Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happens if an exam paper goes missing

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭A97

Once again, there's no fair thing to do in that situation but wouldn't it have been best to just mark them out of what they received once the error was discovered? Although it might have been too late at that point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

A97 wrote: »
    Once again, there's no fair thing to do in that situation but wouldn't it have been best to just mark them out of what they received once the error was discovered? Although it might have been too late at that point.

I suppose it'd be unfair. Generally the exam should allow for different skills and preferences to be presented so that students can do better in other areas. So if your Art practical had gone missing (and this was your strongest preference) would it be fair to just give you the grade for the other area... so in essence the exam across the board would have been 'unfair' to all students.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Surely with things like pieces of artwork (and other practical subjects), they could keep a photographic record for back-up? I know it's not the same as a hands-on inspection of the piece, but if there were a series of photos from different angles, an examiner could probably tell how good the workmanship was... (I am probably talking crap here, but it just strikes me as odd that there wouldn't be a record of it)

Though when you think about the number of candidates and all the components there are, it's actually surprising that we don't here about things going missing more frequently. The system obviously works well most of the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Surely with things like pieces of artwork (and other practical subjects), they could keep a photographic record for back-up? I know it's not the same as a hands-on inspection of the piece, but if there were a series of photos from different angles, an examiner could probably tell how good the workmanship was... (I am probably talking crap here, but it just strikes me as odd that there wouldn't be a record of it)

Though when you think about the number of candidates and all the components there are, it's actually surprising that we don't here about things going missing more frequently. The system obviously works well most of the time!

This was 1995. People didn't go around with a camera in their pocket all the time taking photos of everything that moved. Using cameras was a special occasion thing. Taking photos of projects back then would have been extremely unusual even for Art I'd imagine.

A lot of practical coursework is now examined in the schools, so there is less chance of work going missing and also for it to get damaged in transit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Enjoy Heroin Responsibly

This got me thinking. what would happen to the student if one of their exams went missing. Would they automatically be given an A1 or would they have to re-sit the exam.

The SEC would issue an "ah shure it'll be grand" statement stating that examiners will take the error into account when marking and nobody will loose out as a result. The media will unquestioningly report on the above statement despite it being patently nonsensical to anyone with an ounce of understanding of how these things work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

There are alternate / back-up papers prepared every year, just in case of emergency.

Remember Englishgate a few years ago? ... when English P2 was given out instead of P1 by mistake, and the whole country had to do the back-up paper the following Saturday? ;)

That was my secondary school.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Your year? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Wing126 wrote: »
    That was my secondary school.

Naturally enough I blame the first student who received the wrong paper.... he should have known and handed it back :pac::pac::pac:

The poor teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

I don't do superintendent, but don't one or two students have to sign the package the exams are in? Can only vaguely remember from my youth. What's the purpose of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Thar_Cian

Is it not to ensure the papers haven't been opened?

• Advertisement
Advertisement