Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new, vicious fight

Options
  • 04-07-2015 9:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭

I was watching a video on the indo website, where it showed the "rally for life" - the anti-abortion rally that takes place every year. There was a crowd of about 10,000 there (according to gardai) and of course the pro-choice crowd came with a counter demonstration. I was at the spire with the pro-choice side two or so years ago, and I can sum up the whole thing as "two sides shouting at each other", and it looked no different this year. The gay marriage debate that went on this year got fairly vicious at times, but this is on a whole other level.

What do you guys think, will we see a referendum/debate on the issue after the next gen election or will it remain in limbo? And if there is a referendum, how do you think it will go down?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 367 ✭✭justchecked

The pro choice side should cancel their planned counter demo.
    It should be aborted right away.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,415 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

There will be endless referendums until we grow up and take care of our own problems.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 127 ✭✭Buzz Meeks

Could it not all be settled with paper, rock, scissors?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

They'll be killed in a referendum - butchered like their sacred foetuses. Those are the photos I'd like to see.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

I was there today.

I was surprised at the viciousness of the counter-rally. Everything was dug up to try and throw at the anti-abortion people, accusations of homophobia, women hating, religious corruption, I even saw a poster along the lines of "Divorce should be a right". It was a complete grasping-at-straws situation. What these people dont seem to realise is that there are gay pro-lifers and atheist pro-lifers too! The issue is abortion, but they tried to make it into a one-size-fits-all liberal v conservative thing.

Something else that surprised me was the type of people in the counter-demonstration. I always assumed that atheists would be wannabee-sophisticated D4 types. What I saw were mostly Gotts and Crusties, for want of a better description. There was one fairly rotund fella there form atheist Ireland, and it was obvious he wasnt the full schilling. I was secretly heartened when I saw the type of people in the counter-demonstration, lets just say they were doing a good job of letting themselves down.

The worst incident I saw was a little he-woman who punched a pensioner. She ran into the crowd, about 3 people in front of me, and pulled a poster off a young boy. She tried to rip it up. The old man who was with the boy stood between them to stop her, and she gave him punch in the face. In fairness, it was fairly light, although it was her max effort. The Guards came running, and suddenly yer one changed from a hard-man lesbian into a damsel in distress, throwing herself to the ground crying trying to implicate the pensioner in some way. The Guards were having none of it though.

I just felt sorry for the boy in the situation. Yer one was a pure scumbag.

HA! I just watched the video, you can see her from 41 to 51 secs, short hair, orange T-shirt! I must have literally just walked by the camera! From the looks of that site, the whole thing is pretty pro-abortion biased.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 367 ✭✭justchecked

Pro choice should rally anywhere but O'Connell st.
    The backdrop of a giant needle doesn't help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

I'm firmly on one side of the thing but I'm not bothered to post which side. One thing I will say though is that the people that campaign on both sides are as bad as each other. We seem to be getting further and further away from a mature discussion on the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Not a NSA agent

After the whole gay people molesting children thing I cant wait to see what the religious nuts come up with for this one. Probably something like if we remove the 8th amendment it will be possible to kill children of any age.

Most people are somewhere on a scale but as people tend to pick some random point on it then nobody will budge.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

It was some sight see all those men of childbearing age sticking up for their fellow pro-life women, as if the women couldn't speak up for themselves or something, but that's none of my business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

This is far more important than the marriage referendum and I say that as a gay person. It is going to get vicious, it will be an absolute nightmare. But it's necessary, it's got to be sorted out for once and for all, the women of Ireland can't keep paying such a terrible cost for the sake of politicians' job security.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

of the two sides the pro abortion side is the most hysterical and ****ing offensive to basic humanity. it's just a shame the pro-life side is full of religious nuts and people who can't accept simple biology

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

I don't really get the argument, The anti side will never abort a child that's their right not to chose to. Just like you don't have to learn to drive or don't have to marry someone of the same sex. But the option should be there in case a woman decides to avail of this option. I just hate the emotive language used. Especially by an organisation that only cares about Unborn children. Once they are born they don't care, If they die sure you can toss them into a septic tank. Or protect and cover up the abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

I just hate the emotive language used.
    Too right.

"You don't care if women die"
    "You must hate women"

and

"Stop killing babies"
    "Pro-aborts are murderers!"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

In fairness non gay people did stick up for gay rights and it was great.

I must say I dislike that kind of protests. I think it is moronic to draw attention to prolifers and give a group of people who value religious dogma more than empathy to fellow humans any more air time than strictly necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

As a man with little grasp on a complex issue such as abortion, it is sometimes helpful to examine the names of those on opposing sides of the arguments.

When I see names like Youth Defence, Eoghan De Faoite, Fuaxdelma Healy Whiffy Eames, Mattie McGrath on one side, I am automatically on the other side. Whatever that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

meeeeh wrote: »
    In fairness non gay people did stick up for gay rights and it was great.

I must say I dislike that kind of protests. I think it is moronic to draw attention to prolifers and give a group of people who value religious dogma more than empathy to fellow humans any more air time than strictly necessary.

In fairness, Youth Defence and the like try and paint themselves as the voice of Ireland on this issue, they constantly inflate the numbers that are at the protests in press releases and make out like it's only a handful of mentally ill weirdos on the payroll of lesbian anarchists in Brussels who are pushing for pro-choice in Ireland. It's important that that narrative is challenged, and is seen to be challenged.

I think there is another abortion referendum a-coming, and I hope to god it's a straight up repeal of the eighth. It will be vicious though, all those bright eyed and idealistic youngsters who saw supporting marriage equality as a really brave thing to do will have their eyes opened

it looked no different this year

Funny to read that because Micheal Nugent on his Facebook just posted:

"Today's anti-choice rally in Dublin was much smaller, older, less screamy and more subdued than previous ones."
    Buzz Meeks wrote: »

Lizard spock!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

I'd say the police in Dublin are sick of these 'protests' at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Buzz Meeks wrote: »

Paper, rock, scissors, coat hanger.

• Advertisement

After the whole gay people molesting children thing I cant wait to see what the religious nuts come up with for this one. Probably something like if we remove the 8th amendment it will be possible to kill children of any age.

Most people are somewhere on a scale but as people tend to pick some random point on it then nobody will budge.

You can stop there. The age of the child doesnt matter. Your words, repealing the 8th will make it possible to kill children.

People, I wouldnt be surprised if a second civil war was brewing, over a number of things. The Troubles were sparked over far less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Not a NSA agent

newmug wrote: »
    You can stop there. The age of the child doesnt matter. Your words, repealing the 8th will make it possible to kill children.

People, I wouldnt be surprised if a second civil war was brewing, over a number of things. The Troubles were sparked over far less.

Wow, thats very harsh, of course children matter. Your words, children dont matter. Do you see what happens when you bold sections of a sentence without the rest?

Repealing the 8th will make it possible for the government to implement legislation giving women the right to have some level of control over their own bodies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

Have we not already had a referendum on abortion? Respect the people's decision I say.

RayM wrote: »
    Repealing the 8th will make it possible for the government to implement legislation giving women the right to have some level of control over their own bodies.

Would this apply to all Irish females? What about the ones alive and well in their mothers wombs? What control will it give them?

Would this apply to all Irish females? What about the ones alive and well in their mothers wombs? What control will it give them?

What other rights would you extend to foetuses?

RayM wrote: »
    What other rights would you extend to foetuses?

The right not to be murdered - like every other human being.

The right not to be murdered.

Abortion isn't murder. Not even under current Irish law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

I'm pro choice but not pro abortion. I'd prefer it legal ( within term limits) but not very common.

I think that's the most common position. Both sides protesting today are fairly nuts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

The right not to be murdered - like every other human being.

Look up "Murder" look up "Fetus"

Advertisement