Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

******** BOARDS SSF PHOTOBOOK LAUNCH - THIS SATURDAY 5th September 2015 *********

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭secman

As it happens I paid for postage and 2 copies, i am away this weekend so can't make it. I take it I will get them in the post next week. Best of luck on the night and the photo walk. Looking forward to seeing the book.
    A big , big "thank you" to everyone who put such an effort in to putting this together and hopefully you have a lovely day tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

secman wrote: »
    As it happens I paid for postage and 2 copies, i am away this weekend so can't make it. I take it I will get them in the post next week. Best of luck on the night and the photo walk. Looking forward to seeing the book.
    A big , big "thank you" to everyone who put such an effort in to putting this together and hopefully you have a lovely day tomorrow.

Yep that is the plan! Looking forward to it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

I should be there tomorrow night. I think I paid for postage of the book originally so if I can pick it up tomorrow evening you can add the €8 postage to the kitty, if thats not too messy.

adox wrote: »
    I should be there tomorrow night. I think I paid for postage of the book originally so if I can pick it up tomorrow evening you can add the €8 postage to the kitty, if thats not too messy.

Thanks adox, I don't have the money as it was paid directly to boards.ie this year so it would be pretty messy trying to figure out refunds! We'll put it to the Santa Strike Force charity if that's ok.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I need to arrange how to Skype into the event tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭inkedpt

Tiriel wrote: »
    Ah go on! I want to try out that trick you had last time of zooming in/out as you were taking the shot, that was you wasn't it?! I guess I'll have to wait until dark for that though most likely :)

I was one of yea, but the_syco and Loki98 we're the ones who taught me :)

Time for a drink :-)
    See you all shortly!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Caban Sail... if someone hasn't already sorted it, PM me your skype and we'll hook up in some way!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭MysticalRain

Where exactly is the Boards office on South William Street?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Walking towards Break for the Border its on your right. It looks like this:

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3413668,-6.2631043,3a,75y,297.2h,75.25t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1skwQ4aMOzlw1yWUwI6X28oA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

It is a red-brick old (slightly grungy!) looking building with a small amount of graffiti near the doorbell. (I'm really selling it aren't I! :) )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭inkedpt

I'm running slightly late, but I'll be there

Cabansaaaaaaail :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I am here via Skype!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Apologies I didn't get to the launch or to pick up my book. Maybe I can arrange to collect it sometime soon.

Very enjoyable evening. Was great to see a few people I had met previously and to put some faces to names I hadn't met before.

Book looks great. Thanks to all who helped organise it and let's hope there was plenty raised for such a great cause.

Think we should investigate a second print run to raise money for SSF.

I know the image quality is superb and if the printing matches then it should sell at €20 a copy.

Was great to be sort of there courtesy of Skype. It meant getting up before sparrow's f@rt to be ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Apologies I didn't get to the launch or to pick up my book. Maybe I can arrange to collect it sometime soon.

Me and Dani picked up your book for you. So its now at least in your locale.

We'll send the ransom note at a later date... :)

Hey all,

Sorry for slight delay in posting, I had such a good night - I hope you did too!

First of all I need to say a huge thank you to those who sponsored raffle prizes -

Complete Fitness (Pembroke St.) kindly donated 5 classes to the value of €85 which was won by none other than DeVore himself. We look forward to an update Tom! Thank you Dylan and everyone in Complete Fitness, the prize is much appreciated.
    logo.png
    Web: http://completefitness.ie/
    FB: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Complete-Fitness/115491918480817
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZAZ9ER-x1y8XqtWhNoFExA/videos

As we wandered on our Photowalk on Saturday we found ourselves in the Bumbleance talking to a really nice guy - shout out to Matt. As it turned out, Matt is also in the National Ambulance Service Pipes and Drums band who have recently published a wonderful book themselves to raise funds for the Pipe Band. He kindly arranged for a colleague to go out to Swords and pick up a copy of the book so that we could have it in our raffle! The book is a pictorial history of the Ambulance Vehicles of Ireland and was won on the night by Obrano's +1.
    The book is on sale now and can be bought by contacting the NAS band through their facebook page linked above - for anyone with an interest in history and vehicles etc. it's a great publication and well worth supporting.
    8569269993_b518099193_n.jpgNational Ambulance Service Pipes and Drums by Greg Clarke, on Flickr

A copy of David Gibson's Street Photography book was donated by our own Eyeblinks and was won by mystic86 - whom I'm sure will really enjoy it. Thank you Tommie!

The other prizes on the night included whiskey, beer and chocolates and went to various members - with all proceeds going into the Santa Strike Force collection pot. Thank you all for buying raffle tickets and supporting the cause!!

I have to say thank you to Dav for all of his work in setting up for the night, buying the wine, arranging the launch and everything else he has been doing behind the scenes.

This year's book was printed by Lettertec Ireland who are the guys behind Self Publish Books. Thank you to Andrew in particular who took on board our design and have delivered exactly what we wanted. It's great to have been able to have the books printed in Ireland with such great service.
    lettertec-ireland.jpg
    Thank you to Ceacg for arranging the Photowalk, we definitely earned that dinner with the miles we put in! We were really lucky with the weather and the locations provided lots of opportunities with the Emergency Services event in Trinity and a fundraiser fairy party with storm troopers in the grounds of St. Patrick's Cathedral. Thanks Emily!

Thank you to Cabansail for mastering the software and doing the design, you took it on not having used it before and fair play you nailed it :)

Thank you to Art_Deko who gave a super presentation on the night, catering to all of our interests :) It was brilliant to have you speak and I know that the feedback I heard was that people were really impressed and appreciated all the work you put in. Thanks Greg :)

Lastly thank you to everyone who submitted a photo and bought copies of the book. If you would like to buy a copy, send either a PM or an email (boardsbook at gmail .com) and we can look into doing a bulk order depending on the numbers etc. At €20 a copy it is a bargain and the photos this year are fantastic.

Until the next book.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Hey all,

Sorry for slight delay in posting, I had such a good night - I hope you did too!

First of all I need to say a huge thank you to those who sponsored raffle prizes -

Complete Fitness (Pembroke St.) kindly donated 5 classes to the value of €85 which was won by none other than DeVore himself. We look forward to an update Tom! Thank you Dylan and everyone in Complete Fitness, the prize is much appreciated.
    logo.png
    Web: http://completefitness.ie/
    FB: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Complete-Fitness/115491918480817
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZAZ9ER-x1y8XqtWhNoFExA/videos

As we wandered on our Photowalk on Saturday we found ourselves in the Bumbleance talking to a really nice guy - shout out to Matt. As it turned out, Matt is also in the National Ambulance Service Pipes and Drums band who have recently published a wonderful book themselves to raise funds for the Pipe Band. He kindly arranged for a colleague to go out to Swords and pick up a copy of the book so that we could have it in our raffle! The book is a pictorial history of the Ambulance Vehicles of Ireland and was won on the night by Obrano's +1.
    The book is on sale now and can be bought by contacting the NAS band through their facebook page linked above - for anyone with an interest in history and vehicles etc. it's a great publication and well worth supporting.
    8569269993_b518099193_n.jpgNational Ambulance Service Pipes and Drums by Greg Clarke, on Flickr

A copy of David Gibson's Street Photography book was donated by our own Eyeblinks and was won by mystic86 - whom I'm sure will really enjoy it. Thank you Tommie!

The other prizes on the night included whiskey, beer and chocolates and went to various members - with all proceeds going into the Santa Strike Force collection pot. Thank you all for buying raffle tickets and supporting the cause!!

I have to say thank you to Dav for all of his work in setting up for the night, buying the wine, arranging the launch and everything else he has been doing behind the scenes.

This year's book was printed by Lettertec Ireland who are the guys behind Self Publish Books. Thank you to Andrew in particular who took on board our design and have delivered exactly what we wanted. It's great to have been able to have the books printed in Ireland with such great service.
    lettertec-ireland.jpg
    Thank you to Ceacg for arranging the Photowalk, we definitely earned that dinner with the miles we put in! We were really lucky with the weather and the locations provided lots of opportunities with the Emergency Services event in Trinity and a fundraiser fairy party with storm troopers in the grounds of St. Patrick's Cathedral. Thanks Emily!

Thank you to Cabansail for mastering the software and doing the design, you took it on not having used it before and fair play you nailed it :)

Thank you to Art_Deko who gave a super presentation on the night, catering to all of our interests :) It was brilliant to have you speak and I know that the feedback I heard was that people were really impressed and appreciated all the work you put in. Thanks Greg :)

Lastly thank you to everyone who submitted a photo and bought copies of the book. If you would like to buy a copy, send either a PM or an email (boardsbook at gmail .com) and we can look into doing a bulk order depending on the numbers etc. At €20 a copy it is a bargain and the photos this year are fantastic.

Until the next book.. :)

A great night and a great cause, thanks Tiriel for all the work you put in! :)

C9576DD437C14AB59E10834F62A7A1B0-0000359651-0003795310-00800L-2CC388B4C0EC40F7B45694FE03A51145.jpg

• Advertisement

I'm looking forward to reporting how the pilates goes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

DeVore wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to reporting how the pilates goes :)

I take it as a given that pictures will be provided ;)

I had one other thing I meant to mention on the night and of course I forgot it. Eyeblinks is opening a really special exhibition on Thursday night and it'd be great if people are around to support.

There's a write up in the paper (not that paper..) about it today!

The Copper House Gallery
    St Kevin's Cottages
    Synge Street
    Dublin 8

Piece in Le Cool too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

I had one other thing I meant to mention on the night and of course I forgot it. Eyeblinks is opening a really special exhibition on Thursday night and it'd be great if people are around to support.

There's a write up in the paper (not that paper..) about it today!

The Copper House Gallery
    St Kevin's Cottages
    Synge Street
    Dublin 8

10 article limit :(

Copy and paste?

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭EyeBlinks

Sorry about the paywall guys. There's another piece in Le Cool. Hope to see some of ye there :)

EyeBlinks wrote: »
    Sorry about the paywall guys. There's another piece in Le Cool. Hope to see some of ye there :)

That link isn't working for me.

adox wrote: »
    That link isn't working for me.

http://dublin.lecool.com/event/imperfect-normality/

One other person needs to be thanked. Tiriel did the majority of the work to get this (and previous) edition of the book published. Not only has she been able to keep the book published in Ireland she also has negotiated a very good price. There was a lot of liaison required with Lettertec as this was a new project for them and we had a few set backs, not the least was Andrew having a serious car accident which delayed the publication and launch. After all these hassles the folk at Lettertec thanked us for being the easiest customer to get along with despite the problems.

Tiriel also is a fantastic proof reader and was able to pick up even the most minor of mistakes. There were many drafts as late images came in or there were requests for alterations. Modifying the Indesign file was easy but then I had to export and upload a new PDF version. It finally came down to a single full stop missing on a late page. We were going to leave that but with the delay going to print it was corrected.
    THANK YOU TIRIEL

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭secman

Really looking forward to seeing the book. ..hurry up postman!

• Advertisement

CabanSail wrote: »
    One other person needs to be thanked. Tiriel did the majority of the work to get this (and previous) edition of the book published. Not only has she been able to keep the book published in Ireland she also has negotiated a very good price. There was a lot of liaison required with Lettertec as this was a new project for them and we had a few set backs, not the least was Andrew having a serious car accident which delayed the publication and launch. After all these hassles the folk at Lettertec thanked us for being the easiest customer to get along with despite the problems.

Tiriel also is a fantastic proof reader and was able to pick up even the most minor of mistakes. There were many drafts as late images came in or there were requests for alterations. Modifying the Indesign file was easy but then I had to export and upload a new PDF version. It finally came down to a single full stop missing on a late page. We were going to leave that but with the delay going to print it was corrected.
    THANK YOU TIRIEL
    Absolutely! Well said CS!

Advertisement