teaching positions. I've seen educationposts.ie but it seems to be mostly primary positions. Does Secondary have a definite website which schools, VECs etc use for hiring? Thanks.

There are v few 2nd level jobs advertised on edposts recently,mainly because it's July....a month ago there were over 1000 2nd level jobs on it....granted a lot probably readvertisements

Wexford96 wrote: »
    Hi.
    Thanks.

Educationposts it is, although now and again an odd real job in Ireland comes up on educationcareers, which is really recruiting for the yellow pack English system. I'd also check each of the VEC/ETB vacancy websites because they, too, are not putting all their vacancies on a centralised website.

Publicjobs.ie also has 2nd level jobs, although usually at higher levels like principal/deputy principal/inspector, etc (I think I also saw vacancies in the European Schools there a few months ago). On publicjobs you can search by keyword like "education" or "teach", which saves a lot of time.

In sharp contrast, on educationposts.ie the whizzkids will not allow you to search all of Ireland in one go (they used to), and they won't allow you to search by your subject, so best of luck searching each of the 32 counties separately for a job!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Educationposts it is, although now and again an odd real job in Ireland comes up on educationcareers, which is really recruiting for the yellow pack English system. I'd also check each of the VEC/ETB vacancy websites because they, too, are not putting all their vacancies on a centralised website.

Publicjobs.ie also has 2nd level jobs, although usually at higher levels like principal/deputy principal/inspector, etc (I think I also saw vacancies in the European Schools there a few months ago). On publicjobs you can search by keyword like "education" or "teach", which saves a lot of time.

In sharp contrast, on educationposts.ie the whizzkids will not allow you to search all of Ireland in one go (they used to), and they won't allow you to search by your subject, so best of luck searching each of the 32 counties separately for a job!

You can go through your emails either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

I just graduated this June as a secondary school teacher. The above posts are quite hard to read for someone whose just graduated.
    Its a pity we weren't told anything about the job situation while we were in college..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Corkgirl18 wrote: »
    I just graduated this June as a secondary school teacher. The above posts are quite hard to read for someone whose just graduated.
    Its a pity we weren't told anything about the job situation while we were in college..

Why would they? They don't care about you after your studies? When I did my PGDE a few years ago we were told on the first day that there were loads of jobs but on the day we finished we were told most of us would find it difficult to find work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

Corkgirl18 wrote: »

They didn't tell you before you entered the course how bad it is. And has been for quite some time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭GSOIRL

Even the ones lucky enough to get work are being treated unequally by being put on a much lower pay scale.

Advertisement