Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail jobs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 james87c

Iv received an invite this morning myself i taught I had been forgotten about. It’s gonna be tough to be on a video call for 1 hour 30 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Alpha1-1Cretty

@james87c Don't worry man we'll get through it. The more it flows like a regular conversation the better really. I've been told it goes by quicker than you would think it does. We're almost there. No point in getting scared now! 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

You'll be grand. Just remember to surround your monitor with notes!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Johng88

My 16pf lasted about 50 minutes and line manager was just a bit longer. As long as you hit the points they want to hear they don't need you to talk too much just explain your story health and safety is primary and you never cut corners. You'll smash it

• Registered Users Posts: 21 yuppiaa

Well lads I applied last year and got up to the 16pf interview and unfortunately no further, I’m back in again and have my 16pf next week. Could you give me some of the pre interview questions if ye remember? I can’t remember a lot of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Johng88

I was asked about dealing with an emergency

A time a had to deal with my own emotions

A time I helped another person in an emotional situation.

A time where you had to deal with an aggressive person.

Working with health and safety protocols eg. A check sheet. Would you bypass protocols to speed up a process or if management told you too. Never bypass health and safety protocols is the answer every time.

That's as much as I can remember at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 leev24

Up to my eyes never got a minute to post how it went! I'll post below in case this goes to you privately!!

Ok, sorry I was away and didn't get a minute to post how my line managers interview went.

Went well I think.. lasted an HR, there were 3 people one HR and 2 were diesel drivers. They said it could be diesel or dart they will be offering jobs for the greater Dublin area based on business needs.

They asked me for an overview of my work /CV to date giving brief details of my achievements etc. They asked questions based on following rules and regs, safety.

Examples of when you've had to deal with a difficult situation and go through it with the STAR method, also an emergency situation. They asked me to outline in my job how I'd go about certain tasks related to my job as in a checklist of all the processes that I did from start to finish.

They asked me why I wanted the job, why I applied.

They said training would be after April if I got the job but never said when exactly. Withing your responses they wanted to dig deeper to see how YOU did what you did so don't go on much about what anyone else did. If they are happy with your answers they will move on if not they will push for more detail about WHAT you did and HOW you felt.

My advice is stay calm, just let your personality shine through, they won't bite. I felt it went really well. I can only hope it's enough.

Preparation is key you need to focus on having good examples if you felt like your previous ones weren't up to scratch, change them. I do and I was happier for it.

Also they will ask about your knowledge of Irish Rail so be sure to know some brief information such as where all greater Dublin darts, commuters, freights and intercity go to . Doesn't have to be tonnes of info just be sure to have some information ready. I think that's all I can remember for now! if I recall some more important info I'll post.

Cheers! Lisa

@leev24

Thanks a million for all the details, all of this information has been very insightful. I have my HR in the morning and company have said they're looking to finish the interview phase as a whole within the next few weeks. Its all going to escalate quite rapidly for those of us who have yet to do their interviews. This information works wonders in regards to reducing stress and giving us a better picture of the road ahead so this is much appreciated.

Thanks again for the info.

Happy to pass on the info, it's already been a long road and months of work put in for everyone so the more relaxed you can be at the interview the better the chances.

Looking forward to hearing from them. Either was I can say I did my very best and hopefully theres a job offer at the end of it!

Best of luck to everyone doing their interviews and medicals 🌟

• Advertisement

Well that feels to have gone very well Thanks again everyone for the tips you've all be absolutely amazing!

@leev24 Hopefully you're not too busy but,

I've been going over your previous guidance just so I can keep on top of it.

When you said "you'll have to give an example of a difficult situation" would that be in any way akin to the "Give an example of a time you dealt with an emotionally difficult situation", the "give an example of when you achieved something difficult" or none of the above?

In a sense I'm wondering if they are just trying to consolidate on the "achievemt oriented" and "emotional stability" sections of the HR interview, or if they're looking for some new material to review.

I'm fairly comfortable with the Company Knowledge side of things as well as reviewing the CV i have on hand from a short while ago.

In my head the main two factors in achieving anything great is Opportunity and Preparation and if I'm fortunate enough to recieve the opportunity to be invited to phase 4 Id be delighted to be a bit more prepared for it.

Any response is greatly appreciated as always and you've definitely been a great help to the lovely people here so far.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 gc_1991_

Hi all will have my first interview this morning and having come across this just want to say it’s been very helpful reading through it! Just wondering if anyone has any tips for the first interview or what kind of questions to expect?

thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭TheShepard

Be honest, err on the side of safety as well in any story...show that you don't deviate from the rules even under pressure.

Show enthusiasm and possibly want to further your career down the line. Ambition shows that you want to do well in your current role too.

Dont be too worried they are just humans looking for honest, hard-working staff. Don't overcomplicate it, worked for me nearly 5 years ago!

Best of Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 18 corcaigh12

Does anyone know if for the medical they get medical records from your GP? Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 37 slowclap

Only if they need to clarify/follow up on something or need more info.

Second and last interview tomorrow. Its now or never. I'll either come out of this with an invite for a medical or a sore arse 😂

Hope everyone in the same boat has good fortune with the last hurdle.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 samcro_savagery

Hey Man Good Luck. I had my Line Manager Interview today seems to have went well but hard to tell. They did say if i passed today then i would be sent on for a medical. They also said a new class started yesterday 25th so next class wont be for a couple of months. Fingers Crossed we get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

They run classes concurrently. Even if a class started on Monday, they might still have another class starting in a couple of weeks.

How was your interview? Was it much the same as the 16PF interview before this one or trickier ??

• Advertisement

@corcaigh12 it certainly felt trickier to be honest and more to the point in a way, that's not necessarily a bad thing as it was a fairly prompt interview yano.

Trying to connect with 3 people and keep them engaged over a virtual call feels a little off but I got my points across and kept myself focused and calm lol. I feel it went well I'll know for sure in 2 to 4 weeks.

Did you find the attachment in the email sent was of any help to you? Glad it went well..

• Registered Users Posts: 40 TheBackRoads

I got an email from them after a long while of waiting, I unfortunately didn't pass the interview, but maybe next time around. Thanks to everyone that gave advice in here and helped me get this far.

Best of luck guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 slowclap

Sorry to hear that.

Which interview? 16pf or line manager?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 TheBackRoads

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Designator

how long were you waiting? I did my final interview last September and I’m still waiting

@corcaigh12

Apologies for the late reply.

I suppose it did in the sense that it gave me insight into what I should expect from it as far as timing and structure goes.

I didn't find it any more useful than that as I already knew the finer details beforehand and a lot of it was quite bog standard for an interview of this nature. Anecdotes were just as important as the 16pf because of the necessity for non technical skills etc. A little more intense than the previous interview but that was also okay with me. I'll know in about a week what happens next.

Hope this is of help to you and everyone else in here.

Thanks, hope itis positive for you. I have mine tomorrow week so trying to be extra prepared! 🤣

Can anyone please tell me, what kind of information are they looking for when they want you to give them information about Irish rail for the line manager interview? That they do intercity, commuter, freight? What else, should I tell them? Where all greater dublin darts etc go if I am not applying for Dublin? Or should I just give them some information about the depot I applied for ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Designator

anyone on here that’s done the medical and line manager interview and all since last September and still waiting to hear word?

Got no rejection email or anything just silence. Contacted the HR girl January and she told me she’d get back to me with an update but still haven’t heard anything

Advertisement