Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair to start flights to Israel.

Options
  • 07-07-2015 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,108 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.newstalk.com/Ryanair-Israel-Eilat-Ovda-Airport-Budapest-Kaunas-Krakow
    Newstalk wrote:
    It will launch routes to Budapest, Kaunas and Krakow

Ryanair has announced it is to start flying from Israel from November.

This will see it launch three new routes at Eilat Ovda Airport to Budapest, Kaunas and Krakow.

Its Israeli operations will see it fly the three new routes twice weekly.

This means six weekly return flights to and from Israel's second international airport.

The airline says it will continue to negotiate with the Israeli authorities over future routes, and looks forward to growing Israeli tourism, traffic and jobs.

Seats for the routes go on sale from tomorrow for travel in November and December.

Could this be a new era for Ryanair? It will be interesting to see when/if they expand into western Europe. Israel never really struck me as a destination I wanted to go to but would definitely be more inclined to go with low cost flights there. With this expansion into Israel could we see routes to the likes of the U.A.E?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

At first I was skeptical, but looking at where that airport is located, I realized, it's right next to Red Sea, I was there on the Jordan side in Aqaba few years ago, superb gem, perfect for snorkeling and diving. Perfect sun destination basically. Too bad Israel is what it is..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,806 ✭✭✭billie1b

What would the distance be (flying distance) to Eilat Airport from DUB, if anybody could calculate it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

billie1b wrote: »
    What would the distance be (flying distance) to Eilat Airport from DUB, if anybody could calculate it

2295 nautical miles, 4251 km.

For comparison, Las Palmas is 1581 nm/ 2928 km.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,257 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I don't think it's as radical as some in the media are suggesting - Rayanir have spent their entire time expanding east and south.

http://www.ryanair.com/ie/cheap-flight-destinations/ - they might recognise the separation of Transjordan. :pac:
    billie1b wrote: »
    http://www.gcmap.com/dist?P=ETH-DUB 2641 miles / 4251 km, give or take.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Ryanair get a huge subsidy to bring passengers to Eilat.
    From October 6th the ministry of tourism will reimburse airline operators €45 for every passenger flying to Eilat’s Ovda Airport, up to a total of €1 million per annum per airline. The incentive will remain in place until April 22nd, 2016.
    http://airlines.einnews.com/article/260589535/b9300wIiAlEnn8Lb?continued=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,108 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

€45 per passenger? Wow! I'd imagine a route to western Europe eg Ireland, UK, France, Germany, Holland would be better at bringing in the Tourists.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭paska

I wonder will be doing flights from Israel to the hague @ €45 one way? It will be the cheapest way to fly the Israeli government to face their crimes when the USA get bored with them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

paska wrote: »
    I wonder will be doing flights from Israel to the hague @ €45 one way? It will be the cheapest way to fly the Israeli government to face their crimes when the USA get bored with them.
    Well no. As you'd have to bring the passenger to Israel to avail of the subsidy :cool:

How could an airline not take advantage of such an state subsidy anyway?
    Makes you wonder how much higher airports can go to incentivise airlines to choose them as a destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

One country I would never bother with in a million years

fr336 wrote: »
    One country I would never bother with in a million years

I would consider it considering they speak alot of English there. I may look at transitting SNN-KUN/KRK-That Israel place to have a look over. Very cheap by the looks of it. Full of culture over there and its not the poorest place in the world.

• Advertisement

Carnacalla wrote: »
    I would consider it considering they speak alot of English there. I may look at transitting SNN-KUN/KRK-That Israel place to have a look over. Very cheap by the looks of it. Full of culture over there and its not the poorest place in the world.

Well, stay safe and that.

Well, stay safe and that.

Ah there's problems there but its not exactly Somalia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Very Bored

Don't get why this thread has seen attempts to turn it into a political issue. Its about airline routes, not political issues. Very sad how some can't leave their anti-Israeli views aside.

Easyjet have been running cheap routes to Israel (and other middle haul destinations like Russia) for some time. Personally, I would go there on holiday tomorrow if my wife would agree to go. Same with Russia.

Ah there's problems there but its not exactly Somalia.

No, I just...well I'd prefer Ireland myself :cool:

Very Bored wrote: »
    Don't get why this thread has seen attempts to turn it into a political issue. Its about airline routes, not political issues. Very sad how some can't leave their anti-Israeli views aside.

Attempts? To what end? People just happen to be human and spill what's on their mind, not everything is a conspiracy. As far as I know nothing on the internet has to be cemented into law...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Personally, I would go there on holiday tomorrow if my wife would agree to go. Same with Russia.

Why don't you ask your wife to give you your balls back and just go on your own?

Why don't you ask your wife to give you your balls back and just go on your own?

Ah this place is some craic....:pac: It must feel like a playground to the mods

Attempts? To what end? People just happen to be human and spill what's on their mind, not everything is a conspiracy. As far as I know nothing on the internet has to be cemented into law...

Fair play, I happen to be pro-Israeli and so am particularly happy about the possibility of low cost flights to a country I have always wanted to visit, lets see how that admission goes down eh...

I go to Italy alone between five to six times a year to watch my football team (Inter)... is that balls enough :P?

Fair play, I happen to be pro-Israeli and so am particularly happy about the possibility of low cost flights to a country I have always wanted to visit, lets see how that admission goes down eh...

Oh poor little Israel, like they don't get enough defence, I think they're well catered for in terms of people in this neck of the woods lining up to count them as a fully fledged member of the democratic west. Personally I don't.

• Advertisement

Maybe this discussion may belong in the Politics Cafe?

Oh poor little Israel, like they don't get enough defence, I think they're well catered for in terms of people in this neck of the woods lining up to count them as a fully fledged member of the democratic west. Personally I don't.

In fact, in the west by the general population, they get nothing but attacked.
    Maybe this discussion may belong in the Politics Cafe?

My point exactly. How sad that an issue regarding airlines and destinations immediately succumbed to political commentary. Had it been any country bar Israel which was being discussed the conversation would have remained on travel issues, but, unfortunately, there are anti-semitic discourses which must be outed any time the word Israel is mentioned and subsequently the thread automatically derails itself.

In my opinion, it is a huge positive if there are more Ryanair links eastward. The more the world narrows, the more the world will come together through mutual experience. Easyjet already offers low-fare links between the UK and Israel, from more than one location, so its good if Ryanair also points in that direction as it means Ireland may, one day, have similar links. I would suggest that there should also be a similar move towards Russia. Easyjet already links the UK to Russia on a no frills package so why should Ireland not have a similar option?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Things like the church of the holy sepulcher are kind of bucket list things for me.... Long old flight in a Ryanair jet though.

Things like the church of the holy sepulcher are kind of bucket list things for me.... Long old flight in a Ryanair jet though.

The history in Israel is unbelievable. My bucket list is Russia (Moscow, St. Peterburg and I desperately want to do the Trans-Siberian Railway) and Israel. Such an incredible amount of history, from vastly different eras, in both countries.

there are anti-semitic discourses which must be outed any time the word Israel is mentioned and subsequently the thread automatically derails itself.

This just derails your 'argument' completely - shambolic. Not supportive of Israel policy = anti-semitic. Have a word with yourself. That you use that shows you have no belief in anything else you say about Israel. Pathetic.

Would a direct flight be possible from Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,257 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think yes. However, I'm not sure if it could carry full load and that would affect the economics. Much more likely in the Ryanair model would be (not) connecting flights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

In a quick survey of 25 ex soldiers in the Curragh who were peace-keepers in Israel/Lebanon 23 said they'd love to go back for a visit if cheap flights were available. Survey carried out by me.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

It's 2600 miles from Dublin to Eilat - it's only 2950 miles to Boston, and there'd be a lot more traffic on that route, and with immigration/customs pre-clearance in Dublin, there would be dozens of regional airports that FR could fly directly to, if they wanted to deal with routes of that length.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Wizzair has had a regular connection with Tel Aviv for long time now.

Not connected to Ireland, but I could fly from KTW (Katowice, Poland) to Tel Aviv for €60 on 19/07 . Even if you add the cost of flying from Dublin to KTW it is very good price.

I believe they (RyanAir) realized that if one of their competitors can do it, then why not.

The only problem for passengers flying from Ireland is that extra flight to Poland to get to Israel.

All new routes announcements are good for us, passengers.
    Especialy when this news comes from RyanAir.

Advertisement