Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail jobs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Willie Stroker 1976

Got offered a position too, but turned it down to pursue a career in my dream job, pays well and most weekends off, working close to home too, its chewing hay for gummy chickens. Lol, best of luck to ya’s. hopefully someday may join you guys. Never got to the interview or medical stages, but also didn’t get the rejection email but an email saying they’ll keep me on file. So here’s to hoping. Best of luck to the rest of ya’s waiting for word back

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭AssaultedPeanut

I'll be starting on Monday with Mario...I had an interview on the Thursday..... Hope that helps!!
    mario84s wrote: »
    As Locodriver said, things moved quick. Interview, waited roughly 2 weeks, medical, a follow up medical, and day after that was asked to provide references... Within a week of that offered employment.

Thanks a mill guys. That's very helpful. Congrats to you both & good luck on Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 44 MrBumBum

Congrats lads. Was there any mention of the capacity for training? Would it be safe to assume you lot are the best of the best and there won't be another batch recruited until after your 23 or 24 weeks or whatever it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Are all those offered only DART?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Does this sudden take-up up of jobs with Irish Rail by Boardsies mean that this forum is going to be filled with contributions from well informed sources with the 'inside track' on the company? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭CiboC

Congratulations to both of you for getting through!

I had my interview last week and they told me:

- It would be a few weeks before I would hear further
    - They were planning two new classes starting around the end of April / beginning of May (dates TBC)
    - Each class is about 8 people
    - There is no crossover between diesel and dart - you are one or the other.
    - They need both diesel and dart drivers

Fingers still crossed here, I thought my interview went well, but then I always think my interviews go well and have been disappointed before....!

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Does this sudden take-up up of jobs with Irish Rail by Boardsies mean that this forum is going to be filled with contributions from well informed sources with the 'inside track' on the company? :D

It will be great come strike time!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Melanie1990

CiboC wrote: »
    Congratulations to both of you for getting through!

I had my interview last week and they told me:

- It would be a few weeks before I would hear further
    - They were planning two new classes starting around the end of April / beginning of May (dates TBC)
    - Each class is about 8 people
    - There is no crossover between diesel and dart - you are one or the other.
    - They need both diesel and dart drivers

Fingers still crossed here, I thought my interview went well, but then I always think my interviews go well and have been disappointed before....!

Thanks for the info. I sat my interview at the beginning of March and haven't had any word regarding medical yet. I was in the last batch so still hoping to hear something, especially if there are more training classes in May.Fingers crossed, I'm not ready to give up hope just yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭mario84s

nah, will be too busy in the training centre... :D
    there has been some god info on this thread, but once it came to the interviews etc it went quiet. main one being that the job is a competition and it's either you or the better informed person.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 anon2019!

R people starting Monday for dart or train ?

Like the other two poster,I also will be starting training monday 15th 09.30 sharp in inchicore,

Hopefully a few more boardsies get through and we'll meet on the tracks,

Best of luck to you all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

anon2019! wrote: »
    R people starting Monday for dart or train ?

One poster starting on Monday for DART, May not be the case for all though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,781 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

So only all Dubs then?

Looking for people from the regions was only a load of bollocks?

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭AssaultedPeanut

So only all Dubs then?

Looking for people from the regions was only a load of bollocks?

No they need people at regional depots too. They said they were progressing with dublin candidates first because that's where they're the most short staffed.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭seanbrady49

No they need people at regional depots too. They said they were progressing with dublin candidates first because that's where they're the most short staffed.

Got the email to confirm this a few weeks back, dublin first then the rest of the country.
    don't mind waiting too much, close to bonus time for me.

If its just for the dart then thr dart people wouldn't be in the class and they would be for the train yes??
    I wonder has any classes been set up for the train yet
    As far as im aware its just for the dart, in the IR staff magazine they were advertising for drivers to come off the dart and go onto the diesels so I guess our class will be to allow those drivers who wish to come off the dart to do so

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Oh please, a DART is a train! Are all the posts here for real?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭blueband

IR differentiate between DART and the suburban/city express/enterprise services which are considered locomotive.

Yes it's a train, but a completely different type of train obviously, and apparently the training is quite different and 100% separated in terms of driver assignment

As far as im aware its just for the dart, in the IR staff magazine they were advertising for drivers to come off the dart and go onto the diesels so I guess our class will be to allow those drivers who wish to come off the dart to do so

Want staff to go to Diesel yet they can't even staff the DART. You couldn't make it up. NTA are to soft allowing them to continue with daily cancellations/train failures on the DART for 7 months now.

THey don't even bother informing people of cancellations now...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

No they did not, however there is a related issue of DART drivers now being allowed transfer onto the diesel if they so wish which has come about following delegation at the WRC and with independent facilitators, there is a legitimate background story to this.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Want staff to go to Diesel yet they can't even staff the DART. You couldn't make it up. NTA are to soft allowing them to continue with daily cancellations/train failures on the DART for 7 months now.

THey don't even bother informing people of cancellations now...

The NTA pushed IE to run the 10 minute DART despite knowing they were 20+ DART drivers short of the required minimum to run it, it was the NTA who stated they would allow cancellations in order to get it up and running and acknowledged there would be up to 24 months of cancellations, it was either that or wait another 2 years to get it off the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

GM228 wrote: »
    No they did not, however there is a related issue of DART drivers now being allowed transfer onto the diesel if they so wish which has come about following delegation at the WRC and with independent facilitators, there is a legitimate background story to this.

In relation to this, if one was successful and told they will be in the dart class, they go onto dart and decide they want to do diesel instead they cannot be stopped ?

I wouldn't mind hearing the back ground to this if possible (without incriminating yourself !)

• Advertisement

In relation to this, if one was successful and told they will be in the dart class, they go onto dart and decide they want to do diesel instead they cannot be stopped ?

You go were your told basically. You have the option of requesting a transfer after a minimum period of appointed service however, but it affords no guarantees.

I wouldn't mind hearing the back ground to this if possible (without incriminating yourself !)

Diesel drivers have been able to transfer to other locations or the DART for years (that's how the DART was set up with existing diesel drivers at the time), the DART drivers got parity with diesel drivers in terms of transfer options.

2 completely different types of training!!
    Train is diesel dart isn't.

anon2019! wrote: »
    2 completely different types of training!!
    Train is diesel dart isn't.

DART is a brand, both are still trains just different power sources...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

That doesn't change the fact there are 2 completely different training programmes for them.

You can't go from a luas to an Intercity train just because they're both types of trains.

That doesn't change the fact there are 2 completely different training programmes for them.

You can't go from a luas to an Intercity train just because they're both types of trains.

Indeed nor was I trying to, both are equally trains just different power sources and obliviously different training until bi-mode changes this.

Off topic interesting to see if DART drivers will be merged with Connolly/Drogheada etc long term if bi-mode happens along with electrification on Maynooth/N Commuter etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

But can they both be called Choo-choos though?

Careful now, some will argue a tram is not a train :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,781 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

But can they both be called Choo-choos though?

No.
    They haven't emitted a "Choo Choo" sound in over 50 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Well it's been a long process but I'm delighted to say I got the call today and I'll be starting in the diesel class on the 23rd.
    Best of luck to everyone else still in the running.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Fred1983

Hey man congratulations on the job. Can I ask u what was the process for getting the job, when did it start and what were the stages cheers

Advertisement