Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair to start flights to Israel.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Can we keep the discussion to aviation related matters only please,there's a whole forum dedicated to regional politics if you feel that way inclined.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

billie1b wrote: »
    What would the distance be (flying distance) to Eilat Airport from DUB, if anybody could calculate it

http://www.distancefromto.net/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Why don't they do routes to Ukraine yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,257 ✭✭✭✭Victor

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malaysia_Airlines_Flight_17

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

wonski wrote: »

is there a web site to calculate flight times?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

crazygeryy wrote: »
    is there a web site to calculate flight times?

you can use http://skyvector.com/

select your route and for speed put 420kt for jets (depending on winds and company policies it can be anywhere from 350 to 600 on a strong jet stream, but 420 would be a good guess)

that should give you a fairly accurate flight time + add 20-30 minutes on top of it for departure, approach and landing phases when the plane is slower

this is for rough estimates only. As you know, planes don't always travel a straight path to avoid other traffic, weather, winds and so on..

for turboprops, it really depends what it is.. F50 will be slower than ATRs.. ATR42 is slower than ATR72.. Q400 I guess is faster than all of them, so I can't give you an average number for those..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,108 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Bayberry wrote: »
    It's 2600 miles from Dublin to Eilat - it's only 2950 miles to Boston, and there'd be a lot more traffic on that route, and with immigration/customs pre-clearance in Dublin, there would be dozens of regional airports that FR could fly directly to, if they wanted to deal with routes of that length.

Ryanair won't be flying transatlantic, its a completely different ball game. You will alot sooner see Eilat than St. Johns, which is probably shorter. So it is doable on a 738-800 with a meaningful load? If so we may see something soon.

Fees for TATL are very high and its something FR won't want to tackle under the same extreme low cost company, as it may threaten its reputation and name.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Victor wrote: »

I think this is a fair enough question actually. The trouble in Ukraine (and the area where MH17 was shot down) is in the extreme east and south of the country. It's a very big place, and most of Ukraine enjoys an uneasy peace at the moment.

Three destinations stand out: Kiev, Odessa and Lviv - all three very beautiful cities with loads to do. Maybe Odessa is a little close to the trouble, but Kiev is a long way away, even if it does see quite a few anti-government protests. Lviv is even further away, and is one of the loveliest cities I've ever visited - like an undiscovered Prague. I'll be the first on board if they start flying in there!

Maybe the reason they don't go there is more because the economy is in the toilet than anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭trellheim

Dublin Larnaca is most of the way and that is or was 737 served IIRC being on one of them ... Eilat doesn't look too much farther . Can't see them doing it in < 5 hours though which kind of breaks the FR model.

• Advertisement

trellheim wrote: »
    Dublin Larnaca is most of the way and that is or was 737 served IIRC being on one of them ... Eilat doesn't look too much farther . Can't see them doing it in < 5 hours though which kind of breaks the FR model.

So the Scandinavia-Canary Islands that they have done for years is somehow an exception to that rule?

Carnacalla wrote: »
    So it is doable on a 738-800 with a meaningful load? If so we may see something soon.

yes, range wise it's doable, but just because plane can make it, I don't think is enough basis to start a route. I don't think there's enough interest between Irish to go to Israel or Israelis to come over.

The announced 3 routes have a lot to do with Israelis wanting to visit historical WW2 places and memorials, labor camps and so on. Incidentally these 3 countries, or regions are where a lot of Jews ended up in after WW2, so you can speculate that it's this crowd who would be the first in line to buy tickets in opposite direction. So I don't think we'll see a route from Ireland anytime soon

martinsvi wrote: »
    yes, range wise it's doable, but just because plane can make it, I don't think is enough basis to start a route. I don't think there's enough interest between Irish to go to Israel or Israelis to come over.

The announced 3 routes have a lot to do with Israelis wanting to visit historical WW2 places and memorials, labor camps and so on. Incidentally these 3 countries, or regions are where a lot of Jews ended up in after WW2, so you can speculate that it's this crowd who would be the first in line to buy tickets in opposite direction. So I don't think we'll see a route from Ireland anytime soon

I agree that the routes chosen are the right ones and think they will do well, but I think we may see something from DUB soon. Look at the UK, EZY fly to LTN, LGW and MAN fr TLV. I'd imagine that in that case RYR could manage a market from Ireland, especially if the price is right. "A cheap winter sun destination alternative to the Canaries".

fricatus wrote: »
    Three destinations stand out: Kiev, Odessa and Lviv - all three very beautiful cities with loads to do. ....

Maybe the reason they don't go there is more because the economy is in the toilet than anything else?

Tourism alone will not support these destinations, you need either business ties or immigration between them. None of that is the case for either Ukraine, Russia or Israel..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

fricatus wrote: »
    I think this is a fair enough question actually. The trouble in Ukraine (and the area where MH17 was shot down) is in the extreme east and south of the country. It's a very big place, and most of Ukraine enjoys an uneasy peace at the moment.

Three destinations stand out: Kiev, Odessa and Lviv - all three very beautiful cities with loads to do. Maybe Odessa is a little close to the trouble, but Kiev is a long way away, even if it does see quite a few anti-government protests. Lviv is even further away, and is one of the loveliest cities I've ever visited - like an undiscovered Prague. I'll be the first on board if they start flying in there!

You can fly to Rzesow and then get the train to Lviv. Ok, the train adds about 3 hours to the journey, but travelling by train in that part of the country is a lot of fun.

martinsvi wrote: »
    Tourism alone will not support these destinations, you need either business ties or immigration between them. None of that is the case for either Ukraine, Russia or Israel..

May I ask why? It's not like Immigrants spent more money than the average tourist. I can see the business ties part of it but I'm not sure it seals the deal. Also if any of these countries enter the EU (Ukraine I'm looking at you) then im sure there will be alot of Ukrainians supporting the Irish company Ryanair once they immigrate across Europe.

May I ask why? It's not like Immigrants spent more money than the average tourist. I can see the business ties part of it but I'm not sure it seals the deal. Also if any of these countries enter the EU (Ukraine I'm looking at you) then im sure there will be alot of Ukrainians supporting the Irish company Ryanair once they immigrate across Europe.

It doesn't matter how much immigrants spend, what matters is how often they travel! How much tourists do you think travel between two countries? As far as I remember, there were seasonal flights between the two countries ages ago and Ireland was quite popular between Israelis , but then celtic tiger happened, and basically a lot of them realized that they can get better value elsewhere. Nothing has really changed in that matter and you would still struggle to find enough tourists in any given day to fill a plane. That's why you have to look for immigrants or business people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

Very Bored wrote: »
    Don't get why this thread has seen attempts to turn it into a political issue. Its about airline routes, not political issues. Very sad how some can't leave their anti-Israeli views aside.

Easyjet have been running cheap routes to Israel (and other middle haul destinations like Russia) for some time. Personally, I would go there on holiday tomorrow if my wife would agree to go. Same with Russia.

I have been a few times. Fascinating place. Jerusalem is an open air museum really - incredible sense of history everywhere. I also loved Caesarea. Tel Aviv is not all that interesting - a great souk and a really nice beach but not much else. The coast is gorgeous and the terrain is desert like and very biblical looking.
    Well worth a visit - really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Long Time Lurker

Very Bored wrote: »
    Don't get why this thread has seen attempts to turn it into a political issue. Its about airline routes, not political issues. Very sad how some can't leave their anti-Israeli views aside.

Really?

You really wonder! Go figure!

Really?

You really wonder! Go figure!
    lord lucan wrote: »
    Can we keep the discussion to aviation related matters only please,there's a whole forum dedicated to regional politics if you feel that way inclined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Very Bored

Thanks LorMal for your informative post. I really would love to go there. Maybe one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

While I'd prefer to keep my nose out of Israel, I should point out that Arkia have started their weekly seasonal B753 from Tel Eviv to Dublin last Wednesday. Not sure on frequency but I believe it's weekly. If a 753 is economical on this, I assume Ryanair could at the very least break even on the route.

Try booking on Arkia, I've tried this year and last and still can't figure out how to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

Try booking on Arkia, I've tried this year and last and still can't figure out how to.

Try Skyscanner and filter to direct only. I'm not even going to try navigating that website ;) .

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭mufflets2

Who would want to go to that rogue criminal country,

I would rather go to gaza and holiday in a refugee camp than have anything to do with that place

mufflets2 wrote: »
    Who would want to go to that rogue criminal country,

I would rather go to gaza and holiday in a refugee camp than have anything to do with that place

For God sake if you must discuss don't ruin this thread and follow Lord Lucan's instructions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

For God sake if you must discuss don't ruin this thread and follow Lord Lucan's instructions.

Good advice but can you leave the modding to us please,thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭etselbbuns

Ryanair extends its tentacles southeastwards this winter

Expansion from Eilat to Baden Baden, Berlin, Brussels Charleroi, Frankfurt Hahn, Gdansk, Milan Bergamo, Poznan,Warsaw.

Further expansion from TelAviv to Baden Baden, Gdansk, Krakow, Milan Bergamo, Poznan, Wroclaw

Advertisement